HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Sir Sheamus Weber (Man Mountain PhD edition)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2017, 03:36 PM
  #26
Akhurite
Registered User
 
Akhurite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Toronto,ON
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
People really expect him to throw 4-5 big hits a game? He doesn't hit much because he's smart doesn't want to get out of position.

Also, his vision and offensive skills are underrated, the only thing I think he's weak at is carrying the puck

Akhurite is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 03:42 PM
  #27
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 23,947
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhurite View Post
People really expect him to throw 4-5 big hits a game? He doesn't hit much because he's smart doesn't want to get out of position.

Also, his vision and offensive skills are underrated, the only thing I think he's weak at is carrying the puck
I think it's right that he doesn't take himself out of position or tire himself out with big hits all the time. Very smart. Can we scratch that off his hockey card now? Why is he called a big bruising man mountain when he doesn't do that at all?

And the game of hockey requires puck skills, especially the modern game, especially with the trap and defenses with giant goons standing stiff, especially when you play 30min a night and get more than 10% of the entire cap ceiling. Being "weak" with the puck is a huge huge detriment. And he hasn't displayed much or any passing or offensive skills at all, really.

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 03:46 PM
  #28
Toene
"Che" Weber
 
Toene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhurite View Post
People really expect him to throw 4-5 big hits a game? He doesn't hit much because he's smart doesn't want to get out of position.

Also, his vision and offensive skills are underrated, the only thing I think he's weak at is carrying the puck
He's pretty poor at making passes. At a 7.8 million dollars cap hit you have to expect a d-man to be able to QB his team's breakout. Yet we still rely on geriatric Markov and inconsistent Petry to do it. He simply needs to do more. As LG said, he's overrated. Doesnt mean he isnt great. But he cant be THE guy on defense. He's essentially the perfect #2 D, as his skill set complements one of a 1D very well. He can finish set-ups with his powerful shots, can cover his partner if he pinches, etc. But he cant create and organize a five-man unit break-out. And that's what defines a top defenseman, imo.

Toene is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 03:46 PM
  #29
Belial
Registered User
 
Belial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,608
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhurite View Post
People really expect him to throw 4-5 big hits a game? He doesn't hit much because he's smart doesn't want to get out of position.

Also, his vision and offensive skills are underrated, the only thing I think he's weak at is carrying the puck
Mark Borowiecki leads the league in hits! Did you saw that stud out there last night? Amazing player!

Belial is online now  
Old
03-20-2017, 03:50 PM
  #30
DangerDave
Leptit prince et moi
 
DangerDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: T.O
Country: Japan
Posts: 3,733
vCash: 500
Funny. First people were saying he has bad advanced stats. Now he doesn't hit enough.

Weber's been a rock back there despite having Emelin fall off a cliff. The team as a whole struggled after his "hot start" but ever since the coaching change he's been great. If you don't like the way he plays then that's fine but it's effective regardless.

DangerDave is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 03:53 PM
  #31
76ftw
24
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 10,912
vCash: 2307
They should ask "is Shea Weber a number 1 dman" when registering for Hf boards and if you say no they don't let you. Of course he's a number 1 dman! Come on.

76ftw is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 04:03 PM
  #32
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice
 
Habs Icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
...Shea Weber didn't prove himself to be a #1 D-Men?

That's probably the absolute dumbest thing ever written here, and the kind of stuff that brings the overall level of these boards down, because the only possibly reply to nonsense is nonsense.

In fact, the post is so dumb that it's probably evidence, in and of itself, that Shea Weber established himself as a #1, because whenever someone writes something that is that off-the-mark, the only conclusion to be made is that the facts must be the total opposite of the opinion expressed in the post.
I hope you realize you're responding to a poster who admitted to watching maybe 20 games this year and has just declared with certainty that Weber has played 35 brutal games. He is either very poor at simple arithmetic or very determined to prove some point he made in the summer.

Habs Icing is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 04:32 PM
  #33
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 29,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Icing View Post
I hope you realize you're responding to a poster who admitted to watching maybe 20 games this year and has just declared with certainty that Weber has played 35 brutal games. He is either very poor at simple arithmetic or very determined to prove some point he made in the summer.
You get the chicken dinner (bolded). The current misleading exaggeration (underlined) is just the most recent among many that can be summarily discarded/disregarded.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 04:32 PM
  #34
Kenny Powders
Registered User
 
Kenny Powders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,806
vCash: 1000
I'm willing to bet almost anything that Weber isnt hitting as much because JJD tells h8s defenseman to not get caught out of position by hitting a player

Kenny Powders is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 04:35 PM
  #35
scrubadam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 7,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
I'm willing to bet almost anything that Weber isnt hitting as much because JJD tells h8s defenseman to not get caught out of position by hitting a player
Hitting seems to be somewhat down in the league anyways or just the feeling I am getting.

