HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrik Laine Part VI: Help! He's Being Repressed!

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2017, 05:39 AM
ImGoingNucks
The flying Orca

vCash: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucka lucka View Post
Here is the list from the FSI: http://www.effectivelanguagelearning...age-difficulty

Having a few quirks in a language doesn't make the language hard. While fluent in neither, I've attempted learning Danish and French. Danish is far easier due to the similarity in sentence structure and shared vocabulary. Watch a Danish show subtitled, the flow of the language is so similar.

German in class 2, I found much much easier to learn.

The biggest difficulty with Danish based on my rudimentary understanding is the difference in spelling and pronunciation(in some cases). With French, if you can read it you can say it.
The link seems to be from the perspective of an English speaker, or a speaker in the Indo European class of languages or better yet, Germanic.
It makes no sense that the dificulty rating is the same for all speakers. also Danish in 1, is ridiculous, id love to see someone ,not a savant, master Danish in under 600hours.

btw, how on earth are Romanian and Portugese, Spanish, and Italian close to English, all are latin languages, Romanian being closer to actual latin than the others, I think.

Germans, Dutch and so on learn Danish well, but English speakers always have a very very thick accent and a very hard time pronouncing the words,

I seeem to remember Danish being voted one of the hardest languages to learn at one time.
Ill see if I can find it.

Besides, one thing is reading about it, another is experiencing it, my Danish wife is a teacher of Danish among others, and she also says that non Danish children who were not born here, never seem to quite learn how to

1: Pronounce words, as Danes as you say, dont pronounce words as they are written. - And im sorry, but imo, if you cant pronounce the words, you are not having an easy time with the language.

Case in point:

Remember subtitles on this one (bottom)it has English.

For example. I had a go at Russian once, not a hard language to understand and to sorta learn, but the pronounciations to me were almost impossible, to the point where I was inaudible to most Russians.

2. The grammar is rogue and not at all explanatory of all sentences and why it is so, hence many people getting their wording wrong.

Im not just saying this to disagree, this is my honest perception.

My wife is Danish, my mother is Danish, and ive lived here for the past decade, and I still make mistakes, now im a physicist and languages are not my force, but im not stupid and I speak Spanish, English, Danish and some German. And Danish imo is by faaar the most dificult to master.

Honestly the language is so confusing its slowly dying, its not a joke, but even Danes dont speak it properly, at least not the younger generations. and they are substituting more and more words with English.

This is a major problem in Denmark before high school, alot of children struggle with Danish grammar in the classroom.
So much so, that my wife and other teachers have had big meetings at high levels to discuss the problems.

This is from a Norwegian tv show, and its quite funny, even to Danes.

More Norwegian fun at Danish and alkohol abuse in Denmark.

Then theres the whole danish numerical system, its backwerds, and based on fractions.

http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/ts/langua...er/danish.html

Its like Denmark saw how the rest of the world did and said **** you.

Must have been some type of early hipsterdom.

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 07-12-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old
07-12-2017, 06:35 AM
Lempo
I heart Toby Enström

vCash: 500
Brutally funny Icelander gives the Nordic view on the differences in the local languages:

It's not off-topic because of the Laine-Ehlers chemistry, honest!

Last edited by Lempo: 07-12-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old
07-12-2017, 07:15 AM
ImGoingNucks
The flying Orca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lempo View Post
Brutally funny Icelander gives the Nordic view on the differences in the local languages:

It's not off-topic because of the Laine-Ehlers chemistry, honest!
Lol, hillarious. I need to see more of him. ****ing epic.

This is so much on topic and very important

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 07-12-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old
07-12-2017, 08:14 AM
psycho_dad

Jesus we need some Laine related news soon, this is getting so off topic

Old
07-12-2017, 08:26 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Jesus we need some Laine related news soon, this is getting so off topic
Yes, it is. It's summer though.

I do ask: can people try to loop Laine into the conversation to keep this semi-on-topic?

Old
07-12-2017, 08:39 AM
Rambokala

http://www.is.fi/nhl/art-2000005280329.html

Well here's a small article about Patty's summer training. The full article is in the magazine "Urheilulehti", which i don't have.

His trainer says that this summer Patty will focus on explosiveness and improving his strength levels, in order to find a new gear for his skating. Physically he's still very raw, but for an example his maximum strength level has clearly improved from last summer.

"In the end in Patrik's case a great training summer is supposed to above all give him more confidence. When you know that you've trained well, you'll be mentally stronger to handle any setbacks."

If anyone has the actual magazine, feel free to translate if there's anything worth translating.

Old
07-12-2017, 09:13 AM
kunekune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambokala View Post
http://www.is.fi/nhl/art-2000005280329.html

Well here's a small article about Patty's summer training. The full article is in the magazine "Urheilulehti", which i don't have.

His trainer says that this summer Patty will focus on explosiveness and improving his strength levels, in order to find a new gear for his skating. Physically he's still very raw, but for an example his maximum strength level has clearly improved from last summer.

"In the end in Patrik's case a great training summer is supposed to above all give him more confidence. When you know that you've trained well, you'll be mentally stronger to handle any setbacks."

If anyone has the actual magazine, feel free to translate if there's anything worth translating.
I did read the article but it was nothing new, just recycling the same things that have been on the news over and over again.

They talked about sophomore slump and how to avoid it. It's mostly inside your head and purpose of summer training is to give confidence for the next season. They concluded that the confidence part is even more important than what the training actually does for you body.

Old
07-12-2017, 11:22 AM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post

I do ask: can people try to loop Laine into the conversation to keep this semi-on-topic?
We've talked about everything from naked sauna floggings to how dark rye bread should be in the Laine threads. Since we're coming up on 1000 posts, maybe we should just call the next one the All Purpose Finnish-Canadian Cultural Thread (Laine talk permitted).

Old
07-12-2017, 12:54 PM
ImGoingNucks
The flying Orca

Quote:

Lol, sorry

silly season is just sooo boring...

Someone should get Laine to speak Danish, and Eehls to speak Finish.

Old
07-12-2017, 01:02 PM
grieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunekune View Post
I did read the article but it was nothing new, just recycling the same things that have been on the news over and over again.

They talked about sophomore slump and how to avoid it. It's mostly inside your head and purpose of summer training is to give confidence for the next season. They concluded that the confidence part is even more important than what the training actually does for you body.
Christ. The sophomore slump is a myth based on older players playing a strong rookie season after coming in from another league. Young rookies don't slump, but the oldies might because of normal seasonal fluctuation. Old rookies don't learn new tricks so they might "slump" the next season.

There is absolutely no reason to think Laine will do something else than become a lot better hockey player.

Old
07-12-2017, 01:16 PM
Lempo
I heart Toby Enström

No but really. The personal chemistry obviously makes a big portion of these interpersonal relationships, but there is always that thing about how it would be good that there is a mentor from the old country for your new young hotshot coming right out of Europe (just look at the Oilers camp and their supposed rationale for the Jokinen signing). Laine's been there now living first time in the abroad, and when that happens there's the issue of getting into the new sort of exciting exotism but also the longing for the old familiar thing, and it just may be that a hockey yanar like Ehlers from the not too unlike Denmark is a great go-between for a youngster like Laine in that regard. Just the right amount of something from both worlds.

Obviously doesn't hurt that both are kind of good in this stickpuck thingy.

Old
07-12-2017, 01:32 PM

Hope Laine can speed up his first few steps. Apparently being faster than MacKinnon didn't clear the myth that he is slow.

Old
07-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Laineux

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 View Post
Hope Laine can speed up his first few steps. Apparently being faster than MacKinnon didn't clear the myth that he is slow.
Thing is that top speed or ring lap speed doesn't matter that much in the NHL... it's all about the acceleration and first steps.

Old
07-12-2017, 02:05 PM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laineux View Post
Thing is that top speed or ring lap speed doesn't matter that much in the NHL... it's all about the acceleration and first steps.
That is true, there is a lot of stopping and starting and if you get an edge with first few steps it helps a lot.

Nothing wrong with Laines speed around the rink, but he is a huge guy and needs more effective leg muscle to accelerate with the best of them, explosiveness and power. I am expecting him to be noticeably quicker next season, due to this specialized training. We know he has the drive to be the best, so he will train like one too. Because that is the only way to reach his goal.

Old
07-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Bruce Granville

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
Lol, sorry

silly season is just sooo boring...

Someone should get Laine to speak Danish, and Eehls to speak Finish.
You picked the wrong guy for this task.
I bet Puljujarvi would speak better Danish than English within a few months...

Old
07-12-2017, 02:47 PM
JetsFan815
It can't be done :(

Is Laine a linguist now?

