HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Tortorella Cheats on the Penalty Shot

Old
03-19-2017, 04:44 PM
AuraSphere

vCash: 500
Tortorella Cheats on the Penalty Shot

I noticed there wasn't a thread on this, not sure if it's just my opinion but thought I'd bring it up.

In the Columbus - New Jersey game, Josh Anderson was awarded a penalty shot. Tortorella faked that there was an injury and that Anderson could not take the penalty shot. Anderson quickly went to hide in the tunnel, pretending he was injured, and as soon as Dubinsky scored the penalty shot goal, Josh Anderson came back out to the bench immediately.

Should this not be looked into? I don't think it's right at all.

AuraSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:45 PM
WhiskeySeven
Retired. Bye.

vCash: 300
No. In fact, I think it should be done MORE often.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:46 PM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Yeah, I think that's BS if Torts did that. Come on, man.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:46 PM
Christmas Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
oh well

03-19-2017, 04:47 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraSphere View Post
I noticed there wasn't a thread on this, not sure if it's just my opinion but thought I'd bring it up.

In the Columbus - New Jersey game, Josh Anderson was awarded a penalty shot. Tortorella faked that there was an injury and that Anderson could not take the penalty shot. Anderson quickly went to hide in the tunnel, pretending he was injured, and as soon as Dubinsky scored the penalty shot goal, Josh Anderson came back out to the bench immediately.

Should this not be looked into? I don't think it's right at all.

Torts didn't cheat, Anderson apparently complained of an injury. Prior to this, Torts let Sedlak take his penalty shot. Sedlak is ok but he is a 4th liner who just returned from injury. The Jackets were up 2-1. No reason to cheat and risk being disciplined.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:47 PM
AuraSphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
No. In fact, I think it should be done MORE often.
What, how is that even fair... So you're saying if Matt Cooke was tripped up on the play and awarded a penalty shot, it's fair to send out Sidney Crosby on his behalf?

Old
03-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Eric Sachs

It was all really weird. Anderson was on the bench hanging out for a few minutes while everything got sorted out and then suddenly had to go inside? Then he magically recovers without actually going to the locker-room? I mean I don't care for the Devils winning right now and like when teams look for edges but faking an injury is pretty low.

I'm really more annoyed by the fact he tried to send Gagner out there when Gagner was ineligible to take the shot because he was not the ice when the penalty shot was awarded. So we had to stop the game and the refs had to go figure out if he was on the ice.. and after it took a few minutes, made Tortorella pick someone else.

IMO, should be a delay of game penalty any time **** like that is caught. You're literally delaying the game when you knowingly try to send the wrong player to the box or wrong player to take a shot.. there's no reason it should happen. Penalty shot was called, it should take 30 seconds to resume play.

Eric Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:53 PM
FLYLine27
BUCH

He wasnt 100% so why should he take it? It wasnt cheating, please just stop.

FLYLine27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
KingsHockey24

Nice. Well done Torts.

KingsHockey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Weast
Ryan O'Money

Yeah, that fact that Torts tried to send Gagner out there is sus.

Weast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:55 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Yeah, that's crap.

03-19-2017, 04:56 PM
atreyuavenged

Defeats the purpose of having rules in place. Why not just send out your best skill guy or hell, even let the goalie shoot.

atreyuavenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Victorious Secret
Torchetti 4 Prez

vCash: 50
Pretty bush league. Should be a move pulled when you need it. But against the Devil's in a meaningless game when you're already leading? Come on.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rolo

If you aint cheatin', you aint tryin'

Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Turd Ferguson
Its a funny name

Should change the rule to let whoever they want to take the shot anyways. Cheapie there...

Turd Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 04:57 PM
AuraSphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine27 View Post
He seemed to be smiling and chilling on the bench, I don't get it. If he isn't a 100%, why is he still in the game. Why let his "injury" progress any worse.

This is an opinion thread where people share their opinions. You're entitled to your own as well, you can stop harassing others, thanks.

Old
03-19-2017, 04:57 PM
Eric Sachs

The rule FYI:

Quote:
If by reason of injury, the player designated by the Referee to take the penalty shot is unable to do so within a reasonable time, the shot may be taken by a player selected by the Captain of the non-offending team from the players on the ice when the foul was committed. Such selection shall be reported to the Referee and cannot be changed.

