HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Crosby Hat Trick and 2nd 40 goal or more season and still the best player in the NHL

Old
03-19-2017, 08:11 PM
Ducks in a row
Go Ducks Quack Quack

vCash: 500
Crosby Hat Trick and 2nd 40 goal or more season and still the best player in the NHL

Ducks in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 08:33 PM
Wood Stick

Honestly, yup. The coaching change really did wonders for him. As a Red Wings fan it took me a really long time to truly admire and appreciate his greatness. His second half of the regular season+playoffs (still wish Kessel got the CS)+World Cup+this season has been a great, great run.

Wood Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 08:36 PM
Empoleon8771
Kunitz Was There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Stick View Post
Honestly, yup. The coaching change really did wonders for him. As a Red Wings fan it took me a really long time to truly admire and appreciate his greatness. His second half of the regular season+playoffs (still wish Kessel got the CS)+World Cup+this season has been a great, great run.
This is putting it lightly, there's a reason that Mike Johnston will never be a NHL coach again. He managed to neuter a team with Crosby, Kessel, Letang and Malkin offensively.

Empoleon8771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 09:52 PM
Semantics
200 IQ passes

Classic Reimer on the first two goals.

Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 09:52 PM
Frosty415
Stay Frosty

vCash: 738
I wouldn't say clearcut best.

He's been outplayed by McDavid most of the year.

Frosty415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 10:05 PM
Burned

Crosby > McOnemove

Connor will get there but he's not there yet.

Burned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 10:29 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty415 View Post

McDavid outplayed Crosby the first six games of the year, I will give him that. From then on it is hard to argue against Crosby who outpointed him 80 to 72, and out goaled him 40 to 22.

If the first six games is most of the year you win.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 10:37 PM
Crabapple

vCash: 398
Still #1

Crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 10:39 PM
Frank the Tank
Blue, you're my boy!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned View Post
Crosby > McOnemove

Connor will get there but he's not there yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
McDavid outplayed Crosby the first six games of the year, I will give him that. From then on it is hard to argue against Crosby who outpointed him 80 to 72, and out goaled him 40 to 22.

They are both great players who have lived up to the enormous expectations placed upon them since they were teenagers. Why drag one down in an attempt to prop the other up?

As an Oilers fan, I wouldn't be upset if Crosby grabs another Rocket, Art Ross, Hart, Lindsay, etc... to cement his legacy among the all-time greats. The fact that McDavid in his sophomore season is alongside a still dominant Crosby represents a significant achievement.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 10:44 PM
Frosty415
Stay Frosty

Quote:

Disagreed.

McDavid has been better.

Old
03-19-2017, 10:48 PM
Empoleon8771
Kunitz Was There

Quote:
Disagreed.

McDavid has been better.
I'm curious to how you came to that conclusion, seeing how Crosby has as many points and nearly double as many goals in less games as compared to McDavid.

Old
03-19-2017, 10:50 PM
Johnnybegood13

Quote:

My arse he did.

Crosby missed the first 6 games of the season and still has 15 more goals and the same amount of points. plus he turned an undrafted small winger into a near PPG player.

Oiler fans need to get it threw their thick skulls that Crosby is the better player... period.

Johnnybegood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 10:51 PM
Frank the Tank
Blue, you're my boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empoleon8771 View Post
I'm curious to how you came to that conclusion, seeing how Crosby has as many points and nearly double as many goals in less games as compared to McDavid.
If I had to make the argument, I would compare McDavid playing on a team that was 29th last season, whereas Crosby plays on the defending Stanley Cup champions. I realize who's "better" remains more complicated than that, and yet McDavid has a better case for the Hart Trophy if a voter looks at it from a MVP perspective.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 10:55 PM
kevy999

Quote:

Not only that but Crosby is playing on a team that won the Stanley cup last year lol and most players on that team know what it takes to win . Oilers and Mcdavid are just starting their jouney. I would say this year Mcdavid has clearly been the best player. He creates so many chances and over half are not finsihed off by his teammates. I think Crosby might win the scoring race because he is on a team that scores a lot and are stanley cup champions but this year Mcdavid has been the best player in the NHL in my opinion.

kevy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 10:58 PM
Frosty415
Stay Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
If I had to make the argument, I would compare McDavid playing on a team that was 29th last season, whereas Crosby plays on the defending Stanley Cup champions. I realize who's "better" remains more complicated than that, and yet McDavid has a better case for the Hart Trophy if a voter looks at it from a MVP perspective.
Pretty much this, plus Malkin.

yeah, McDavid has had a better year.

