HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade ideas

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Osprey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
I'm happy to deal a prospect to get Weber, but not Boyle. In fact, he and Kopitar are pretty close to untouchable in my book. The others are all on the table.
I'm pretty sure that Weber is untouchable for the Preds, too. It's simply a question of do you swap untouchables? Considering how dry the Kings defensive cupboard is, you absolutely have to consider it, IMO. I wouldn't do it with Kopitar, but anyone else is fair game as long as it gets a very solid defensive prospect. We think that the Kings' defense is bad this season. Imagine how bad it'll be in a few years if the cupboard isn't stocked soon <shudder>.

Old
02-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
I'm pretty sure that Weber is untouchable for the Preds, too. It's simply a question of do you swap untouchables? Considering how dry the Kings defensive cupboard is, you absolutely have to consider it, IMO. I wouldn't do it with Kopitar, but anyone else is fair game as long as it gets a very solid defensive prospect. We think the Kings' defense is bad this season. Imagine how bad it'll be in a few years <shudder>.

Not after they draft Eric Johnson.

Old
02-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Fat Elvis

Weber may be a reach and I was aiming high. Klein may be an altenative choice. The thing with the Preds is that they have many to choose from. The Preds are also a lot closer to competing for the cup THIS season and LA is FAR from that imo. So it does not sound like such a bad idea to trade Conroy+ to get a guy like Weber. IMO we need more than a few vets to get us into serious contention and what do we give up to get these vets. Nash is looking for PP help, so LA adds. Our PP is crap, so what would it hurt.
Conroy+Corvo+Push for Weber+?

Old
02-09-2006, 11:56 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
Weber may be a reach and I was aiming high. Klein may be an altenative choice. The thing with the Preds is that they have many to choose from. The Preds are also a lot closer to competing for the cup THIS season and LA is FAR from that imo. So it does not sound like such a bad idea to trade Conroy+ to get a guy like Weber. IMO we need more than a few vets to get us into serious contention and what do we give up to get these vets. Nash is looking for PP help, so LA adds. Our PP is crap, so what would it hurt.
Conroy+Corvo+Push for Weber+?
I would not trade Corvo for Weber straight up.

Old
02-10-2006, 02:08 AM
Osprey

Quote:
I would not trade Corvo for Weber straight up.
GM: our resident comedian

Old
02-10-2006, 02:18 AM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
GM: our resident comedian
I'm quite serious, actually. Our power play totally sucks, and you want to trade one of our only d-men who can get the puck on net? He's already got 12 goals this year (6 on the power play), and his defense has improved considerably, as evidenced by his +/- rating.

And the idea of trading Conroy for Weber is absurd. This guy is our best defensive forward, and he's proven that he's a legitimate #1 center. I don't care how good you guys think Weber is. You don't trade a #1 center like Conroy for a prospect who is projected to be a defensive defenseman, no matter how good you think he'll eventually be.

I can understand trading Belanger for him, but I wouldn't do it because I think he's a lot better than you guys give him credit for.

Old
02-10-2006, 07:05 AM
willie

Quote:
I'm quite serious, actually. Our power play totally sucks, and you want to trade one of our only d-men who can get the puck on net? He's already got 12 goals this year (6 on the power play), and his defense has improved considerably, as evidenced by his +/- rating.
I've got few issues with Corvo - who I consider to be a top notch third pairing defenseman - but I would personally fly to LA just to bring him to the airport in a deal for Weber. One is a good #5 defenseman who is a pending UFA due for a big raise. The other is a budding young stalwart who is the best bet to be the next generation's Adam Foote. I would do that deal in a nanosecond.

Sure our PP takes a hit this year. But, it isn't like we are on the verge of a Cup here. Adding Weber would be a tremendous addition to our future, especially since we are relatively thin on defense. But Nashville isn't trading him.

As for Conroy, I wouldn't do that deal but it has little to do with value. A Conroy for Weber swap just doesn't make sense for a multitude of reasons, both on and off the ice. But if we were out of the playoff picture, I wouldn't think twice.

And, I still think you are crazy concerning Belanger. I love the guy but he is a due for a big raise. Factoring in the opportunity cost of signing him, it might be in the best interest of the team to deal him at some point anyway. And in a swap for Weber, frankly, any GM would be bordering on insanity not to pull the trigger. I really don't think you appreciate Weber's talents.

Old
02-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Fat Elvis

GM, where we differ is our opinion on what direction the team is going in. I'm trying to think ahead and towards the next few seasons and you're trying to help the team this season. IMO we need too much this season to seriously compete(a top sixer,pp qb and defensive help), not easy to come by and not cheap. We have quite a few ufa's and rfa's looking for big raises. Are they worth keeping or giving raises to? Not all of them.
This may be a good chance to get some of these young studs from teams competing this season for our aging vets and fa's. LA needs to start in a direction and go there. This crap of waiting and waiting for many different reasons is just a plan for failure. We need better talant all the way around. Losing Corvo or Conroy or Ebel to better that talent is not a bad idea for the future of this team. Does it hurt today? You bet , but have you seen our team lately?

Old
02-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
have you seen our team lately?
Sure. Did you see the same team earlier in the season?

Old
02-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie
I really don't think you appreciate Weber's talents.
True!

Old
02-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Sure. Did you see the same team earlier in the season?
I did, what do you think has changed? Same players, same coaches, same system. Not a good team this year, players fighting, coaches and players talking to the papers about each other, huge scoring slumps by everyone, special team death. The truth is that LA can be playing the hockey it should be playing with this team. What's not to say that they just started the season way over their collective heads and are just now starting to play as good as they should be? . It makes sense, you may have to read it a few times.

Old
02-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
I did, what do you think has changed? Same players, same coaches, same system. Not a good team this year, players fighting, coaches and players talking to the papers about each other, huge scoring slumps by everyone, special team death. The truth is that LA can be playing the hockey it should be playing with this team. What's not to say that they just started the season way over their collective heads and are just now starting to play as good as they should be? . It makes sense, you may have to read it a few times.
I don't question that you have a legitimate point of view. All I'm trying to say is that we know these players are capable of winning. I think the problem is the coaching staff, not the players. I also think there is plenty of time to right the ship, provided that ownership acts quickly.

Old
02-10-2006, 01:12 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I don't question that you have a legitimate point of view. All I'm trying to say is that we know these players are capable of winning. I think the problem is the coaching staff, not the players. I also think there is plenty of time to right the ship, provided that ownership acts quickly.

I actually agree with you on this matter GM. I think these players are actually very good and could actually be good in the playoffs. I believe the inadequate coaching will prevent this though. The only way this team can prevent missing the playoffs is to install a completely new coaching staff before the trade deadline. If it is done after that it might not be enough time to "right the ship".

Old
02-10-2006, 01:18 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
I actually agree with you on this matter GM. I think these players are actually very good and could actually be good in the playoffs. I believe the inadequate coaching will prevent this though. The only way this team can prevent missing the playoffs is to install a completely new coaching staff before the trade deadline. If it is done after that it might not be enough time to "right the ship".
If Tubby's right, it might just happen.

Old
02-10-2006, 01:19 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
the time is now. the olympic break is a perfect cushion. we'd only have about 4 - 5 players gone

Old
02-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
If Tubby's right, it might just happen.
Tubby is talking about a new GM, not necessarily a new staff (although they are not inconsistent with one another).

Old
02-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Tubby is talking about a new GM, not necessarily a new staff (although they are not inconsistent with one another).
GMs love to pick their own coaches (look at Burke in Anaheim) and if a new GM came in early enough to potentially turn the team around and make the playoffs, he'd certainly make a change, IMO. Replacing just the GM will do very little (almost nothing) for a club in the short term. Knowing when to replace the coach, however, is one of his biggest responsibilities and a new GM wouldn't hesitate to make his mark quickly, IMO. I know that you're not disagreeing with this; I'm just adding to the discussion.

Old
02-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Fat Elvis

Well, then I'm in the minority that thinks this team just isn't that good to begin with. I have been saying from the start of the season that our D is lousy. LA can only go as far as the D allows.
As far as the coaching staff goes , I can't drink enough to make me feel good about this staff. However, a new staff would have a different approach and shake things up. But the D still sucks. We need better players on O. LA puts zero fear in opponents and until That changes LA will just be another team on their calender. This team needs a fire and there is so little emotion coming from 75% of the players that's there's no wonder why Avery gets pissed at his teammates. Show some life, show some heart, show some fierce competitivness, some something. So yes I agree about a new staff. But the D still sucks.

Old
02-10-2006, 04:36 PM
ILuvLA

This team has the talent. I'm not saying that there aren't any holes, because we all know that there are. The issue is that it appears that the players have tuned out the coaches. AM's methods have worked well the last couple of years, but face it, we most had young guys filling the injury holes. This year, there are a lot more vets. AM's methods don't appear to work with guys who have been around and already know how to play the game successfully.

Closed Thread