HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why aren't the Jets better than they are?

Old
03-20-2017, 04:25 PM
pown

vCash: 500
they remind me alot of the senators last year, sure it was fun to watch but at no point of the game did a lead ever felt safe

They need a coaching change and one that is known to be a defensive guru like boucher, they have alot of offensive skill, if they take care of their own zone first i think they can become a powerhouse

pown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:26 PM
Atomos2
Auston 20:16

vCash: 543
They are overrated

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:27 PM
Redline

vCash: 369444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Little View Post
Until this year, they were consistently a top ten even-strength all-shots team. Though they weren't getting goaltending or special teams then, either.

Having Tobias Enström as your fifth best defenseman is hardly concerning.

That they've been without their full defense at all this season is.
To each their own, i know if i was a Jets fan watching how the group performs i would be hoping for change.

Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:29 PM
hagelin1381

team is as dumb as bricks... as well as bad goaltending and coaching, and a bad penalty kill which makes the fact that they're about as smart as bricks even worse

hagelin1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:33 PM
wintersej
HFBoards Sponsor

Maurice is an average coach. Like in his 20 year career he has a 50% points percentage. He is literally the most average coach there is. There is more to the Jets issues than coaching. Goaltending is part of it for sure, Helly just hasn't been great.

But, the team D is pretty bad, too. Some of that is the youth up front and will hopefully resolve over time. Some of that is their D group is overrated.

wintersej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:46 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambokala View Post
Injuries, Hellebuyck not ready, coaching. /thread.
I second this but here are details:

Injuries/Absences: Trouba started season was on contractual hold, Perreault was out, Little was out, and Dano (our return for Ladd was out). Myers has been out for majority of season and he's more valuable to the team than most think.

Hellebuyck: I still see this guy as the future #1 but he needed vet help this year and the best he got was a washed out Pavelec. Tons of talent, but he was raw when drafted and still el dante right now. He'll be fit to lead this team in 24 months from now, but he needs more time.

Coaching: Maurice has decent plans for this team, but lacks the ability to read his team in the moment and make the right adjustments. He sticks to his guns to a fault. Huddy has had to deal with injuries and contract hold outs but still he should be getting a lot more from a talented group, on both sides of the puck.

mazmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:50 PM
Liminality

They're tied for 2nd in the NHL for the most minor penalties taken in the league. Is it possible that them being undisciplined is tied to coaching? Combine that undisciplined nature with their horrible PK (3rd last) and it's a sure fire recipe for disaster. Is that PK tied to their horrible goaltending this year? Hutchinson has a .832 sv% on the PK this year and Hellebuyck has a .856%. Is it the coach's fault for having a poor PK system or has the goaltending been left out to dry?

Byfuglien leads the league in minor penalties, as a #1D I don't think that's a good thing.

Lots of things need to be cleaned up before they can be a serious contender.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 04:58 PM
MR4

Coach & Goalies is obvious, but I think their quality of lineup has been overrated a bit.

Also question whether their old core meshes with the new core well enough in terms of play style, and think they should trade Big Buff away

MR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Eowin

Because they stole Bobby Hull from the Blackhawks.

It is the original sin.

Eowin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:46 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSeeingYouSeattle View Post
Because people think their roster is better than it really is. Pretty simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
They are overrated
Gotta say, I'm a bit confused here. What exactly has been overrated?

Not even the most optimistic Jets fan saw four forwards at 60+ points (I'm assuming Ehlers is a safe bet to get a couple more before the season ends), with a fifth forward pacing at 60+ despite missing time due to injuries. Yet here we are.

Our goaltending wasn't being overrated, that's for sure.

Our defense continues to be underrated in most respects. Trouba was always good, and is in elite territory this season - some of the takes on him this offseason and during his holdout read like comedy gold now. Buff is always underrated because of memorable defensive gaffes and because people think he's not trying hard enough - fifth in scoring amongst NHL defenseman. Morrissey has defied any and all expectations this season. So that leaves Enstrom (declining) and Myers (quite overrated, I would agree).

So if what you meant to say is that the Jets have underachieved and are less than the sum of their parts, I would agree...but that doesn't seem to be what you're saying at all. Overrated, my ass.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 03-20-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 05:56 PM
Mr Positive
just fix it, Chia

vCash: 1255
there are the usual answers, but imo there was possibly a distraction element with all the Trouba drama.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:02 PM
DowntownBooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eowin View Post

Because they stole Bobby Hull from the Blackhawks.

It is the original sin.
The Hawks treated him badly. We were glad to have him.

DowntownBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:06 PM
ThatSaid

Mostly coaching problems. No goalie. Scant defense. Right now I see them trending towards what the Ducks were for most of the last decade, with more upside.

They'll put it together soon enough, providing they can find a true #1 D, a new coach, and they fix the goalie issues.

ThatSaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:06 PM
Grey Poupon
Cashmere Thoughts

Jets are essentially the current day Edmonton Oilers except for 2 things:

1. Cam Talbot
2. Todd Mclellan

They have solid forwards and dmen, but awful goaltending and leadership.

