HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Radulov III

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2017, 02:43 PM
7 day theory

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHShadow View Post
My bad. Didn't read the whole thread. Still though, without Radulov, I can't really see us being a contending team in the near future, which would then make sense to rebuild.

Losing Radulov means we'll need a 1C, 2C, 1RW, 1LD. I don't see how we can find all of those missing pieces in the next 2 years without moving other core pieces and/or mortgaging the future.

Even with Radulov signing here, I wouldn't mind us rebuilding either (although in that case, it wouldn't make sense to sign Radulov).
All good

Losing Radulov would suck, but it wouldn't be detrimental to the point where the organization should scrap its plan to contend and embrace a tank.

That's all I was arguing

Old
05-16-2017, 02:53 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
You want a name? OK...how about Alex Galchenyuk

Do you think he could put up 18 goals and 54pts playing #1RW?
Of course, but as I alluded to earlier, that if you use a roster player, who replaces his production elsewhere?

Now our lineup looks like this:

Pacioretty - Top6 C - Galchenyuk
Top6 LW - Top6 C - Gallagher

Would love to slot Lehkonen as that Top6 LW, but he may not be ready yet for 82 games in the top6. His stats from last year weren't great, but he had a really good playoffs. We have Shaw and Byron, both I would prefer not to be in our starting top6. Sure they can cover injuries, but we agree we want a team that can compete for a Cup and not just make the playoffs, right?

I understand the world doesn't end with Radulov, but the holes created by him not re-signing are monstrous. Having Radulov, means Galchenyuk, and I pray, can be a center again. I just don't see MB finding two top6 C, and Danault and Plekanec are not the answer.

Do you see where I am going with this? Common sense for me shows the Habs are in deep **** if they do not play Galchenyuk at Center and if Radulov does not re-sign. I agree that we can discuss this until we are blue in the face, but when you think about reality, Thornton or Marleau an option? Oshie wants to play in Canada? Vrbata 5 yeras older than Radulov an option? Eaves just had a career year, like nothing he ever did before... Skeptical about signing him to a contract. Maybe Sam Gagner... That would be something I can see MB doing.

I do not think it's that easy to replace Radulov if he walks. If I did, I wouldn't be on this forum discussing possible solutions as it wouldn't be worth discussing.

Old
05-16-2017, 03:10 PM
7 day theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post

I do not think it's that easy to replace Radulov if he walks. If I did, I wouldn't be on this forum discussing possible solutions as it wouldn't be worth discussing.
Quote:
Of course, but as I alluded to earlier, that if you use a roster player, who replaces his production elsewhere?
Yes, I'm very much aware that if I do this...there's a trickle down effect.

Quote:
Would love to slot Lehkonen as that Top6 LW, but he may not be ready yet for 82 games in the top6.
He played a full season this year, why wouldn't he be able too? I know it's not convenient for the sake of this argument, but why wouldn't anyone have Lehkonen in their top 6?

Quote:
I understand the world doesn't end with Radulov, but the holes created by him not re-signing are monstrous. Having Radulov, means Galchenyuk, and I pray, can be a center again. I just don't see MB finding two top6 C, and Danault and Plekanec are not the answer.
Not ideal, I agree...but not impossible to recover from, can we at least agree on that?
Quote:
Do you see where I am going with this? Common sense for me shows the Habs are in deep **** if they do not play Galchenyuk at Center and if Radulov does not re-sign. I agree that we can discuss this until we are blue in the face, but when you think about reality, Thornton or Marleau an option? Oshie wants to play in Canada? Vrbata 5 yeras older than Radulov an option? Eaves just had a career year, like nothing he ever did before... Skeptical about signing him to a contract. Maybe Sam Gagner... That would be something I can see MB doing.
I think the answer lies more in the trade market and the trade market is limitless (despite what MB says).

Old
05-16-2017, 03:32 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
He played a full season this year, why wouldn't he be able too? I know it's not convenient for the sake of this argument, but why wouldn't anyone have Lehkonen in their top 6?
The reason I don't want to pencil him into my top6 is due to me wanting more out of this roster. Since he makes less than 1M, I would like to sign an aging guy like Vrbata to a one year deal at about 4M. This way we have Lehkonen battling for ice time with a vet who has had his ups and downs, but if he still has it in him for one more year, it would be good competition. When Lehkonen catches fire, you bump him up, if he goes cold, you shelter him a bit. This doesn't mean you send him to the minors, it just gives CJ more options.

