HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Beer has as much sugar as a jelly donut?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2006, 04:57 PM
  #1
TomWaits
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,488
vCash: 500
Beer has as much sugar as a jelly donut?

My wife was watching a show called "You are what you eat" and this evil nutritionist Gillian McKeith claimed that a pint of beer has as much sugar as a jelly donut. Now being a rather round fellow who has been known to down a pint or two my wife is suddenly concerned about my beer drinking habits!

Does anyone know if this is true or not! Please help

I will be the first to insert a homerest "hmmm beer....hmmmm jelly donut"

here is the show's link
http://www.channel4.com/entertainmen...sites/Y/yawye/

thanks

TomWaits

TomWaits is offline  
Old
02-09-2006, 07:07 PM
  #2
Moon Man*
 
Moon Man*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Humiliation Street
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 10,799
vCash: 500
From brewing my own, I know I dump about 2 Kg into a vat that yields 5-6 dozen beer... maybe more based on pre-bottling taste tests... so someone can do the math based on that if they like.

Moon Man* is offline  
Old
02-09-2006, 07:14 PM
  #3
Bud The Spud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: the dark side
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,270
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Jesus
From brewing my own, I know I dump about 2 Kg into a vat that yields 5-6 dozen beer... maybe more based on pre-bottling taste tests... so someone can do the math based on that if they like.
it = a ****load of sugar.

Beer tastes gross so maybe it needs even more sugar.

I bet rum has more sugar in it than any jelly donut.

Bud The Spud* is offline  
Old
02-09-2006, 07:23 PM
  #4
Roger's Pancreas*
 
Roger's Pancreas*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud The Spud
it = a ****load of sugar.

Beer tastes gross so maybe it needs even more sugar.

I bet rum has more sugar in it than any jelly donut.
It should when you consider the plant it originates from, Sugar Cane. Before I die, I want to try Jamaican rum.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline  
Old
02-09-2006, 07:41 PM
  #5
weaponomega
Registered User
 
weaponomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Jesus
From brewing my own, I know I dump about 2 Kg into a vat that yields 5-6 dozen beer... maybe more based on pre-bottling taste tests... so someone can do the math based on that if they like.

What does homemade newfie beer taste liek?

weaponomega is offline  
Old
02-09-2006, 08:01 PM
  #6
Moon Man*
 
Moon Man*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Humiliation Street
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 10,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponomega
What does homemade newfie beer taste liek?
Changes from brew to brew. Each one is unique to each person, recipe, environment.

My recipe was a sweet, tangy brew early on... I've since kept a sharp eye on how much sugar I use, as more sugar = more carbonation and the bottle caps used to fly off like bullets, and I don't care for sweetness as much as I used to...

nowadays my brew is more crisp and malty, and I don't need safety goggles to open a bottle.

My favourite brew was had at the home of the father of a good friend of mine from high school... but it couldn't truly be called beer. Poured into a glass it was clear like Sprite, and was extremely drinkable. made for a good foundation before hitting the club... especially if prededed by one or two Beamish or Harp.

I keep meaning to try my hand at brewing a stout, but I'm comfortable with my recipe.

Funny thing is, I never had my first taste of 'shine until I moved to Halifax. I'm not going to try making that stuff though, I'd probably blind everyone.

Moon Man* is offline  
Old
02-09-2006, 08:04 PM
  #7
Beatnik
Registered User
 
Beatnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
It's a myth:

"Some recent, popular carbohydrate diet books incorrectly claim that beer has a high glycemic index. They base this on the incorrect belief that beer is high in sugar, or particularly maltose.(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) Beer is made, in part, with malted barley. When the barley malt is first cooked in the brewing process, the resulting liquid contains maltose, which is a sugar. During fermentation, however, yeast consumes the maltose, converting it to alcohol and natural carbonation. Popular beers in fact contain little or no maltose or any other simple sugars."

http://www.flyingfish.com/whatsnew/i...chure31504.pdf



About alcohol:

"Drinking alcohol does not contribute to weight gain, according to scientific medical research"
"Alcohol beverages contain no fat, no cholesterol, and very little sodium."

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Alc...AndWeight.html

Beatnik is offline  
Old
02-09-2006, 08:09 PM
  #8
Moon Man*
 
Moon Man*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Humiliation Street
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 10,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
It's a myth:

"Some recent, popular carbohydrate diet books incorrectly claim that beer has a high glycemic index. They base this on the incorrect belief that beer is high in sugar, or particularly maltose.(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) Beer is made, in part, with malted barley. When the barley malt is first cooked in the brewing process, the resulting liquid contains maltose, which is a sugar. During fermentation, however, yeast consumes the maltose, converting it to alcohol and natural carbonation. Popular beers in fact contain little or no maltose or any other simple sugars."

http://www.flyingfish.com/whatsnew/i...chure31504.pdf



About alcohol:

"Drinking alcohol does not contribute to weight gain, according to scientific medical research"
"Alcohol beverages contain no fat, no cholesterol, and very little sodium."

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Alc...AndWeight.html
I got my doubts about beer not contributing to weight gain, but the yeast does consume alot of the sugars during fermentation...

*shrugs* I can't really compare Molson and Labatts to what I make in my laundry hamper.

Moon Man* is offline  
Old
02-09-2006, 08:52 PM
  #9
Murphy*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SilverCupVille
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 5,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Jesus
I got my doubts about beer not contributing to weight gain, but the yeast does consume alot of the sugars during fermentation...

*shrugs* I can't really compare Molson and Labatts to what I make in my laundry hamper.
Maybe I should share the recipe that was recently passed onto me by a friend.

Very simple to make this legendary drink: SkittleBrauw.

Take a 26er of vodka and a mickey of vodka. Take a bag of skittles. Separate the greens and place in the mickey. Take the rest and place in the 26er. Let dissolve over about 3 days. Voila!

Murphy* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.