HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2016-17 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe) Part II

Old
03-26-2017, 01:28 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 500
Friedman on Jost yesterday:

"One of the issues with him is that he's 19 and has to play 10 games to burn a year so MAYBE he goes back for another year at North Dakota instead of signing with Colorado. He's still deciding."

There's no rush in bringing him in but I think I'd probably prefer if he just signed now and started pro hockey next season. I don't care too much either way though.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 01:38 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Man everything about the 2014 draft from an Avs POV is depressing, especially seeing all these other players picked after him turning the corner.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 01:42 PM
Murzu

vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Man everything about the 2014 draft from an Avs POV is depressing, especially seeing all these other players picked after him turning the corner.
Was JUST thinking this same thing when I saw that Barbashev has started to contribute.. imagine if we picked Pastrnak instead of Bleacks.

What actually went wrong with Bleackley? He seemed to score goals at a better rate in his D+1 year compared to draft year, did the injuries mess up his development?

Murzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 02:14 PM
Perratrooper

I actually know Bleaks a bit, but all I can say is the kid has a party problem. Probably a big reason he got stripped of his captaincy his last year of junior. Talented kid with a wicked shot, but not that fast and lacks the maturity to push himself to be a competitive player. If he does shape up a bit St.Louis could have a very solid 5th rounder on their hands as he does have some decent talent.

A side note he was an Avs fan as a kid which I believe had an impact in him being drafted by the Avs. He ultimately gets the game fairly well though (told me Siemens would be a bust and Jones would be a stud).

Perratrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 02:16 PM
Murzu

vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perratrooper View Post
I actually know Bleaks, but all I can say is the kid has a party problem. Probably a big reason he got stripped of his captaincy his last year of junior. Talented kid with a wicked shot, but not that fast and lacks the maturity to push himself to be a competitive player. If he does shape up a bit St.Louis could have a very solid 5th rounder on their hands as he does have some decent talent.
If this is true (I'm not saying that I don't trust your words), that's just Avs luck to draft a guy like that. No good things allowed.

Murzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 02:21 PM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perratrooper View Post
A side note he was an Avs fan as a kid which I believe had an impact in him being drafted by the Avs. He ultimately gets the game fairly well though (told me Siemens would be a bust and Jones would be a stud).
Did he tell you he'd be a bust too?

UncleRisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 02:43 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Friedman on Jost yesterday:

"One of the issues with him is that he's 19 and has to play 10 games to burn a year so MAYBE he goes back for another year at North Dakota instead of signing with Colorado. He's still deciding."

There's no rush in bringing him in but I think I'd probably prefer if he just signed now and started pro hockey next season. I don't care too much either way though.
What does that even mean from Friedman?

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 02:50 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
What does that even mean from Friedman?
That perhaps burning the first year of his ELC is important to Jost, and since he cannot mathematically do that with the amount of games remaining this year, that he'll go back to ND and look to sign when he's 20, which will then burn a year if he suits up in even one game.

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 02:57 PM
Spleenless Wonder21

CamMo receives great breakout pass from Bjork, eeks one by UMass Lowell goalie to put Irish up 1-0 in the 1st.

Last edited by Spleenless Wonder21: 03-26-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Spleenless Wonder21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 02:58 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlich Bachman View Post
That perhaps burning the first year of his ELC is important to Jost, and since he cannot mathematically do that with the amount of games remaining this year, that he'll go back to ND and look to sign when he's 20, which will then burn a year if he suits up in even one game.
Conversely, sliding in 2016-17 would guarantee burning a year of his ELC in 2017-18, even if Jost doesn't play a single NHL game. Whereas waiting until he's age 20 wouldn't burn a year off until 2018-19.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 03:00 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlich Bachman View Post
The fun part of that is that he'd likely be on the same ELC pace either way unless the Avs refused to give him 10 games next season.

I think it purely comes down to if he thinks the Avs will tuck him into SAR or not (e: did my homework)

Last edited by AslanRH: 03-26-2017 at 04:06 PM.
AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 03:08 PM
The Kingslayer

Just sign someone already.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 03:57 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Conversely, sliding in 2016-17 would guarantee burning a year of his ELC in 2017-18, even if Jost doesn't play a single NHL game. Whereas waiting until he's age 20 wouldn't burn a year off until 2018-19.
Why is that? An ELC can slide twice. Why wouldn't it slide if he's playing in the AHL all year next year (let's just say)? If he signs next year at 20 one NHL game burns it right then.

If he's hoping for the Avs to burn a year off for him, good luck.

Old
03-26-2017, 04:33 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
Why is that? An ELC can slide twice. Why wouldn't it slide if he's playing in the AHL all year next year (let's just say)? If he signs next year at 20 one NHL game burns it right then.

If he's hoping for the Avs to burn a year off for him, good luck.
An ELC can slide twice if the player is signed at Age 18. The ELC can only slide once if the player signs at Age 19.

Jost would be considered an Age 19 signee. Hence he could only slide one time.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 04:50 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

CaMo is having a game today

Old
03-26-2017, 04:54 PM
Spleenless Wonder21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
Set up by Bjork, again. Bs may have gotten a steal in him. Morrison definitely has a nose for the puck, had a near assist on a redirected pass in the 2nd period.

Old
03-26-2017, 04:56 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
He's the only one that's scored too, great game for him.

Barron scored today too, got the ball rolling on an upset of Mississauga and a bunch of leadery stuff too.

Old
03-26-2017, 04:59 PM
Spleenless Wonder21

The equalizer:

Old
03-26-2017, 05:28 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

I might be a bit slow on these things, but it just occurred to me that Morrison and Clurman will be teammates next year.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 05:43 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Wow, nice hands by Morrison, especially on that first goal to tuck in his own rebound at full speed. He's definitely grown a lot this year.

McMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 07:27 PM
The Kingslayer

Was it Cam Morrison everyone was all worried about earlier this season?

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 07:28 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Morrison has been good, but he's still quite raw. If I was one of our development coaches, I would hope that he's at Notre Dame for at least the minimum of two more seasons (sign him after his junior year is done). There's a lot of good qualities to his game, his size, his tenaciousness, his love of the dirty areas, and especially his shot.

But somethings are still holding him back, predominately his skating. He's got a strong long stride, but his acceleration and agility are quite lacking as of now. For a big man, you want him to be more agile around the net like how Greer is when these types of players are persevering for loose pucks from rebounds or bounces. Sometimes he kind of chases the play due to his lack of speed, but does possess a good amount of intelligence for a powerforward (which you like to see). However, he doesn't have a mean streak. He hits players and is quite tough to move out of in front of the net for a freshmen. But you can clearly see at times that he's still on the lankly side even already being at 212 lbs.

Once he refines his tools more, he should be a perfect Jamie McGinn replacement as that tweener between the 2nd to 3rd line spot. Where he's a north to south winger that can make plays off the rush, but will predominately get all his goals or points by going to the net.

E: Spencer Foo was quite interesting to watch, he's as lanky as a kid that I've ever seen in my life, but his elusiveness and quickness with the puck is definitely intriguing. Has a huge amount of hockey intelligence, but for the people who worried about Jost, Foo is like five times the worry as of now. If I was him, I would much rather come back for my senior season even if Union is going to be a young team next year instead of signing with an NHL team this offseason.

Last edited by S E P H: 03-26-2017 at 07:35 PM.
S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 09:17 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Wasn't Morrison considered to be at least three years away from the NHL when Avs drafted him? Nothing wrong with slow cooking. If Avs are serious about building an AHL team, they should do more of it.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 09:46 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

We have no dire need to rush him along at this point. At the very least, he needs one more year, and unless he really explodes in his sophomore season, one more after that should be good. He's on a good team which seems to be helping him a lot. He's already rounded himself out a lot, I'm excited to see where he takes it next season.

Jost is a different story. With UND bleeding talent next year, it's up for debate whether or not one more year will benefit him as a player that much more than turning pro. Aside from physical development, which can happen anywhere, what more does he have to learn from playing in the NCAA with guys who aren't going to be on the same level as Boeser? Plus, he's in a whole other world of talent and potential to Morrison. He shouldn't be treated the same as a slow-burn project.

McMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 06:33 AM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

I agree about Morrison, but will admit he seems to have upped the development curve more than I thought this year. He has looked better the last couple weeks than I thought he would when I watched a couple of his games early in the season.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Avs try and get him to leave after another year and finish refining his game in San Antonio for a season if he continues to improve at this pace.