Old
03-19-2017, 10:59 PM
kevy999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnybegood13 View Post
My arse he did.

Crosby missed the first 6 games of the season and still has 15 more goals and the same amount of points. plus he turned an undrafted small winger into a near PPG player.

Oiler fans need to get it threw their thick skulls that Crosby is the better player... period.
Sorry but a reasonable argument can be made for Mcdavid being the better player and i am not even talking about their two head to head matchups where Mcdavid was much better. I don't care about point or goals because Mcdavid was looking to pass most of the year. I am looking to how Connor creates so many more chances than any player in the nhl by far. Get used to it, Mcdavid if he isn't in your book the best today, then he will be next year.

Old
03-19-2017, 11:09 PM
crawz87

40 goals. 40 assists = balance

crawz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:12 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:

1.23PPG and 80pts in 65 games vs 72 or whatever McDavid has to hit 80...is apparently "out played" for most of the year.

Good times at HfBoards.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:15 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
It's because the Pens won the cup last year apparently, whatever Sid does is a product of his team and the fact that he doesn't play with 1st round picks I guess?

Man, that bum Crosby.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:20 PM
kevy999

Quote:

give me a break lol Crosby plays on the Stanley cup Champions who are a higher scoriong team lol Mcdavid has created so many more chances than Crosby and his teammates don't finish it off. You can't just go by a measily 8 point difference over so many games lol and how the hell cares about goals, Mcdavid passed most of the year and gave up so many chances to score. Bottom line is when i see Mcdavid and Crosby play, Mcdavid looks more dangerous every time.

Last edited by kevy999: 03-19-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old
03-19-2017, 11:22 PM
Empoleon8771
Kunitz Was There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
That's a pretty unfair argument to make, you're basically punishing Crosby for being on a better team. Crosby also having Malkin on his team doesn't make him a worse player.

Old
03-19-2017, 11:25 PM
Johnnybegood13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevy999 View Post
Sorry but a reasonable argument can be made for Mcdavid being the better player and i am not even talking about their two head to head matchups where Mcdavid was much better. I don't care about point or goals because Mcdavid was looking to pass most of the year. I am looking to how Connor creates so many more chances than any player in the nhl by far. Get used to it, Mcdavid if he isn't in your book the best today, then he will be next year.
Please!

I watch McDavid all the time, if a team lets him wind up he'll hurt you with speed but he's done otherwise. Crosby on the other hand can kill you with a total 200 foot game and can score a 100 different ways.

2nd assists, fathom assists and playing minutes like he's a defenseman doesn't make McOnemove close to the talent of Crosby.

Johnnybegood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:26 PM
The Toews Era*

- old coach was holding him back
- new coach also holding him back by forcing him to play with his handpicked favorite winger of all time kunitz
- missed 6 games
- more goals than mcdavid (but ovechkin wasnt better all those years he scored more goals)
- free square in the middle

Crosbingo!

The Toews Era* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:32 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevy999 View Post
give me a break lol Crosby plays on the Stanley cup Champions who are a higher scoriong team lol Mcdavid has created so many more chances than Crosby and his teammates don't finish it off. You can't just go by a measily 8 point difference over so many games lol and how the hell cares about goals, Mcdavid passed most of the year and gave up so many chances to score. Bottom line is when i see Mcdavid and Crosby play, Mcdavid looks more dangerous every time.
Being tied with Mcdavid and in six less games and with many more goals = Sid is having the better year, and is still the better player.

Mcdavid is amazing and he might take over the crown as soon as next year, but I don't see how anyone can think he's got it now.

Mcdavid will take over the title. It's only a matter of time.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2017, 11:35 PM
Revelation

Quote:
Crosby gets a lot more help not just from matchups with Malkin and Kessel but from the Pens D being better at moving the puck, switch them and McDavid is flirting with 90 points

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote