HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers scouts at Pens-Canes Game

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 12:32 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
I think a trade with Pittsburgh is highly unlikely. It doesn't seem to me like they'd be willing to part with the additional players/pick that they'd have to add to a Ramzi Abid or other young player. That said, I'd be all for getting Abid if it could be done for less than Mike Comrie.

The Canes are probably not willing either to part with what would be required, and Josef Vasicek isn't worth that deal, much less middle prospects. I can't see Jeff O'Neill being dealt.

Old
10-23-2003, 12:35 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteen79
Over at spectors he believes Milan Kraft is being shopped around so maybe it has nothing to do with Comrie at all and could be Rita or another minor deal in the works.Just my thoughts.
Kraft's scouting report from TSN.ca

DOB: Jan 17, 1980
POB: Plzen, Czech. (CZE)
HT: 6-3
WT: 214
Shoots: R
NHL Seasons: 3

Preseason projected role : Kraft will be given one more opportunity to play a prominent role with the Penguins in 2003-04. However, time is starting to run out on the talented Czech.

Assets : Sees the ice extremely well and is a premier stickhandling center. Has a goal-scorer's touch, great size and plays the game without a sense of panic.

Flaws : Needs to get stronger in order to better handle physical defenders. Must improve his ability to win face-offs in order to remain a center.

Career potential : Top-six forward.

Old
10-23-2003, 12:41 PM
AEKaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
It'd make my year, if the Oilers traded for a HEALTHY Straka!! He'd be a perfect Oiler, and could work REALLY good with the Hemsky/Smyth line!!!! I know the dough probably won't let this go, though, so thats gonna blow. (I'm such a good rhymer!! )

Straka is not injury prone.
He had his 1 year bad luck but that was it. He hasn't been injured since.
Noone in the hockey world said he was injury prone.
Yes the dmen falling on his leg was bad, then Hedberg hitting him in the face with his stick was also unlucky and then a machine falling on him was also very bad... but you can't call that injury-prone man.

I have to agree with you. A healthy Straka would look very nice in an Oilers uniform...

Old
10-23-2003, 12:47 PM
AEKaki

What kind of deal would you see happening between the Pens and Oilers?

Include variables like Comrie, Straka, Abid, Kraft, ... Add components from both sides to balance the equation & make it fair...

Also, everyone expects Salo to maybe get traded (because of his salary). Pens also have Caron who is a good young goalie that I saw in person in Montreal and I expected to be #1 this year, but noone can beat Fleury. You think maybe the Oilers are interested in Caron...

I'm just naming you a few players.
I don't know about Tarnstrom, if he is available. He might be but we have to see if he continues after his 1st good season...

Kraft is one of my favorites. Look this guy has been critisized everywhere, but I think that noone has gave him the chance. People say that he got the chance, but come on, 4-5 games only is not a "chance". I have a good feeling about this kid because he has the talent and maybe a team like the Oilers could find another Dvorak/Isbister type sleeper in a young Kraft.

Old
10-23-2003, 01:36 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkouklos
Straka is not injury prone.
He had his 1 year bad luck but that was it. He hasn't been injured since.
Noone in the hockey world said he was injury prone.
Yes the dmen falling on his leg was bad, then Hedberg hitting him in the face with his stick was also unlucky and then a machine falling on him was also very bad... but you can't call that injury-prone man.

I have to agree with you. A healthy Straka would look very nice in an Oilers uniform...
Never said he was injury prone. But he hasn't been healthy often in recent history - bad luck or what not. He isn't healthy prone, lets put it that way!

Old
10-23-2003, 01:52 PM
copperandblue

Is there any merit to the idea that maybe Lowe would be looking at Pittsburg's 1st round pick next year?

Most people are picking Pittsburg to finish very low.

This is clearly pure speculation but;
Maybe Lowe would gamble that Pittsburg will finish dead last and Pittsburg would be willing to gamble that they aren't as bad as everyone thinks there for be willing to trade the pick or the pick,+ for a proven player like Comrie.

