HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

How many series do you think NBC will produce in first round?

Old
03-28-2017, 11:48 PM
danderson400

vCash: 500
How many series do you think NBC will produce in first round?

I think five, given that we have a few Canadian teams this year.

danderson400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2017, 12:42 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 2710000
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson400 View Post
I think five, given that we have a few Canadian teams this year.
Until we know the matchups it is impossible to know for sure but while they will carry every first round game on they 5 channels they will use (NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, USA and overflow on NHL Network) they also have to deal with blackouts in the home markets for the first round.

NBC will be locally producing games on CSN outlets in San Jose, Washington and Chicago. If Boston gets in you can expect at least one of the Bruins games to be on NBC to prop up the new channel they started on January 1 (WBTS-LD) which has had a shaky launch. If 2 Canadian teams meet head on in first round which appears possible they will simply use Rogers feed.

NBC is allowed to make some first round games exclusive do it all depends on matchups. The only thing we know for sure is Pierre will be on every night somewhere.

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2017, 03:25 AM
Vamos Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Until we know the matchups it is impossible to know for sure but while they will carry every first round game on they 5 channels they will use (NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, USA and overflow on NHL Network) they also have to deal with blackouts in the home markets for the first round.

NBC will be locally producing games on CSN outlets in San Jose, Washington and Chicago. If Boston gets in you can expect at least one of the Bruins games to be on NBC to prop up the new channel they started on January 1 (WBTS-LD) which has had a shaky launch. If 2 Canadian teams meet head on in first round which appears possible they will simply use Rogers feed.

NBC is allowed to make some first round games exclusive do it all depends on matchups. The only thing we know for sure is Pierre will be on every night somewhere.
Just curious, if none of the CSN-affiliated teams hypothetically didn't make the playoffs, how would NBC deal with the broadcasts? We all know how they're tight on a budget when they just use local CSN feeds as their nationally televised games.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2017, 09:55 AM
danderson400

I'm all for NBC using the Rogers feed- unless it's the Montreal or Edmonton crews.

Old
03-29-2017, 07:51 PM
danderson400

Has NBC ever simulcast two feeds from Canada before? the way the matchups look they might do that.

Old
03-29-2017, 08:41 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
Has NBC ever simulcast two feeds from Canada before? the way the matchups look they might do that.
I recall a couple of years ago when Montreal and Tampa met NBC used the Rogers feed with Bob Cole announcing.

One card they have played in the past is using TSN announcers for playoff games in Canada such as Gord Miller, Ray Ferraro and Chris Cuthbert. In any event NBC will most likely use CSN feeds when they can with the exception of CSN-Chicago who is too much of a homer for their taste. They also could use CSN-Philly announcers on a game.

Old
03-29-2017, 08:51 PM
danderson400

Could they use the Blues crew for CHI/STL or the Wild crew for MIN/NSH?

Old
03-29-2017, 10:19 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
Could they use the Blues crew for CHI/STL or the Wild crew for MIN/NSH?
NBC will avoid using a FOX produced game if they can - but last year Rogers would chose a FOX feed over a NBC produced one.

Old
03-29-2017, 10:57 PM
Elephant Igloo

Quote:
Could they use the Blues crew for CHI/STL
Why would they do that when they can produce Chicago games nationally or use CSN Chicago?

Elephant Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2017, 11:51 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
or the Wild crew for MIN/NSH?
This would have to be an NBC broadcast crew. I'd stab myself in the ears if I had to listen to either crew.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2017, 04:18 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Igloo View Post
Why would they do that when they can prC2-3oduce Chicago games nationally or use CSN Chicago?
NBC has a dilemma in the first round because they are blacked out in the home markets in favor of local broadcasters unless a game is selected for NBC itself. However they have to make all first round games available in neutral markets.

NBC has shown in the past that they trust some local broadcasters not in their control to be seen on one of their cable channels. (Sam Rosen - Rangers for example )

They certainly would never unleash Jack Edwards (NESN-Bruins) on a national telecast, and they got burnt last year by Pat Foley complaining on air about late starting times demanded by TV.

My guess is NBC will focus on (M2-M3) and (C2-C3), Chicago, Boston if they get in, Washington, Rangers, Minnesota, St. Louis and San Jose. They will certainly use Rogers if Ottawa and Toronto meet in Round 1 and the same applies to a possible Edmonton/Calgary matchup.

Still too many moving pieces to see who goes on NBCSN, USA and CNBC.

Old
03-30-2017, 06:51 AM
danderson400

I wouldn't mind the CSN crews in Philly or San Jose, since those crews are really good. it's the one in DC or Chicago that i can't stand. We will get the Hughson-Simpson crew from CBC if OTT/TOR comes up, and maybe whoever does the MIN/CGY series.

