HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Tortorella Cheats on the Penalty Shot

Old
03-20-2017, 04:10 AM
Chimp

vCash: 500
Their record isn't lying. A Torts trench team in the playoffs is always tough to play against. Unlucky for them they will have to play the hockey of their lives to exit out of the Metro.

I didn't think they would keep their winning hockey up as long as they have. Guys like Wennberg blooming and Torts shutting down other teams passing and speed has helped alot. I know NYR has struggled a ton against them when NYR rely exactly on passing and speed.

Congratulations to Columbus and their fans for the best season of the franchise.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:32 AM
NastyNick

I laughed at the thread title at first.. but then i watched the video and i'm convinced. Torts definitely cheated there.

But.. who cares? Hes never pretended to be a saint.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:41 AM
LiasAndersson
17-18 Calder Winner

Funny way to spell Jack Adams, OP

LiasAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:46 AM
Gsus
Not Nico Hischier

My idea is to get the so called injured player out of play for 15 minutes. That way coaches don't want to cheat in here. Either you take the shot or you go in to the tunnel hiding for quarter of an hour.

Gsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:48 AM
kalessin

Just don't allow substitutions on penalty shots if you want to avoid any grey areas. Guy who is taking the shot can't go? You lose the attempt. I have no problem with that given how rare it would be.

kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:49 AM
CanadianPensFan1

Bobby Clarke said "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying."

Not saying I agree with it but that's sports. Teams/players will always do whatever it takes to get the competitive advantage. Always.

CanadianPensFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:00 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
Don't really have the issue with him subbing out a guy, I mean we can guess what the guy was feeling or not, but in the end it's really hard to argue.

What should get his ass in hot water is trying to send Gagner out there knowing he coulnd't be out there and wasting a ton of time. Frankly he should get fined for the league, and not so much for putting the wrong player in, but doing so and directly breaking the flow of the game.
At that point in the game, Columbus had the momentum. If anything, delaying the game at that point would be helping New Jersey regroup.

It could be a simple matter of assuming that anyone on the bench could take the penalty shot, and finding out differently.

Any rule savants on here know what the rules are in different leagues on this? Or IIHF standards?

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:05 AM
Lady Macbeth
La Reine des Neiges

vCash: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
At that point in the game, Columbus had the momentum. If anything, delaying the game at that point would be helping New Jersey regroup.

It could be a simple matter of assuming that anyone on the bench could take the penalty shot, and finding out differently.

Any rule savants on here know what the rules are in different leagues on this? Or IIHF standards?
In USA Hockey, which I refereed for 5 years, if a player designated to take a penalty shot is "unable to do so within a reasonable amount of time," then the replacement shooter must be from the players on the ice at the time of the infraction. To be completely honest in the case where that situation comes up, that's a small and rare enough detail to where I might not remember as a referee, and a coach could pull a fast one on me. Or they might not know themselves. If I wanted to give Tortorella the benefit of the doubt, maybe he honestly didn't know either which is why he tried to nominate Sam Gagner, then a case of the referees not instantly remembering that it had to be a player from the ice (or remembering that Gagner wasn't on the ice immediately), assuming the NHL rule is the same.

Of course it's Torts, so I'm not really inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was trying to pull a fast one instead, but hey, you never know

Lady Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:45 AM
CrashBartley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
In addition to the fact that Torts already had let Sedlak take one when the game was tied...

Imagine you're Anderson. You just worked really hard on a PK shift. You were awarded a penalty shot. You have 16 goals on the year, this one would put you within striking distance of getting 20 and could help you command more money in your next contract.

Then Torts tells you to go stand in the tunnel and lets someone else take it. How would you react? Why would Torts risk upsetting you?
That's a funny line! Just ask Luongo about Tortorella caring about players feelings.

CrashBartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:16 AM
ybnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine27 View Post
He wasnt 100% so why should he take it?
Large majority of players, at this point in the season, are not playing at 100% capability.
Nice argument.
Next?

ybnvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:23 AM
swimmer77
No 2nd guess, grind!

Refs will realize they were snookered so the fix will be no more penalty shots or PP's on a play like that.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:32 PM
BreakfastatMarios

Change the rule to read Penalty Shot if awarded goes to the person who was penalized or affected, if that person cannot take the shot for any reason a 2 minute power play will be assessed instead.

BreakfastatMarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:34 PM
Jerzey Devil

I like the idea of a player having to sit for a certain amount of time if they have to "go to the dressing room" for an "injury".

