HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade ideas

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2006, 08:38 PM
  #26
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
I'm happy to deal a prospect to get Weber, but not Boyle. In fact, he and Kopitar are pretty close to untouchable in my book. The others are all on the table.
I'm pretty sure that Weber is untouchable for the Preds, too. It's simply a question of do you swap untouchables? Considering how dry the Kings defensive cupboard is, you absolutely have to consider it, IMO. I wouldn't do it with Kopitar, but anyone else is fair game as long as it gets a very solid defensive prospect. We think that the Kings' defense is bad this season. Imagine how bad it'll be in a few years if the cupboard isn't stocked soon <shudder>.

Osprey is offline  
Old
02-09-2006, 08:42 PM
  #27
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
I'm pretty sure that Weber is untouchable for the Preds, too. It's simply a question of do you swap untouchables? Considering how dry the Kings defensive cupboard is, you absolutely have to consider it, IMO. I wouldn't do it with Kopitar, but anyone else is fair game as long as it gets a very solid defensive prospect. We think the Kings' defense is bad this season. Imagine how bad it'll be in a few years <shudder>.

Not after they draft Eric Johnson.

Captain Ron is offline  
Old
02-09-2006, 10:07 PM
  #28
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,393
vCash: 500
Weber may be a reach and I was aiming high. Klein may be an altenative choice. The thing with the Preds is that they have many to choose from. The Preds are also a lot closer to competing for the cup THIS season and LA is FAR from that imo. So it does not sound like such a bad idea to trade Conroy+ to get a guy like Weber. IMO we need more than a few vets to get us into serious contention and what do we give up to get these vets. Nash is looking for PP help, so LA adds. Our PP is crap, so what would it hurt.
Conroy+Corvo+Push for Weber+?

Fat Elvis is offline  
Old
02-09-2006, 11:56 PM
  #29
Game Misconduct
Registered User
 
Game Misconduct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
Weber may be a reach and I was aiming high. Klein may be an altenative choice. The thing with the Preds is that they have many to choose from. The Preds are also a lot closer to competing for the cup THIS season and LA is FAR from that imo. So it does not sound like such a bad idea to trade Conroy+ to get a guy like Weber. IMO we need more than a few vets to get us into serious contention and what do we give up to get these vets. Nash is looking for PP help, so LA adds. Our PP is crap, so what would it hurt.
Conroy+Corvo+Push for Weber+?
I would not trade Corvo for Weber straight up.

Game Misconduct is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 02:08 AM
  #30
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
I would not trade Corvo for Weber straight up.
GM: our resident comedian

Osprey is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 02:18 AM
  #31
Game Misconduct
Registered User
 
Game Misconduct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
GM: our resident comedian
I'm quite serious, actually. Our power play totally sucks, and you want to trade one of our only d-men who can get the puck on net? He's already got 12 goals this year (6 on the power play), and his defense has improved considerably, as evidenced by his +/- rating.

And the idea of trading Conroy for Weber is absurd. This guy is our best defensive forward, and he's proven that he's a legitimate #1 center. I don't care how good you guys think Weber is. You don't trade a #1 center like Conroy for a prospect who is projected to be a defensive defenseman, no matter how good you think he'll eventually be.

I can understand trading Belanger for him, but I wouldn't do it because I think he's a lot better than you guys give him credit for.

Game Misconduct is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 07:05 AM
  #32
willie
Registered User
 
willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
I'm quite serious, actually. Our power play totally sucks, and you want to trade one of our only d-men who can get the puck on net? He's already got 12 goals this year (6 on the power play), and his defense has improved considerably, as evidenced by his +/- rating.
I've got few issues with Corvo - who I consider to be a top notch third pairing defenseman - but I would personally fly to LA just to bring him to the airport in a deal for Weber. One is a good #5 defenseman who is a pending UFA due for a big raise. The other is a budding young stalwart who is the best bet to be the next generation's Adam Foote. I would do that deal in a nanosecond.

Sure our PP takes a hit this year. But, it isn't like we are on the verge of a Cup here. Adding Weber would be a tremendous addition to our future, especially since we are relatively thin on defense. But Nashville isn't trading him.

As for Conroy, I wouldn't do that deal but it has little to do with value. A Conroy for Weber swap just doesn't make sense for a multitude of reasons, both on and off the ice. But if we were out of the playoff picture, I wouldn't think twice.

And, I still think you are crazy concerning Belanger. I love the guy but he is a due for a big raise. Factoring in the opportunity cost of signing him, it might be in the best interest of the team to deal him at some point anyway. And in a swap for Weber, frankly, any GM would be bordering on insanity not to pull the trigger. I really don't think you appreciate Weber's talents.

willie is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 09:46 AM
  #33
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,393
vCash: 500
GM, where we differ is our opinion on what direction the team is going in. I'm trying to think ahead and towards the next few seasons and you're trying to help the team this season. IMO we need too much this season to seriously compete(a top sixer,pp qb and defensive help), not easy to come by and not cheap. We have quite a few ufa's and rfa's looking for big raises. Are they worth keeping or giving raises to? Not all of them.
This may be a good chance to get some of these young studs from teams competing this season for our aging vets and fa's. LA needs to start in a direction and go there. This crap of waiting and waiting for many different reasons is just a plan for failure. We need better talant all the way around. Losing Corvo or Conroy or Ebel to better that talent is not a bad idea for the future of this team. Does it hurt today? You bet , but have you seen our team lately?

