HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Old
03-27-2017, 04:54 AM
The Old Guy
Who Are Those Guys?

vCash: 50
Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

No, he's not getting traded. No, he's not currently up for a new contract. No, we don't need a special cyberspace for all us 5th Liners to complain about his play.

Look....if both 3rd pairing D-men can have their own thread (Murray/Nutivaara), we can certainly make some space for a guy having the best season of his life and our 16/17 MVP.

Discuss............

Last edited by The Old Guy: 03-27-2017 at 05:42 AM. Reason: I effed up my speling
The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 05:45 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Dystopian Nightmare

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Guy View Post
Discuss............
There's really not much to discuss. He is the team. Might as well change the team's name to the Columbus Bobrovsky's

03-27-2017, 06:00 AM
major major

If Columbus was Montreal he'd be in the Hart trophy conversation.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 06:04 AM
EspenK

Right now he is healthy and on fire. As long as he stays that way Jackets are fine. Either or both go south, even a bit during this goal drought, Jackets are in trouble.

Only real question about him in my mind is his contract renewal 2 years down the line. If he demands much more than 8 - 8.5 I think I would pass and say have a good career elsewhere. Term will also be a consideration. I don't think anything more than maybe 4 years will be warranted. Lots can happen between then and now but all things playing out as I expect in terms of cap growth I think his contract will be very much the topic of conversation.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 06:43 AM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Right now he is healthy and on fire. As long as he stays that way Jackets are fine. Either or both go south, even a bit during this goal drought, Jackets are in trouble.

Only real question about him in my mind is his contract renewal 2 years down the line. If he demands much more than 8 - 8.5 I think I would pass and say have a good career elsewhere. Term will also be a consideration. I don't think anything more than maybe 4 years will be warranted. Lots can happen between then and now but all things playing out as I expect in terms of cap growth I think his contract will be very much the topic of conversation.
He's having a fantastic year. With respect to the next contract, I'm fine with paying the man if he is willing to take a 3 or 4 year contract. Term is the big issue. I'm not a fan of an 8-year Lundquist-type contact.

Edit: just realized he has two more years on his contact, I thought it was one. We can deal with the next contract issue in the summer of 2018. I'm just going to enjoy the ride for now.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 07:11 AM
MoeBartoli
Chex-to-Jax

Not only our team MVP, but maybe the league MVP. I expect him to haul away the Vezina, but also believe he should be in the discussion for the Hart.

MoeBartoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 07:41 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

I think he's turned a pretty good team into a great team (so far this year ) and deserves to be recognized for it.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 09:01 AM
BoonesJenner

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I think he's turned a pretty good team into a great team (so far this year ) and deserves to be recognized for it.
Give that man a cup already!

BoonesJenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 09:03 AM
Harambae

might be my vezina front runner right now even in front of holtby

Harambae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 09:59 AM
DarkandStormy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harambae View Post
might be my vezina front runner right now even in front of holtby
Wow #hot #taek considering he has a better save percentage (.934 to .927) and better GAA (1.99 to 2.01) and more wins in the same number of starts (40 to 39). You mean the goalie with the better statistics "might be" your Vezina front-runner? Woah.

DarkandStormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

I'm glad his hardwork has paid off. I hate leaning on him, but we just aren't playing well right now in front of him.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Saad Panda

Quote:

He'll be 30 when his next contract kicks in, so term is certainly something that could be worrisome considering, as you mentioned, his health. However, I believe Bob has learned a lot about his body over the past few years, and because of this I think he can be the player we know he can be on a regular basis.

Clearly he is an upper-echelon athlete even by professional sports standards, so there's reason to believe that he could play until he's almost 40, but he's going to need every ounce of health in the next 2 years to prove that he is worth the term. At this point, 4 years would be my max too, but if he can stay at this level consistently before he renews his contract, I'd probably be ok with giving him 6-7 years.

Saad Panda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 10:39 AM
DarkandStormy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad Panda View Post

Clearly he is an upper-echelon athlete even by professional sports standards, so there's reason to believe that he could play until he's almost 40
There have been 18 goalies ever to play over the age of 40 in the NHL. I posted this in another thread where contract extensions came up, but Bob makes a lot of stellar saves because of his athleticism and flexibility. He's already on the downside of his athletic prime, and it's only going to get more pronounced when he gets on the other side of 30. Lundqvist's stats have all gotten worse since he turned 30.

That doesn't mean we don't see a crazy run like Tim Thomas or Hasek put on at the of their careers from time to time, but to get consistent Top 5 goaltending across multiple seasons, it just doesn't happen for guys in their 30s.

It's very early to project out what will happen in 2019. We'll have to wait and see what happens with Bob, the prospects, drafting, etc. to get the full picture by then. I just can't imagine the FO giving him a long-term deal as he reaches the twilight of his "prime" and moves into the next phase of his career, where it will be nearly impossible for him to live up to the value of his contract if it's at or above his current AAV.

DarkandStormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 11:04 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

His play of late has muted some of the contract grumblings.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 11:34 AM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

Bobo is fire emoji .jpeg

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 11:39 AM
Forepar

Quote:

If he follows this year with 2 similar years (maybe not same stats, but same elite level of play), he will get $10M +. The cap will likely be up another $8-10M in 2 more years. Unless Korpi has shown he is absolutely ready for beast mode, no team, let alone CBJ, is going to jettison their franchise player just as the core gets into its prime. I agree with you on limited term, but not on price.

Forepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 11:52 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
His play of late has muted some of the contract grumblings.
Wait, there's people still grumbling about his contract? He's providing about $12m in value to the club this year!

Think about it this way: a shooter has a 6.6% chance of scoring against Bob this year, and an 8.6% chance against an average goalie. That's 30% higher. And about 40-50 goals over 65 games of Bob. That's insane! How many players in the league can account for that much of a difference in goals?

Old
03-27-2017, 11:58 AM
major major

I'm not going to wade too far into next contract debates because a lot can happen in two years. Suffice it to say if he plays like this for the next two years you might as well rename the team the Colombus Bobrovsky's and pay him what it takes.

Old
03-27-2017, 12:01 PM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Wait, there's people still grumbling about his contract? He's providing about $12m in value to the club this year!

Think about it this way: a shooter has a 6.6% chance of scoring against Bob this year, and an 8.6% chance against an average goalie. That's 30% higher. And about 40-50 goals over 65 games of Bob. That's insane! How many players in the league can account for that much of a difference in goals?
So basically Bobo is Ovechkin and the average goalie is Matt Calvert?

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 12:24 PM
99 CBJ

According to the Dispatch Bob has been nominated for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy.

99 CBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 12:37 PM
Saad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandStormy View Post
There have been 18 goalies ever to play over the age of 40 in the NHL. I posted this in another thread where contract extensions came up, but Bob makes a lot of stellar saves because of his athleticism and flexibility. He's already on the downside of his athletic prime, and it's only going to get more pronounced when he gets on the other side of 30. Lundqvist's stats have all gotten worse since he turned 30.

That doesn't mean we don't see a crazy run like Tim Thomas or Hasek put on at the of their careers from time to time, but to get consistent Top 5 goaltending across multiple seasons, it just doesn't happen for guys in their 30s.

It's very early to project out what will happen in 2019. We'll have to wait and see what happens with Bob, the prospects, drafting, etc. to get the full picture by then. I just can't imagine the FO giving him a long-term deal as he reaches the twilight of his "prime" and moves into the next phase of his career, where it will be nearly impossible for him to live up to the value of his contract if it's at or above his current AAV.
I layered that post with conjecture about his health, finishing by saying that if he stays healthy and plays well the next two years I'd be fine with paying him until he's 36 or 37, which is almost 40, as I previously stated.

Saad Panda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 02:23 PM
CarolinaBlueJacket

Eh.....He's nothing special

CarolinaBlueJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 07:42 PM
blahblah

If shredding weight has helped keep him healthy this could be sustainable. You should always be concerned about a goalie that has repeat groin/lower body issues.

If he wins the Vezina this season, it will still be legit. No his other one wasn't and you will never convince me otherwise, so don't bother trying. Attacking me for this view will just be trolling at this point, most everyone should know my position on this by now.

I'll be truly sold when he fights his way through some real adversity. It's been a pretty smooth season for him. He admitted that his struggles to start last season were confidence related. He had a subpar month or so, but it wasn't really slump level. We also still need to see how he deals with the playoffs.

Having said that, I wouldn't even consider giving him 9 million or something like on his next contract. It's not Bob, I just have no interest in being the team that hands out the top salary in the league to a goalie (might still be slightly under Lundvqist, we can see his decline - however he is 35).

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 08:52 PM
We Want Two
Gameday Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
If shredding weight has helped keep him healthy this could be sustainable. You should always be concerned about a goalie that has repeat groin/lower body issues.

If he wins the Vezina this season, it will still be legit. No his other one wasn't and you will never convince me otherwise, so don't bother trying. Attacking me for this view will just be trolling at this point, most everyone should know my position on this by now.

I'll be truly sold when he fights his way through some real adversity. It's been a pretty smooth season for him. He admitted that his struggles to start last season were confidence related. He had a subpar month or so, but it wasn't really slump level. We also still need to see how he deals with the playoffs.

Having said that, I wouldn't even consider giving him 9 million or something like on his next contract. It's not Bob, I just have no interest in being the team that hands out the top salary in the league to a goalie (might still be slightly under Lundvqist, we can see his decline - however he is 35).
Why is his other Vezina not legit? Not trolling, just unfamiliar with your position (Shortened season?).

We Want Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 08:54 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want Ten View Post
(Shortened season?).
Ding

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote