HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrik Laine Part VI: Help! He's Being Repressed!

Old
03-30-2017, 11:43 PM
TobeMessier
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinator View Post
Yes, thank you for pointing out that wheeler can produce at almost 1 ppg without playing with Scheifele

11 shots on goal in 2 games, 0 goals. If he'd scored 2 or 3 you wouldn't be talking. Laine's getting as many chances as he was getting with scheifele, and some high quality ones. He's just not finishing them anymore, that's on him and no one else.
So if he is so hot why does he need Scheif to make him better? His point clip without Schief is less than a point a game taking that 20 game stretch. With Scheif he would be at 30 points compared to without him at 17 for the same amount of games. If he is such a big boy and veteran maybe he should let the kid develop as it was the hottest combo until they were split up. But I have a feeling he pouted in the corner until he got his way.

TobeMessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2017, 11:50 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobeMessier View Post
So if he is so hot why does he need Scheif to make him better? His point clip without Schief is less than a point a game taking that 20 game stretch. With Scheif he would be at 30 points compared to without him at 17 for the same amount of games. If he is such a big boy and veteran maybe he should let the kid develop as it was the hottest combo until they were split up. But I have a feeling he pouted in the corner until he got his way.
IMO you are completely misrepresenting Wheeler. Under no circumstances would he pout to get his own way. If anything he just might be the least selfish player on the team. Again IMO Scheif and Wheeler are playing together and logging big minutes as a demonstration to the team the effort and level of compete needed to succeed. I have no doubt Laine will get there, but he is not there yet. He is 18 and I trust he is willing to learn from the vets to help improve his game. Because we need him to keep taking steps forward.

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 12:05 AM
fkdog
'Noo'

vCash: 5797
We all want Laine to be in a position to succeed. There have definitely been a few games I feel like Maurice is doing some bizarre, questionable, and downright stupid things out there in regards to Laine - hell, he's been doing it for the whole team for the last 2 seasons and the greater part of his career - but honestly Laine's shots have been pretty good lately - been putting a lot on net and improving his skating, etc... today no matter what he did the puck was not going in the net. There are slumps and other young elite rookies have had them too this season. It's going to happen.

re: Type of criticism of Wheeler here is pretty ridiculous. Wheeler was the first guy to tell Laine to shake off his own goal. There's no ****ing pouting going on from anyone.

fkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 12:10 AM
TobeMessier
Rookie User

Quote:
You tell me, it was the Laine fans saying that Ehlers was a "selfish, low IQ" player.

Yes everyone plays better with Scheifele because he's the best player on the team. That doesn't mean Little is trash and holding everyone back, like you seem to think. If wheeler had no problem producing at close to a PPG with Little, it's probably not Little holding anyone back. It's Laine going through a slump.

Simple, simple logic.
It's Little. When your centericeman has 1 point (assist) in the last 7 games and he is the leader on your line then he is the problem. I can almost guarantee if Scheif was at Little's productivity level the last 7 games Wheeler would be struggling and any other team mates he was paired with. Wheels and Little have played together for years. it's expected they know each others games. That article I quoted above, by the way also noted that Little and Wheels cooled off,"Since the switch 15 games ago, his points-per-game has dropped from 0.85 to 0.60. More interesting is that both Wheeler and Little’s numbers have also dropped (though Little was on fire after coming back from his injury and has since cooled down).". When he has two players Scheif and Laine who have almost immediate chemistry Maurice blows the line up. Not smart nor forward looking.

Old
03-31-2017, 12:18 AM
Festinator

Quote:
It's Little. When your centericeman has 1 point (assist) in the last 7 games and he is the leader on your line then he is the problem. I can almost guarantee if Scheif was at Little's productivity level the last 7 games Wheeler would be struggling and any other team mates he was paired with. Wheels and Little have played together for years. it's expected they know each others games. That article I quoted above, by the way also noted that Little and Wheels cooled off,"Since the switch 15 games ago, his points-per-game has dropped from 0.85 to 0.60. More interesting is that both Wheeler and Little’s numbers have also dropped (though Little was on fire after coming back from his injury and has since cooled down).". When he has two players Scheif and Laine who have almost immediate chemistry Maurice blows the line up. Not smart nor forward looking.
It's not little, it's you not being able to admit that Laine has gone into a slump. He's getting chances, not finishing them, everyone can see it except for you for whatever reason. He's snake-bitten. Yeah, Little is in one too. I don't see why it is that they both started slumping at the same time, but all your blame falls on Little.

You weren't complaining about Little until Laine started playing with him. Why is it Little's fault and not Laine's? He bears no responsibility?

Festinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 12:23 AM
TobeMessier
Rookie User

Quote:
It's not little, it's you not being able to admit that Laine has gone into a slump. He's getting chances, not finishing them, everyone can see it except for you for whatever reason. He's snake-bitten. Yeah, Little is in one too. I don't see why it is that they both started slumping at the same time, but all your blame falls on Little.

You weren't complaining about Little until Laine started playing with him. Why is it Little's fault and not Laine's? He bears no responsibility?
That's right I wasn't complaining because (a) him and Wheels play well together
and (b) Little and Laine do not. Why persist in a combo where the centerman is struggling and the kid he is with is struggling. Especially when the season is over. Give the kid some confidence and let him end the season with the centericeman who everyone was writing and talking about because of their chemistry?

Old
03-31-2017, 12:38 AM
Festinator

Quote:
That's right I wasn't complaining because (a) him and Wheels play well together
and (b) Little and Laine do not. Why persist in a combo where the centerman is struggling and the kid he is with is struggling. Especially when the season is over. Give the kid some confidence and let him end the season with the centericeman who everyone was writing and talking about because of their chemistry?
Because, the first time they were put together, they weren't struggling and it spread out the scoring among the team better. Hockey is still a team sport. It's not all about points. Laine learning to produce with people who aren't scheifele will help his development in the long run. If scheifele ever goes down injured in the future, Laine will still be able to put up points.

Even so, Laine played really well today, he just didn't score. It's a slump.

Festinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 01:04 AM
Lainethescourgeofgod*

Why the hell is laine playing casper ? He's done well so far but damn we needed him down the stretch. Im not going to say Laine's the reason we will see no playoffs but he has a large role as to why. We're winning now and he's ghosted. Enough excuses with goaltendng. Laine, Little and Ehlers are nowhere to be found.

Lainethescourgeofgod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 01:08 AM
Rambokala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainethescourgeofgod View Post
Why the hell is laine playing casper ? He's done well so far but damn we needed him down the stretch. Im not going to say Laine's the reason we will see no playoffs but he has a large role as to why. We're winning now and he's ghosted. Enough excuses with goaltendng. Laine, Little and Ehlers are nowhere to be found.
Laine has played bad after the playoff chances were gone...not before. Also our playoff chances cant be hanging on the shoulders of an 18 year old rookie.

Rambokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 04:43 AM
ImGoingNucks
The flying Orca

vCash: 407
Its getting pretty tiresome seeing Jets players getting thrown under the bus by Laine fans.. Please dont make me dislike one of our own,. Your starting to sound like Nylander fan boys.

Little is NOT the problem - Laine like most 18yo is slumping after a looong season.
He will be back next season in full im sure.

ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 05:14 AM
Rambokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
Its getting pretty tiresome seeing Jets players getting thrown under the bus by Laine fans.. Please dont make me dislike one of our own,. Your starting to sound like Nylander fan boys.

Little is NOT the problem - Laine like most 18yo is slumping after a looong season.
You'd dislike a player because of a handful of dummies on an internet forum?

Old
03-31-2017, 05:17 AM
ImGoingNucks
The flying Orca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambokala View Post
You'd dislike a player because of a handful of dummies on an internet forum?
Hyperbole to make a point buddy

To make it clear, no ofc not! I love Laine, but im not blinded by that love like some.

And by all accounts, he has already surpased at least my expectations for his rookie season.
Kid has been a beast, slump or not.

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 03-31-2017 at 05:22 AM.
Old
03-31-2017, 05:53 AM
Halberdier

Quote:
I agree 90%, but last game I cared to watch, Little was genuinely bad and by far the worst of ELL-line. So it's not that Little is being his own great self, but he is also slumping.

I love the way Little plays, usually. The smartest Jet center. Or that was the case late autumn.

Halberdier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 06:39 AM
19GoalsInPlayoffs

Quote:
Hyperbole to make a point buddy

To make it clear, no ofc not! I love Laine, but im not blinded by that love like some.

And by all accounts, he has already surpased at least my expectations for his rookie season.
Kid has been a beast, slump or not.
I'm actually thinking that ending his first season with a slump might be a good thing for Laine. And his future. And for Jets future. As Patrik has already shown us and himself what he is capable of doing at the NHL-level - and that he can sustain the high level for long periods of time - but he also sees that it isn't "piece of cake" and he's still got a lot of work to do.

I'm also hoping Matthews wins the Calder and does it "fairly" with more points than Laine.

Why you might ask.

Because Laine is that kind of person who you don't want to **** off (or in our case you do want to do just that ). And I think at the moment Patrik is more ****** off than any of us for at least three reasons:

(1) No playoffs for Jets
(2) his shots not finding the net
AND (though not admitting it)
(3) "the number one" getting the Calder

Just wait and see what kind of beast he will be at the start of the next season (satisfied Laine might not have had that kind of off season)...

19GoalsInPlayoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 06:49 AM
Lempo
#WeAreAllKevinBieksa

vCash: 1000
He's gonna be ****** off alright if his slump drops him just outside the top 10 of league forwards in goals, which makes all the difference in if he gets $0 or $1.8M in team-paid Schedule B bonuses.

Lempo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 06:52 AM
KingJoffrey

Laine should skip this years wc and rest. He's already showing some signs of tiredness.

KingJoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 06:56 AM
Lempo
#WeAreAllKevinBieksa

vCash: 1000
WHC is kind of huge deal for Finns.

Pre-Olympic one obviously especially so for the players.

Lempo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 07:12 AM
Rambokala

Wouldn't mind if all players skipped this WHC, just because of the location..

Old
03-31-2017, 08:36 AM
Howard Chuck

This thread is like reading something from the main boards.

*backs out slowly*

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 08:41 AM
Howard Chuck

I pvr'd the game last night so admittedly didn't watch every minute of it, but I thought that Laine had a really strong game last night. Won some board battles, made some incredible passes, and seemed more engaged in the forecheck. His one timer was there as well, but Bernier managed to get in the right place at the right time.

He didn't score, but I thought he looked more like the Laine we had all been used to seeing earlier.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 08:57 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue420 View Post
Laine is an 18 year old rookie playing against men in the best hockey league in the world. He has actually had a very very good rookie season. He hasn't been sheltered at all. He started off playing in the top 6 and he's stayed there all year long. No sheltering. Just throw the kid to the wolves and he's done well. I'm not sure of the ice time but he's had lots.. possibly 15 to 17 minutes a night with some games over 20 probably.

Matthews for example was sheltered to start the year. Laine hadn't been at all.

The point here tho Is he's an 18 yr old KID who has played against the other teams best players for the entire season. He's very good and is playing well but not scoring. That's fine. Can't expect the 18 yr old to dominate all year long
Totally agree.

Quote:
Apparently Laine can do no wrong, and it's everyone else's fault when he's not putting the puck in the net. It's ridiculous really. As soon as he's not producing, they lash out at his line mates.

First it was Ehlers, now it's Little. They started bashing Wheeler for some reason out of the blue as well. Pathetic.

You can easily tell the Laine fans from the Jets fans, and some of the Laine fans are not jets fans.
Quote:

Also totally agree. It's getting beyond tiresome hearing diatribes from some Laine only fans who really seem to have a very limited understanding of just how much more of a step up the NHL is compared to the Finish professional league. Also pretty ridiculous hearing expert opinions on Jets players like Little and Wheeler from people who have just started to watch these guys play this year, and are looking for any reason that their favorite son isn't scoring 50 goals.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 06:58 PM
grieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Totally agree.

Also totally agree. It's getting beyond tiresome hearing diatribes from some Laine only fans who really seem to have a very limited understanding of just how much more of a step up the NHL is compared to the Finish professional league. Also pretty ridiculous hearing expert opinions on Jets players like Little and Wheeler from people who have just started to watch these guys play this year, and are looking for any reason that their favorite son isn't scoring 50 goals.
[mod] The biggest issue I've seen people have was with the line ELL. If the whole line has 0-2 shots per game for five straight games and you think it's somehow unfair to say that Maurice is ****ing up and Finns are just freaking out because Laine? Give me a break.

Perreault is a much better fit, and now the blame can be shifted on Laine, by all means.

Laine needs no special treatment but if the line is not working and the coach is a tool, why expect a different reaction?

EDIT: I also agree that bashing Little and Wheeler is [not right]

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 03-31-2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Not necessary
grieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 08:49 AM
ImGoingNucks
The flying Orca

Quote:
Originally Posted by grieves View Post
[mod] The biggest issue I've seen people have was with the line ELL. If the whole line has 0-2 shots per game for five straight games and you think it's somehow unfair to say that Maurice is ****ing up and Finns are just freaking out because Laine? Give me a break.

Perreault is a much better fit, and now the blame can be shifted on Laine, by all means.

Laine needs no special treatment but if the line is not working and the coach is a tool, why expect a different reaction?

EDIT: I also agree that bashing Little and Wheeler is [not right]
Well if that was the case, id agree with you.

But what some got out of that, was that Little and Ehlers were both pulling Laine down.
I think thats what some took offense too.

Anyhow, **** it.. Laine with a hatty tonight

Old
04-01-2017, 09:00 AM
Mbraunm

As much as I'd like Laine with Scheif, maybe having a situation with Little, he must learn to generate his own offence and become self sufficiently dominant. Maybe the skills learnt to get out of this slump could prove quite productive in terms of learning how to be a decent dominant force?

Mbraunm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 09:46 PM
Rambokala

I think the slump is really really getting to him at this point. He really needs the season to end so he can clear his mind.