HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Crosby Hat Trick and 2nd 40 goal or more season and still the best player in the NHL

Old
03-20-2017, 01:41 AM
Se829ne
Expendable enforcer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
You need to not let HFboards skew your view about players, that sort of crap was perpetuated more here than anywhere else. Crosby might have chirped a ton his first year because of the crap he had to put up with, but after that first year, he was relatively quiet and Captains always talk to refs a lot, it's part of that role.

Personality stuff..the guy has never not been a great ambassador to the sport with fans and people alike.
Fair enough. That was my perception I got. I'm only happy it has changed.

Se829ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:42 AM
KCC

Crosby is still the better player than #97, but does have more help in terms of all the depth the Pens have. They haven't had to rely on just Crosby as others have been able to get the job done as well. That's obviously not his fault though and you can't pin that against him.

McDavid on the other hand has clearly carried the team all year scoring wise despite the team having very little secondary scoring. I'd like to think that matters a little when you look at the Hart. /shrug. some people might not have known just how lousy the rest of the team has been scoring wise.

The way McDavid is producing, he's an automatic PPG. That won't be enough though the way this race is shaping up. It'll be down to the wire!

KCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:46 AM
Honour Over Glory

117pts from the likes of Lucic, RNH and Eberle combined is pretty rough for sure, Malkin + Kessel already best that combined. But also to be fair, that's on the GM not the player. McDavid goes out and produces just like Crosby does facing the top shutdown units, both impressive.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:57 AM
Se829ne
Expendable enforcer

I hope neither of them would have to struggle with injuries anymore during their careers (in fact that no player would have to).

It's very lame for the hockey as a whole and as the sport, when many greatest players have to spend big parts of their careers on an injury lists. Being far above average is one of the biggest reasons for such kind player to become prone to injuries.

Essentially it's the league's responsibility. (Note. I am not advocating over-satinized ringette-like sissy-hockey. Maybe it would be only good thing to get domis, semenkos and sorleys back to the ice for securing the talent...)

Se829ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:59 AM
Seanaconda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empoleon8771 View Post
I actually don't think McDavid is worse defensively than Crosby, I think the big thing that separates those two is Crosby's goal scoring ability. You don't usually see a guy be as solid defensively as McDavid is at his age, I think he'll easily end up better than Crosby defensively in the long run.

People overall use it as a negative towards Crosby though, that's why I say it's a punishment towards Crosby. People are saying Crosby isn't as good as offensively as the stats say because they have Malkin on another line, which isn't fair for Crosby.
He does have malkin kessel letang /shultz and whoever they want in front of the net for all his powerplay time tho.

Seanaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:16 AM
pensfan7477
Phil The Thrill Hype

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanaconda View Post
He does have malkin kessel letang /shultz and whoever they want in front of the net for all his powerplay time tho.
He also is producing more ES points than any other skater I believe.

pensfan7477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:46 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensfan7477 View Post
He also is producing more ES points than any other skater I believe.
Kane has 59, Crosby has 58. Marchand sits with 53, Malkin 49, Sheary 44 and Guentzel is with 24 (all but 1 are ES). Oh and McDavid has 58 as well.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:28 AM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnybegood13 View Post
plus he turned an undrafted small winger into a near PPG player.
Crosby-threads: He turned Sheary into a PPG player
Sheary-threads: He's an awesome young player and not a product of Crosby.

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:37 AM
Daeni10
Kunitz was there

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetThePuckOuttaHere View Post
Sid's still the best, but McDavid deserves the Hart. I'm fed up with Art Ross = Hart. When Kane won it last season, I **** bricks. "Most valuable to his team." Give me a break.
The problem I see with those MVP awards is that it is basically impossible for a player on a good team to win which I find pretty stupid. With all the injuries the Pens had Crosby producing like that was really really important and there is no chance that they would be top 3 in the League without him. On the other hand they would most likely still be in the playoffs, and if its only as a wildcard. Edmonton might not make the playoffs if McDavid is out, even if Pittsburgh and Edmonton would lose the same amout of points due to both being out, the loss for Edmonton would still be considered bigger. If Edmonton has Draisaitl and RNH on the 2nd/3rd line in the future and become a powerhouse, McDavid will have the exact same problem. I think thats a really big flaw in those kind of MVP awards, but I also get that those MVP awards are a big part of the american sport culture. I just think that it is not fair to punish players like Kane or Crosby just because they play on a good team because individual awards should be about the player and not the team he plays on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbaer View Post

The truth is somewhere in between. Sheary definetly doesnt become close to a PPG player without Crosby, at least not in his first full season, but it's not like you become close to a PPG just from playing with Crosby. He also is a great player on his own who can keep up on a line with Sid

Daeni10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:04 AM
Sam Spade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DearDiary View Post
Who are these Pens D better at moving the puck other than Schultz? Letang, Maatta and Daley are gone yet Crosby is still trucking along.
That is not actually true. He got the line mates make that make him go, but he wasn't playing very well in 2017 up until a week ago (McDavid's play had slipped as well).

The best players the second half of the season have been Kane, Marchand, Backstrom and Burns.

And while I have no idea who the best player in the NHL is, there are a lot of players that are very close, I am pretty sure McDavid is the very definition of "MVP" this season.

Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:05 AM
pensandcaps
Wolf Cola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty415 View Post
Disagreed.

McDavid has been better.
you know except the stats say otherwise, he hasn't even been better than Malkin, let alone Crosby. hell kane is having a similar year to McD.

pensandcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:08 AM
pensandcaps
Wolf Cola

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevy999 View Post
give me a break lol Crosby plays on the Stanley cup Champions who are a higher scoriong team lol Mcdavid has created so many more chances than Crosby and his teammates don't finish it off. You can't just go by a measily 8 point difference over so many games lol and how the hell cares about goals, Mcdavid passed most of the year and gave up so many chances to score. Bottom line is when i see Mcdavid and Crosby play, Mcdavid looks more dangerous every time.
lol McDavid has had better linemates all year. i'd love to see him play with Kunitz.

wanna talk about linemates not finishing chances.....KUNITZ.

pensandcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:15 AM
HandshakeLine
Completely bias

Yeah, people don't realize how BAD Kunitz is. I'd only wish Kunitz on a rival's roster, not anyone I didn't actively wish ill upon. He's done and hopefully nobody gives him a contract over the summer anywhere. Well, anywhere that isn't Columbus or Washington, I guess.

And since I can't even muster up the energy to remember where Edmonton is located in Canada, McDavid's safe.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:17 AM
USAUSA1

I think Crosby and Kane is 1a and 1b. It's ridiculous people think Mcdavid is better than kane. Kane is what 5'7 too.

USAUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:18 AM
Sypher04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empoleon8771 View Post
That's valid for the Hart since it's awarded to the most important player to his team, but "the most important to his team" is not "the best". That's not me ****ing on McDavid either, he's a phenomenal talent. I just think it's unfair to say that McDavid is better because Crosby is on a better team.
There seems to be a segment of the hockey media that has begun discussing the Hart Trophy more from the perspective of the Best Player in the regular season, less so than "most valuable to his team". Bob McKenzie would be a notably member of this group.

Last edited by Sypher04: 03-20-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:29 AM
HandshakeLine
Completely bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
There seems to be a segment of the hockey media that has begun discussing the Hart Trophy more from the perspective of the Best Player in the regular season, less so than "most valuable to his team". Bob McKenzie would be a notably member of this group.
Which is crazy to me. IMO, McDavid should be frontrunner for the Hart right now.

Old
03-20-2017, 08:33 AM
Sypher04

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Which is crazy to me. IMO, McDavid should be frontrunner for the Hart right now.
Personally. IF we're going by the explicit description of the award, I'd give it to Erik Karlsson personally. And I'm a Leafs fan.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:35 AM
HandshakeLine
Completely bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
Personally. IF we're going by the explicit description of the award, I'd give it to Erik Karlsson personally. And I'm a Leafs fan.
Also a legit case for him, IMO. I think the real problem is hockey media has had this slow decline into mere stats watching-- the Norris is also subjected to this same problem-- where the media personalities don't have time or the inclination or the knowledge of the game to make accurate evaluations. So, they go off of shortcuts like points or hype.

Old
03-20-2017, 08:52 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
26 Years of Fail

Does someone know Crosby's stats w/o Malkin in the lineup? Feels like Sid always lights it up whenever Malkin's hurt.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:55 AM
tony d
Ocean Spray

I agree, Crosby's the best player in the game. Going to be a great race down the stretch for the Art Ross.

03-20-2017, 08:55 AM
HandshakeLine
Completely bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Does someone know Crosby's stats w/o Malkin in the lineup? Feels like Sid always lights it up whenever Malkin's hurt.
They both seem to kick it into another gear when one's out. I haven't done the numbers, though.

Old
03-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Burned

It was stated earlier that McDavid is more exciting to watch, well of course he is he's trying to do everything himself! That kid is practically dragging that entire team around by himself, he'd probably even play in goal too (wait he scored an own goal the last time, never mind).

McDavid will arguably be the best player soon enough but for now Sid is king.

Burned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
26 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
They both seem to kick it into another gear when one's out. I haven't done the numbers, though.

Good point, goes both ways.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Pancakes

Personally I don't like the thought of the Hart going to the best player on the worst bubble team. If Crosby wins the Rocket/Art Ross it's hard to sit there and say Mcdavid was the more valuable player. Guys shouldn't be punished for being on a good team.

I also think it's questionable whether the guy on the 8th seed who had a good season is more valuable to their team. I guess making the playoffs is our only consideration when it comes to the mvp? Shouldn't Crosby get credit for propelling a team with a **** ton of injuries to potentially a division title at best and a top 5 finish in the league at worst?

Imo whoever wins the Art Ross should get the Hart. Simple as that. All of Marchand, Kane, Sid, Mcdavid have compelling cases to be made.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 09:15 AM
The Toews Era*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbaer View Post

Hahahhahah pretty much

The Toews Era* is offline   Reply With Quote