HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Columbus clinches playoff berth

Old
03-20-2017, 03:50 PM
DarkandStormy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackandLube View Post
What effect is this having in Columbus among fans and casuals?

I know it's a big college sports town more than hockey. Has this season improved their local fanbase?
Local TV ratings are up...bigly. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...L-ratings.aspx Up over 100% YoY.

Home attendance will finish at its highest mark since 2007.

A lot of things helped, but of course winning cures most everything. Nearly any non-Canadian market would have suffered with fan attendance & enthusiasm with consistent losing and just two playoff series losses (no wins) in 16 years.

The local amateur football team got smashed in their bowl game. That coincided with the 16-game win streak, so there was more time afforded to pay attention to the CBJ. Additionally, the local amateur basketball team was atrocious so those extra entertainment dollars and eyeballs have gone to the Jackets. Several of the largest crowds in CBJ history and several of the highest-rated regular season games in CBJ history have come this season.

Now, if the team can pick off a playoff series win and be a top 5 team next year? Then you'll get the city really cooking.

DarkandStormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Hawksfan2828

I remember what it was like when the Hawks finally made the playoffs after about a decade of obscurity.... It was progress lol. Actually just going to the playoffs was something special.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:19 PM
MickeyMelchiondo

I like Columbus and will be pulling for them in the playoffs [Flyers fan]

MickeyMelchiondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:20 PM
Tweedsuitcase

Caps fan and no fan of Torts, but a fan of Hockey in Columbus.

Metro is going to be a bloodbath.

NYR should be thanking the old gods and the new.

Tweedsuitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:42 PM
Sam Spade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
I keep seeing references, mainly from Penguin fans, about how Columbus is a dirty team. Can someone provide a list of all the players that have been hurt this year when playing the Blue Jackets? Having seen all but a handful of their games I'm guessing it's a pretty short list.
People make me laugh with this stuff.

Have people not been watching Hornqvist run into, slash, tackle and spear goalies all season?

The only justice seems to be HIS concussion problems this season. I am sure though he will be ready to go and in fine form come playoff time.

Holtby and/or Bob better be ready.

Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:32 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
People make me laugh with this stuff.

Have people not been watching Hornqvist run into, slash, tackle and spear goalies all season?

The only justice seems to be HIS concussion problems this season. I am sure though he will be ready to go and in fine form come playoff time.

Holtby and/or Bob better be ready.
Ah, but you see, Dubinsky has on multiple occasions refused to treat Crosby like some sort of Untouchable Holy Saint and therefore DIRTY PLAYER ON DIRTY TEAM WITH DIRTY COACH!!!!1111111one

They say Crosby whines a lot, but I don't really see it out of him. His fans, OTOH... oh my.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:34 PM
letsgooooooojackets
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
I think there's a natural rivalry there that was ready to get going as soon as Columbus became a good team. After the fairly intense 2014 series Columbus kind of stumbled the next two seasons, but they're back with a vengeance this season. Not to mention your coach absolutely hates the penguins.

Columbus is a team i'd like to avoid honestly. I think Pittsburgh can beat them, but it would be a grueling, intense series, and not one that i would want to follow up with a series against Washington. And of course there's the possibility of Columbus winning. You don't have 100 points in March by fluke, they're a legit threat to win the cup. #1 in the metro is becoming a big deal, as i doubt Toronto or NYI would pose much of a threat in comparison.
Finally a reasonable Penguins fan who doesn't feel the need to constantly trash CBJ and discredit the minimal success we have had. I applaud you, sir.

letsgooooooojackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:26 PM
leesmith
Still in.

My wife (not a big hockey fan) said "oh great, now that our coach has the team winning, some bigger team like New York will try to hire him away." LOLOLOL

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:27 PM
tomtostitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgooooooojackets View Post
You're always welcome! Who would've thought for the past 16 years people wanted to join OUR bandwagon?!
To be honest, I think myself and a lot of other fans have always had a soft spot for the Jackets. But they're playing awesome hockey and I now consider them one of my favourite teams to watch and cheer for! Go Blue Jackets!!

tomtostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:30 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Ah, but you see, Dubinsky has on multiple occasions refused to treat Crosby like some sort of Untouchable Holy Saint and therefore DIRTY PLAYER ON DIRTY TEAM WITH DIRTY COACH!!!!1111111one

They say Crosby whines a lot, but I don't really see it out of him. His fans, OTOH... oh my.
So it's okay to crosscheck Crosby in the back of the head?

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
It's just as okay as spearing Bobrovsky. Or boarding Tyutin.

It's not "we're lily-white angels and all is well", it's "stop pretending that it's just us and we're over the top; you have and have had just as many guys who pull just as much crap too and nobody is fooled."

The presence of Sidney Crosby does not grant your team plenary indulgence.

Last edited by Viqsi: 03-20-2017 at 08:23 PM. Reason: tpyofix and missing sentence
Old
03-20-2017, 08:54 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
I can assure you nobody will post a thread on this forum when the Rangers clinch..
Because it happens all the time.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:26 PM
MrBrightside

Columbus fans talking smack to Penguins fans is, well, interesting.

MrBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:36 PM
CBJSlash

I like our matchup with the Pens IF...

we play our game and roll 4 lines. Our depth is tremendous.

Last series with Pitt, we chased the matchup with Crosby/Dubinsky and had no continuity with our lines and no flow. Let Wennberg and Karlsson take some shifts against him. Not sure what Torts plans to do, but we'll see within 10 minutes of Game 1.

Having home ice, and the second change, would help us.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:53 PM
Dirtfloor

When my team grows up, I want it to be just like the Penguins.

Dirtfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:02 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
We'll try to be more intimidated for y'all next time when we actually have expectations, okay?

Old
03-21-2017, 06:50 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Agreed. You'd think they would have sympathy for another organization that was absolutely abysmal for its first 17 or so years of existence.

Old
03-21-2017, 07:47 AM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Boo freakin' hoo. Dubinsky was penalized and suspended for that hit. Get over it, it happened like two years ago, the Pens have won a Cup and Crosby seems just fine, so let it go. Crosby can't take physical play and frankly never plays well against the Jackets because of it. In the last playoff series, if Malkin didn't take over, the results likely would have been different. I hope that Dubinsky keeps giving Crosby the business, it gets Crosby off his game every single time. Dubi is at his best when he's playing on the edge. If they meet in the playoffs, I don't think the Jackets will be intimidated by the Pens at all.

Kev22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 08:55 AM
Kangaroo Salesman
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
Boo freakin' hoo. Dubinsky was penalized and suspended for that hit. Get over it, it happened like two years ago, the Pens have won a Cup and Crosby seems just fine, so let it go. Crosby can't take physical play and frankly never plays well against the Jackets because of it. In the last playoff series, if Malkin didn't take over, the results likely would have been different. I hope that Dubinsky keeps giving Crosby the business, it gets Crosby off his game every single time. Dubi is at his best when he's playing on the edge. If they meet in the playoffs, I don't think the Jackets will be intimidated by the Pens at all.
lol one of the worst posts i ever seen. This kind of ignorance honestly makes you look bad, and makes other Columbus fans look bad too. Teams have been playing Crosby physical his whole life. Hasn't stopped him from becoming a dominant player.

Kangaroo Salesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 09:22 AM
WhiteWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo Salesman View Post
lol one of the worst posts i ever seen. This kind of ignorance honestly makes you look bad, and makes other Columbus fans look bad too. Teams have been playing Crosby physical his whole life. Hasn't stopped him from becoming a dominant player.
Honestly the only ignorant here is you. I would like to find out when Crosby has dominated Columbus? I don't care how many points he scores against the bottom feeders.
What happens to his dominance every time he plays against Jackets? You probably missed my post: he's minus-10 in 9 games against Columbus over the last 3 years, he has never been a plus player in a single game. Dubinski outscored him in every single game this season.

WhiteWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 09:29 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Standings, head to head. Looking forward to the 1st round.

Nordique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 09:33 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 241
I, for one, welcome our new Blue Jacket overlords and humbly request they take Pittsburgh down a peg during the playoffs.

#ExpansionBros

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 09:34 AM
Kangaroo Salesman
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
Honestly the only ignorant here is you. I would like to find out when Crosby has dominated Columbus? I don't care how many points he scores against the bottom feeders.
What happens to his dominance every time he plays against Jackets? You probably missed my post: he's minus-10 in 9 games against Columbus over the last 3 years, he has never been a plus player in a single game. Dubinski outscored him in every single game this season.
Maybe you should read better. I never said he dominates Columbus. The poster said Crosby wilts under physical, and i simply said teams have been playing him physical ever since he was a kid, it hasn't stopped him from becoming one of the best in the league. As far Dubinsky goes, that's great for him that he has shut down Crosby so far. But I'm still confident that he can play well against Columbus if they do meet in the playoffs.

Kangaroo Salesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 09:38 AM
WhiteWings

Quote:
Yeah, they should have at least some respect for the team that sucked even more than the Jackets when they came to the league, drafting in top-2 for 4 years in a row. The Jackets had only one top-2 pick in their entire history. The Pens sucked so well that the NHL still loves them.

WhiteWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 09:48 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Why would you? Its a wild card.
A clinch is a clinch....

surf is offline   Reply With Quote