Hockey 101 for women???

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 05:26 AM
BruinsGirl

vCash: 500
Hockey 101 for women???

I've just received this from cybercenter:

Women, forget about picking up bits and pieces of hockey knowledge from your husband or boyfriend – enter the Boston Bruins Academy and learn from the experts! The Boston Bruins Academy is holding their first ever Hockey 101 for Women.

Course Dates & Times: A two hour class will be held at the FleetCenter on Monday, November 3 from 6:00-8:00pm. You’ll then graduate on the ice after the 7:00pm game on Thursday, November 20.

Course Description: This class will teach women the ins & outs of hockey in a fun, informative and interactive environment. Students will tour the FleetCenter & the Bruins locker rooms and have the opportunity to get autographs from a variety of people.

Faculty: a Bruins player, a member of the media, a former referee, a member of the equipment staff, training staff, and more!

Admission: This four-credit class will cost $80. This fee covers the class itself, materials, a ticket to the November 20 game vs. Washington, a graduation photo and special gift.

Pre-requisites: A love of hockey!

Proceeds will benefit the Boston Bruins Foundation To reserve your spot in the class, or for more information, please contact Marisa Beal at 617-624-1923 or mbeal@bostonbruins.com. This class will fill up quickly so reserve your spot today!

Are they kidding or what?

Old
10-23-2003, 05:34 AM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadahockeygirl
So they're teaching women how to appreciate hockey?

Hey, I might actually try that... maybe then I'll actually know about the game instead of watching to see who has the cuter ass!

If you've ever been to the BB.com msg board, you'd realize that 95 percent of the posts by women there are "Joe is soooo cute!", "Who's the cutest?", "Who's cuter?" and "I saw Marty today...he's sooo cute!".

Old
10-23-2003, 05:38 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26
If you've ever been to the BB.com msg board, you'd realize that 95 percent of the posts by women there are "Joe is soooo cute!", "Who's the cutest?", "Who's cuter?" and "I saw Marty today...he's sooo cute!".

Hey..how about 100001 thread about Ice Girls?

Old
10-23-2003, 05:43 AM
HockeyGoddess

*huge grin* Yeah... the chronic topics on bostonbruins.com (Ice Girls, who's the hottest Bruin, etc., is anybody here?, good morning, good night threads) gets really old... I rarely write anything there anymore, and when I do, I usually end up getting ripped a new one by some guy (usually a teenager) who doesn't like to be disagreed with or proven wrong. It's good for comic relief at times, but there's so much drivel on that board, it's hard to find actual decent hockey conversation there.

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Old
10-23-2003, 05:49 AM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Kristy, I hope your not going. I've been getting your informative emails for 7 years + via the mailing list. Your an excellent presence in the Bruin nation. Keep it up and I owe you a big thank you!

Old
10-23-2003, 06:01 AM
HockeyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26
Kristy, I hope your not going. I've been getting your informative emails for 7 years + via the mailing list. Your an excellent presence in the Bruin nation. Keep it up and I owe you a big thank you!
Thanks for the kind words... I'm not going away (at least not willingly!) I'm just likely not to post very often on the message board at bostonbruins.com. When I want to write/read Bruins hockey, THIS is the place to be, and I'll happily continue to read and post here.

I was amused by the cybear email as well... I know several boyfriends of fellow women hockey fans who could easily benefit from Hockey 101. If I hadn't been so amused by it, I likely would've felt insulted.

Old
10-23-2003, 06:18 AM
whatsbruin

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGoddess
*huge grin* Yeah... the chronic topics on bostonbruins.com (Ice Girls, who's the hottest Bruin, etc., is anybody here?, good morning, good night threads) gets really old... I rarely write anything there anymore, and when I do, I usually end up getting ripped a new one by some guy (usually a teenager) who doesn't like to be disagreed with or proven wrong. It's good for comic relief at times, but there's so much drivel on that board, it's hard to find actual decent hockey conversation there.
Come on Kristy, we all know you have Girard as an
avatar cause you think he is a hottie.

Old
10-23-2003, 06:23 AM
HockeyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsbruin
Come on Kristy, we all know you have Girard as an
avatar cause you think he is a hottie.
If I was 20 years younger, you better believe I'd be all over that!!! (and he even knows this little fact!)

Luckily for Jonathan, I'm nearly old enough to be his momma. Hmmm.... sugah momma maybe??? Nahhhhh... he makes a LOT more than I ever will.

Old
10-23-2003, 06:33 AM
BostonGrl819

Are they serious about Hockey 101 for women???

What is this-the Stone Age???

I'm by no means a feminist, but if they're serious about this, then I'm really, really disgusted. :mad:

Old
10-23-2003, 06:47 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
I do not think it's a bad idea....

I do believe that female hockey fans are in the minority. It is a very untapped Market. Granted the first paragraph is a bit "out there" in regard to "getting info. from boyfriends..."

But if the intent is to make it more comfortable for a woman to learn and therefore enjoy the game, then that is good for all I would think.

From personal experience , and I don't know if it's this Market targeted,
in my own neighborhood there are a few single Moms. Their kids go to school and play with my kids. Every year I do the backyard rink thing and everybody that has their own skates is welcome. Some of those Moms have expressed a wish to know more about the game that their kids are taking interest in...

I dunno... I just don't see this as an attempt to alienate or talk down to anybody. I think it's an attempt to foster a bigger and more diverse fan base..

just my opinion.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
10-23-2003, 07:23 AM
Pielsman

I agree with Wally that this "class" could be real helpful to many.

I too know many guys who would greatly benefit from something like this.

