HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hasek praises Lundqvist

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master
I have never said nor will I ever say that the Rangers are a 'very team'.
Sure you will, just work a bunch of long hours and try and prepare for the arrival of your first child. You'll be leaving words out like nobody's business.

Old
02-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Fletch

The difference is goaltending...

as in the difference when Weekes was in goal against the Sens and when Lundqvist's in goal. And Lundqvist is one of the hottest goalies in the league, and has been all season. It takes a while to get the benefit of the doubt since the season really has recently started to look like real hockey. Aside from Nov/Dec, Lundqvist's numbers have been pretty steady, but the last 10 or so games, it just seems as though the guy's impossible to beat (winning gets noticed.

Old
02-09-2006, 12:55 PM
ddheyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I dunno about hottest goalie in the league right now. Lundy's been playing at this level all season. Seems almost insulting to classify it as merely being on a hot streak.
I can't see how this could be an insult to say he is playing better than any other goalie in the league right now. To me it seems like a great compliment. To say that lundy is the BEST goalie overall in hockey is ludicrous given that he has played a grand total of 40 or so NHL games. Therefore it would be most accurate to say he is the hottest one implying that he is playing better than anyone else right now and we'll see how he develops over the long-term (i.e. 3 or 4 years).

Not sure why we always are turning relatively straight forward compliments or statements upside down and interpreting them bass ackwards.

Old
02-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Nordique

I'd say its a sincere compliment. Hasek wouldn't be slighting Lundqvist by saying that. How often do you hear Hasek down play or insult another player? He is a class act. Its not like the words came out of Patrick Roy's mouth.

Old
02-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddheyman
I can't see how this could be an insult to say he is playing better than any other goalie in the league right now. To me it seems like a great compliment. To say that lundy is the BEST goalie overall in hockey is ludicrous given that he has played a grand total of 40 or so NHL games. Therefore it would be most accurate to say he is the hottest one implying that he is playing better than anyone else right now and we'll see how he develops over the long-term (i.e. 3 or 4 years).

Not sure why we always are turning relatively straight forward compliments or statements upside down and interpreting them bass ackwards.
No one is doing that, it's a little side comment that people are turning into a pissing contest again. It's getting exhausting.

Right now Lundqvist is one of the best goalies in hockey this season, period end of sentence. It doesn't matter if he's a rookie, a 10 year vet or a hologram that doesn't really exist. No one is saying he is an all-time great, but a player does not play hot for 40 games. 10 maybe, not 40. Ironically enough, this isn't even the best streak he's been on this season.

The problem is people are adding on to the comment and saying "Therefore it would be most accurate to say he is the hottest one implying that he is playing better than anyone else right now and we'll see how he develops over the long-term (i.e. 3 or 4 years)." That's a VERY different comment.

Lundqvist is not playing hot, he's been that good all year. When I read a comment like that, I'm not taking it as a great compliment OR an insult. However, the implication is that the difference is that he's hot. Not that he's played at this level all year, but that in the NOW he is hot.

It's not a great insult, nor is anyone saying it is. Let's not shadow box that point here.

What was said is that it seems not quite accurate to point it more towards being "Hot" at the moment or the team's goalie is the difference in success. This is a team that has worked hard, sure there not as good of a team if Weekes is the starter but their not nothing without Lundqvist.

I think Lundqvist is a key centerpiece in the team's success but effective third and fourth lines, the NHL's leading scorer, a rookie on pace for a 30 goal season and the accomplishments of players like Ward and others are also big part's as well.

Again I don't think it's a big deal nor is it the federal issue people are trying to turn it into as if anyone said "He's wrong and idiot for saying that". All I think is that it's slightly off. I don't think this team or any player has quite gotten the recognition it deserves.

Prucha hasn't. Despite his rebirth, I don't even think Jagr has gotten the attention his type season would normally bring. Same with Lundqvist, heck even guys like Nylander and Staka are having some of their best seasons.

No more, no less. Not a federal issue, not saying that Hasek's comments were evil, this is spiraling away from what the actual conversation was about.

Old
02-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique
I'd say its a sincere compliment. Hasek wouldn't be slighting Lundqvist by saying that. How often do you hear Hasek down play or insult another player? He is a class act. Its not like the words came out of Patrick Roy's mouth.
I don't think you wanna open up that can per say. Hasek has his little history as well.

Old
02-09-2006, 01:19 PM
ddheyman

Quote:
No one is doing that, it's a little side comment that people are turning into a pissing contest again. It's getting exhausting.

Right now Lundqvist is one of the best goalies in hockey this season, period end of sentence. It doesn't matter if he's a rookie, a 10 year vet or a hologram that doesn't really exist. No one is saying he is an all-time great, but a player does not play hot for 40 games. 10 maybe, not 40. Ironically enough, this isn't even the best streak he's been on this season.

The problem is people are adding on to the comment and saying "Therefore it would be most accurate to say he is the hottest one implying that he is playing better than anyone else right now and we'll see how he develops over the long-term (i.e. 3 or 4 years)." That's a VERY different comment.

Lundqvist is not playing hot, he's been that good all year. When I read a comment like that, I'm not taking it as a great compliment OR an insult. However, the implication is that the difference is that he's hot. Not that he's played at this level all year, but that in the NOW he is hot.

It's not a great insult, nor is anyone saying it is. Let's not shadow box that point here.

What was said is that it seems not quite accurate to point it more towards being "Hot" at the moment or the team's goalie is the difference in success. This is a team that has worked hard, sure there not as good of a team if Weekes is the starter but their not nothing without Lundqvist.

I think Lundqvist is a key centerpiece in the team's success but effective third and fourth lines, the NHL's leading scorer, a rookie on pace for a 30 goal season and the accomplishments of players like Ward and others are also big part's as well.

Again I don't think it's a big deal nor is it the federal issue people are trying to turn it into as if anyone said "He's wrong and idiot for saying that". All I think is that it's slightly off. I don't think this team or any player has quite gotten the recognition it deserves.

Prucha hasn't. Despite his rebirth, I don't even think Jagr has gotten the attention his type season would normally bring. Same with Lundqvist, heck even guys like Nylander and Staka are having some of their best seasons.

No more, no less. Not a federal issue, not saying that Hasek's comments were evil, this is spiraling away from what the actual conversation was about.
Edge, my comment wasn't really directed at you (probably shouldn't have quoted you then), just thought it was a genuine compliment (I might be wrong, but I thought he was complimenting him), and in general I've been tired of people (once again, not you) just absolutely twisting something and everything that anyone says ... if it came out poorly, my apologies.

Old
02-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I think this was not a backhanded compliment. I highly doubt that Hasek has seen a lot of Rangers games (and why should he?) this year and when his team played us last time they dominated us and completely exploited Weekes. Not like he had a great view of Lundqvist for a whole game there. I think it was a great compliment from him, to be honest. I think people here are looking a bit too much into it.

Old
02-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Fletch

Look at it this way..

the last time they faced, Lundqvist wasn't really in the spotlight because technically, Weekes was the goalie. When Ottawa prepared for the game against the Rangers, Weekes was likely a subject, and when they finally played, Weekes was in goal and they got shelled. When they last faced Ottawa, the Rangers had just lost 3 of 4 also, so at the time, the Rangers were a bit less threatening. Fast forward to the game the other day. Since that game, Lundqvist emerged as a starter. The Sens expected to face him and Lundvist is now the topic in the locker room and in the video room. The Rangers have gotten 15 points in the last 9 games (15 out of 18 points) and Lundqvist had started every game, save 2 or 3, since the Ottawa game, a span of about 18 games. While we've seen Lundqvist play well all season, there's a difference in starting every other, or every third game and being a regular. And since that Ottawa game, Lundqvist has been the regular goaltender, the go-to guy if you will, and likely this is why Hasek says he's been 'how'. Take it to mean whatever, but I can't say if Hasek has followed Lundvist all season long, which I doubt, and when teams are winning and goalies are consistently playing like him, people take notice.

Old
02-09-2006, 02:59 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
Please.

You sound as if you've never watched a team play in front of a bad goalie.

Confidence starts from the net on out. Hasek knows this as much as anyone.
So this is the reason why Ottawa lost? Because they had no confidence in some guy named Hasek?

A good goalie has never won a Stanley Cup for a crappy team.

Old
02-09-2006, 03:26 PM
natureboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LundmarkFan
That's great to hear...one of the all-time greats in net praises Lundqvist.
Broduer would never say anything like that. Kudos to the dominator.

Old
02-09-2006, 03:43 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose
So this is the reason why Ottawa lost? Because they had no confidence in some guy named Hasek?
Are you taking one game to try and prove a point now? What a fantastically relevant sample size.

Teams that play in front of mediocre goalies overcompensate to try and prevent shots, or end up in the crease trying to play goalie themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose
A good goalie has never won a Stanley Cup for a crappy team.
Yeah, but they can get pretty far.

Calgary with Kiprusoff, Anaheim with Giguere, Buffalo with Hasek.

You might even say the Canadiens won a Cup in '93 with Roy.

You can't be a great team without a good goalie.

Old
02-09-2006, 03:53 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
No one is saying he is an all-time great, but a player does not play hot for 40 games. 10 maybe, not 40. Ironically enough, this isn't even the best streak he's been on this season.
Quote:
Awhile back, when the goalies were asked about who the best goalie in the league was (the poll was listed in the NHL main forum), Hasek commented that he thought it was Manny Fernandez.

"Manny Fernandez. I just look at him as a guy who is playing really well right now."

http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/article6085.html

I think Hasek fundamentally understands that goaltenders are not universally good all the time, and have hot streaks and cold streaks. Lundqvist has been playing well all season long, but for Dom, that may seem like a streak of sorts anyway.

Half a season is not a long time. Andrew Raycroft was great for an entire season. So was Jim Carey. Maybe the respect has to be earned.

Old
02-09-2006, 04:09 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
Are you taking one game to try and prove a point now? What a fantastically relevant sample size.

Teams that play in front of mediocre goalies overcompensate to try and prevent shots, or end up in the crease trying to play goalie themselves.

Yeah, but they can get pretty far.

Calgary with Kiprusoff, Anaheim with Giguere, Buffalo with Hasek.

You might even say the Canadiens won a Cup in '93 with Roy.

You can't be a great team without a good goalie.
You need a good goalie, yes, as you need a good team. What I don't like is when people say a team got that far only because they had good goaltending. I think it's unfair how a reason a team plays well is because of good goaltending, and a team plays bad because of bad goaltending. It makes the whole team less accountable.

A mediocre goalie looks good on a good team.
A good goalie looks good on a good team.

Old
02-09-2006, 06:42 PM
shoothepuck

Was good to get a compliment from one hot goalie to another.

Closed Thread