This is also a luxury, if need be pencil Lehkonen in at that top6 spot and so be it. Unlike seeing Shaw or Byron in our top6, I can live with that.

Quote:
Not ideal, I agree...but not impossible to recover from, can we at least agree on that?
Impossible to recover from? Of course not. Impossible for MB to recover from considering his lackluster past with UFAs... You see where I am going with this? Radulov is the best UFA on the market and losing him just hurts. Can he be replaced by committee? Sure. Can one player replace his production? Not impossible but unlikely.

This what I would expect from a contending team with a great goaltender and a good D.

0.85 PPG (70 points) - 0.90 PPG (74 points) - 0.80 PPG (66 points)
0.55 PPG (45 points) - 0.65 PPG (53 points) - 0.60 PPG (50 points)

This is obviously in a vacuum, it's only a diagram for perspective.

Since we do not have any top end talent, I feel this is what the team should be looking for. The values for the position are arbitrary, but generally centers have more points than wingers. It's a 60 point average for the top6 players on the team.

Quote:
I think the answer lies more in the trade market and the trade market is limitless (despite what MB says).
So I assume you are willing to trade Sergachev and 1st and 2nd round picks? I have a hard time seeing he Habs trade for a top6 forward without giving up something of quality. If we trade roster players, we would need to fill their hole also.

Old
05-16-2017, 03:47 PM
7 day theory

Quote:
Quote:
The reason I don't want to pencil him into my top6 is due to me wanting more out of this roster.
Or maybe, subconsciously, you think it means you're giving MB props? Again, not sure why anyone wouldn't have him as a top 6 player next year, if there's one thing we can be proud of how this season went.

It's Lehkonen...he didn't get 18 goals by luck or usage, he got it because of his high hockey sense and may have had more on a better team and under better circumstances.

Since he makes less than 1M, I would like to sign an aging guy like Vrbata to a one year deal at about 4M. This way we have Lehkonen battling for ice time with a vet who has had his ups and downs, but if he still has it in him for one more year, it would be good competition. When Lehkonen catches fire, you bump him up, if he goes cold, you shelter him a bit. This doesn't mean you send him to the minors, it just gives CJ more options.

This is also a luxury, if need be pencil Lehkonen in at that top6 spot and so be it. Unlike seeing Shaw or Byron in our top6, I can live with that.

Quote:
Impossible to recover from? Of course not. Impossible for MB to recover from considering his lackluster past with UFAs... You see where I am going with this? Radulov is the best UFA on the market and losing him just hurts. Can he be replaced by committee? Sure. Can one player replace his production? Not impossible but unlikely.
Not really no, because every year, the crop of available UFA forwards and their quality is different, so looking at past behaviour when it comes to signing UFA"s doesn't make much sense.

This what I would expect from a contending team with a great goaltender and a good D.
Quote:
0.85 PPG (70 points) - 0.90 PPG (74 points) - 0.80 PPG (66 points)
0.55 PPG (45 points) - 0.65 PPG (53 points) - 0.60 PPG (50 points)

This is obviously in a vacuum, it's only a diagram for perspective.
I think this is great as a diagram, but I'm not entirely sure it's very realistic for teams who aren't the Penguins or Capitals.

Quote:
So I assume you are willing to trade Sergachev and 1st and 2nd round picks? I have a hard time seeing he Habs trade for a top6 forward without giving up something of quality. If we trade roster players, we would need to fill their hole also.
For the right kind of trade, there isn't a single player on this roster who I wouldn't move.

Old
05-16-2017, 04:12 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
All good

Losing Radulov would suck, but it wouldn't be detrimental to the point where the organization should scrap its plan to contend and embrace a tank.

That's all I was arguing
Exactly. He's replaceable. Not easily replaceable, but replaceable nonetheless.

Quote:
Yes, I'm very much aware that if I do this...there's a trickle down effect.

For the same reason nobody is rushing to put Byron in the top 6. We'd like to see more consistency. I'd rather start him on the 3rd line and add a more established top 6 winger and see if he can play his way up. Plus that way we get to roll 3 lines.

Old
05-16-2017, 04:28 PM
7 day theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Exactly. He's replaceable. Not easily replaceable, but replaceable nonetheless.

For the same reason nobody is rushing to put Byron in the top 6. We'd like to see more consistency. I'd rather start him on the 3rd line and add a more established top 6 winger and see if he can play his way up. Plus that way we get to roll 3 lines.
Same can be said about Alex Radulov...yet no one here has any problem penciling him in our top 6 and handing him a blank cheque.

Old
05-16-2017, 06:27 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Same can be said about Alex Radulov...yet no one here has any problem penciling him in our top 6 and handing him a blank cheque.
Are you really comparing Lehkonen with Radulov?

Old
05-16-2017, 06:31 PM
7 day theory

Quote:
Are you really comparing Lehkonen with Radulov?
He said he'd like to see more consistency with Lehkonen...I said I'd like to see more consistency with Radulov

Old
05-16-2017, 06:35 PM
get25

vCash: 788
Given what he did at 21 years old with little PP TOI in his first NHL season + his game during PO, I see him as a top-6.

We have Shaw, Byron, Lekhonen, Radulov, Pacioretty, Gallagher to play on our top-9.

Old
05-16-2017, 07:25 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
He said he'd like to see more consistency with Lehkonen...I said I'd like to see more consistency with Radulov
So Radulov had his worse streak of 6 games without a point compared to Lehkonen who went 6, 8 and at his worse 17 games without a point. So glad you want more consistency out of Radulov, every single player in the NHL can use more consistency.

None the less Radulov is a top6 forward, even with his, in your eyes "inconsistencies"... However Lehkonen was actually very inconsistent when analyzing the data. He will need to be more consistent if he wants a top6 role.

Do you ever get tired of being a smart ass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by get25 View Post
Given what he did at 21 years old with little PP TOI in his first NHL season + his game during PO, I see him as a top-6.

We have Shaw, Byron, Lekhonen, Radulov, Pacioretty, Gallagher to play on our top-9.
I also see him as a player with potential to be a top6, as early as next season. However wouldn't you agree that it would be wise to bring in a veteran on a one year deal to add depth and have a player like Lehkonen battle for ice time? I like seeing players earn their ice time with actual NHL caliber players. I think it would be good for his progress. Now if we had MT as coach, I would be very much against this philosophy as we all know how MT love his veterans, in fact I think CJ is a bit like that... I hope he has changed.

Old
05-17-2017, 06:38 AM
HabsGorgeous
Loyal Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by get25 View Post

Add Galchenyuk. I also would like to see Hudon get a shot. Lehkonen got his shot last year and Hudon deserves a top 9 shot. He's got vision and he may just help up offensively. His AHL #'s are very good and he has 4pts in 6 NHL games playing on the 4th line with grinders. Scherbak likely plays another season in the AHL.

We have lots of options on the wings. Assets can be moved to help our depth at center (including our future picks).

We need Radulov back. Losing him and trying to replace him will be a step backwards more likely. We have almost 0 forward momentum in team confidence from the 1st round lost... Losing Radulov would be a negative for this organization and most of us agree. This organization needs some positive news and good vibes heading into next year.

Old
05-17-2017, 04:42 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Radulov was our most consistent forward all year. Even when he wasn't scoring he was working hard and making things happen.

Almost every single other forward on the team would improve drastically if they were as consistent as Radulov.

Old
05-17-2017, 04:50 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Radulov was injured though. When he came back fully healthy he returned as the good Radu. In the playoffs, he was our best offensive forward, not even close.

Old
05-17-2017, 04:56 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Radulov was our most consistent forward all year. Even when he wasn't scoring he was working hard and making things happen.

Almost every single other forward on the team would improve drastically if they were as consistent as Radulov.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Radulov was injured though. When he came back fully healthy he returned as the good Radu. In the playoffs, he was our best offensive forward, not even close.
He's just being a jerk because the discussion wasn't going his way.

Old
05-17-2017, 05:39 PM
covfefe
truth detective

Quote:
The same could be said about every one of our players this season.....

Old
05-17-2017, 08:16 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxygen View Post
The same could be said about anyone playing a game/sport. Even Ronaldo and Messi go games without scoring. Even Crosby and Malkin go games without registering a point.

Crosby started the 15-16 season with no points in 5 straight games, so inconsistent right?

Old
05-18-2017, 01:25 AM
get25

Quote:
So Radulov had his worse streak of 6 games without a point compared to Lehkonen who went 6, 8 and at his worse 17 games without a point. So glad you want more consistency out of Radulov, every single player in the NHL can use more consistency.

None the less Radulov is a top6 forward, even with his, in your eyes "inconsistencies"... However Lehkonen was actually very inconsistent when analyzing the data. He will need to be more consistent if he wants a top6 role.

I also see him as a player with potential to be a top6, as early as next season. However wouldn't you agree that it would be wise to bring in a veteran on a one year deal to add depth and have a player like Lehkonen battle for ice time? I like seeing players earn their ice time with actual NHL caliber players. I think it would be good for his progress. Now if we had MT as coach, I would be very much against this philosophy as we all know how MT love his veterans, in fact I think CJ is a bit like that... I hope he has changed.
Hudon has to play or he will be picked up on waivers.

Se we have Radulov, Patches and Gallagher as sure top-6.
Lehkonen, Byron, Shaw, Hudon can fight for the remaining top-6 spot and two spots on top-9. Maybe we could sign Vrbata for 1-1.5M...
With Galchenyuk, Danault, Plekanec, Mitchell and DLR we have 5 more players that needs to go through waivers.

So Vrbata would be signed as our 13th NHL contract and McCarron would be sent to AHL?
Maybe.

Old
05-18-2017, 08:11 AM
7 day theory

Quote:
Quote:
If you think 'consistency' is just about getting points rather than HOW you play in addition to point totals, then I don't know what say? Radulov played a ton more than Lehkonen, in a lot more advantageous roles to produce points, so none of this is surprising...

Some prefer the low hanging fruit I guess

Quote:
I never said otherwise and agreed that Lehkonen will have to be more consistent in terms of producing points, but that will come with more icetime/responsibility. However, I'd argue in terms of how he played every game, there were fewer players more consistent on the Habs than Lehkonen was this year.

Quote:
Only one way to find out...stick around I guess
Quote:
Not necessarily, no. I guess it depends on who that veteran is, I assume if he's coming on a 1yr deal, he's a "past his prime" veteran signed on a 1 year "prove it" type of deal...

No thanks, i'd rather allow Lehkonen the icetime he needs to develop, then to allow another past his prime veteran usurp icetime from him. Haven't we had enough of this happen over the years.

Old
05-18-2017, 08:14 AM
7 day theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post

that's debatable IMO...but no doubt his effort level was pretty consistent throughout the year, even though IMO, there are warts in his game that concern me.

specifically his unwillingness to get shots on net...it makes him extremely predictable and it actually hurts his linemates more than it helps them. In 76 games he finished with 147 shots on goal, that's less than 2 shots per game, which as the #1RW, is unacceptable.

Last edited by 417: 05-18-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old
05-18-2017, 08:15 AM
7 day theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
His playoffs this year could of been broken down in 2 parts...

the first 3 games he was very good, the last 3 games, he was invisible,

I think Lehkonen was our best player in the playoffs this year

Old
05-18-2017, 08:16 AM
7 day theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxygen View Post
exactly...but i'm not the one who argued that he'd like to see more consistency from Lehkonen before pencilling him in as a top 6 player.

Old
05-26-2017, 07:33 PM
get25

Does not seems this has been posted:
http://thehockeywriters.com/montreal...fford-radulov/

Discuss.

Old
05-26-2017, 07:43 PM
Belial

vCash: 50
That article is skewed, we can easily get everybody under the cap even if Radulov is signed for 7.5M.

Old
05-26-2017, 10:16 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post
That article is skewed, we can easily get everybody under the cap even if Radulov is signed for 7.5M.
Yeah, sounds like something doesn't add up. But I'm too lazy to do the job that the author should have done in the first place. I'm just pretty sure his math can't be right. He's looking at the worst case scenario which will not happen.

Closed Thread