HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers scouts at Pens-Canes Game

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Hemmer

vCash: 500
Oilers scouts at Pens-Canes Game

According to this article, which was also posted in the trade rumors board, the Oilers had a scout attending the game between the Pens and the Canes. There were 12 other teams represented...

http://www.post-gazette.com/penguins...slog1023p5.asp

Old
10-22-2003, 09:59 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
According to this article, which was also posted in the trade rumors board, the Oilers had a scout attending the game between the Pens and the Canes. There were 12 other teams represented...

http://www.post-gazette.com/penguins...slog1023p5.asp
Interesting! I've seen this posted at a few boards now. Wonder if those rumours about Carolina being interested might have a bit of truth to them.

Old
10-23-2003, 03:52 AM
Mikey 71

I have posted on another board for quite a while now that the Oil should try to get Vasicek out of Carolina. He is solid in pretty much every aspect of his game outside of toughness and has the creativity to eventually be a #1 center, in the right situation. Edmonton may very well be that situation. IMHO, he would be the #1 center right now and would allow Smyth to stay on the wing. I don't know if they are interested in Comrie, but I honestly think that having both Staal AND Vasicek on the same team is not the best idea. I don't see how you can develop the 2 young centers at the same time and give them both the focus they would need.

Old
10-23-2003, 04:02 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 71
I have posted on another board for quite a while now that the Oil should try to get Vasicek out of Carolina. He is solid in pretty much every aspect of his game outside of toughness and has the creativity to eventually be a #1 center, in the right situation. Edmonton may very well be that situation. IMHO, he would be the #1 center right now and would allow Smyth to stay on the wing. I don't know if they are interested in Comrie, but I honestly think that having both Staal AND Vasicek on the same team is not the best idea. I don't see how you can develop the 2 young centers at the same time and give them both the focus they would need.
I don't know much about Vasicek, but I have liked him the two or three times I've seen him - I think he'd do better on a faster team than the Oilers. I think there would have to be something thrown in by both teams to even out the deal, though.

That aside, I was looking at their profiles on TSN.ca, and there are eerie similarities-
Comrie was born 9/11/80, Vasicek 9/12/80 (He's bigger and younger - we'd win! :p), and they were both drafted 91st overall, though oddly Comrie was 3rd round and Vasicek was 4th round. Hmm.

I'm going to stop before I start to sound like a conspiracy theorist. Getting back to the point, if we got Vasicek, he could at least allow York to move back to the wing. Even if he doesn't have the offensive ability to play on the first line, he could certainly ably replace Chimera's production on the second.

Old
10-23-2003, 04:07 AM
M00se

I like the idea of Vasicek but I would want more then just him coming back. Maybe Vasicek and one of Tomas Malec/Jesse Lane/Brad Fast. I've never seen any of them play so I'd have no idea who we would want out of them. But Comrie for a big young center and a defenman prospect would be OK in my mind.

Old
10-23-2003, 04:12 AM
Allan

I don't know anything about them either, but the Canes fans don't seem to like Malec and Lane much.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=20143
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=14491

Old
10-23-2003, 05:22 AM
Slats432

Boy wouldn't Jeff O'Neill or Dany Markov look good in Oiler silks...

Old
10-23-2003, 05:27 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Boy wouldn't Jeff O'Neill or Dany Markov look good in Oiler silks...
Exactly. Better to get an impact player back rather than guys that will improve us if at all only marginally.

Old
10-23-2003, 05:32 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Exactly. Better to get an impact player back rather than guys that will improve us if at all only marginally.
It would be nice, but I don't think there is much chance of it happening.

Old
10-23-2003, 05:38 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
It would be nice, but I don't think there is much chance of it happening.
Well than I don't see Lowe making a deal at this time. He'll probably wait until one team tanks badly.

Old
10-23-2003, 05:40 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Well than I don't see Lowe making a deal at this time. He'll probably wait until one team tanks badly.
Fair enough. I agree, actually. I was just responding to Mikey's comments about Vasicek.

Old
10-23-2003, 06:24 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I would love to see the Oilers go out and get O'Neil! Markov too would be a great Oiler. What would we be talking to get those two?
Comrie and what? Chimera and a third? Smith?

Old
10-23-2003, 06:30 AM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I would love to see the Oilers go out and get O'Neil! Markov too would be a great Oiler. What would we be talking to get those two?
Comrie and what? Chimera and a third? Smith?
Markov is making more than Smith $2,700,000.00

Old
10-23-2003, 06:38 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Thought there might be a few points worth mentioning here...

1. Carolina is WELL over the slated budget for the year already. With having to sign Danni Markov at more than we wanted to, and even trading for Bob Boughner as an expensive insurance policy added to the already hefty, and equally unexpected, expense of having to sign Eric Staal, the team has been left in somewhat disarray. I can't really see the Hurricanes adding more salary to a team that is already under-acheiving. Also, the Hurricanes are more in the habit of trading hold-outs than trading FOR them. Just ask David Tanabe and Keith Primeau. This front office focuses just as much on off the ice action as it does to on the ice action. This is a character club first and foremost. If Comrie has the reputation of a prima donna, then JR and PK won't touch him with a ten foot pole.

