HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Two out of three years Art Ross goes to a player with less than 100 points

Old
03-20-2017, 12:58 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
What are the concussion statistics over the last few years? I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL purposely wanted to show the game down (by letting more hooking and grabbing go) for safety reasons.
As much was said in those leaked e-mails a while back. Think it was conversations between Campbell and McKenzie where Campbell was complaining about how not being able to slow guys down with any kind of obstruction through the neutral zone had lead to players trying to throw more hits in the open ice. Which leads to more poorly timed hits and hits where you are extending to try to get pieces of guys which inevitably was leading to more dangerous hits.

I do think the league has intentionally slowed the game down as part of the overall attempt to reduce head injuries. And really, it's all been pretty successful. For player brains at least

oobga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:13 PM
St8Sh00ter

vCash: 500
The materials used in today's game are far more advanced. They are smaller and more light weight than ever. There is no reason today's goalies can't wear smaller pads despite the advances in sticks and still be properly protected. To many games become a goalie show down especially in the playoffs. This is a team game not a game of goalie. To many nights the dominate team losses because of the efforts of a single player. Shrink the pads leave the net alone. jmho.

St8Sh00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:15 PM
cbzblaze

vCash: 545
I think making the nets bigger isn't fair to the smaller goalies in the league and would only encourage teams to have bigger goalies. What the league really needs to do is cut down the extra blocking parts of the equipment. That wrist area on the glove is made purely to block pucks. More and more goalies glove hands are weaker now because they don't really have to catch anything anymore. Goaltending now is all about proper positioning and letting the puck hit you.

cbzblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:15 PM
DJJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
People pay to see goals and fights. Not "systems".
The idea of 30 teams playing like the Leafs sounds terrible to me.

DJJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Lari

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJones View Post
The idea of 30 teams playing like the Leafs sounds terrible to me.
Good thing there's gonna be 31 teams then.

Lari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:06 PM
KnoccOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lari View Post
Yup. I used to be able to watch any two NHL teams play a game. Now I'm only watching if I'm emotionally interested in the success of one team.

It used to be entertaining to watch two random teams play. The game was exciting. Star players scored, defensemen hit hard, goalies made big saves (instead of covering the net and standing in front of pucks). And even if it was getting to be a blowout, you could still count on a fisticuff or two.

Now I only watch because those exciting times in the late 80's/early 90's molded me into liking and being loyal to "my" team. It's like permanent brain damage. The game gets worse, but I still like and support the team and will continue to do so. I don't know how current young generations can tolerate the product on the ice, if they don't have that kind of attachment yet.

Exactly .. winning or losing is good but i rather watch a good product..

KnoccOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:20 PM
Richard

vCash: 1145
The issue isn't just the AMOUNT of scoring, it is HOW one scores. The shot from the high slot unscreended doesn't go in anymore. If the best shooters can score again from the outside you will see a much different, and better, game.

You can't collapse downlow if the midrange shots are now going in consistently.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Weastern Bias
Patrick Starleau

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsLegendAkiBerg View Post
Well then maybe what the NHL needs is more fart jokes and cutaways to movie scenes from the 80s
NHL reffing is a fart joke on a good night

Weastern Bias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:39 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

The defensive systems are too stifiling and restrictive these days, and everyone shot blocks now. I'm just not sure what you do about it.

Central PA Hawk Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:44 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

The day referees will be asked to call the game instead of managing the game is the day the NHL product will improve tenfold.

We're back to the dead puck era, and this is in large part due to the referees having the leeway to decide when it is fine or not to just "let the guys play". Absolutely ridiculous, as far as I'm concerned. Revise the rule book if you have to, but we need to stop with all the gray area and leaving things up to the referees' judgement.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 02:52 PM
DJJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
The day referees will be asked to call the game instead of managing the game is the day the NHL product will improve tenfold.

We're back to the dead puck era, and this is in large part due to the referees having the leeway to decide when it is fine or not to just "let the guys play". Absolutely ridiculous, as far as I'm concerned. Revise the rule book if you have to, but we need to stop with all the gray area and leaving things up to the referees' judgement.
I'll agree with this. I swear I can sense when a penalty is going to be called. The rule book is so subjective that they could call a penalty every minute but they choose not too. But as soon as the game is going to get out of hand the teams all of a sudden commit penalties.

