HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Update: Suspended 2 Games | Tkachuk elbows Doughty in head [MOD WARNING: SEE OP]

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Frank the Tank
Blue, you're my boy!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
If you played, you'd know it to be true. oh...

you also ignored my intent blurb (wonder why?? lol )

Are we seeing 4 - 6 of these up-swinging elbow-to-the-jaw in every NHL game this season?
No? There's your intent.
Tkachuk's intent is made clear when he takes his lower hand off his stick as it clearly demonstrates pre-meditation in him preparing to throw his shoulder/elbow back into Doughty.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:43 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Tkachuk's intent is made clear when he takes his lower hand off his stick as it clearly demonstrates pre-meditation in him preparing to throw his shoulder/elbow back into Doughty.
Intent to elbow/hit is not the same as intent to injure though, which is what I believe was being posed originally.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:46 PM
UglyStupidAds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method Man View Post
Intent to elbow and intent to injure aren't the same thing but something happening regularly or not is not proof of anything.

Also it is cute that you think because I disagree with you and think know your post was BS that make the leap that I've never played.
Intent to elbow and intent to injure SHOULD be the same thing. Swinging an elbow at someone is going to lead to an injury more often than not.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:48 PM
Frank the Tank
Blue, you're my boy!

Quote:
Intent to elbow/hit is not the same as intent to injure though, which is what I believe was being posed originally.
The intent of Tkachuk to throw his elbow backwards recklessly indicates an intent to hit his opponent using an illegal move. He probably didn't mean to hit Doughty in the head; however, when a player uses an illegal move and it results in a head-shot, the offending player still remains responsible for the result of using an intentionally reckless and illegal play.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Intent to elbow and intent to injure SHOULD be the same thing. Swinging an elbow at someone is going to lead to an injury more often than not.
He didn't swing his elbow, he lifted it, usually that's a 2 minute penalty and generally not more than a fine. You can intend to have someone run into your elbow without intending to injure them.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:52 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Quote:
Yes it is. Perhaps not a hit but an elbow to the head/face sure is. Why else would you toss your elbow into someone's face? Certainly not for a massage. Face's are not made of granite. Elbow pads are not pillowy soft. What other reason can you think of if not to cause harm.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:52 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
The intent of Tkachuk to throw his elbow backwards recklessly indicates an intent to hit his opponent using an illegal move. He probably didn't mean to hit Doughty in the head; however, when a player uses an illegal move and it results in a head-shot, the offending player still remains responsible for the result of using an intentionally reckless and illegal play.
I've never said he wasn't responsible, in fact throughout this thread I've said he is responsible. I am just just tired of the hyperbole that Tkachuk was basically trying to behead Doughty.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:54 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by settinguptheplay View Post
Yes it is. Perhaps not a hit but an elbow to the head/face sure is. Why else would you toss your elbow into someone's face? Certainly not for a massage. Face's are not made of granite. Elbow pads are not pillowy soft. What other reason can you think of if not to cause harm.
Who said he was aiming for the head? He wasn't even looking at Doughty when contact was made, that claim is a bit if a leap. Elbows to the chest are extremely common and it is likely that was the intent here.

Old
03-20-2017, 06:54 PM
Deen

vCash: 899
So are we waiting on a decision yet to come today? Or not until tomorrow?

Old
03-20-2017, 06:55 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Quote:
I've never said he wasn't responsible, in fact throughout this thread I've said he is responsible. I am just just tired of the hyperbole that Tkachuk was basically trying to behead Doughty.
Agree. It certainly wasn't a viscous hit. Just not a smart one. A game or 2 would be plenty.

Old
03-20-2017, 07:00 PM
Ubi Sunt
Hater/Loser

John Shannon just tweeted that the phone hearing is still going.

Old
03-20-2017, 07:02 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Quote:
Who said he was aiming for the head? He wasn't even looking at Doughty when contact was made, that claim is a bit if a leap. Elbows to the chest are extremely common and it is likely that was the intent here.
He knew he was there though. It is not like a random accident. He knew Doughty was there and he even raised his elbow and pressed back to prepare for a hit. He knew damn well where he was. Why did he raise his elbow so high? Why did he begin to push back before Doughty arrived? Cause he knew what he was doing. Hence it being a cheap hit worthy of a short suspension. Tkachuk is a rat. But that does not mean he is not a good hockey player.

