HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

13 scouts for Pittsburgh-Carolina game

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Doghouse

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Doghouse
13 scouts for Pittsburgh-Carolina game

A basically meaningless game between the two bottom teams from last year got huge attention last night.

13 scouts from 13 teams (Sens, Sabres, Avalanche, Kings just to name a few) were in attendance for the game.

What does this mean?

Are the Penguins or the Canes being looked at?

Here's the link:
http://www.post-gazette.com/penguins...slog1023p5.asp

Old
10-22-2003, 09:12 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse
A basically meaningless game between the two bottom teams from last year got huge attention last night.

13 scouts from 13 teams (Sens, Sabres, Avalanche, Kings just to name a few) were in attendance for the game.

What does this mean?

Here's the link:

Judging by the performance by Carolina, definately. Anyone other than Staal and Cole would probably be available i think.

Old
10-22-2003, 09:29 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
Judging by the performance by Carolina, definately. Anyone other than Staal and Cole would probably be available i think.
I think Jeff O'Neil and/or Rod Brind'amour may very well be on their way out....they definately are very good overall players that would help any team

Old
10-22-2003, 09:48 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

I think Brind'Amour or O'Neill will end up in LA.

They have the resources( i.e. prospects) to pull it off.

Old
10-23-2003, 02:54 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Joe
Maybe O'Neill, I doubt Brind'Amour though . Unless they decide to put him or Stumpel on the 3rd line .
Stumpel?

And anyways, I HIGHLY doubt Brind'amour is on his way out. GREAT player IMO, and is locked up long term, and will become captain once Francis retires.

Old
10-23-2003, 03:02 AM
Holly Gunning

It's early in the year, pro scouts want to get a look at everyone and teams want to do advance scouting of teams. I wouldn't make too much of it. There were a bunch of scouts at the ATL/NYI game last week too, but no trades came of it.

Old
10-23-2003, 03:16 AM
Spezza

I'm pretty sure O'Neill would get a lot of attention if he was available. But as HollyG said maybe there is nothing too it.

Old
10-23-2003, 03:21 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse

What does this mean?

Here's the link:
Sens don't play the Canes and Pens until Nov 20/Nov 22. The Sens would have a big interest in Linda O'Neil in the left #1 position. Oh, wait, that's my interest, the Sens would want Jeff O'Neil as a #1 LW.

Fast skater, sniper, playoff experience, both Sports Forecaster and TSN list him as a possible LW (RW/LW), while McKeens just has him as a RW-C. This (LW) fits the Sens, and they can pair him up with Spezza who can feed him the puck from anywhere on ice.

Before I bombard the board with proposals for O'Neil (either one), I want to ask - do Canes fans want to see pitches for O'Neil or not - could he be on the trading block?

Old
10-23-2003, 05:27 AM
John Flyers Fan

Brind'amour has a no trade clause. Doesn't mean he won't waive it, but it would have to be to a top flight team IMO.

Old
10-23-2003, 05:47 AM
jfont

Awards:
if the kings are going to get a player it would be for a gritty defenseman...the kings are ok at the forward position (though you can always use an o'neil) but they need some depth at defense.

10-23-2003, 06:23 AM
Benji Frank

Maybe the Pens saw MAF's first cheque and though DAMN we can't afford this!!!

Old
10-23-2003, 06:23 AM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
I think Brind'Amour or O'Neill will end up in LA.

They have the resources( i.e. prospects) to pull it off.

I think your wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
Before I bombard the board with proposals for O'Neil (either one), I want to ask - do Canes fans want to see pitches for O'Neil or not - could he be on the trading block?
If O’Neil does get moved it will be for an established NHL play, not a handful of “resources.” If the team continues the blistering pace they’re on now, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go, especially if he struggles (think Kapanen last year).

Old
10-23-2003, 06:36 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. X
I think your wrong.

If O’Neil does get moved it will be for an established NHL play, not a handful of “resources.” If the team continues the blistering pace they’re on now, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go, especially if he struggles (think Kapanen last year).
Well as I said before the season, I expect Carolina to be a weaker team again. I think gys such as Brind'Amour, O'Neil, Hill, Adams, and Hedican will be shopped.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:03 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Brind'amour has a no trade clause. Doesn't mean he won't waive it, but it would have to be to a top flight team IMO.
In last night's game Brind'amour had 25:13 of ice time, and was 23-6 on faceoffs and played 6:30 of ice time shorthanded - this doesn't look like the coach wants to move him.

O'Neil - known not to get along with coach, 15:28 minutes of ice time, still pointless after 5 games.

