HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

After the Olympics...

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2006, 05:31 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
After the Olympics...

After the games, when Betts and Prucha come back, what do think should and is going to happen with Hossa/Hollweg/Niemenin???? To me, it seems like Hossa is gonna play, if he's not on another team by then. I would like to see Niemo play, his tenacity makes me tolerate his careless penalties at times. What do you guys think?

Old
02-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Not even at the Olympics and we're all 'After the Olympics...'

Gotta love these boards....

Old
02-09-2006, 05:49 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Not even at the Olympics and we're all 'After the Olympics...'

Gotta love these boards....
I saw a thread titled "The next Ovechkin?" on one of these boards. We just got Ovechkin over here in the NHL, and he's what, 21, 22? Let's focus on the current Ovechkin.

Old
02-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock
I saw a thread titled "The next Ovechkin?" on one of these boards. We just got Ovechkin over here in the NHL, and he's what, 21, 22? Let's focus on the current Ovechkin.
The 'Internet Generation'...sing it with me !

Old
02-09-2006, 05:52 PM
DutchShamrock

It's a good question and I'm sure Sather and Renney are putting some serious thought into it. At this moment, there are 14 forwards that deserve to play every night. Seems like every one has a gripe about at least one or two guys, but this past week everybody on the team has chipped in. I wouldn't want to be the one filling out the line up card every game.

I don't know how many players can be carried on the active NHL roster (23?), but I believe that when both return, we will be at least one over. One of Neimenen, Hossa and Hollweg will get into the lineup on any given night if everyone is healthy. Unfortunately, Hollweg is one of the guys that can go to Hartford without passing waivers. He has been scratched of late and I don't think you can justify playing him over Betts or Prucha. It doesn't make sense to have a young guy rot on the bench when he can get big minutes in Hartford... probably the best thing for him in that case. The other option is to waive Orr to make the necessary room and platoon Niemo, Hossa and Hollweg. Option C is make a trade for some prospects or picks. If I'm a bubble guy, I look at every game between now and their return as a tryout. That is not even considering the fact that we don't have a 7th defenseman on the roster.

Old
02-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77
After the games, when Betts and Prucha come back, what do think should and is going to happen with Hossa/Hollweg/Niemenin???? To me, it seems like Hossa is gonna play, if he's not on another team by then. I would like to see Niemo play, his tenacity makes me tolerate his careless penalties at times. What do you guys think?
I don't think Hossa have a spot to loose. He must play really well, we need some toughness on the wings on the 3rd and 4th line...

Old
02-09-2006, 06:02 PM
shoothepuck

Renney's got a tough call to make, the easiest (but not correct) solution is to send Hollweg down because he dosn't have to pass waivers, but it dosn't solve the #'s problem, a trade may be in the works.

Old
02-09-2006, 06:06 PM
eco's bones

I'm not sure what's going to happen. Betts and Ortmeyer are ideally 4th liners that are not going to add a lot to the offense. Unfortunately at least on the pk they mesh with players with a lot more offensive upside. I think Ward is benefiting now with playing with more creative players--putting him back with Betts you might see his offense dry up. Could experiment with new pk tandems. Ortmeyer and Betts. Ward and Moore. Have to make room for Prucha when he's ready to come back. Nieminen has playoff experience---needs to be more physical. Orr is not going to get a sniff in the playoffs. (Playoffs certainly is an odd word for a Ranger fan to be using). As for Hossa and Hollweg it depends. I wouldn't count Ryan out. His kind of grinding game could come in handy in the postseason. Kind of like a Kypreos.

To me the Rangers have to look at this from who they want to carry into the playoffs. Hollweg you could play without a problem. Orr you couldn't.

Last edited by eco's bones: 02-09-2006 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Add a couple lines
Old
02-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Diehardfan419

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
I'm not sure what's going to happen. Betts and Ortmeyer are ideally 4th liners that are not going to add a lot to the offense. Unfortunately at least on the pk they mesh with players with a lot more offensive upside. I think Ward is benefiting now with playing with more creative players--putting him back with Betts you might see his offense dry up. Could experiment with new pk tandems. Ortmeyer and Betts. Ward and Moore. Have to make room for Prucha when he's ready to come back. Nieminen has playoff experience---needs to be more physical. Orr is not going to get a sniff in the playoffs. (Playoffs certainly is an odd word for a Ranger fan to be using). As for Hossa and Hollweg it depends. I wouldn't count Ryan out. His kind of grinding game could come in handy in the postseason. Kind of like a Kypreos.
I agree with most of what u said, although remember that it was Joey Kocur and NOT Kypreos that played almost all of the games in the 94 playoffs. Kypreos only got into one..the cup final game 7.

