HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Your opinion on goal celebrations

Old
03-20-2017, 10:52 PM
varank

vCash: 500
Your opinion on goal celebrations

It was just something on my mind, the fact that there are people who love emotion in celebrations, but there are also those who draw a line between emotion and class, so they just go for the good ol' fist bump. I personally love players that go all out, how about you?

Should there be a line between emotion and class?

varank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:53 PM
Hynh

A celebration should be a heat of the moment thing. If you plan your celebration you're taking it too far.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:56 PM
Rec T

It really depends on the game situation/player who scored.

Crosby/McDavid scoring in the middle of a nothing game, no need to celebrate, they'll be doing it again soon enough.

Scoring in OT in the playoffs? Anyone would celebrate.

John Scott type player scoring at any point, everyone celebrates.

Rec T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:56 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Go all out.

Explosions, breakdancing, whatever you need. If you can injure yourself in the celebration you will have succeeded in an extravagant enough showing.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 10:58 PM
Newfy OilPenguin

Patrick Kane's heartbreak Cele was the best Cele I've seen to date. Knocking the king's out and letting them know it. Love it.

Newfy OilPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:12 PM
Ezekial
Aboard the AAmtrak

pro-celly

Ezekial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:15 PM
PKwonthetrade
McDavid GOAT

Pro-celly, but heat of the moment is obviously preferred. Yakupov's end to end sliding extravaganza was a beauty to behold and unfortunately the highlight of his career. Still better than what people remember Stefan for I guess

PKwonthetrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:16 PM
DeflatedFootball7

As a Canadian, I hate how our media tries to get kids to keep there celebrations simple.

I still have grim memories of all the hate put on Mrazek and friends at the world juniors the one year.

Hell I've seen people this season complaining about how Mitch Marner takes things too far. Really?

People are way too worried about North Americans turning into the Russians or Czechs when it comes to cellys.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:17 PM
SquiddFX
#Seanski

Best tweet regarding goal celebrations.

SquiddFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:19 PM
mnwild

I would be taunting the other teams bench and smashing open beers like stone cold

mnwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:24 PM
Adam Clendening
#RIPClendening

Fine with them. This isn't football.

Adam Clendening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2017, 11:28 PM
dechire
Janmark Enthusiast

I don't feel much about them except in the case of guys getting their first NHL goal. That's an amazing moment in their life that they'll never forget and it's awesome to see them celebrating it. Any special milestone goals too like Marleau getting his 500th recently. Aside from that I don't feel too strongly about them but I've never had a problem with players doing it.

dechire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:09 AM
El Travo
Free 2 Points

Just don't have an obviously pre-planned celebration and it's good.

The "pro" mentality of raising one hand for no more than 3.145 seconds and a nod towards your teammates is ridiculous. Show some emotion once in awhile. Maybe if they were allowed to show some personality the sport would grow a bit faster.

El Travo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:19 AM
The Panther

It's all relative to situations. In general, I prefer players to show respect for the opposition and also the tradition of (North American?) hockey, which is not to go hog-wild on goal celebrations. Now, if you score in overtime in the playoffs, it's a bit different -- go crazy if you like (but don't do the 'Theoren Fleury', which was one reason the Flames lost that series).

Nothing wrong with showing some personality of course (young Jagr, Ovechkin), but just keep it in the parameters of respect and not show-boating.

The Yakupov celebration a few years ago was one of the most shameful moments in Oilers' history, if you ask me. Why? Because the Oilers were/are a proud organization with a tradition of championship contention, for whom a meaningless regular-season goal by a young player (who hasn't proven himself in any way, shape, or form) should not be celebrated as if the player had just scored in game 7 overtime. (Since then, I've never liked Yakupov, even though by most accounts he's a good guy.)

Again, in general, I think team-captains and decorated veterans should limit their celebrations. Shows a good example to younger players.

I also found it distasteful several years ago (was it around the early 2000s...?) when the world-junior teams all started doing enormous jump-the-glass and dogpile celebrations for nearly every goal they scored. That was bad.

But a nice -- modest if enthusiastic -- celebration is, of course, great.

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:27 AM
Zen Arcade
Seen Spaling?

I think they should fit the situation, but I don't care enough to get worked up about it.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:30 AM
Plural

There is a clear difference in sports culture between North-America and Europe. As a huge fan of European soccer, I love when the players and the crowd go all out crazy. Be it a goal, chant or whatever. As long as the celebration is not forced but coming from real emotions I love it.

And I absolutely hate the word "celly". Anyone using it should get a 2 week ban from this site.

Plural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:32 AM
Seanaconda

I like them. The more personality and emotion from the players the better.

The jagr salute sellane shooting the stick. Riding the stick the fleury slide idk celebrations were awesome

Seanaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:35 AM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Depends on the moment and the goal, you can show emotion without it being borderline taunting.

Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:56 AM
JoVel

To me celebrations like Yakupov's make the player look like an idiot.

JoVel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 12:57 AM
The Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plural View Post
There is a clear difference in sports culture between North-America and Europe.
I don't think it's a "North American" thing. I'm pretty sure soccer (football) teams in Vancouver or Los Angeles have goal-celebrations similar to those in Europe. And American football touchdowns are often followed by big-time celebrations, flips, etc. The NBA recently had to outlaw the "I-have-big-balls" walk-celebration after a basket.

It's a sports' culture thing, ingrained from history. The history of hockey is very Canadian, as is the history of the NHL (the "N" in NHL originally meant Canada). Canadians generally dislike ostentatious things, loud people, and self-aggrandizement. Therefore, putting yourself above the team in any way was severely frowned upon.

That tradition has come down to today. I personally like traditions, especially when they promote sportsmanship and humility.

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 01:03 AM
Plural

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
I don't think it's a "North American" thing. I'm pretty sure soccer (football) teams in Vancouver or Los Angeles have goal-celebrations similar to those in Europe. And American football touchdowns are often followed by big-time celebrations, flips, etc. The NBA recently had to outlaw the "I-have-big-balls" walk-celebration after a basket.

It's a sports' culture thing, ingrained from history. The history of hockey is very Canadian, as is the history of the NHL (the "N" in NHL originally meant Canada). Canadians generally dislike ostentatious things, loud people, and self-aggrandizement. Therefore, putting yourself above the team in any way was severely frowned upon.

That tradition has come down to today. I personally like traditions, especially when they promote sportsmanship and humility.
That's true. Even though there still is a difference between European sports culture and NA. But the difference between hockey and for example, NBA is partly explained with Canadian culture (which actually surprisingly much reminds me of Finnish mentality without the passive hostility we Finns tend to harbor).

Plural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 01:08 AM
Hockeyfan2390

Hockeyfan2390 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 01:11 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan2390 View Post
The Ovechkin montage combined with Cherry ranting over it is priceless

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 01:14 AM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

I love goal celebrations. Watching a player casually skate to his teammates and give them a fist bump with no smile on his face is rather sad to watch because you know the moment could have been so much more exciting.

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2017, 01:14 AM
Eternal Leaf

You have to be real soft to get hurt by someone's celebration.

Eternal Leaf is online now   Reply With Quote