HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Tortorella Cheats on the Penalty Shot

Old
03-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Dirtfloor

vCash: 500
And to think this all could have been avoided by not getting a penalty.

Dirtfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 08:50 PM
major major

If I was a Devils fan my complaint would be that it should just have been a routine tripping call. There wasn't any illegal substitution on the penalty shot but there also wasn't a clear breakaway to begin with.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Eric Sachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Wait, you think Dubinsky is that much better than Anderson in a breakaway, that this would even be necessary? Anderson can snipe.

That and if you watch the play, Anderson obviously had trouble getting of the ice, and walking the tunnel is exactly what one would do if one had a minor leg injury.

There is nothing here, sorry folks.
Did you watch the video? He literally just stood there behind the bench lol

I don't doubt he was shaken up. The rule doesn't say he has to be 100% by the way.. just that he has to be able to take the penalty shot in a "reasonable" time if he's injured.

Really though, that's not even a big deal. Torts sending out Gagner was 10x more annoying and unnecessary.

Eric Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 08:56 PM
Chootoi

I'm not sure how you could possibly enforce this. You can't just force a potentially injured player to play- especially with concussion liability and all that junk. Seems like an easy fix though. If the original shooter can't take the shot, you accept a 2 min PP.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 08:59 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
I'm not sure how you could possibly enforce this. You can't just force a potentially injured player to play- especially with concussion liability and all that junk. Seems like an easy fix though. If the original shooter can't take the shot, you accept a 2 min PP.
Naw, a PP is markedly worse. Just default it to the players centerman, and if he's the one hurt, designate a wing.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 09:08 PM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
Anderson is obviously banged up from the play, seems to only have gone back in the hallway during the PS as a way for Torts to tell the Jersey coach screaming about it to get stuffed. "Our guy is hurt and going to shake it off on the bench. You're going to scream about it? Fine, he'll stand in the hallway for 30 seconds, happy now?" Seems like a Torts move to make, I kinda liked it.

Trying to sneak Gagner out is a whole different matter though. Got caught pulling a fast one there.
The devils should have let Gagner take the shot.

* if he doesn't score. say nothing.

* if he scores point out he wasn't on the ice and is ineligible and let the refs deal with the consequences.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 09:12 PM
KaptainKrug
My name is Pete

vCash: 50
Smart coaching if there isn't anything in the rulebook against it. Belichick approved, haha.

KaptainKrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 09:23 PM
48g90a138pts

There's no way to prove Anderson was or wasn't 100%. It's the player that decides whether he is or not. Obviously the part that looks bad is how Anderson handled the situation. He should have left immediately down the tunnel. Shouldn't have lingered on the bench then only taken one step down the tunnel. Then the smiles and laughing don't help any either.

A little professionalism would have went a long way in making this not look so sketchy. Looks kinda bad, unprofessional, and not sportsman like at all.

In no way am I saying Anderson wasn't shaken up, the whole sequence just didn't look right.

If this happens more and more often down the road, maybe a rule stating if a player is unable to take the penalty shot then he must leave the bench for a certain amount of game time before he can return to the game.

48g90a138pts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 09:40 PM
Armourboy

Don't really have the issue with him subbing out a guy, I mean we can guess what the guy was feeling or not, but in the end it's really hard to argue.

What should get his ass in hot water is trying to send Gagner out there knowing he coulnd't be out there and wasting a ton of time. Frankly he should get fined for the league, and not so much for putting the wrong player in, but doing so and directly breaking the flow of the game.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 09:41 PM
hirawl
Used Register

The rule should be it's either the player that drew the PS call or a 2 min PP. And so that you could always have the choice. Easy fix to this and to a flawed rule to start with.

I don't think this a big deal though. Just showing a little gamesmanship and a little less sportsmanship.

hirawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 09:41 PM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

It's not illegal if the ref allows it.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:17 PM
SI90

Anderson was clearly well enough to shoot. The players on the bench were even laughing and joking. Either way, CBJ we're gonna win.

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:23 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
The devils should have let Gagner take the shot.

* if he doesn't score. say nothing.

* if he scores point out he wasn't on the ice and is ineligible and let the refs deal with the consequences.
The refs would have just said they had to speak out before the play happened, which they should it.

They aren`t going to waive back a penalty shot if the opposing team conventionally just remembered about the rule after the goal.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:43 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Surely I can't be the only one wondering why a penalty shot was awarded on that play? It wasn't a clean/clear breakaway by any means... Seen countless similar plays over the years where no penalty shot was awarded...

03-19-2017, 11:45 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
If I was a Devils fan my complaint would be that it should just have been a routine tripping call. There wasn't any illegal substitution on the penalty shot but there also wasn't a clear breakaway to begin with.
Just saw your post now... Agreed...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:46 PM
Iceman

Given the fact that anyone can take the shot in many other leagues, it's no big deal.

Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 12:57 AM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Fine.

But the next time a team gets awarded a penalty shot against Columbus I certainly am telling my team to have the player pull up lame for a minute and miraculously recover after the shot.
Sounds good, I hope its Crosby then. Still holding to your guns? Didn't think so.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:17 AM
JuniorNelson

Say what you like about Torts, he doesn't just stand there with a stunned look on his face.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:26 AM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Just saw your post now... Agreed...
That was definitely my first thought when I saw the play even before all the confusion with the shooter. That was far from a clear breakaway and refs called regular penalties on much more direct paths all the time.

Pick87your71Poison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:29 AM
Nucker101
#TankNation

Channeling his inner Bill Belichick. I like it.

Nucker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:42 AM
WerenskiRules

1) It was a bad call to award a penalty shot...Prout clearly came in from the side....not behind him

2) Anderson could have taken the shot, but he was a little banged up, very little

3) Unless it was one of your best penalty shooters....every coach in the league lobby's for a replacement there....30 out of 30

4) Without Torts baggage this isn't even a thread

Flame away

WerenskiRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:12 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
You just know that Torts would complain about something like this if done against him.
Torts? Nah. Stand up fella. Never complains. Takes it on the chin and keeps going. Never an excuse.

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:14 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
You can easily enforce it. He's hurt? Okay, he has to stay out for X amount of time. Seems straight forward to me.

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:17 AM
nmbr_24

I don't even think that should have been a penalty shot.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:08 AM
dlam

This can be non rule can be abused regularly when a player fakes an injury to allow another player to take his penalty shot
The player faking injury should sit out at least 5- 10 mins before coming back to the game to prevent other coaches to start doing this regularly

dlam is online now   Reply With Quote