Only penalties that are called consistently are high sticks, tripping, and delay of games. Which annoys me since they are almost always by accident.

Old
03-20-2017, 02:56 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

Quote:
I'll agree with this. I swear I can sense when a penalty is going to be called. The rule book is so subjective that they could call a penalty every minute but they choose not too. But as soon as the game is going to get out of hand the teams all of a sudden commit penalties.

Only penalties that are called consistently are high sticks, tripping, and delay of games. Which annoys me since they are almost always by accident.
Exactly.

Refs also tend to balance out penalty minutes. You just know after your team gets two calls their way in the 1st, there will be two call against them at some point down the line. Which is non sense. In an attempt to look as unbiased and impartial as possible, the refs end up doing the exact opposite.

Old
03-20-2017, 02:58 PM
Richard

vCash: 1145
Quote:
Exactly.

Refs also tend to balance out penalty minutes. You just know after your team gets two calls their way in the 1st, there will be two call against them at some point down the line. Which is non sense. In an attempt to look as unbiased and impartial as possible, the refs end up doing the exact opposite.
I also consider the refs to be a secondary concern: it does not affect the type of goals scored. I want a wrister from the top of the circles to go in consistently again in the slot.

That would change the game

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:02 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
The solution to this has been beaten to death:

CALL THE GAME LIKE IT IS WRITTEN IN THE RULE BOOK.

It changes everything. People say "Well that's just more PPs!" Well no, it's not. At first it is, until the players learn how to play properly. Then it is not necessarily more PPs but a more open, free flowing game void of constant, uncalled interference.

Making the goalie pads smaller is also necessary, but that isn't something that changes the flow of the game when you're watching. It's just unnecessary to have equipment that is for puck stopping rather than protecting the keeper.
This. End thread/

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:02 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I also consider the refs to be a secondary concern: it does not affect the type of goals scored. I want a wrister from the top of the circles to go in consistently again in the slot.

You want goalies to get worse?

That's just not going to happen. And I don't think having long range shots going in more consistently would actually improve the game. The main issue with the game nowadays is its flow. A good way to improve in that regard would be to seriously limit hooking and interference. Having long range shots go in more often would give us more high scoring games, without actually addressing the real issue.

Old
03-20-2017, 03:03 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central PA Hawk Fan View Post
The defensive systems are too stifiling and restrictive these days, and everyone shot blocks now. I'm just not sure what you do about it.
They discussed not allowing players to leave their skates to block shots at the GM meetings. Nothing will probably come of it because it makes too much sense, but it would at least get rid of a few blocks here and there. I don't know about anyone else but I'd have to rank a randomly blocked shot fairly low on my list of exciting hockey plays.
(PS: Shout out to the guy who told me this was a terrible idea when I brought it up literally hours before they said the GMs discussed it).

The other thing they could do is no only get more strict with penalties, but tighten up the calls so much that it's a penalty-fest at first, but eventually results in players being too afraid to clutch and grab at all. In the long term it could pay off about 20 games into the season.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:06 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
They discussed not allowing players to leave their skates to block shots at the GM meetings. Nothing will probably come of it because it makes too much sense, but it would at least get rid of a few blocks here and there. I don't know about anyone else but I'd have to rank a randomly blocked shot fairly low on my list of exciting hockey plays.
(PS: Shout out to the guy who told me this was a terrible idea when I brought it up literally hours before they said the GMs discussed it).

The other thing they could do is no only get more strict with penalties, but tighten up the calls so much that it's a penalty-fest at first, but eventually results in players being too afraid to clutch and grab at all. In the long term it could pay off about 20 games into the season.
That's what they did coming back from the 05-06 lockout. The NHL gradually reverted back to their old ways.

Old
03-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Dominic Roussel

vCash: 970
Want to make the game more exciting, just give everyone the Stars defense and goaltending and every game will be 7-6, lol.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:08 PM
DJJones

I hated the games back then. Way too many penalties and the players didn't change, the refs grew more lenient.

More PPs does nothing for me.