Fat Elvis is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 11:42 AM
  #34
Game Misconduct
Registered User
 
Game Misconduct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
have you seen our team lately?
Sure. Did you see the same team earlier in the season?

Game Misconduct is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 11:43 AM
  #35
Game Misconduct
Registered User
 
Game Misconduct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie
I really don't think you appreciate Weber's talents.
True!

Game Misconduct is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 12:11 PM
  #36
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
Sure. Did you see the same team earlier in the season?
I did, what do you think has changed? Same players, same coaches, same system. Not a good team this year, players fighting, coaches and players talking to the papers about each other, huge scoring slumps by everyone, special team death. The truth is that LA can be playing the hockey it should be playing with this team. What's not to say that they just started the season way over their collective heads and are just now starting to play as good as they should be? . It makes sense, you may have to read it a few times.

Fat Elvis is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 01:06 PM
  #37
Game Misconduct
Registered User
 
Game Misconduct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
I did, what do you think has changed? Same players, same coaches, same system. Not a good team this year, players fighting, coaches and players talking to the papers about each other, huge scoring slumps by everyone, special team death. The truth is that LA can be playing the hockey it should be playing with this team. What's not to say that they just started the season way over their collective heads and are just now starting to play as good as they should be? . It makes sense, you may have to read it a few times.
I don't question that you have a legitimate point of view. All I'm trying to say is that we know these players are capable of winning. I think the problem is the coaching staff, not the players. I also think there is plenty of time to right the ship, provided that ownership acts quickly.

Game Misconduct is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 01:12 PM
  #38
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
I don't question that you have a legitimate point of view. All I'm trying to say is that we know these players are capable of winning. I think the problem is the coaching staff, not the players. I also think there is plenty of time to right the ship, provided that ownership acts quickly.

I actually agree with you on this matter GM. I think these players are actually very good and could actually be good in the playoffs. I believe the inadequate coaching will prevent this though. The only way this team can prevent missing the playoffs is to install a completely new coaching staff before the trade deadline. If it is done after that it might not be enough time to "right the ship".

Captain Ron is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 01:18 PM
  #39
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
I actually agree with you on this matter GM. I think these players are actually very good and could actually be good in the playoffs. I believe the inadequate coaching will prevent this though. The only way this team can prevent missing the playoffs is to install a completely new coaching staff before the trade deadline. If it is done after that it might not be enough time to "right the ship".
If Tubby's right, it might just happen.

kingsfan25 is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 01:19 PM
  #40
swinginutter*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
I actually agree with you on this matter GM. I think these players are actually very good and could actually be good in the playoffs. I believe the inadequate coaching will prevent this though. The only way this team can prevent missing the playoffs is to install a completely new coaching staff before the trade deadline. If it is done after that it might not be enough time to "right the ship".
the time is now. the olympic break is a perfect cushion. we'd only have about 4 - 5 players gone

swinginutter* is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 01:21 PM
  #41
Game Misconduct
Registered User
 
Game Misconduct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
If Tubby's right, it might just happen.
Tubby is talking about a new GM, not necessarily a new staff (although they are not inconsistent with one another).

Game Misconduct is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 04:05 PM
  #42
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
Tubby is talking about a new GM, not necessarily a new staff (although they are not inconsistent with one another).
GMs love to pick their own coaches (look at Burke in Anaheim) and if a new GM came in early enough to potentially turn the team around and make the playoffs, he'd certainly make a change, IMO. Replacing just the GM will do very little (almost nothing) for a club in the short term. Knowing when to replace the coach, however, is one of his biggest responsibilities and a new GM wouldn't hesitate to make his mark quickly, IMO. I know that you're not disagreeing with this; I'm just adding to the discussion.

Osprey is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 04:05 PM
  #43
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,393
vCash: 500
Well, then I'm in the minority that thinks this team just isn't that good to begin with. I have been saying from the start of the season that our D is lousy. LA can only go as far as the D allows.
As far as the coaching staff goes , I can't drink enough to make me feel good about this staff. However, a new staff would have a different approach and shake things up. But the D still sucks. We need better players on O. LA puts zero fear in opponents and until That changes LA will just be another team on their calender. This team needs a fire and there is so little emotion coming from 75% of the players that's there's no wonder why Avery gets pissed at his teammates. Show some life, show some heart, show some fierce competitivness, some something. So yes I agree about a new staff. But the D still sucks.

Fat Elvis is offline  
Old
02-10-2006, 04:36 PM
  #44
ILuvLA
Registered User
 
ILuvLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lost in LA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 500
This team has the talent. I'm not saying that there aren't any holes, because we all know that there are. The issue is that it appears that the players have tuned out the coaches. AM's methods have worked well the last couple of years, but face it, we most had young guys filling the injury holes. This year, there are a lot more vets. AM's methods don't appear to work with guys who have been around and already know how to play the game successfully.

ILuvLA is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.