I think players are policing themselves in the sense that they don't want to concuse or injury other players, Respect maybe has creeped back into the game a bit. There are still the dirty hits of course but overall it just feels like some of the crazy intensity has been taken down a notch.

Fighting is practically eliminated and with fewer and fewer goons, there are fewer players that will just lay the body.

scrubadam is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 04:40 PM
  #36
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 29,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
I'm willing to bet almost anything that Weber isnt hitting as much because JJD tells h8s defenseman to not get caught out of position by hitting a player
Shea Weber does not need JJD to tell him things like this, lol. No one can play 25+ minutes every night for a full season running around hitting for hitting's sake. No one. Do your job, pick your spots. It's that simple. And it's not like he doesn't get credit for a couple every game on average anyhow. I'm more interested in his 151 blocked shots and 1.5 GA/60 ES than his 132 hits anyway.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 04:41 PM
  #37
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 23,947
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
You get the chicken dinner (bolded). The current misleading exaggeration (underlined) is just the most recent among many that can be summarily discarded/disregarded.
In December Weber had 3 points in 14 games, -2. In January he had 11 points in 15 games, +3 (but 7 points in 5 games, 4 points in 10 games). In February he had 6 points in 13 games, -10.
Essentially he was cold from the 29th of November until he didn't help his coach not get fired, the 18th of February.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/gamel...278/shea-weber

I won't be convinced that a guy who can't pass or make plays is a #1. Not after seeing him in action.

Btw Habs Icing, I catch 1 game live a week and keep up with extended highlights, etc daily. Try not to bring my personal life and where I live into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Shea Weber does not need JJD to tell him things like this, lol. No one can play 25+ minutes every night for a full season running around hitting for hitting's sake. No one. Do your job, pick your spots. It's that simple. And it's not like he doesn't get credit for a couple every game on average anyhow. I'm more interested in his 151 blocked shots and 1.5 GA/60 ES than his 132 hits anyway.
Playing in front of Price who has a top5 ES Sv% sure helps.

Agreed about the hitting, it's inefficient, but I think we should strike his unearned, baseless nickname from his record. He's not a big hitter because he doesn't hit big. End of story.

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 04:42 PM
  #38
Hackett
BAKAMAN
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,304
vCash: 500
Weber is playing better of late. I don't really see him fumbling the puck as much, and his passes seem to be more on point. His hitting game has tapered off for a long time now. The only time I really see him lay monster hits these days is if the hits come to him ie. Sedin.

I was really hoping that Lekhonen would finish the cross ice pass from Weber last night. Its the type of vision I've seen from weber in the past, but he actually executed it really well this time, which goes back to my original point that his passes seem to be more on point lately. Part of it could also be that he's not forcing passes that he isn't as comfortable with now that he has a partner like Markov who he can defer to. However, the fact that the habs still need to use markov in top pairing minutes is a problem in itself.

Hackett is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 04:45 PM
  #39
deandebean
Registered User
 
deandebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau
Country: uriname
Posts: 15,423
vCash: 500
He might be less efficient than advertised. Normal because the hype is immense.

But he will be voted into the HOF. No doubt. Anglo canadian members of the HOF love this guy. He's the prototypical canadian hockey player.

And it's not a popularity contest anyways. Amongst his peers he's considered elite.

deandebean is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 04:53 PM
  #40
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 29,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
In December Weber had 3 points in 14 games, -2. In January he had 11 points in 15 games, +3 (but 7 points in 5 games, 4 points in 10 games). In February he had 6 points in 13 games, -10.
Essentially he was cold from the 29th of November until he didn't help his coach not get fired, the 18th of February.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/gamel...278/shea-weber

I won't be convinced that a guy who can't pass or make plays is a #1. Not after seeing him in action.
Holding down the biggest role with by far the most minutes on a winning/1st place team would good enough for anyone else, let alone also being the leading scoring defenseman on the team on top of that. But you place your goal posts wherever you need to. He's as #1 as they come, even if you much prefer a different flavour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Playing in front of Price who has a top5 ES Sv% sure helps.
It's nice for Price, too, who, as I've shown you before, actually has a lower SV% overall than when Weber, specifically, is on the ice. What is it now, 94.7% vs 93.8? I think that works out to being worth an ES goal against difference every 3 games or so that Weber improves Price's ES stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Agreed about the hitting, it's inefficient, but I think we should strike his unearned, baseless nickname from his record. He's not a big hitter because he doesn't hit big. End of story.
He does everything big. Part of being a Man Mountain. End of story.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 04:58 PM
  #41
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 23,947
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Holding down the biggest role with by far the most minutes on a winning/1st place team would good enough for anyone else, let alone also being the leading scoring defenseman on the team on top of that. But you place your goal posts wherever you need to. He's as #1 as they come, even if you much prefer a different flavour.
He doesn't generate offense and his PPG isn't high enough.

Quote:
It's nice for Price, too, who, as I've shown you before, actually has a lower SV% overall than when Weber, specifically, is on the ice. What is it now, 94.7% vs 93.8? I think that works out to being worth an ES goal against difference every 3 games or so that Weber improves Price's ES stats.
Interesting stat, that's for sure.

Quote:
He does everything big. Part of being a Man Mountain. End of story.
Even shatters his franchise and signs the biggest offersheet ever big. With fat big 14m dollar checks every year. Man of character he is. Doesn't hit big, pass big, or play big in the playoffs though. End of story.


Last edited by WhiskeySeven: 03-20-2017 at 05:08 PM.
WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 05:02 PM
  #42
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 29,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He doesn't generate offense and his PPG isn't high enough.
Your goal posts for a #1 defenseman, not everyone else's. Put actual numbers to those posts, and let's see how many #1 defensemen you unintentionally exclude from reality. Take all night to engineer those post just right if need be.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 05:03 PM
  #43
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice
 
Habs Icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
You get the chicken dinner (bolded). The current misleading exaggeration (underlined) is just the most recent among many that can be summarily discarded/disregarded.
But...but...but I'm a vegetarian.

Habs Icing is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 05:04 PM
  #44
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Confirmation bias at its best.
The guy lost all credibility with his " Benn is only in the league because his brother got him a job in the NHL " comment. Lol.
Probably the most ridiculous post I have read here since I joined hf boards.

Weber has been solid.

habdynasty is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 05:06 PM
  #45
Frankenheimer
Registered User
 
Frankenheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MTL
Posts: 2,508
vCash: 500
I like Shea Weber with a lead. Less so when trailing. The opposite of PK. He is ideal for our low scoring style of hockey. I look forward to the playoffs.

Frankenheimer is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 05:11 PM
  #46
Habby Gilmore
Registered User
 
Habby Gilmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=WhiskeySeven;129709467]He doesn't generate offense and his PPG isn't high enough.

Quote:
It's nice for Price, too, who, as I've shown you before, actually has a lower SV% overall than when Weber, specifically, is on the ice. What is it now, 94.7% vs 93.8? I think that works out to being worth an ES goal against difference every 3 games or so that Weber improves Price's ES stats.
Interesting stat, that's for sure.


Even shatters his franchise and signs the biggest offersheet ever big. With fat big 14m dollar checks every year. Man of character he is. Doesn't hit big, pass big, or play big in the playoffs though. End of story.

You can cry about it all you like, he's OUR #1 D and he's not going anywhere.

He scores more goals than most D Men(you know, ACTUAL offence, not just shots lol) and He makes our goalies save percentage better, not the other way around. How many other D men can say that? Lol he's a DEFENCEMEN, not an OFFENSMEN, and he's dam good at it!!


Last edited by Habby Gilmore: 03-20-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Habby Gilmore is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 05:11 PM
  #47
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice
 
Habs Icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

Btw Habs Icing, I catch 1 game live a week and keep up with extended highlights, etc daily. Try not to bring my personal life and where I live into it.
You distort my post just like you distort Weber's contribution. I made no mention of where you live and as for your personal life I repeated something that you shared with us last week: that you had watched 20 games. So it wasn't I who brought up your "personal life". It was you.

I repeated it because I found it curious having watched only 20 games you can declare with absolute certainty that Weber has been brutal in 35 games. On the other hand I've watched every game save one and thought he was brutal in 5-6 games and average in another 10-11 games. Maybe the game that I missed left such a huge impression on you that it felt like 30-31 games. BTW the game I missed was the OT win against the Rangers.


Last edited by Habs Icing: 03-20-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Habs Icing is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 05:12 PM
  #48
The Nightman
Plateaued User
 
The Nightman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,626
vCash: 50
Hopefully Webby finds it in himself to rise to the occasion during these upcoming playoffs and manages to find some sort of extra gear.

If our spot in the standings is secured with a couple game remaining, resting him would be wise imo. The big guy has logged a ton of minutes this year and we wouldn't want a repeat of the horror show he had last year against the Sharks, he's certainly no spring chicken. Go Webs!

The Nightman is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 05:21 PM
  #49
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 29,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberahab View Post
... He makes our goalies save percentage better, not the other way around. How many other man can say that? ...
I'll narrow down the list for you a bit. It doesn't include:

Subban: 90.7% vs. Rinne 92.3%, Saros 92.7%
Karlsson: 91.6% vs. Anderson 93.8%, ~Condon 91.5%

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
03-20-2017, 05:25 PM
  #50
Habby Gilmore
Registered User
 
Habby Gilmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I'll narrow down the list for you a bit. It doesn't include:

Subban: 90.7% vs. Rinne 92.3%, Saros 92.7%
Karlsson: 91.6% vs. Anderson 93.8%, ~Condon 91.5%
Which is why I like our Defencemen better than the Offensmen we traded for him. Game, Set, Match.

Habby Gilmore is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.