HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade ideas

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Fat Elvis

vCash: 500
Trade ideas

Would you think of moving Ebel or Conroy for a guy like Shea Weber? Ebel most likely wouldn't get the deal done imo so something would have to be added. I'm trying to find a team hurting in one area and deep in another. The Preds are deep on D and hurting up the middle. I'm looking towards the future, too much is needed this season for success.

Old
02-09-2006, 05:34 PM
palffytofrovlov

Trade EBEL in a heart beat for Weber.....

Old
02-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Game Misconduct

You guys are nuts! Weber has spent most of the season in the AHL, is -3 in his five NHL games, and you want to trade one of our best penalty killers for him? Conroy should be an all-star this year and is a Selke candidate, and Belanger is a very good defensive player with offensive abilities. I have to tell you, this is just a ludicrous proposal.

Old
02-09-2006, 06:05 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
You guys are nuts! Weber has spent most of the season in the AHL, is -3 in his five NHL games, and you want to trade one of our best penalty killers for him? Conroy should be an all-star this year and is a Selke candidate, and Belanger is a very good defensive player with offensive abilities. I have to tell you, this is just a ludicrous proposal.
ditto on that.

let's talk about players that play in the NHL right now....not some future prospect.

Old
02-09-2006, 06:41 PM
bland

Quote:
Plus, add in the fact that Nashville wouldn't trade Weber for BOTH Belanger and Conroy, and you have no deal.

Weber's the real deal, and they know it.

Old
02-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Fangio

vCash: 50
I think the kings need a scoring winger, a defensive defenseman, a veteran backup goalie, and a new head coach.

One rumor I was told was - Jeremy Roenick to Toronto for Ed Belfour.

Old
02-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I still think that we should do what we could to try and pry either Souray or Komisarek out of Montreal, even if it meant taking Ribiero.

Old
02-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Fat Elvis

OK, so you don't like that one. I understand your point(s). I'm looking for better talent than what LA's got. JR may be untradable at this point. We have little to bargin with since we don't want to trade our best prospects. Miller is breakable, Corvo is a ufa, Ebel rfa or ufa, Army ufa, Matty ufa. We are not trading from strength here. We can stand to get younger. LA needs better talent at almost every position.
MTL looks to be in a similar position as LA. Bubble team not good enough. Neither team can make a single move that would change that.
So you don't like my idea, what's yours?

Old
02-09-2006, 07:41 PM
willie

Quote:
No. You are nuts.

I would trade nearly anybody on our team straight up for Weber. The guy is an absolute stud who is going to be a dominant presence in the future. Think Gleason but better. And likely by a sizable margin too.

He may not be a huge help now - though he would be in our top-6 - but if you get the chance to acquire a player like that, you do it. Of course, the trade proposed is never going to happen so it's a moot point.

Old
02-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Game Misconduct

I haven't really thought about it, but I think our #1 need is a power play quarterback, and our #2 need is a defensively responsible veteran defensemen. Ideally, I'd like to get both in one package with someone like Brad Stuart, but he'd be expensive. I think you'd need to try to identify guys who are going to be UFAs and probably would not re-sign with their existing teams, guys on teams who won't make the playoffs and want to cut payroll, and anyone else likely to be traded. And you'd have to give up something meaningful too.

Old
02-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Osprey

I agree with willie. GM, what are you smoking this fine afternoon? It'd be "ludicrous" to keep Belanger for only one more year instead of getting a stud physical defensive defenseman with his whole career ahead of him. It'd also be ludicrous for Nashville to make that deal (as others have suggested), though, so it's really a moot point. Taylor wouldn't even get Poile's ear unless Belanger and Grebeshkov were offered, and that'd likely just be a start.

Old
02-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie
No. You are nuts.

I would trade nearly anybody on our team straight up for Weber. The guy is an absolute stud who is going to be a dominant presence in the future. Think Gleason but better. And likely by a sizable margin too.

He may not be a huge help now - though he would be in our top-6 - but if you get the chance to acquire a player like that, you do it. Of course, the trade proposed is never going to happen so it's a moot point.
Wow, high praise indeed. I guess we'll see how he develops. You're saying you would trade Conroy for him, really? You think this kid is Phaneuf?

Old
02-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
I agree with willie. GM, what are you smoking this fine afternoon? It'd be "ludicrous" to keep Belanger for only one more year instead of getting a stud physical defensive defenseman with his whole career ahead of him. It'd also be ludicrous for Nashville to make that deal (as others have suggested), though, so it's really a moot point. Taylor wouldn't even get Poile's ear unless Belanger and Grebeshkov were offered.
I don't know why you say only one more year. I would try to extend him. I think Belanger is one of the most underrated and unappreciated players on our team.

