HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Favorite Blues enforcer of all time

View Poll Results: Best Blues enforcer of all time?
Tony Twist 26 72.22%
Bob Gassoff 2 5.56%
Todd Ewen 0 0%
Kelly Chase 0 0%
Basil McRae 3 8.33%
Rudy Poeschek 0 0%
Dwight Schofield 0 0%
Barc Plager 1 2.78%
Bob Plager 2 5.56%
Darin Kimble 0 0%
Reed Low 1 2.78%
Brian Sutter 1 2.78%
Jack Carlson 0 0%
Dave Richter 0 0%
Craig Coxe 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2006, 03:12 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
Favorite Blues enforcer of all time

Who is your favorite Blues enforcer of all time. Mine would be Tony Twist simply because he changed the way that teams played against the Note and was considered to be the Champ during part of his tenure.

They have had lots of toughness through the years, going back to the likes of the Plagers, Bob Gassoff may be my choice if I had seen him play he is still a legend in this town.

There are plenty of other names that we could discuss this may be fun to discuss during the dead time with the Olympic break.

Old
02-09-2006, 04:18 PM
polako

basil mcrae....and im not basing this solely on his 100 fighting rating in nhl 93' for sega genesis

one guy that i thought was a pretty incredible fighter was steve mclaren....im not sure how many games he played for the blues though.

Old
02-09-2006, 05:17 PM
St.Louis sports fan

I went with Brian Sutter firstly because he played at the time I went to my first hockey game and secondly because the guy could score also. He was very intimidation on the ice and left no fan without his best effert no matter how bad the score or the team he was on. I used to really love to see him rough up Willie Plett and Al Secord especially.

Old
02-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

thought this looked familiar

Old
02-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmans Domain
After all the great stuff that gets taken from here to there, we're calling in a great idea from there.

I loved Twist, never saw Gassoff - but I'd take Craig Coxe just b/c I think he was the guy responsible for Gretzky getting the only fighting major of his career. (Coxe beat the absolute snot out of Gretzky and the Oilers responded by routing the Blues 9-2 or so that night.)

02-10-2006, 04:31 PM
concept*

Twist, hands down. No other enforcer in St. Louis history has single-handedly brought in crowds. Twist did that. Remember all the Twister memorabilia? Those were the days..

Old
02-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Prussian_Blue

Twist was a beast, but Bob Gassoff was simply the toughest, baddest mofo to ever wear the 'Note.

I had the privilege of seeing Gassoff play as a rookie in Denver with the Spurs of the old Western League, and by December of his rookie year no one would go anywhere near him. When Gassoff got to the NHL, Tiger Williams was supposed to be the king badass, but Gassoff handled him easily.

It's too bad Gassoff's career got cut short by a motorcyle wreck, because he was not only tougher than a Waffle House steak, he was also starting to turn himself into a decent defenseman as well. What could have been...

Gasser

P_B

Old
02-11-2006, 01:39 AM
DaBo

This will end up being the most lopsided poll in history.

Twist was just a monster his second go around with the Blues, that there is no comparison to any other inforcer in the league. Everyone was just afraid of him the last few seasons he played.

Old
02-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Blueski

I hafta agree with Dabo. Twist was a complete barbarian his last years with the Blues. Anytime you beat a guy senseless, then when he tries to go down, pick him back up with one hand to keep beating him...that is Conan-like!

Old
02-13-2006, 03:28 PM
c-carp

Had I saw Gassoff I would have voted for him, I have many friends who saw him that say that he was the best in the history of the Blues and they saw Twister as well.

If I had to do a top 3 only based on guys that I saw it would have been

Twist
Chase
Sutter-Many people forget how tough he was an the fact that he was the last Blues player to lead the NHL in fighting majors

Old
02-13-2006, 03:32 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue
Twist was a beast, but Bob Gassoff was simply the toughest, baddest mofo to ever wear the 'Note.

I had the privilege of seeing Gassoff play as a rookie in Denver with the Spurs of the old Western League, and by December of his rookie year no one would go anywhere near him. When Gassoff got to the NHL, Tiger Williams was supposed to be the king badass, but Gassoff handled him easily.

It's too bad Gassoff's career got cut short by a motorcyle wreck, because he was not only tougher than a Waffle House steak, he was also starting to turn himself into a decent defenseman as well. What could have been...

Gasser

P_B

Did you happen to see the fight with Grant Mulvey of the Hawks? that is one I would love to see a clip of that one. I remember Bruce Affleck describing that fight as one of the best that he had seen.

Also the Blues Alumni played the Hawk Alumni in a charity game at the old barn in 1990 or 91 and that fight was described in the program. The late Dan Kelly spoke very highly of this scrap.

Old
02-13-2006, 03:36 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
After all the great stuff that gets taken from here to there, we're calling in a great idea from there.

I loved Twist, never saw Gassoff - but I'd take Craig Coxe just b/c I think he was the guy responsible for Gretzky getting the only fighting major of his career. (Coxe beat the absolute snot out of Gretzky and the Oilers responded by routing the Blues 9-2 or so that night.)
That would have been a fun game to see because I am sure that Coxe caused a riot with an action like that. Those Oiler teams were loaded with toughness as well. I know Gretz also had a fighting major with Phil Sykes of the Kings. If you ever see the clip of this it is helarious. There was a sort of line brawl and Gretzky was involved with Sykes and not many punches were thrown. The funny part was Jarri Kurri trying to get in and help in a half ***** sort of way.

Old
02-13-2006, 03:37 PM
DeveinedPgBc

easy one.TWISTER.gotta love a good tough prince george boy

Old
02-13-2006, 03:45 PM
c-carp

I am kind of suprised that there is no votes for Rudy Poeschek. I know he didnt play here long but he had some great toe to toe bouts during his tenure.

There are 3 that stand out pretty clearly to me.

He had a great toe to toe bout with Sandy McCarthy when Sandy was still with the Flames and right up there with anyone in the league in regards to fighting. It was a draw in my opinion even though Sandy got the takedown at the end.

Vs Dan Kordic-Another toe to toe war with no defence and Kordic was a very tough man.

Vs Patrick Cote-Cote was playing for the Preds at the time and they went toe to toe (That was the great thing about Rudy to me all of his fights seemed to be toe to toe much like Darin Kimble's) Rudy got the better of this one Bloddying Cote pretty good.

Old
02-13-2006, 03:46 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmans Domain
I dont post there I didnt even know that they had done a poll. Sorry guys.

Closed Thread