Old
03-20-2017, 07:04 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 23163
Awards:
Just added a new angle to the OP that I hadn't seen yet. Although I think it may have been posted in here somewhere already judging by some of the conversation on this page.

And they lay you down so fast
Till you look straight up and say
Oh lord, am I really here at last?
Old
03-20-2017, 07:05 PM
Highbrow
Know-Nothing

I thought the play was going to worse to be honest. It's dirty and Tkachuk should have been forced to drop the gloves with a Kings player as a result but I don't know if it's deserving of a suspension. I wonder if it looks worse from another angle?

[EDIT] What timing... there's the other angle and, yep, it's worse from that one!

Old
03-20-2017, 07:05 PM
McFlyingV
#Free :]

vCash: 1567
Quote:
I think you three need to untwist your panties, I never commented on the play nor the player, just commented on the quote. I said when it happened he deserved a suspension, so perhaps you are better off not making assumptions about someone.
No need for assumptions when you completely downplayed Doughty calling him a dirty player. Why try to justify why Doughty said it if not to try and defend Tkachuk? If you have another explanation for your response then I'd love to hear it.

In other words, if you seem to think you can speculate on Doughty's motives then I think posters can speculate on yours as well.

Old
03-20-2017, 07:16 PM
SupremeTeam16
5-14-6-1

I would be surprised if he wasn't suspended, between his history in his young career and the play itself there is a pretty strong case for a suspension. My guess is 2 games. Doughty's statement on the whole thing probably doesn't help either, Doughty is a superstar and has juice in this league, Tkachuk is a nobody.

Old
03-20-2017, 07:17 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFlyingV View Post
No need for assumptions when you completely downplayed Doughty calling him a dirty player. Why try to justify why Doughty said it if not to try and defend Tkachuk? If you have another explanation for your response then I'd love to hear it.

In other words, if you seem to think you can speculate on Doughty's motives then I think posters can speculate on yours as well.
What fan doesn't defend the players on their team? Especially with the endless and ridiculous hyperbole being thrown around.

Old
03-20-2017, 07:21 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobga View Post
How does that timing line up with when the Flames complained to the league about how many penalties they were getting?
A couple things:

1. The Flames met with the league in November. News only got out about it in the new year.

2. If it worked... don't you think they had a legitimate complaint?

Old
03-20-2017, 07:39 PM
gambitlebo

Quote:
What fan doesn't defend the players on their team? Especially with the endless and ridiculous hyperbole being thrown around.
A lot of fans don't wear 'rose-colored' glasses just because a player wears the uniform of their favorite team.

In fact, those fans that do make people dislike their team even more.

Most true fans will admit when a player on their team crosses the line. It doesn't mean you hate the guy or you want him off your team but rather it just shows that you can look at a play and say, "yeah, that was stupid and I wish he didn't do it".

For example, I liked Marty McSorley when I was a kid. While he wasn't playing for my favorite team when it happened, I had no issues saying what he did was inexcusable and he should be thrown out of the league. I don't know too many people that thought differently. Maybe you would have because "he's on your team"?

Granted, that was an extreme example but it shows that not everyone is going to defend "their player" just because of the emblem on their chest.

It was a bad play on Tkachuk's part. The same way you are saying people can't know or say he was trying to hurt another player, well, you can't say he wasn't for the same reason.

Old
03-20-2017, 07:39 PM
btimbit

John Shannon @JSportsnet
Tkachuk phone hearing is done. Not sure when decision will be announced.

Old
03-20-2017, 07:45 PM
btimbit

Old
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 125
2 games.

Old
Former Referee 68

2 games as per DPS

Old
03-20-2017, 07:46 PM
npanciroli

Fair suspension imo

Old
03-20-2017, 07:46 PM
btimbit

Would have been hard to argue one game, 2 seems a little odd considering the stuff they let go

Closed Thread