Old
03-20-2017, 03:09 PM
LeafsLegendAkiBerg
The original great 8

I'm down with the idea of strictly enforcing the rule book, but fans are going to lose their **** over it. Unfortunately, a lot of fans are simply blind to the fact that their own team is just as guilty as any other team when it comes to infractions and this board would be flooded with (even more) threads complaining about how incompetent the refs are. It's kind of a lose/lose situation. Refs are letting things go, they're not calling the game right. Refs are super strict, how could they call that penalty against my team?

LeafsLegendAkiBerg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:13 PM
DJJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsLegendAkiBerg View Post
I'm down with the idea of strictly enforcing the rule book, but fans are going to lose their **** over it. Unfortunately, a lot of fans are simply blind to the fact that their own team is just as guilty as any other team when it comes to infractions and this board would be flooded with (even more) threads complaining about how incompetent the refs are. It's kind of a lose/lose situation. Refs are letting things go, they're not calling the game right. Refs are super strict, how could they call that penalty against my team?
Yep that's what happened to me. They called holdings more but then my tolerance went down as to what I think is a penalty. It made the reffing feel even more inconsistent. Game managing and star protection was even worse.

Started to think like a soccer fan haha. If anything happened to my team I would think it's a penalty.

I'm much happier now that I only think a penalty should be called when something is egregious or takes away a scoring chance. I even think most of the penalties against the Flames are pretty weak now. It's a game of will to put the puck in the other guys net. Penalties are just there for player protection and take away cheap lazy tactics. A momentary hook or grab isn't outrageous to me.

Old
03-20-2017, 03:19 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Then tell the shooters to get better at making that shot consistently. Only reason the NBA got higher scoring is because players got better at shooting the three and are shooting it more often.

Also, goals scored per game is higher than last year. The fact that 3rd and 4th liners are actually good hockey players means more balanced scoring.

Next season when we have this crop of young players being even better, it won't be an issue. McDavid will likely crack 100 in the next couple of seasons. Laine, Ehlers, Matthews, Marner, etc. will score more.

This is very much a transitional period where the previous top scorers are trending down and there is a new crop of players trending up that will be taking their place.

mrjimmyg89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:20 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

Quote:
Yep that's what happened to me. They called holdings more but then my tolerance went down as to what I think is a penalty. It made the reffing feel even more inconsistent. Game managing and star protection was even worse.

Started to think like a soccer fan haha. If anything happened to my team I would think it's a penalty.

I'm much happier now that I only think a penalty should be called when something is egregious or takes away a scoring chance. I even think most of the penalties against the Flames are pretty weak now.
I agree with the first part, completely disagree with the "takes away a scoring chance" part, because that's exactly what managing the game means. Making opportune call at opportune times to shift the balance, instead of calling it the way it is.

As far as having a distaste for calling too many penalties, that's fine in and on itself. As I said before, the NHL could revise the rulebook, clearly define what each penalties stand for, but from that point on, you just call the rule book. You don't adapt to the situation.

Old
03-20-2017, 03:24 PM
Empoleon8771
Kunitz Was There

Just like other people have said, call penalties like the rule book says they should be called and the league will be fine. It will make clutching and grabbing go down and will increase the amount of PPs and PP goals. All of these other suggestions, like making it illegal to block shots or making the goalies unsafe by getting rid of their equipment, are dumb compared to just calling the game the way it should be called.

The only proposed rule change I've heard that I like is not letting players out of the box on 2 minute powerplays if a goal is scored. Same as it is with a 5 minute major, a guy in the penalty box stays in the box for the entire two minutes regardless of whether the other team scores or not.

Empoleon8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 03:25 PM
DJJones

Quote:
I agree with the first part, completely disagree with the "takes away a scoring chance" part, because that's exactly what managing the game means. Making opportune call at opportune times to shift the balance, instead of calling it the way it is.

As far as having a distaste for calling too many penalties, that's fine in and on itself. As I said before, the NHL could revise the rulebook, clearly define what each penalties stand for, but from that point on, you just call the rule book. You don't adapt to the situation.
Refs are humans. Might work in the future when we have a supercomputer AI running things but I don't think it'll work like that.