HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

gonchar healthy scratch tonight

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2006, 12:07 AM
sqweaf*

vCash: 500
gonchar healthy scratch tonight

he was a healthy scrtach, hey his play isnt the best it has been. but on the right team its certain to turn around. i think something may be up. better to showcase a player then to scratch him.

Old
02-09-2006, 12:09 AM
CCF
This is the year....

You wish you could unload him.

I honestly can't see anyone wanting to pick him up with that contract of his.

Old
02-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Olias of Sunhillow

The Pittsburgh announcers said that Gonchar was experiencing dizziness, perhaps concussed -- therefore, not a healthy scratch.

Old
02-09-2006, 12:13 AM
Mister Hockey

Gonchar was not a healthy scratch. He was injured in his last game.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06040/652573.stm

Old
02-09-2006, 12:32 AM
Olias of Sunhillow

Regardless, nothing's "up" with Gonchar. The Pens are stuck with that crazy contract they gave him. He's played better as of late, but he's still not going anywhere, and that's not Patrick's choice.

Old
02-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Metallian*

im glad hes stuck in pittsburgh

one of my favorite defensemen in the league, on my favorite team in the league

Old
02-09-2006, 12:50 AM
Jaded-Fan

It was pointed out on the Pens post game braodcast that Gonchar has been playing better of late. But he could also serve an invaluable role next year besides on the ice. Malkin comes next year speaking very little english, Gonchar played with him during the lockout and could ease his transition here. Gonchar also could get that defensive defenseman pairing by next year that he obviously so needs, as well as at least some forwards on the team who will help defensively hopefully better than this group does.

Old
02-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Zoo

come again... your a penguins fan

Old
02-09-2006, 12:58 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo
come again... your a penguins fan

Me? I was parroting back what was said on the Pens' post game show for those who had not heard it. Someone asked about the cheer that went up when Gonchar was announced at the game. They went into what I addressed above.

Old
02-09-2006, 03:49 AM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
With Tarnstrom gone (thank God...) and hopefully with the developement of younger guys like Welch, Whitney and Orpik, Pittsburgh has a chance to have a pretty solid D corps next year. I'm willing to write this season off and give Gonchar another chance to perform next year. For all his flaws, Gonchar still is an elite talent and has proven himself for years in the NHL. He's not old enough to be losing his ability, so I wouldn't be shocked if he bounces back next season.

Old
02-09-2006, 04:23 AM
davemess

I think the Gonchar and Orpik paring has a lot of potential..... it is almost a shame that Gonchar is going off to the Olympics and the coaches wont be able to work with those guys more.

Old
02-09-2006, 04:33 AM
Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
Me? I was parroting back what was said on the Pens' post game show for those who had not heard it. Someone asked about the cheer that went up when Gonchar was announced at the game. They went into what I addressed above.
Metallian ... we posted at the same time, your post got in before mine.

Old
02-09-2006, 07:05 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
But he could also serve an invaluable role next year besides on the ice. Malkin comes next year speaking very little english, Gonchar played with him during the lockout and could ease his transition here.
Better hope Malkin doesn't spend too much time around Gonchar... the only English phrases he'll learn are "bad pinch.. sorry", and "who's the guy with the gold pads?".

Old
02-09-2006, 07:20 AM
shawn_kemp*

he's resting before the Olympics!

Old
02-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Pens1566

Not a healthy scratch. He's injured. Nothing to see here. Move along. Close thread.

Old
02-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess
I think the Gonchar and Orpik paring has a lot of potential..... it is almost a shame that Gonchar is going off to the Olympics and the coaches wont be able to work with those guys more.
I'm surprised it has taken this long to put the two together. They seem to have fairly complimentary abilities of one dynamic breakout defenseman and one dynamic takeout defenseman.

02-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Rudolf Yaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallian
im glad hes stuck in pittsburgh

one of my favorite defensemen in the league, on my favorite team in the league
I am so, so sorry. I cry for you now

Old
02-09-2006, 11:07 AM
PuckU

Yashin for Gonchar. Both have high salries and could use a switch.

Old
02-09-2006, 11:10 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Schubert rocked him

Old
02-09-2006, 11:19 AM
davemess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
I'm surprised it has taken this long to put the two together. They seem to have fairly complimentary abilities of one dynamic breakout defenseman and one dynamic takeout defenseman.
I think was a little bad luck, little bad planning on the teams part. They started the season wanting Gonchar to play with Jackman since they are the obvious PP pairing. By the time they figured out that wasnt working Orpik was out hurt for a while.

Gonchar played his best hockey with Witt in Washington and Orpik is the most Witt-Like Dman the Pens have.

Old
02-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
I think was a little bad luck, little bad planning on the teams part. They started the season wanting Gonchar to play with Jackman since they are the obvious PP pairing. By the time they figured out that wasnt working Orpik was out hurt for a while.

Gonchar played his best hockey with Witt in Washington and Orpik is the most Witt-Like Dman the Pens have.
I would not at all be surprised if post olympics we saw that pairing . . . would be nice to see someone chasing Gonchar with his head down and Orpik lining him up to send him across the rink. Makes too much sense to not happen. And I suspect as well Gonchar would get some of his game back, but not all. Defense is not all about who is back there, but the forwards supporting as well. That is a worse problem for us than even our defenseman. As has been pointed out some on our defense do have some talent, and long term we have boatloads of talent coming up defensively. But the forwards defending problem can only be fully addressed this off season. Some on this team will not be here next year fixing a lot that is wrong.

Old
02-09-2006, 12:17 PM
davemess

I couldnt agree more on the forwards, the teams needs to commit to building and using 2 checking lines....... at the momement we barely have 1.

Armstrong, Talbot are good starts, Murley and Endicott are very questionable so we really need to either find or sign 3 or 4 very good defensive forwards.

We need a Jan Hrdina type to centre the 3rd line, chip in 40 points and most importantly win some draws.

Old
02-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
"Gonchar played his best hockey with Witt in Washington and Orpik is the most Witt-Like Dman the Pens have."

Witt and Gonchar were seldom, if ever, paired together.

Reekie and then Klee were his partners, which more or less is along the lines of your point, though. Gonchar needs a real stay-at-home type to pair up with.

/end nitpick

Old
02-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveiglar
Better hope Malkin doesn't spend too much time around Gonchar... the only English phrases he'll learn are "bad pinch.. sorry", and "who's the guy with the gold pads?".

Probably true, though the color of Fleury's pads, according to Pens commentator Mike Lange, is not gold but "school bus yellow".

Btw, didn't Gonchar have a concussion in the RSL last year when he got run over by Ovechkin?

Old
02-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I couldnt agree more on the forwards, the teams needs to commit to building and using 2 checking lines....... at the momement we barely have 1.

Armstrong, Talbot are good starts, Murley and Endicott are very questionable so we really need to either find or sign 3 or 4 very good defensive forwards.

We need a Jan Hrdina type to centre the 3rd line, chip in 40 points and most importantly win some draws.
I don't even think they so much need a change of personnel but a change in philosophy and committment from the players they have. If the players don't but into the idea that they need to come back to support their defense, to operate with a tighter gap and provide easier transition passing lanes, to be around if turnovers happen. Philosophically, that can and should start now.

Closed Thread