Grey Poupon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:08 PM
DowntownBooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
It's been strongly suggested by those in the know that Winnipeg is on pretty much every single players "no trade" list.
This is true - once they get here they don't want to be traded away.

DowntownBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:09 PM
ediger

vCash: 1125
I don't think their problems are really all that hard to identify.

Like most have mentioned, their goaltending has sucked. They jumped the gun giving Hellebuyck the reigns. He was a pretty **** hot prospect so it's understandable that they view(ed) him as the future. Unfortunately this sort of season can not just delay the development of a goalie, but actually set it back a bit. When you look at their goaltending issues over their time in Winnipeg, it makes you question why Wade Flaherty still has a job with the Jets. They've had stretches of good goaltending from all three of Pavelec, Hutchinson and Hellebuyck. To me, the inconsistencies point at the coach.

Second would probably be youth. Any team that goes in young is a huge question mark. When you have the amount of skill that is on the Jets roster it's generally just a matter of time. Turns out right now is not the time, it would appear. The roster is fairly well balanced. It's not like they've just loaded up on one skill set. You can definitely make the argument that defence has been neglected a bit in their draft and develop strategy but even still they've got Trouba and Morrisey for the time being and that's looking like it could be a legit top pairing. And up front, aside from the guys that get all the attention, you've got Lowry and Copp looking really good this year and Armia has fit in really well. That being said, they're all still prone to rookie mistakes. As are all rookies. It's when those mistakes happen that generally determine the outcome of games. I can think of like 3-4 games this year just off the top of my head where a badly timed turnover has cost the Jets the game. Those 3-4 mistakes don't happen and the playoff picture looks totally different.

Finally, injuries. Big time injuries. Yep, it can happen to any team and when it does, it usually doesn't bode well for their playoff chances down the stretch.

Anyway, some of you will probably roll your eyes and say "Whatever, just more excuses". I would say it's more of an explanation. Really it boils down to 3 things. One was a bad judgment by management and the other two luck plays a pretty large roll in. I don't think there's a huge cause for concern with this team. Plug a couple holes, try again next year.

ediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:12 PM
jaeger

Goalies. Coaching. Injuries.

Those are the three main things.

If someone tries to tell me that "well, they just don't have good enough players", they're wrong. Those are the main things. Everything else is minor compared to that.

They lost the most man games to injuries this season. Combine that with the schedule they had early on and you gonna lose a lot of important points.

Hellebuyck didn't reach the potential they expected, yet. They should've gotten a cheap veteran like Halak on the deadline and they might have made it.

And Maurice. Do I really have to say anything about him anymore? I just hope he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt because of all the injuries. He is this wise-looking guy wearing the glasses and all, saying all the right words in the press conferences, but the game he coaches and the decision he makes are stupid as hell. Do not let those press conferences fool you. He is overrated as an NHL head coach. Hope, for the sake of this young and promising team, that he is gone after the season.

jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:47 PM
uTurris
We the True North

Right now we need a good coach. Something that's fitting for Winnipeg is a coach who has a friendly personality and very offensive mind that's good with young players. Bit the Jets are a team that is very friendly compared to the rest, I just know if you go too hard on Laine he'll lose it. I would think Pat Quinn would've been perfect (RIP) but for now I'd say somewhere in the likes of Alain Vigneault or Todd McLellan.

Just super hopeful that the Jets end up hiring the next best coach in NHL history; next Mike Babcock or Scotty Bowman.

Hellebuyck is a star goalie in the making, he just needs to take less starts (something like 50 starts at least). Still hopeful Halak becomes a Jet to back-up Hellebuyck. But I see Hellebuyck in Price's situation in which it took him time to be a superstar starting goalie.

I expect playoffs next year, somewhere in the 2-3 range in the Central Division.

uTurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 06:54 PM
Hogan86

Goaltending
Special teams
Undisciplined play

Hogan86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:24 PM
syc

They have a bad GM. Every problem is easily fixable but he never fixes it. Amazing he still has a job.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 07:55 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Assclown View Post
Because Jets fans have created this perception that they are absolutely on the cusp of greatness with their sure-fire star prospects. Fans in turn expect wins. In reality the team is just really bad.

I think we may be seeing another Oilers-lite here.
The Jets have the same amount of wins as your favourite team.

Are they 'really bad' as well?

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:15 PM
KingJoffrey

Player usage is bad too. Lowry and Perreault often play more than Ehlers & Laine.

KingJoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:41 PM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Assclown View Post
Because Jets fans have created this perception that they are absolutely on the cusp of greatness with their sure-fire star prospects. Fans in turn expect wins. In reality the team is just really bad.

I think we may be seeing another Oilers-lite here.
Bingo.

I was once told the Jets have no need for JT Miller

Hire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:44 PM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsHomer View Post
The Jets have the same amount of wins as your favourite team.

Are they 'really bad' as well?
What does his team have to do with anything?

Hire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 08:47 PM
Alluckks

Player skill can be reflected in their ability to be flexible within a system. Blaming a coach is easy. Maybe their players aren't as good as some would have you believe. You don't live, sleep, and die in the basement for a decade on accident.

Alluckks is offline   Reply With Quote