Don't crucify me for making the suggestion, it was just something that crossed my mind.

Old
10-23-2003, 01:55 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
Is there any merit to the idea that maybe Lowe would be looking at Pittsburg's 1st round pick next year?

Maybe Lowe would gamble that Pittsburg will finish dead last and Pittsburg would be willing to gamble that they aren't as bad as everyone thinks there for be willing to trade the pick or the pick,+ for a proven player like Comrie.

Don't crucify me for making the suggestion, it was just something that crossed my mind.
To risky for Lowe. EVEN IF Mario retired RIGHT now, and Straka was traded for a pick, the Pens could finishe deadlast by 10 points and STILL not get to draft first overall. The only player in the upcoming draft that I'd want to see Comrie given up for is to get Ovechkin.

Old
10-23-2003, 02:25 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
to Caniac...didn;t the canes just trade for Markov who is about as close to a holdout as you can get w/o actually being a holdout? I believe they did, and whether it was because of poor research by JR or whoever they took a huge risk there and paid for it in the long run, should i expect markov to be moved, if so i'd do Comrie/Moreau for Markov+, i know the + would have to be some kind of salary becuase you are already over budget...maybe O'Neill is more likely to move. who knows.

as far as the pens go, i posted these on the pens board...

Comrie for Surovy/Welch

or

Comrie for Surovy/Rosival/3rd

Surovy has a snipers touch and plays hard in the corners/along the wall and plays some solid D, he's young and has good stickhandling/vision.

Old
10-23-2003, 02:49 PM
DJ Spinoza

Posted this our board, but I thought more would see it here.

How about Tarnstrom and Surovy?

I'm trying to gauge the interest for Tarnstrom from Oiler fans. I don't get to catch many Oil games, nor any other team not playing the Pens on any given night, thanks to ESPN and our beloved NBA.

Anyways, I think Tarnstrom at this point is expendable, and is Straka. If you get Straka, make sure to bolt your weight machines down.

Also, what about a Rita deal too? I don't know a whole lot about him. Is he struggling? Maybe we could work Rita and Kraft into a possible Comrie deal. Could Rita use a change of scenery? I think Kraft could. He is still young and talented, many Pens fans view him as well as Beech busts too, incorrectly I might add. The way people view young players in Pittsburgh is pathetic.

Anyways, thoughts?

Old
10-23-2003, 03:13 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball
Is that possible?
Typo. It's supposed to read "a faster team like the Oilers".

Old
10-23-2003, 04:07 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
to Caniac...didn;t the canes just trade for Markov who is about as close to a holdout as you can get w/o actually being a holdout? I believe they did, and whether it was because of poor research by JR or whoever they took a huge risk there and paid for it in the long run, should i expect markov to be moved, if so i'd do Comrie/Moreau for Markov+, i know the + would have to be some kind of salary becuase you are already over budget...maybe O'Neill is more likely to move. who knows.

as far as the pens go, i posted these on the pens board...

Comrie for Surovy/Welch

or

Comrie for Surovy/Rosival/3rd

Surovy has a snipers touch and plays hard in the corners/along the wall and plays some solid D, he's young and has good stickhandling/vision.
I think Pittsburgh is one of the least likely destinations for Comrie. It looks as if they are trying to build a strong d corps around stellar goal-tending and grab a wide assortment of cheap decent potential players who never delivered("busts") and give them loads of ice-time to find their game. The only thing we want out of them is a top d prospect (which they are not willing to give) or a 1st pick which any rebuilding team would never sacrifice, in addition to the fact that Comrie would hurt there budgetary concerns the only way he gets traded if we take on as much or more salary as we give up and that would require far too many players as everyone on Pitts is payed relatively little other than indespensable pieces(Lemieux,Fleury, and Straka). It can only become a possibility if Straka gets traded to us or someone else to free up budget otherwise its just a pipe dream.

Old
10-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
Well you're right. The Markov move was one that was made pretty much on the fly without any prior knowledge of Markov's status and willingness to sign, which I thought was poor ethics on the part of Gretzky and the Coyotes. Still though, it was a mistake and we payed dearly for it. But this situation is a tad bit differant considering that the Comrie status is pretty much public knowledge and I personally don't think the Canes would touch it. Thats just my opinion though.