And Nemo should be traded, IMO. Hollweg looks like he could be a great playoff performer..ala Tucker in Toronto. AND DO NOT EVER WAIVE ORR. Lets develop him.

Old
02-09-2006, 06:20 PM
eco's bones

The Rangers will not play Orr in the playoffs Diehard except in an extreme emergency. If we need that roster spot then Colton has to go down waivers or not.
Nieminen went to the finals last time around and was very effective--that doesn't mean he will this time but there is a little history here. And I was aware of Kypreos sitting out most of the 94 playoffs I was just comparing him to Ryan and Hollweg would give us an added physical dimension. This team does not have a lot of forwards that can grind effectively.

Old
02-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Larry Melnyk

Tough question....With the Rangers proving that they are one of the better teams in the league/east I wouldn't be surprised by a trade or two by mangement to add another D-man and possibly a forward for the POs..maybe B-level prospect and picks, but I wouldn't be surprised to see somebody on the bottom half of the current roster go...And I also wouldn't be surprised if the player traded for is more then a role player (and cost more)

If the team stays the same up front and IF everybody is healthy, I truly think you will see Hollweg sent down (he's the only one that can be sent down without waivers) with Hossa and Niemenin shuffling and Orr waiting around for next year and the occasional goon game...In case of injuries to the bottom 6 and for the POs, Hollweg could easily be recalled...

I really thing we will thin out a forward in exchange for a D-man

Old
02-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Pizza

Too soon to tell. Just have to cross that bridge when we come to it....waiting on the other side is the Fleas, Deb's and Canes. That might shake a few things out.

Old
02-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Edge

Hollweg might be sent down, Rucchin might be traded when Betts/Prucha return.

Too early to tell, though I i think there might be a trade somewhere in the next few weeks. Though I don't expect a blockbuster.

Old
02-10-2006, 01:21 PM
DutchShamrock

Without a trade, there is no way we can keep both Orr and Hollweg on the NHL roster. We aren't going to waive Niemo or Hossa. So if anybody is going to make suggestions with concerning the current roster, don't bother insisting that we keep both. Probably 90% of the board believes that either one should be in every game. How about this:

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Rucchin-Sykora
Ruchinsky-Betts-Ward
Hossa/Niemo-Moore-Ortmeyer

Scratch-Orr, Hossa/Niemo

Hollweg to Hartford. I also couldn't care less if Orr gets waived. At least Hollweg will play every night and get good minutes in Hartford. At least these are good problems to have.

Old
02-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I think this seems to make the most sense out of all the possible scenarios pointed out in this thread:

Sandstrom-Poddubny-C.Wilson
Ogrodnick-Kisio-Mullen
Mckegney-Dionne-Deblois
Erixon-Brooke-Nilan

Scratch - Kulak, Caulfield, Jensen and Lambert

I just don't see any room for Hollweg or Orr

Old
02-10-2006, 01:52 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya
Hollweg to Hartford. I also couldn't care less if Orr gets waived. At least Hollweg will play every night and get good minutes in Hartford. At least these are good problems to have.
I understant the whole "good problems to have argument". However, I do not agree with the result. The net result is that you have a player in Hollweg, who has done EVERYTHING the coaching staff has asked for him to do, played his heart out each and every shift, and in the end, is told that it is not good enough to get a regular 4th line spot. That is not the message that should be sent out.
What is going to happen, is that a competely deserving rookie is going to get shafted becuase the big club has one too many "stopgaps/placeholders".

Old
02-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Melrose_Jr.

The Olympics could change everything. 1 or 2 injuries. The start of slump for someone or positive turning point for somone else. 3 Weeks without the chemistry of the team, without practicing the game strategy, or possibly, practicing at all.

I think you can only talk about what's going to happen after the Olympics.......after the Olympics.

Closed Thread