2. Vasicek has looked quite sharp in the early going this season. He's grown an inch and put on some good weight in the offseason and his play is indicative of that. We had a little trouble getting to terms with Vasicek and i'm fairly confident that if we were planning on trading him it would have been done by now. He has all the tools that it's going to take to round into a very special player. The weakest part of his game coming in, his faceoffs, has been dramatically improved by playing alongside Ron Francis and Rod Brind'Amour. He's a steady two-way center now and he's a big kid with a big reach on top of that. Carolina has groomed this kid as the heir to the throne for the past 3 years and i'm not so sure they're going to fully develop him just to ship him off somewhere else where he could possibly make use of the development time we put into him.

3. Malec isn't going anywhere, nor is Lane. Tomas Malec is the style of defenseman that is most coveted in this league. He's a gritty, two-way defenseman with a mean streak and a knack for scoring some impressive goals. Lane, is a offensive minded defenseman that this team desperately needs. Along with Danny Richmond, we're going to be looking at these two guys as becoming our powerplay quarterback of the future with Tanabe out of the loop. If you're going to get anything back from Carolina, it's not going to be a defenseman. We're paper thin there already. Now if you wanted to talk Damian Surma, Tomas Kurka, Brad DeFauw, Jaro Svoboda, or Pavel Brendl then we might be able to work something out.

Old
10-23-2003, 06:44 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Thought there might be a few points worth mentioning here...

1. Carolina is WELL over the slated budget for the year already. With having to sign Danni Markov at more than we wanted to, and even trading for Bob Boughner as an expensive insurance policy added to the already hefty, and equally unexpected, expense of having to sign Eric Staal, the team has been left in somewhat disarray. I can't really see the Hurricanes adding more salary to a team that is already under-acheiving. Also, the Hurricanes are more in the habit of trading hold-outs than trading FOR them. Just ask David Tanabe and Keith Primeau. This front office focuses just as much on off the ice action as it does to on the ice action. This is a character club first and foremost. If Comrie has the reputation of a prima donna, then JR and PK won't touch him with a ten foot pole.

2. Vasicek has looked quite sharp in the early going this season. He's grown an inch and put on some good weight in the offseason and his play is indicative of that. We had a little trouble getting to terms with Vasicek and i'm fairly confident that if we were planning on trading him it would have been done by now. He has all the tools that it's going to take to round into a very special player. The weakest part of his game coming in, his faceoffs, has been dramatically improved by playing alongside Ron Francis and Rod Brind'Amour. He's a steady two-way center now and he's a big kid with a big reach on top of that. Carolina has groomed this kid as the heir to the throne for the past 3 years and i'm not so sure they're going to fully develop him just to ship him off somewhere else where he could possibly make use of the development time we put into him.

3. Malec isn't going anywhere, nor is Lane. Tomas Malec is the style of defenseman that is most coveted in this league. He's a gritty, two-way defenseman with a mean streak and a knack for scoring some impressive goals. Lane, is a offensive minded defenseman that this team desperately needs. Along with Danny Richmond, we're going to be looking at these two guys as becoming our powerplay quarterback of the future with Tanabe out of the loop. If you're going to get anything back from Carolina, it's not going to be a defenseman. We're paper thin there already. Now if you wanted to talk Damian Surma, Tomas Kurka, Brad DeFauw, Jaro Svoboda, or Pavel Brendl then we might be able to work something out.
Comrie IS a superior player to all of the people you listed. He IS a character player - and he ISN'T a prima dona. The thing is he either A. Wants out of the HUGE pressure of hometown or B. wants to nagotiate a deal using the old market and not the post 04 market that Lowe wants to use. You have to give to get, and you won't come close to Comrie if your only willing to part with players like Damian Surma, Tomas Kurka, Brad DeFauw, Jaro Svoboda, or Pavel Brendl. And from what has been wrote about the situation, and with scouts at the games, etc. you can't say, fine then we aren't interested, as really you have no baises to say that.

Old
10-23-2003, 06:49 AM
MrMackey

I'd be happy if the Oilers were scouting either team. Lowe has stated more than once that they're looking for top-end talent in a Comrie deal, and I think both teams have some great young prospects that could be coming back.

If money truly isn't an issue, than perhaps Pittsburgh could sign him for a couple of years to a bonus-heavy deal and have him play on the top line once Lemieux retires.

Old
10-23-2003, 06:52 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Comrie IS a superior player to all of the people you listed. He IS a character player - and he ISN'T a prima dona. The thing is he either A. Wants out of the HUGE pressure of hometown or B. wants to nagotiate a deal using the old market and not the post 04 market that Lowe wants to use. You have to give to get, and you won't come close to Comrie if your only willing to part with players like Damian Surma, Tomas Kurka, Brad DeFauw, Jaro Svoboda, or Pavel Brendl. And from what has been wrote about the situation, and with scouts at the games, etc. you can't say, fine then we aren't interested, as really you have no baises to say that.
Well I wasn't exactly trying to detract from Mike Comrie's character here, I was just stating that this franchise has never traded for a holdout and I don't see that trend changing. Regardless of the intentions, a holdout still calls for a certain amount of audacity.

Also, I wasn't really speaking for the franchise with my comments. I was more trying to illustrate the points behind which I felt the team would have little to no interest in the services of Mike Comrie at his current salary. I also wasn't sugguesting that the players I listed would be coming over alone for Comrie. I was just saying that in the stead of Tomas Malec or Jesse Lane, these players would make more sense from a Carolina standpoint than trading from a position we were already weak in.

It's just in my humble opinion that Carolina has no interest in Comrie, and insight towards the issues is all that I can decide or provide at this juncture. Thats what we have this message board for.

Old
10-23-2003, 06:53 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

It'd make my year, if the Oilers traded for a HEALTHY Straka!! He'd be a perfect Oiler, and could work REALLY good with the Hemsky/Smyth line!!!! I know the dough probably won't let this go, though, so thats gonna blow. (I'm such a good rhymer!! )

Old
10-23-2003, 06:58 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Well I wasn't exactly trying to detract from Mike Comrie's character here, I was just stating that this franchise has never traded for a holdout and I don't see that trend changing. Regardless of the intentions, a holdout still calls for a certain amount of audacity.

Also, I wasn't really speaking for the franchise with my comments. I was more trying to illustrate the points behind which I felt the team would have little to no interest in the services of Mike Comrie at his current salary. I also wasn't sugguesting that the players I listed would be coming over alone for Comrie. I was just saying that in the stead of Tomas Malec or Jesse Lane, these players would make more sense from a Carolina standpoint than trading from a position we were already weak in.

It's just in my humble opinion that Carolina has no interest in Comrie, and insight towards the issues is all that I can decide or provide at this juncture. Thats what we have this message board for.
Yes, I was aware of it was just your opinion, I mean hey, 99.99% of this board is somebodies opinion. But no it doesn't take audacity to be a hold out. Do you think that Peca is audacious? He held out an entire year for a trade! I mean Malec and Lane are mid level prospects (Malec is better then Lane) It would take ALOT more then just those two to get Comrie (although I don't see the Oilers dealing Comrie for two D prospects, and I don't see the Canes dealing two D prospects for one center).

Old
10-23-2003, 07:06 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Yes, I was aware of it was just your opinion, I mean hey, 99.99% of this board is somebodies opinion. But no it doesn't take audacity to be a hold out. Do you think that Peca is audacious? He held out an entire year for a trade! I mean Malec and Lane are mid level prospects (Malec is better then Lane) It would take ALOT more then just those two to get Comrie (although I don't see the Oilers dealing Comrie for two D prospects, and I don't see the Canes dealing two D prospects for one center).
Well I beg to differ that it doesn't take audacity to be a holdout. It's a virtual black-list in the NHL of the players who have held out for any length of time at all. Regardless of the situation the player is in, you still have to realize that the basis behind any holdout is greed. Be it greed for money, icetime, or just a new location, it still reverts back to the simple idea that this player is dissatisfied with his current status and wants to scrap it to start anew. Once a player holds out, it shows that it's in his nature to maybe do it again, thus making him a dimished asset. I'm also aware of the fact that Malec and Lane are mid-level prospects. But be it as it may, they are still the best we have on the blueline as far as youth is concerned and that elevates their value to this club more than it does to a prospective trade partner. I was just trying to convey that Carolina has a logjam at forward and if you're looking for that coveted mid-level prospect, the blueline isn't the right venue to take.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:25 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
It'd make my year, if the Oilers traded for a HEALTHY Straka!! He'd be a perfect Oiler, and could work REALLY good with the Hemsky/Smyth line!!!! I know the dough probably won't let this go, though, so thats gonna blow. (I'm such a good rhymer!! )
Healthy Straka is a bigger oxymoron than Jumbo shirmp or military intelligence.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:40 AM
Big T

Maybe they were scouting the Pens. Is there anyone there interesting?

Old
10-23-2003, 10:33 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T
Maybe they were scouting the Pens. Is there anyone there interesting?
I like Kraft, Rosczival (sp?), Abid, and Tarnstrom to name a few. Probably on of the best crops of young talent around, IMO... the fact that there's so damn many is one of their greatest weaknesses.

Lemieux, Straka, Bucky, and Eastwood are their key veterans.

Old
10-23-2003, 12:20 PM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I don't know much about Vasicek, but I have liked him the two or three times I've seen him - I think he'd do better on a faster team than the Oilers.

Is that possible?

Old
10-23-2003, 12:24 PM
nineteen79

Over at spectors he believes Milan Kraft is being shopped around so maybe it has nothing to do with Comrie at all and could be Rita or another minor deal in the works.Just my thoughts.

Closed Thread