Joey Tetarenko, 3 shifts, 1:43 ice time, Jesse Boulerice 4 shifts (bonus) 1:59 ice time. Steve McKenna (Pits) 4 shifts, 1:37 of ice time. Guess they got Steve Webb so that McKenna could shadow Tetarenko, while Spider Webb can keep an eye on Bowlofrice.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:22 AM
officeglen

Quote:
I was thinking along the lines of 2 of 4 of Fisher/White/Schastlivy/Smolinski and a pick/prospect for O'Neil.

However until Muckler himself is reported at a Canes game don't expect anything to happen with the Sens.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:40 AM
Hemmer

What about O'Neill for Comrie? Oilers scouts were there too.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:45 AM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Well as I said before the season, I expect Carolina to be a weaker team again. I think gys such as Brind'Amour, O'Neil, Hill, Adams, and Hedican will be shopped.
That's great. The team doesn't play well, so trade away all the good players. Not only will it make them a better team, but attendance should go up with players no one recognizes.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:14 AM
jofa

Ok, I know this is a long shot, but I would love to see O'Neill lace up for the Oilers. The guy has Oiler speed and grit, with the added bonus that he can actually finish the play by putting the puck in the net. Smyth and O'Neill would be perfect complements to one another, as they both play a similar style of game.

His salary is still within (barely) Oiler range at about $4 million, which is pretty much what Edmonton was paying Comrie once all the bonuses were worked in.

Anyway, likely wishful thinking, but I've always loved the idea of O'Neill playing in Edmonton, and it looks like he's been wearing out his welcome in Carolina recently... who knows?

Old
10-23-2003, 10:31 AM
Evilo

Quote:
That's great. The team doesn't play well, so trade away all the good players. Not only will it make them a better team, but attendance should go up with players no one recognizes.
Or maybe it's better to rebuild with an Ovechkin and save the money they will lose by missing the playoffs with a high payroll...

Old
10-23-2003, 10:37 AM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Joe
I hope the Avs are looking at Hedican or Boughner from Carolina .
Boughner is sidelined with a broken hand.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:39 AM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
O'Neil - known not to get along with coach, 15:28 minutes of ice time, still pointless after 5 games.
He took a nasty spill into the boards during practice on Monday. That, along with a few other assorted injuries.

He was questionable to even play last night. That explains for the low ice time.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:40 AM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa
O'Neill looks like he's been wearing out his welcome in Carolina recently... who knows?
Why would you say that?

Old
10-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Quote:
If O’Neil does get moved it will be for an established NHL play, not a handful of “resources.”
You hit the nail on the head. As you all can plainly see, the Hurricanes can barely score a goal as it is. Dealing one of only twelve players in the league with thirty goals per season the last three years, for various odds and ends, simply will not cut it.

Not a doubt in my mind that O'Neill could be dealt, but there would need to be some serious quality coming back.

Old
10-23-2003, 11:58 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov47
He took a nasty spill into the boards during practice on Monday. That, along with a few other assorted injuries.

He was questionable to even play last night. That explains for the low ice time.
His ice time the first game of the season was 15:13 (perhaps not 100% at start too?). His high water mark for the Hurricanes this season was 20:31 (quite good for a forward) on Monday the 13th, when he had a little fit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap
Jeff O'Neill's second-period outburst after another failed power play told the story for the frustrated Carolina Hurricanes on Monday night.

O'Neill slammed his stick against the glass, threw it into the tunnel, broke three more and repeatedly kicked the boards on the bench as Carolina outplayed another opponent only to net a 2-2 tie with the Florida Panthers.

"That was my little conniption for the week,'' said the scoreless O'Neill, one of 12 NHL players to have 30 or more goals each of the last three seasons. "I think the fans were quite amused by it.

"I don't lose it like that very often but I wanted to break every stick in that rack, including ones that I didn't own.''

Roberto Luongo stopped 33 shots to keep Carolina winless and O'Neill frustrated.

"There is pressure on him to score, there is pressure on him to produce,'' coach Paul Maurice said of O'Neill. "He understands that. I don't mind seeing that burst of emotion as long as it's not all emotion on the bench and nothing on the ice.

"At least he's banging, he's hitting. He needs to play with that fire. I would much rather have that than him moping on the bench.''
See: AP report

Old
10-23-2003, 01:45 PM
Seabass
Onward and Upward

Send a message via AIM to Seabass
I'm pretty sure that they must've gotten the memo on Steve McKenna's return.

Closed Thread