Would you also trade Conroy for him?

Old
02-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I proposed this on the trade board, didn't really go over well.

Belanger and Miller for Komisarek and Ribiero.

I'd be more than willing to substitute Corvo in instead of milelr, and I'd probably even throw in a prospect or pick.

Gleason, Komisarek, Petiot would be a stable blueline for many years...

Old
02-09-2006, 08:06 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
if I'm Nashville, I'm not that weak up the middle... in fact... they have about the two best faceoff guys in the NHL...

Believe me... Weber... real deal

Old
02-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Osprey

Quote:
You think this kid is Phaneuf?
He's no Phaneuf, but if you knew that you'd get a another Gleason but likely even better, wouldn't you trade RFA Belanger and likely more?

I'm not sure about Conroy, to answer your question, though something tells me it'd be stupid to not do it. I find it a rather moot point not worth discussing, however, since Conroy isn't going anywhere.

Old
02-09-2006, 08:11 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
I don't know why you say only one more year. I would try to extend him. I think Belanger is one of the most underrated and unappreciated players on our team.

Would you also trade Conroy for him?
Trading Conroy for him is EXACTLY the kind of deal I would do.

Conroy is mid 30s already.

Old
02-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
He's no Phaneuf, but if you knew that you'd get a another Gleason but likely even better, wouldn't you trade a RFA Belanger and likely more?
I think it depends on whether you care about making the playoffs this year. I do, and my goal would be to bring in veterans who can contribute right now. Weber is not going to make the impact I'm looking for THIS YEAR, so I don't make that deal unless I'm throwing in the towel. FWIW, I really liked the Gleason deal when it was made, but we were in a different situation at that time.

Old
02-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
Trading Conroy for him is EXACTLY the kind of deal I would do.

Conroy is mid 30s already.
This does not seem consistent with your constant complaints about the team building for the future too much and never trying to win right now.

Old
02-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I think it depends on whether you care about making the playoffs this year. I do, and my goal would be to bring in veterans who can contribute right now. Weber is not going to make the impact I'm looking for THIS YEAR, so I don't make that deal unless I'm throwing in the towel. FWIW, I really liked the Gleason deal when it was made, but we were in a different situation at that time.

Well the original post did say this trade would be for the future. Because the Kings might be beyond help this season.

Old
02-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
Well the original post did say this trade would be for the future. Because the Kings might be beyond help this season.
Good point. KingElvi, forgive my hyperbole.

Old
02-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Osprey

The Preds' prospect strength is definitely on defense and their weakness is probably at center. The Kings' prospect strength is probably at center and their weakness is definitely on defense. Complementary, huh? I think that a more realistic trade between the two clubs would exchange a Preds D prospect (ex. Weber) for a Kings center prospect (ex. Boyle). Maybe Weber for Boyle and a 3rd? I'd do that.

I doubt that Nashville cares to trade him... but, on the other hand, with the D that they have now and Ryan Suter being ahead of Weber, he may be in a log jam. It might make more sense for them to move a player who may have a tough core to crack in order to fill a need elsewhere.

Last edited by Osprey: 02-09-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old
02-09-2006, 08:30 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
This does not seem consistent with your constant complaints about the team building for the future too much and never trying to win right now.
IMO, they don't have the necessary components to really compete now. The key is to keep the young talent they have now, add more young studs from other teams that really have a chance this season, then let them develop together.

The problem isn't "building for the future" or "win now" - the problem is picking one or the other and STICKING WITH IT instead of flip-flopping back and forth. If you're "building from within", you don't bring in Straka, Carter, Roenick, Quintal, etc.

Old
02-09-2006, 08:31 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Will they throw in Pete Weber too?

Old
02-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
The Preds' prospect strength is definitely on defense and their weakness is probably at center. The Kings' prospect strength is probably at center and their weakness is definitely on defense. Complementary, huh? I think that a more realistic trade between the two clubs would exchange a Preds D prospect (ex. Weber) for a Kings center prospect (ex. Boyle). Maybe Weber for Boyle and a 3rd?

I doubt that Nashville cares to trade him... but, on the other hand, with the D that they have now and Ryan Suter being ahead of Weber, he may be in a log jam. It might make more sense for them to move a player who may have a tough core to crack in order to fill a need elsewhere.
I'm happy to deal a prospect to get Weber, but not Boyle. In fact, he and Kopitar are pretty close to untouchable in my book. The others are all on the table.

Closed Thread