Old
10-23-2003, 05:24 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
I think as soon as there is a trade in place comrie signs for no more than 1.7 million, its just that he wants out. Also, i'd agree on the Markov trade, there were poor decisions made by both parties. Congrats on staal's first tonight, how'd it look if you got to see it?

Butcher: common logic would agree the pens are not in need of taking on salary and do seem to be building from the net out (Fleury, Orpik, Whitery, Lupy, Welch, etc.) That being said, once lemieux and straka are gone they have an extrmely bare cupboard up front as far as offensive talent goes.

Depending on what comrie wants as far as finances go, he might just be able to fit into the pens plans if they can unload someone like straka or tarnstrom.

Old
10-23-2003, 05:51 PM
DJ Spinoza

The one problem with moving Straka is that Edmonton doesn't want to pay for a smallish young center in the first place, so why move his rights for a more expensive, older smallish center?

Tarnstrom makes just a little over a million, I believe. He seems more feasable for Edmonton to go after in my opinion.

The Pens do have a nice group of young forwards, but none of them projects to be a very good first or even pretty good first line player. Although they have a player that is similar to Comrie in the system (Ben Eaves of BC), Comrie would provide a young, established player.

We'll see how this plays out. It will be interesting, and I would certainly be glad to trade for Comrie. Hopefully, the trade can work out well for both teams if it happens.

Old
10-23-2003, 05:52 PM
DJ Spinoza

Umm...

After re-reading a little in this thread...

The problem is that Comrie wants to be out of Edmonton right? Or is it that Edmonton won't or can't pay him?

Or a combination?

Old
10-23-2003, 06:19 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
Umm...

After re-reading a little in this thread...

The problem is that Comrie wants to be out of Edmonton right? Or is it that Edmonton won't or can't pay him?

Or a combination?

Nobody really knows, but both sides have made cryptic remarks about the problem not being monetary. For better or worse, they have a confidentiality agreement, so nobody hears anything.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:06 PM
AEKaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue

Pens aren't stupid to trade their 1st.
They are keeping in purpose to draft Ovechkin/Olesz... depending on where they land. Hopefully Ovechkin.

Now for Comrie thing.
What about Kraft, Rozsival and a 3rd.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:23 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

What about Radim Vrbata from the Canes. He's had a slow start this year, but a lot of people think that he will be a gem eventually.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:29 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Well you're right. The Markov move was one that was made pretty much on the fly without any prior knowledge of Markov's status and willingness to sign, which I thought was poor ethics on the part of Gretzky and the Coyotes. Still though, it was a mistake and we payed dearly for it. But this situation is a tad bit differant considering that the Comrie status is pretty much public knowledge and I personally don't think the Canes would touch it. Thats just my opinion though.
Buddy it's buyer beware - they should have done the work and made sure that this kid was willing to stay. It's there own fault for putting themselves in that bad position!

Old
10-26-2003, 01:05 PM
Hemmer

Brind'amour

Old
10-26-2003, 04:50 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Buddy it's buyer beware - they should have done the work and made sure that this kid was willing to stay. It's there own fault for putting themselves in that bad position!
Yup, all it would have (should have) taken was, say, "Hey Wayne, d'you mind if we talk to Dani before we finalise this trade, we wanna see what it's gonna take to get him signed." Followed by "Oh, you do mind, why is that I wonder... no deal," or, "Cool, ok Dani, what would it take for you to sign with us, this isn't binding but we'll send you to the ECHL if you screw around with us."

As for Comrie to the Canes... I don't think anybody besides Markov really catches my eye, I wouldn't want to see prospects coming back and their veteran players don't really do anything Oilers vets don't. Jeff O'Neill is interesting, maybe Erik Cole (although he seems to have cooled off after that great playoffs a couple of years ago)... that's about it.

This could, of course, just be my general ignorance of the Canes.

Closed Thread