HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Does anyone really care about the betting?

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2006, 05:12 PM
CuSa_1

vCash: 500
Does anyone really care about the betting?

I keep hearing that it's "another black eye for hockey". I think it's crap... so what if he bet on sports? As long as he hasn't bet for or against the Coyotes, it's fine. I guess I better stop filling out my March Madness brackets.

Old
02-08-2006, 05:58 PM
virtuefan1

If it gets out that these people involved were betting on hockey then the NHL is screwed. If Wayne Gretzky is envolved in betting on hockey then you mights as well find a new sport to watch cause NHL hockey will go right down the toilet.

The thing that really scares me about this whole thing is the fact that this is tied to the MOB. Lets hope that the ongoing investigation doesn't find anything more. But I am not holding my breathe

Old
02-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Philoushka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
I keep hearing that it's "another black eye for hockey". I think it's crap... so what if he bet on sports? As long as he hasn't bet for or against the Coyotes, it's fine. I guess I better stop filling out my March Madness brackets.
Maybe you missed the part about the money laundering?

Old
02-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Here's why it's a potential problem:

Say you're in the NHL (player, coach, whatever), and you're making bets. Not bets in Las Vegas where you'd actually have to plunk down the money, you're making bets at Cal's Bait Shop where you don't actually have to pony up the dough when you make your bet. Well, you're not so good at making successful bets and before too long you're down $50K, $100K, $200K, .... and you get called to make good on your losses. As luck would have it, it's been a bad month for you and you just can't cough up the dough to cover your losses, and Vito (Frank, Vinny, John, whoever) wants his money and isn't real happy about being out 200 grand.

However, for a "small favor" he'll let you off the hook. All you have to do is make sure your team loses the next game. Or two games. You do that, you're off the hook for the amount you're down right now.

Sound far-fetched? It could quite easily happen. And *that* is why the major sports leagues really frown on people directly involved with the game betting on sports in general.

02-08-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Sound far-fetched? It could quite easily happen. And *that* is why the major sports leagues really frown on people directly involved with the game betting on sports in general.

Old
02-09-2006, 03:00 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
I agree with you as long as they didnt bet Hockey I could give a **** less.

Closed Thread