HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Two out of three years Art Ross goes to a player with less than 100 points

Old
03-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Richard

vCash: 145
Two out of three years Art Ross goes to a player with less than 100 points

This will be the second season in three where the Art Ross will go to a player with less than 100 points. In fact, in the last three years only Patrick Kane has cracked the 90 point barrier with 106 points.

It's almost a mathematical certainty that no player will hit the century mark this season; in fact only two players may hit 90 points.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm no longer planning on shelling out 120$ to watch sucky players hook, hold, and "check." Additionally, I don't want to watch Michelin men tend goal and have the same save percentage as the all-time greats who wore glorified shin pads.

It's very simple, the goalies will NEVER agree to a reduction of their equipment to significant levels. You have to make the the nets 6x5. It's that simple and it needs to be that much. Butterflying at the top of the crease should not cover 92% of the net. If you want to make a save you need to work for it more.

A perfect shot should beat a perfect position-at least in the blue paint. I want to see goalies have to gamble with math rather than just sit there. How can you collapse when a wrister from the top of the circles goes in again?

It would change the entire dynamic of the league.

Stop with these half measures. No one wants to see scrubs. No one wants to see sucky players block shots and be "brave."

I want goals, hits and fights. Make hockey, hockey again.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:03 AM
Rectify
I HAVE A JOB!!

vCash: 500
Then don't spend the money or watch the sport. Plenty of other options out there.

Rectify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:07 AM
Melrose Munch

I agree OP. The game sucks right now and is not entertaining to the casual fan.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:08 AM
Keithsteeth

Don't ignore that some of the reason for this is that players are being deployed differently. Teams have learned to rest their top players more and not to play them quite so many minutes during the regular season.

This is very similar to the situation in the NBA.

Keithsteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Laineux

The goalie equipment hasn't gotten bigger.

Laineux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:15 AM
Mantis
I am a doctah

vCash: 50
Okay

Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:16 AM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
The entertainment value of the NHL, for me at least, is absolutely terrible. I used to watch at least a game per night despite living in Sweden. Haven't watched a whole period since before xmas. Just boooooooooooring "hockey".

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:20 AM
missingjibbsclub

Agreed. Goalies pretty much just throw on the giant pillows and stop the majority of shots just by standing there. Doesn't require any talent.

missingjibbsclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:24 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

I will agree with you in some aspect. the trap is starting to slowly become the norm which is suffocating the flow. the players are getting so good and balanced something has to give. ie smaller equipment. slightly larger nets. wider ice? still live the game but I feel there does need to be a change.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Love

The solution to this has been beaten to death:

CALL THE GAME LIKE IT IS WRITTEN IN THE RULE BOOK.

It changes everything. People say "Well that's just more PPs!" Well no, it's not. At first it is, until the players learn how to play properly. Then it is not necessarily more PPs but a more open, free flowing game void of constant, uncalled interference.

Making the goalie pads smaller is also necessary, but that isn't something that changes the flow of the game when you're watching. It's just unnecessary to have equipment that is for puck stopping rather than protecting the keeper.

Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:26 AM
MDCSL

Completely agree, they need to drastically reduce the size of goalie equipment. But then they also need to get serious about protecting the goalies' crease and keep players out of there

MDCSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:27 AM
StupendousFlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
I will agree with you in some aspect. the trap is starting to slowly become the norm which is suffocating the flow. the players are getting so good and balanced something has to give. ie smaller equipment. slightly larger nets. wider ice? still live the game but I feel there does need to be a change.
This as well. I also still enjoy the product, but I feel there is something to be changed to make it flow smoother. Namely obstruction and size of goalie equipment.

StupendousFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post

It changes everything. People say "Well that's just more PPs!" Well no, it's not. At first it is, until the players learn how to play properly. Then it is not necessarily more PPs but a more open, free flowing game void of constant, uncalled interference.

Making the goalie pads smaller is also necessary, but that isn't something that changes the flow of the game when you're watching. It's just unnecessary to have equipment that is for puck stopping rather than protecting the keeper.
This is pretty much the solution. NHL doesn't want to do it because they don't want to deal with the transitional year where penalties skyrocket but it's just something that needs to be done.

Diamondillium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:

People will just complain about more PPs like you said.

Just make the nets bigger and be done with it.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:33 AM
Lari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
This will be the second season in three where the Art Ross will go to a player with less than 100 points. In fact, in the last three years only Patrick Kane has cracked the 90 point barrier with 106 points.

It's almost a mathematical certainty that no player will hit the century mark this season; in fact only two players may hit 90 points.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm no longer planning on shelling out 120$ to watch sucky players hook, hold, and "check." Additionally, I don't want to watch Michelin men tend goal and have the same save percentage as the all-time greats who wore glorified shin pads.

It's very simple, the goalies will NEVER agree to a reduction of their equipment to significant levels. You have to make the the nets 6x5. It's that simple and it needs to be that much. Butterflying at the top of the crease should not cover 92% of the net. If you want to make a save you need to work for it more.

A perfect shot should beat a perfect position-at least in the blue paint. I want to see goalies have to gamble with math rather than just sit there. How can you collapse when a wrister from the top of the circles goes in again?

It would change the entire dynamic of the league.

Stop with these half measures. No one wants to see scrubs. No one wants to see sucky players block shots and be "brave."

I want goals, hits and fights. Make hockey, hockey again.
****in' A!

I want my hockey back, too.

Though you messed up the slogan. It's got to be "MAKE HOCKEY GREAT AGAIN"

Lari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:36 AM
Headshot77
Bad Photoshopper

vCash: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
People will just complain about more PPs like you said.

Just make the nets bigger and be done with it.
I'm a proponent of bigger nets but it would cause a MASSSIVE ****storm, most fans won't even notice if more penalties are called

Headshot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:38 AM
KirkAlbuquerque

look out , all the "true believers" are going to come to this thread and say youre not a true hockey fan if you dont love this boring low scoring ****.

KirkAlbuquerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:39 AM
illpucks

Jinx thread? I mean we all know Sid is getting 20 in 10 and 100 in 76. Don't we?

illpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:49 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot77 View Post
I'm a proponent of bigger nets but it would cause a MASSSIVE ****storm, most fans won't even notice if more penalties are called
Let them whine. It's not about them, its about the casual fan. I would rather McDavid score 140 pts and hear whining than this continue. I remember when they would call penalties all the time 10 years ago. Your right, but who cares about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkAlbuquerque View Post
look out , all the "true believers" are going to come to this thread and say youre not a true hockey fan if you dont love this boring low scoring ****.
Tell it.

Old
03-20-2017, 10:51 AM
Richard

vCash: 145
If goals such as this go in again, you cannot collapse.

I agree time and space is also an issue, but in my opinion it is a very secondary concern. The biggest issue is goalie pads.

Specifically, shoulder pad size and leg pad weight and shape. Pads are made to turn and form covering the five hole.

I don't want to try and "fix" the padding. Add another foot to the goal and you will have a much more entertaining game. Man on man defense will be implemented again. You cannot let a high slot shot be taken again.

The game, as always, flows from the goal outward.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:59 AM
CelticPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectify View Post
Then don't spend the money or watch the sport. Plenty of other options out there.
Why wouldn't you want people to spend money on the league you love and support? What kind of response is this, seriously, what are these plenty of other options? AHL, Liga, KHL, CHL? None of those are true alternatives to the NHL. Who would honestly rather watch regular season games today, over a reg season game in the 90s?

CelticPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:01 AM
Yeti of the Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkAlbuquerque View Post
Nobody has said low scoring is the only true hockey. It's refuting that hockey is only good when scoring is high.

Yeti of the Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:02 AM
Keithsteeth

Quote:

Yep - stricter enforcement of rules would solve most perceived scoring problems. We actually know this to be true since they've done it before and it worked.

The key is that they have to inform all the teams before the start of the season and then consistently call things more strictly during the pre-season and regular season and especially the post season.

At first you will definitely see a lot more PPs, but after that the players and coaches will adjust.

Keithsteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:07 AM
Doshell Propivo

Make the nets bigger. Maybe the pads smaller. Make the ice bigger. Make the lines wider. Take out the lines. Put the lines back in. Move the nets. Change the dimensions of the crease. Make the puck glow on TV. Shootouts! 4 on 4, 3 on 3! Make the puck smaller. Introduce instant replay! Take out instant replay!

My god how much artificial manipulation do you people want?? Tweaks are fine but let the game evolve organically. If you think "it sucks" or "is boring" then shut the hell up and do something else with your life instead of whining about it on a hockey message board.

The game is great. Of course it is different now than it was a generation ago (and a generation before that) but in many ways it is the same. It is not "broken" so please stop trying to fix it.

Can't wait for the playoffs when the geniuses start the ridiculous "Worst playoffs evah!!" posts.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:07 AM
DJJones

I honestly think some people would be happy to go back to 4th lines getting 6 minutes a game and still getting scored on once a game. Either that or have 8 powerplays a night.

Calgary's offense has never looked better and we will probably only have Gaudreau crack 60 points. I think moving to three scoring lines instead of two has been great.

If you don't have three scoring lines or some offensive defense your team is going to get game planned against. That's what happens when we removed the plugs from the game and 1st lines can't dominate bad matchups.

DJJones is offline   Reply With Quote