Old
03-19-2017, 04:58 PM
Seanaconda

I didn't watch this but it's believable that a person could be banged up enough to not instantly take a penalty shot. Gotta walk it off or whatever for a minute until you can skate properly again.

Edit yeah he hits his knee sometimes you're not injured but it takes a couple minutes

Seanaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanaconda View Post
I didn't watch this but it's believable that a person could be banged up enough to not instantly take a penalty shot. Gotta walk it off or whatever for a minute until you can skate properly again
I would have been fine with this. I think taking a minute or so is "reasonable" time and would be allowed under the rule.

Kinda odd for you to be not hurt and chilling on the bench while the play was reviewed.. then hurt and having to go off into the tunnel but not hurt enough that you have to go into the lockerroom.. then suddenly okay enough to continue playing? If he just needed to rest for a few minutes, why did he have to go into the tunnel at all? Seemed pretty obvious they were just doing it to justify the swap (which is funny considering Cory is terrible at them anyways).

Again, I love teams finding loopholes in the rules and taking advantage of them.. but faking an injury is pretty low. Luckily, I'd much prefer the outcome of today's game as is as a Devils fan so it really doesn't matter.. but this would be pretty controversial if it was in a more meaningful game.

Old
03-19-2017, 05:01 PM
Strait2thecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine27 View Post
If this happened to your team I have a feeling you'd have a different opinion.....

Strait2thecup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 05:02 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraSphere View Post
He seemed to be smiling and chilling on the bench, I don't get it. If he isn't a 100%, why is he still in the game. Why let his "injury" progress any worse.

This is an opinion thread where people share their opinions. You're entitled to your own as well, you can stop harassing others, thanks.
In addition to the fact that Torts already had let Sedlak take one when the game was tied...

Imagine you're Anderson. You just worked really hard on a PK shift. You were awarded a penalty shot. You have 16 goals on the year, this one would put you within striking distance of getting 20 and could help you command more money in your next contract.

Then Torts tells you to go stand in the tunnel and lets someone else take it. How would you react? Why would Torts risk upsetting you?

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 05:02 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Pretty bush league. Should be a move pulled when you need it. But against the Devil's in a meaningless game when you're already leading? Come on.
Seriously, why even bother cheating against the Devils? You really don't need to waste your time.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 05:03 PM
KCbus
Cerebral Assassin

Well, Anderson wasn't "faking" anything. He went down awkwardly after being taken down, and was shaken up.

So, he wasn't able to take the penalty shot.

Now -- by the time they sorted out the mess about who WAS going to take it, he had probably shaken it off to the point where he was OK to take it, but I think once he's ruled out, he's ruled out.

Is it a little sketchy? Perhaps. I think, personally, there should be a rule -- if a player is unable to take his own penalty shot due to a legitimate injury situation (and you could have a similar rule about a player who's unable to stay on the ice after an icing), he should be ineligible to play for -- I don't know, pick a length of time. Two minutes, five minutes, the rest of the period, whatever. Just to prevent shenanigans.

KCbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Ollie Weeks
First In, Last Out

Anderson is obviously banged up from the play, seems to only have gone back in the hallway during the PS as a way for Torts to tell the Jersey coach screaming about it to get stuffed. "Our guy is hurt and going to shake it off on the bench. You're going to scream about it? Fine, he'll stand in the hallway for 30 seconds, happy now?" Seems like a Torts move to make, I kinda liked it.

Trying to sneak Gagner out is a whole different matter though. Got caught pulling a fast one there.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 05:04 PM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
In addition to the fact that Torts already had let Sedlak take one when the game was tied...

Imagine you're Anderson. You just worked really hard on a PK shift. You were awarded a penalty shot. You have 16 goals on the year, this one would put you within striking distance of getting 20 and could help you command more money in your next contract.

Then Torts tells you to go stand in the tunnel and lets someone else take it. How would you react? Why would Torts risk upsetting you?
You would listen to your coach and do as he says? Not sure throwing a tantrum accomplishes anything

You don't know Torts at all if you think he gives a **** about what Josh Anderson thinks

Torts was obviously looking for an edge here. It's why he sent Gagner out (or did he just not want to upset Gagner too now?). He probably saw Anderson was tired and didn't think it was going to be a good attempt.. but this seems pretty obvious IMO.