However, calling it a "womens class" might rile up some people...gotta be politically correct, I guess. -Piels

Old
10-23-2003, 07:36 AM
BruinsGirl

I was just thinking that if woman gets cyber e-mails she already a hockey fan, right?

Old
10-23-2003, 07:38 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
I was just thinking that if woman gets cyber e-mails she already a hockey fan, right?

hey I never said they were smart...just that the general idea wasn't bad...

Old
10-23-2003, 07:44 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGoddess
If I was 20 years younger, you better believe I'd be all over that!!! (and he even knows this little fact!)

Luckily for Jonathan, I'm nearly old enough to be his momma. Hmmm.... sugah momma maybe??? Nahhhhh... he makes a LOT more than I ever will.

I will personally attest to the first part as I was in attendance and saw HG make the lad blush at camp last year.

Old
10-23-2003, 11:43 AM
BroonBabe34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Haha!

I thought the same thing as well. While I dont necessarily agree with the "Hockey 101" thing, I think it might be entertaining just to go and see what they are actually going to do there. I just need to find out if its the same price if we are season ticket holders that dont need a ticket to that game. CHG let me know if you plan on going and we can meet up. I might bring my hockey-clueless friend as well.

Old
10-23-2003, 11:49 AM
BroonBabe34

Grr I need to change my sig.

Does anyone know if the other 9 "classes" are for women only? Im confused about this whole academy thing.

Then again I am a WOMAN - blonde to boot!

Old
10-23-2003, 07:25 PM
goalie31

I think they should of done this type of thing for the Ice Girls.

And how is touring the Bruins locker room 'hockey 101'?

"To your left is #12, Brian Rolston's jock strap."

Doi!

Old
10-24-2003, 02:30 AM
tarabelle99

Send a message via AIM to tarabelle99
Little puckbunnies make those of us with actual knowledge of the game look bad. :mad: I swear I see one more sign: "MARRY ME JOE" or "I LOVE YOU PJ" I'll vomit, blech. Seriously, they're all down at ice level during warmups and you can hear them talking "OH MY GOD, ROLSTON JUST LOOKED AT ME" and "LOOK HOW CUTE HE IS" pushing little kids aside to get their mugs up against the glass. Just so they can drool. Ok, we all know they have groupies, we all know they may or may not be "cute". Do you really think your sign is going to get them to leave the ice and come sweep you off your feet?

My friend and took her niece to a game last year, she was 7 at the time, and it was an afternoon game, so we figured, what the heck, we'll let her stand outside the gates with the other kids so she can get some autographs. (plus we figured there'd be less people on the T) There was this one twit there who I swear thought she was all that because she had "been with Nick" (and the whole team apparently from what the security guard later told us). First off she looked to be about 16 and second, unattractiveness aside, I don't think she knew the difference between a forward and a defenseman. The whole scene was both hysterical and disgusting. Seeing this twit in wintry weather with nothing but a little T shirt chasing after the players with the little kids. Funny thing was the minute Thornton saw her, he gunned it. She wasn't very happy. Though we all got a good laugh about it.

BTW,back on topic. This is a marketing ploy by the powers that be to fill up some of them purdy seats they had to paint black. They know the 'die hards' (which are unfortunately, primarily male) are done with paying the vault a visit. They already do the "college nights" and "family days" and a ton of stuff to get kids into the Fleece, now they're just taking a new approach.
And just who is the "bruins player" they speak of? Whoever's in Sully's doghouse that day?????

Next promotion: Hey Seniors, get a free packet of Depends when you purchase tickets to this Tuesday's Bruins home game!!! Your gift will be personally handed out after a private meeting with a Bruins player from 50 years ago!!!!!!!

Old
10-24-2003, 03:51 AM
whatsbruin

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted elegance
Next promotion: Hey Seniors, get a free packet of Depends when you purchase tickets to this Tuesday's Bruins home game!!! Your gift will be personally handed out after a private meeting with a Bruins player from 50 years ago!!!!!!!

Why limit it to seniors?
I'd market it along the lines of:

You paid $80 for a ticket and $8 for that beer.
Why miss a moment of the action?
Use depends, its for all ages.

Old
10-24-2003, 03:57 AM
Iggyz

vCash:
I don't think it is a terrible idea. Not because I think women need to be educated about hockey, but because I think the women who will be willing to pay $80 for an insiders tour, the chance to meet a player, and tickets to a game will already be a hockey fan. :p

Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me! After all, the class itself is only 2 hours.

Old
10-24-2003, 05:58 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted elegance

good...I have something to look forward to !

Old
10-24-2003, 06:09 AM
BroonBabe34

Speaking of puckbunnies, did anyone notice last night how they managed to skank up the Ice Girls? They went from wearing the nice looking B's girl jerseys to some skanktastic boulder holder with Aquafina on the back.

It was really disgusting to see guys drooling and falling all over their seats to wave to them. And these werent all young guys either. The drunks next to us kept yelling "Take your shirt off" every time they came out. That is just gross, especially with all kinds of young kids around.

Is this really the type of atmosphere that the Bruins organization wants to promote?

Old
10-24-2003, 06:16 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
can we please not go thru the whole puckbunnies/icegirls thing again.

last year we damn near blew up the board..

Old
10-24-2003, 06:22 AM
BroonBabe34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
can we please not go thru the whole puckbunnies/icegirls thing again.

last year we damn near blew up the board..

I understand what you're saying Wally - I don't want to either but I think it needs to be addressed. Maybe here is not the best place, but I wanted to know what other people thoughts were. As season ticket holders, we are subject to this every game. You don't see it on tv.

Old
10-24-2003, 06:28 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
( sigh )...

okay discuss it but this thread is on triple secret probation.

that's a first !!!

Closed Thread