Old
03-31-2017, 01:36 AM
danderson400

With the Red Wings out of the playoffs, maybe NBC uses Ken Daniels on on eof their crews.

Old
03-31-2017, 01:46 AM
93LEAFS

Quote:
I'm all for NBC using the Rogers feed- unless it's the Montreal or Edmonton crews.
Trust me, you don't want the Romanuk/Millen broadcast. I assume you don't want Edmonton or MTL due to homerism, but Romanuk and Millen are flat out incompetent.

93LEAFS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 01:48 AM
93LEAFS

Quote:
I wouldn't mind the CSN crews in Philly or San Jose, since those crews are really good. it's the one in DC or Chicago that i can't stand. We will get the Hughson-Simpson crew from CBC if OTT/TOR comes up, and maybe whoever does the MIN/CGY series.
Pretty sure Hughson primarily does westcoast games. They may use him for Leafs or Montreal, but more likely they put him with McDavid. He only does Leaf broadcasts Saturday nights. Usually, we get stuck with Romanuk and Millen, which is why I much prefer TSN as for those games we almost always get Ray Ferraro with either Miller or Cuthbert.

Old
03-31-2017, 01:51 AM
danderson400

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LEAFS View Post
Trust me, you don't want the Romanuk/Millen broadcast. I assume you don't want Edmonton or MTL due to homerism, but Romanuk and Millen are flat out incompetent.
That's why i'm hoping the Sharks get the Oilers instead. The Sharks crew though, would they be worse than Romanuk/Millen?

Old
03-31-2017, 02:13 AM
93LEAFS

Quote:
That's why i'm hoping the Sharks get the Oilers instead. The Sharks crew though, would they be worse than Romanuk/Millen?
I don't know, I haven't seen enough of the Sharks crew to fairly judge. I watch every Leafs game, and I (and multiple friends and fellow posters) absolutely despise them. Kids covering the OHL for free do a better job than them on a regular basis. Romanuk is out of touch (after living in Europe for multiple years) while Millen provides limited insight.

Old
03-31-2017, 02:29 AM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

vCash: 50
Quote:
NBC will avoid using a FOX produced game if they can - but last year Rogers would chose a FOX feed over a NBC produced one.

Not a shock considering some of the NBC guys work for TSN too

Method Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 09:00 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method Man View Post
Not a shock considering some of the NBC guys work for TSN too
That is exactly why. You think Rogers wants Chris Cuthbert or Gord Miller on their air?

Old
03-31-2017, 10:35 AM
Preds33

Quote:
That is exactly why. You think Rogers wants Chris Cuthbert or Gord Miller on their air?
Doesn't NBC use some of the Fox commentators though? John Forslund as an example... How would this be any different?

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 11:41 AM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Doesn't NBC use some of the Fox commentators though? John Forslund as an example... How would this be any different?
Forslund is on NBC produced telecasts when available.

Ken Daniels might be an option for Round one - He was never available before.

Looks like Blackhawks fans might be stuck with a couple of 8:30 PM local starts again.

Old
03-31-2017, 12:26 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Forslund is on NBC produced telecasts when available.

Ken Daniels might be an option for Round one - He was never available before.

Looks like Blackhawks fans might be stuck with a couple of 8:30 PM local starts again.
ummm. I thought all of the Central teams go through this. It isn't just the Blackhawks. Last year and the year before, no games in round 1 started before 8:30 central. I almost didn't buy playoff tickets last year and this for this very reason as it makes it so hard the next morning when you are not getting home before 12-1AM

Old
03-31-2017, 12:29 PM
Preds33

Quote:

OT but just curious....Is this the reason that NBC dropped Nashville's game next Thursday in favor of Boston? I'm not complaining (I am actually happy as I can't stand the NBC coverage). Just found it odd that Boston has all 4 of their last 4 on NBC/NBCSN.

Old
03-31-2017, 12:46 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT PLAYOFFS

vCash: 50
Quote:
If you have the opportunity to put Gene Principe and his puns on a TV screen, you take it.

Diamondillium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 01:11 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
OT but just curious....Is this the reason that NBC dropped Nashville's game next Thursday in favor of Boston? I'm not complaining (I am actually happy as I can't stand the NBC coverage). Just found it odd that Boston has all 4 of their last 4 on NBC/NBCSN.
No. Game is on NBCSN. Reason I'm guessing that the NSH-DAL game was dropped is that the Stars are well out of the playoff race, and both OTT and BOS are neck and neck in one. As it is I'm suspecting they'll probably just simulcast OTT's broadcast on TSN for that game as that will likely have a combo of Miller or Cuthbert w/Ferraro on the call, and all three of those announcers will be available to NBC and likely used during the playoffs.

As to the question that is posed in the thread, I'm expecting four or five as well.

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote