HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Update: Suspended 2 Games | Tkachuk elbows Doughty in head [MOD WARNING: SEE OP]

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2017, 06:42 PM
  #701
Frank the Tank
Blue, you're my boy!
 
Frank the Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
If you played, you'd know it to be true. oh...

you also ignored my intent blurb (wonder why?? lol )

Are we seeing 4 - 6 of these up-swinging elbow-to-the-jaw in every NHL game this season?
No? There's your intent.
Tkachuk's intent is made clear when he takes his lower hand off his stick as it clearly demonstrates pre-meditation in him preparing to throw his shoulder/elbow back into Doughty.

Frank the Tank is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 06:43 PM
  #702
Method Man
Bring the Pain
 
Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,752
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Tkachuk's intent is made clear when he takes his lower hand off his stick as it clearly demonstrates pre-meditation in him preparing to throw his shoulder/elbow back into Doughty.
Intent to elbow/hit is not the same as intent to injure though, which is what I believe was being posed originally.

Method Man is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 06:46 PM
  #703
UglyStupidAds
Registered User
 
UglyStupidAds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Method Man View Post
Intent to elbow and intent to injure aren't the same thing but something happening regularly or not is not proof of anything.

Also it is cute that you think because I disagree with you and think know your post was BS that make the leap that I've never played.
Intent to elbow and intent to injure SHOULD be the same thing. Swinging an elbow at someone is going to lead to an injury more often than not.

UglyStupidAds is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 06:48 PM
  #704
Frank the Tank
Blue, you're my boy!
 
Frank the Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Method Man View Post
Intent to elbow/hit is not the same as intent to injure though, which is what I believe was being posed originally.
The intent of Tkachuk to throw his elbow backwards recklessly indicates an intent to hit his opponent using an illegal move. He probably didn't mean to hit Doughty in the head; however, when a player uses an illegal move and it results in a head-shot, the offending player still remains responsible for the result of using an intentionally reckless and illegal play.

Frank the Tank is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 06:50 PM
  #705
Method Man
Bring the Pain
 
Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,752
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Intent to elbow and intent to injure SHOULD be the same thing. Swinging an elbow at someone is going to lead to an injury more often than not.
He didn't swing his elbow, he lifted it, usually that's a 2 minute penalty and generally not more than a fine. You can intend to have someone run into your elbow without intending to injure them.

Method Man is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 06:52 PM
  #706
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan
 
settinguptheplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Method Man View Post
Intent to elbow/hit is not the same as intent to injure though, which is what I believe was being posed originally.
Yes it is. Perhaps not a hit but an elbow to the head/face sure is. Why else would you toss your elbow into someone's face? Certainly not for a massage. Face's are not made of granite. Elbow pads are not pillowy soft. What other reason can you think of if not to cause harm.

settinguptheplay is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 06:52 PM
  #707
Method Man
Bring the Pain
 
Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,752
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
The intent of Tkachuk to throw his elbow backwards recklessly indicates an intent to hit his opponent using an illegal move. He probably didn't mean to hit Doughty in the head; however, when a player uses an illegal move and it results in a head-shot, the offending player still remains responsible for the result of using an intentionally reckless and illegal play.
I've never said he wasn't responsible, in fact throughout this thread I've said he is responsible. I am just just tired of the hyperbole that Tkachuk was basically trying to behead Doughty.

Method Man is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 06:54 PM
  #708
Method Man
Bring the Pain
 
Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,752
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by settinguptheplay View Post
Yes it is. Perhaps not a hit but an elbow to the head/face sure is. Why else would you toss your elbow into someone's face? Certainly not for a massage. Face's are not made of granite. Elbow pads are not pillowy soft. What other reason can you think of if not to cause harm.
Who said he was aiming for the head? He wasn't even looking at Doughty when contact was made, that claim is a bit if a leap. Elbows to the chest are extremely common and it is likely that was the intent here.

Method Man is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 06:54 PM
  #709
Deen
Registered User
 
Deen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 899
So are we waiting on a decision yet to come today? Or not until tomorrow?

Deen is online now  
Old
03-20-2017, 06:55 PM
  #710
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan
 
settinguptheplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Method Man View Post
I've never said he wasn't responsible, in fact throughout this thread I've said he is responsible. I am just just tired of the hyperbole that Tkachuk was basically trying to behead Doughty.
Agree. It certainly wasn't a viscous hit. Just not a smart one. A game or 2 would be plenty.

settinguptheplay is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 07:00 PM
  #711
Ubi Sunt
Hater/Loser
 
Ubi Sunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,072
vCash: 500
John Shannon just tweeted that the phone hearing is still going.

Ubi Sunt is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 07:02 PM
  #712
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan
 
settinguptheplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Method Man View Post
Who said he was aiming for the head? He wasn't even looking at Doughty when contact was made, that claim is a bit if a leap. Elbows to the chest are extremely common and it is likely that was the intent here.
He knew he was there though. It is not like a random accident. He knew Doughty was there and he even raised his elbow and pressed back to prepare for a hit. He knew damn well where he was. Why did he raise his elbow so high? Why did he begin to push back before Doughty arrived? Cause he knew what he was doing. Hence it being a cheap hit worthy of a short suspension. Tkachuk is a rat. But that does not mean he is not a good hockey player.

settinguptheplay is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 07:04 PM
  #713
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,396
vCash: 23163
Awards:
Just added a new angle to the OP that I hadn't seen yet. Although I think it may have been posted in here somewhere already judging by some of the conversation on this page.

__________________
Who wants to brave those bronze beauties, lying in the sun
With their long soft hair falling, flying as they run
Oh they smile so shy and they flirt so well
And they lay you down so fast
Till you look straight up and say
Oh lord, am I really here at last?
Chairman Maouth is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 07:05 PM
  #714
Highbrow
Know-Nothing
 
Highbrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,344
vCash: 500
I thought the play was going to worse to be honest. It's dirty and Tkachuk should have been forced to drop the gloves with a Kings player as a result but I don't know if it's deserving of a suspension. I wonder if it looks worse from another angle?

[EDIT] What timing... there's the other angle and, yep, it's worse from that one!

Highbrow is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 07:05 PM
  #715
McFlyingV
#Free :]
 
McFlyingV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,326
vCash: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Method Man View Post
I think you three need to untwist your panties, I never commented on the play nor the player, just commented on the quote. I said when it happened he deserved a suspension, so perhaps you are better off not making assumptions about someone.
No need for assumptions when you completely downplayed Doughty calling him a dirty player. Why try to justify why Doughty said it if not to try and defend Tkachuk? If you have another explanation for your response then I'd love to hear it.

In other words, if you seem to think you can speculate on Doughty's motives then I think posters can speculate on yours as well.

McFlyingV is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 07:16 PM
  #716
SupremeTeam16
5-14-6-1
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,060
vCash: 500
I would be surprised if he wasn't suspended, between his history in his young career and the play itself there is a pretty strong case for a suspension. My guess is 2 games. Doughty's statement on the whole thing probably doesn't help either, Doughty is a superstar and has juice in this league, Tkachuk is a nobody.

SupremeTeam16 is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 07:17 PM
  #717
Method Man
Bring the Pain
 
Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,752
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFlyingV View Post
No need for assumptions when you completely downplayed Doughty calling him a dirty player. Why try to justify why Doughty said it if not to try and defend Tkachuk? If you have another explanation for your response then I'd love to hear it.

In other words, if you seem to think you can speculate on Doughty's motives then I think posters can speculate on yours as well.
What fan doesn't defend the players on their team? Especially with the endless and ridiculous hyperbole being thrown around.

Method Man is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 07:21 PM
  #718
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobga View Post
How does that timing line up with when the Flames complained to the league about how many penalties they were getting?
A couple things:

1. The Flames met with the league in November. News only got out about it in the new year.

2. If it worked... don't you think they had a legitimate complaint?

Ashasx is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 07:39 PM
  #719
gambitlebo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Method Man View Post
What fan doesn't defend the players on their team? Especially with the endless and ridiculous hyperbole being thrown around.
A lot of fans don't wear 'rose-colored' glasses just because a player wears the uniform of their favorite team.

In fact, those fans that do make people dislike their team even more.

Most true fans will admit when a player on their team crosses the line. It doesn't mean you hate the guy or you want him off your team but rather it just shows that you can look at a play and say, "yeah, that was stupid and I wish he didn't do it".

For example, I liked Marty McSorley when I was a kid. While he wasn't playing for my favorite team when it happened, I had no issues saying what he did was inexcusable and he should be thrown out of the league. I don't know too many people that thought differently. Maybe you would have because "he's on your team"?

Granted, that was an extreme example but it shows that not everyone is going to defend "their player" just because of the emblem on their chest.

It was a bad play on Tkachuk's part. The same way you are saying people can't know or say he was trying to hurt another player, well, you can't say he wasn't for the same reason.

gambitlebo is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 07:39 PM
  #720
btimbit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 50
John Shannon @JSportsnet
Tkachuk phone hearing is done. Not sure when decision will be announced.

btimbit is online now  
Old
03-20-2017, 07:45 PM
  #721
btimbit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 50

btimbit is online now  
Old
03-20-2017, 07:45 PM
  #722
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,826
vCash: 125
2 games.

syz is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 07:45 PM
  #723
Former Referee 68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
2 games as per DPS

Former Referee 68 is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 07:46 PM
  #724
npanciroli
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Fair suspension imo

npanciroli is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 07:46 PM
  #725
btimbit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 50
Would have been hard to argue one game, 2 seems a little odd considering the stuff they let go

btimbit is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.