HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Two out of three years Art Ross goes to a player with less than 100 points

Old
03-20-2017, 11:07 AM
Turd Ferguson
Its a funny name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
This will be the second season in three where the Art Ross will go to a player with less than 100 points. In fact, in the last three years only Patrick Kane has cracked the 90 point barrier with 106 points.

It's almost a mathematical certainty that no player will hit the century mark this season; in fact only two players may hit 90 points.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm no longer planning on shelling out 120$ to watch sucky players hook, hold, and "check." Additionally, I don't want to watch Michelin men tend goal and have the same save percentage as the all-time greats who wore glorified shin pads.

It's very simple, the goalies will NEVER agree to a reduction of their equipment to significant levels. You have to make the the nets 6x5. It's that simple and it needs to be that much. Butterflying at the top of the crease should not cover 92% of the net. If you want to make a save you need to work for it more.

A perfect shot should beat a perfect position-at least in the blue paint. I want to see goalies have to gamble with math rather than just sit there. How can you collapse when a wrister from the top of the circles goes in again?

It would change the entire dynamic of the league.

Stop with these half measures. No one wants to see scrubs. No one wants to see sucky players block shots and be "brave."

I want goals, hits and fights. Make hockey, hockey again.
Math is illegal in Vegas gambling already, how will the golden knight goalies get away with it?

Turd Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:11 AM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkAlbuquerque View Post
look out , all the "true believers" are going to come to this thread and say youre not a true hockey fan if you dont love this boring low scoring ****.
I don't know what a "true" hockey fan is but I do know that the NHL has the highest caliber of hockey in the world. And is super exciting. Especially in the playoffs.

If you think it is "boring low scoring ****" then I'm sure you'll be more entertained by something else. Pretty simple really.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:14 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingjibbsclub View Post
Agreed. Goalies pretty much just throw on the giant pillows and stop the majority of shots just by standing there. Doesn't require any talent.
On the flip side, did it take a ton of talent to score back in the 80's? Shooters just had to throw the puck on net and watch a goalie flop around.

We can see in 3v3 OT that the goalie pads aren't necessarily too big, and the posts aren't necessarily too small. What has to be done is to unclog the middle. Bigger ice doesn't necessarily do that, as that just increases the amount of ice on the outside. Either take players off the ice as a rule, or make rules that open up the middle with the same 10 players. Could make goalie equipment smaller, but that might make coaches even more conservative, and it wouldn't be fair unless you made skater equipment smaller too. These guys can go out there and block shots all day long with their better pads.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:16 AM
Keithsteeth

Low scoring games are not necessarily boring. What is boring is low scoring games without a lot of back/forth action. I mean, does anyone like games without a lot of scoring chances where the puck spends a lot of time in the neutral zone?

Keithsteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Not My Tempo

I actually think the biggest problem is the skaters shot blocking. Obviously I'm all for player safety, but the way pads are nowadays, unless you get hit in a place with no padding, blocking a shot won't hurt too much. It used to be a big decision, do I block this shot and save a goal but potentially get injured? Now pretty much everyone can block a shot.

Not My Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:20 AM
LeafsLegendAkiBerg
The original great 8

I've heard that there's a sport called basketball where teams often score 100 points in a single game.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:22 AM
Weast
Ryan O'Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingjibbsclub View Post
Agreed. Goalies pretty much just throw on the giant pillows and stop the majority of shots just by standing there. Doesn't require any talent.
You could throw any guy in a net with modern day equipment and s/he will stop 75% of shots easily, but to get to a 90%+ save percentage takes tremendous skill.

Weast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

Less PP's. Better systems play every year. Every player that gets put in defensive situations is an expert on shot blocking now.

Even when Kane broke 100, he was getting crazy amounts of offensive zone starts (67% 5v5, and 80% when out with Panarin). Not all coaches want to bend over backwards giving their top guys that kind of ice time because it can come at the cost of your 2nd line guys being able to get going offensively. But it might take that now to get a guy to 100.

oobga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
kingsholygrail
that dog won't hunt

Every goal counts as 3pts. Assists count as 2pts.

Solved the problem.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:28 AM
chokei

I see where the sentiment is coming from, but people are a bit too fixated on the pure numbers. 100 is a magical number, but does it really influence the enjoyment of a whole season?

An increase in ppg for Crosby and McDavid, so that they can reach 100pts over a full season would mean around 1 more point scored every 10-12 games; or with ~3 games per week 1 more point every month. Who cares if Crosby and McDavid score 1 more point every month? Do you really dislike the game of hockey because of this?

chokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Lari

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsLegendAkiBerg View Post
I've heard that there's a sport called basketball where teams often score 100 points in a single game.
Now if they just modified the game to make it full contact and with bareknuckle fights. And they should play it on ice to make it faster. And use sticks instead of hands to make it more challenging.

In theory, even basketball could be exciting.

Lari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Luigi Lemieux

100 points has become a pretty special standard now. Only 3 players have hit this mark in the past 5 years, Crosby, Malkin, and Kane. I imagine Mcdavid will get there next year.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Lari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
I imagine Mcdavid will get there next year.
Or he might never get there because the game is the way it is. 70 points is the new 100 points.

Old
03-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsLegendAkiBerg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lari View Post
Now if they just modified the game to make it full contact and with bareknuckle fights. And they should play it on ice to make it faster. And use sticks instead of hands to make it more challenging.

In theory, even basketball could be exciting.
Hockey gets less ratings then Family Guy reruns.

Looks like the diehards are wrong here.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 12:08 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post

Hockey's ratings aren't great, and they always have been low. Hockey is just not too popular as a whole in USA. It got beat out by similar things when it was in it's 'prime' of the 80s/90s as well.

A ratings argument only works if it's dropped a significant amount in correlation with whatever you're trying to argue.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 12:08 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJones View Post
I honestly think some people would be happy to go back to 4th lines getting 6 minutes a game and still getting scored on once a game. Either that or have 8 powerplays a night.

Calgary's offense has never looked better and we will probably only have Gaudreau crack 60 points. I think moving to three scoring lines instead of two has been great.

If you don't have three scoring lines or some offensive defense your team is going to get game planned against. That's what happens when we removed the plugs from the game and 1st lines can't dominate bad matchups.
People pay to see goals and fights. Not "systems".

Old
03-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
And they always have been. Hockey is just not too popular as a whole. It got beat out by similar things when it was in it's 'prime' of the 80s/90s as well.

A ratings argument only works if it's dropped a significant amount in correlation with whatever you're trying to argue.
Hockey was way more popular in the early 1990s then it is now. I doubt casuals can name anyone other then crosby as an elite player at this point.

Old
03-20-2017, 12:11 PM
Chris McKinlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
The solution to this has been beaten to death:

CALL THE GAME LIKE IT IS WRITTEN IN THE RULE BOOK.

It changes everything. People say "Well that's just more PPs!" Well no, it's not. At first it is, until the players learn how to play properly. Then it is not necessarily more PPs but a more open, free flowing game void of constant, uncalled interference.

Making the goalie pads smaller is also necessary, but that isn't something that changes the flow of the game when you're watching. It's just unnecessary to have equipment that is for puck stopping rather than protecting the keeper.
I feel like the NHL made a conscious decision to revert back to clutch and grab hockey to protect their players. I seem to remember there being a lot more injuries when players were able to fly through the neutral zone at high speeds. I'm just going by memory, but I remember there being higher incidences of groin injuries and concussions over that span.

Maybe that played into things? That's the only thing I can think of, because I can't think of any other logical reason to allow clutch and grab hockey back.

Chris McKinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 12:18 PM
LeafsLegendAkiBerg
The original great 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post

Well then maybe what the NHL needs is more fart jokes and cutaways to movie scenes from the 80s

Old
03-20-2017, 12:33 PM
KnoccOut

Its not the scoring.. its not entertaining anymore... very boring

The skills players need to able show their magic.. thats all its about for me.. i wanna see talent doing what they can.. not some grinder dumping the puck in all game.

If they dont fix the problem we're gonna miss out on McDavid doing possibly stuff that we've never seen before.. he's already great but imagine with some space

KnoccOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 12:40 PM
Wheatking

What are the concussion statistics over the last few years? I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL purposely wanted to show the game down (by letting more hooking and grabbing go) for safety reasons.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 12:46 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McKinlay View Post
I feel like the NHL made a conscious decision to revert back to clutch and grab hockey to protect their players. I seem to remember there being a lot more injuries when players were able to fly through the neutral zone at high speeds. I'm just going by memory, but I remember there being higher incidences of groin injuries and concussions over that span.

Maybe that played into things? That's the only thing I can think of, because I can't think of any other logical reason to allow clutch and grab hockey back.
Concussions from open ice hits and injuries related to hits on defencemen by players flying in on the forecheck are the two areas that was really noticed. However, there have been several other adjustments to limit dangerous open ice hits. I'd argue the forechecking hits could be controlled with a generous interpretation of what is considered a charge (obviously let teams know that flying in for a hit on the forecheck will be a charge every time).

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 12:47 PM
LeafsLegendAkiBerg
The original great 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
What are the concussion statistics over the last few years? I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL purposely wanted to show the game down (by letting more hooking and grabbing go) for safety reasons.
I don't think that's it. If the league was actually concerned about concussions you'd see a strict crackdown on headshots, blindside hits and fighting.

I honestly think it's just that coaches try to get away with more and more. Refs can't call a hundred penalties a game because fans would lose their ****, coaches know that and abuse. Refs are letting more things go so coaches abuse it even more.

If the league was super strict on hooking/holding, the front page here would be flooded with threads complaining about how incompetent the refs are and how the games are being ruined.

Old
03-20-2017, 12:48 PM
Lari

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoccOut View Post
Its not the scoring.. its not entertaining anymore... very boring

The skills players need to able show their magic.. thats all its about for me.. i wanna see talent doing what they can.. n
Yup. I used to be able to watch any two NHL teams play a game. Now I'm only watching if I'm emotionally interested in the success of one team.

It used to be entertaining to watch two random teams play. The game was exciting. Star players scored, defensemen hit hard, goalies made big saves (instead of covering the net and standing in front of pucks). And even if it was getting to be a blowout, you could still count on a fisticuff or two.

Now I only watch because those exciting times in the late 80's/early 90's molded me into liking and being loyal to "my" team. It's like permanent brain damage. The game gets worse, but I still like and support the team and will continue to do so. I don't know how current young generations can tolerate the product on the ice, if they don't have that kind of attachment yet.

Old
03-20-2017, 12:58 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
As much was said in those leaked e-mails a while back. Think it was conversations between Campbell and McKenzie where Campbell was complaining about how not being able to slow guys down with any kind of obstruction through the neutral zone had lead to players trying to throw more hits in the open ice. Which leads to more poorly timed hits and hits where you are extending to try to get pieces of guys which inevitably was leading to more dangerous hits.

I do think the league has intentionally slowed the game down as part of the overall attempt to reduce head injuries. And really, it's all been pretty successful. For player brains at least

oobga is online now   Reply With Quote