Jerzey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:42 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Gamesmanship, not cheating.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Hogan86

The worst part about all of this was that was a weak penalty shot call. Andersen and Prout were neck and neck. And while Prout did take out his legs it should have been a 2 minute minor for tripping. I've seen half a dozen trips this year where a guy is on a more clear cut break and none of them we're penalty shots. It's whatever the ref is feeling that day I guess. No consistency with NHL officiating anymore.

Hogan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:46 PM
Anthony5967

Honestly this is bull****. The fact that the refs allowed this is pathetic. Thank god it wasn't against my team or I would be livid.

Anthony5967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:47 PM
Not Sure

vCash: 400
if the player can't take the penalty shot let the other team choose from the players on the ice at the time, that will put a quick end to players feigning injury. I mean it's not really a rampant problem, this is the first time I've seen this done. Regardless, Torts just killed his credibility with the refs in a pretty meaningless game, if you want to do stuff like that make it count, do it in the playoffs.

Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:50 PM
Hackett
BAKAMAN

Torts would have blew his top if the tables were turned. I saw this play as well and you could see the "injured" player chuckling after the goal was scored.

It would be neat to monitor how CBJ is officiated the rest of the way through. Refs don't like being shown up, and my theory is that they do build up reputations against players/coaches.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:51 PM
Anthony5967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
if the player can't take the penalty shot let the other team choose from the players on the ice at the time, that will put a quick end to players feigning injury. I mean it's not really a rampant problem, this is the first time I've seen this done. Regardless, Torts just killed his credibility with the refs in a pretty meaningless game, if you want to do stuff like that make it count, do it in the playoffs.
He had to pull that against the Devils? That's sad. Hold your Cup picks people.

Anthony5967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:54 PM
detroit86
Winging it

And the Devils still suck. And their goalie could not stop the shot.

detroit86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:59 PM
ALP21

I think it's pretty clear that this wasn't exactly above board. Why else would Anderson be laughing and smirking about it. I think it's a pretty safe bet that Tortorella would be whining and complaining at his postgame presser if this went in favor of an opposing team (Say the Penguins or Rangers), particularly in the playoffs. Tortorella is the last NHL coach who should get the benefit of the doubt in this situation.

ALP21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastatMarios View Post
Change the rule to read Penalty Shot if awarded goes to the person who was penalized or affected, if that person cannot take the shot for any reason a 2 minute power play will be assessed instead.
In principle this sounds reasonable to me, but I worry it'd incentivize "well, if you're getting a penalty shot, I'd better make sure you stay out" type behavior - or at the very least it'll convince thousands of fans that that's exactly what happened That One Time.

On the actual topic, by the way - I've been able to smile and make jokes while unable to move due to back pain, guys. It's not a conspiracy. Lighten the hell up.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:26 PM
BobVEZINAsky 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlam View Post
This can be non rule can be abused regularly when a player fakes an injury to allow another player to take his penalty shot
The player faking injury should sit out at least 5- 10 mins before coming back to the game to prevent other coaches to start doing this regularly
He did sit out 5 minutes. Looked like a hard hit into the goal post to me. Would have been none issue if Torts hadn't sent Gagner initially, but refs corrected him. Otherwise, the rules allow for a substitute and don't say the injured player must leave bench area, must sit rest of game or can't smile when his line mate scores. If there was an option, Cbj is would prefer a non-shakened up Anderson over Dubinsky on a penalty shot.

BobVEZINAsky 110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:48 PM
THall4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine27 View Post
He wasnt 100% so why should he take it? It wasnt cheating, please just stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraSphere View Post
He seemed to be smiling and chilling on the bench, I don't get it. If he isn't a 100%, why is he still in the game. Why let his "injury" progress any worse.

This is an opinion thread where people share their opinions. You're entitled to your own as well, you can stop harassing others, thanks.

Ya, Anderson was injured....Only thing that should be hurt is Anderson's feelings that his HC doesn't think hed be useful in a 50/50 penalty shot lol

THall4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:51 PM
Hit the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
A Torts trench team in the playoffs is always tough to play against.
Weird that I think Torts would've coached the Canucks past the Flames a couple seasons ago in the playoffs; problem is, with Torts coaching style, that team would've have made the playoffs had he been the coach during the regular season (he rides the vets like a rented mule - right thing to do in the post-season [unlike what the current Canucks did], not so good in the regular season if the team has poor-to-nonexistant depth).

Hit the post is offline   Reply With Quote