Old
07-13-2017, 12:52 AM
Trilliann

vCash: 100
Quote:

Sadly even all the latest Laine articles scream summer
Here is a nice article with pictures AND video
of Laine&Barkov walking to a car and then getting in the car.

http://m.iltalehti.fi/urheilu/201707...40205_ur.shtml

Old
07-13-2017, 05:09 AM
kelsier

Gotta say I'm nowadays more fond of winters than summers. The summers here in Finland aren't what they used to be and I can't remember when's the last time I've gone out just to take some sun. Sure it can be cold in the winter but damn, at least there's hockey and for once I'm actually truly enjoying it. Was there not for Laine, I'm not sure if I was saying such things. Can't wait to see him on ice again. While I'm thrilled to see his off-season results, at the same time I'm more or less worried about what his role is going to be like. Maurice might just find a way so that Laine slumps on his sophomore year or doesn't reach the expectations set upon him. Don't think there's any outside factor other than coaching that could hinder his success. The kid has "glory" written all over. After last season I'd be damned to see him experience another year of rookie treatment. With PaMo you just don't know though. A grown up man who creates fairy tales only to save his own arse. That's just everything opposite to what you'd expect from a good NHL coach.

Old
07-13-2017, 11:39 AM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilliann View Post

Poor Ehlers. It must be tough finding out through the paparazzi that the bromance is over. But it just makes sense for Patrik to want a bro from his own country. Having to talk to Nik in English, dealing with those weird sandwiches with half the bread missing, I'm sure it got old. Personally, I knew this bromance was doomed when Nik insisted on being Batman at Halloween. You just don't come back from that.

Old
07-14-2017, 11:34 AM
ImGoingNucks
The flying Orca

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
Poor Ehlers. It must be tough finding out through the paparazzi that the bromance is over. But it just makes sense for Patrik to want a bro from his own country. Having to talk to Nik in English, dealing with those weird sandwiches with half the bread missing, I'm sure it got old. Personally, I knew this bromance was doomed when Nik insisted on being Batman at Halloween. You just don't come back from that.

I just spewed coffee all over my desk.

Old
07-15-2017, 03:42 AM
Sperss1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilliann View Post

now THAT sounds like awesome unexpected action

Old
07-17-2017, 06:46 AM
QnebO
Wheel, snipe, celly

Laine says that he is in way better fit than he was last season.

He scored 36 at 18..... 30 - ****ing - 6 boys.

Steve stamkos scored 22 at 18 year old season. Ovechkin didin't score 36 even in russian hockey league as 18. Tarasenko scored 21 and he was like 20 when he entered the league, he scored like 9 in KHL when he was 18. Those are best pure goal scorers I fastly can think off, and Laine leaves them in the dust by far. Ovechkins rookie season was rocket, but Laine might actually be able to match ovechkins rookie season when he's 20 too.

And Pat says he's in way better form = I can't wait for season to start again, I hope everything goes very well and fine for this kid in future, too.

Old
07-17-2017, 09:41 AM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Laine says that he is in way better fit than he was last season.

He scored 36 at 18..... 30 - ****ing - 6 boys.

Steve stamkos scored 22 at 18 year old season. Ovechkin didin't score 36 even in russian hockey league as 18. Tarasenko scored 21 and he was like 20 when he entered the league, he scored like 9 in KHL when he was 18. Those are best pure goal scorers I fastly can think off, and Laine leaves them in the dust by far. Ovechkins rookie season was rocket, but Laine might actually be able to match ovechkins rookie season when he's 20 too.

And Pat says he's in way better form = I can't wait for season to start again, I hope everything goes very well and fine for this kid in future, too.
I was expecting a pretty decent summer of physical growth for Pate and glad to hear it is happening. Last year he got off to an incredible start and carried a great shooting % for a long time so I am braced for if it normalizes a bit this year. What I am expecting is that his overall strength increase will impact the all other elements of his game more than his raw goal scoring and we will begin to see more Laine of the future which is a bit more puck dominant, heavier stick, more effective in battles, shielding better, more POWER to blend with his skill game.

Last season we saw every element to his game except experience and power and I think he will have more of both this year but I expect this to be a two to three season growth curve. I will be really interested to see how it will impact his skating?

Old
07-17-2017, 10:06 AM
grieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I was expecting a pretty decent summer of physical growth for Pate and glad to hear it is happening. Last year he got off to an incredible start and carried a great shooting % for a long time so I am braced for if it normalizes a bit this year. What I am expecting is that his overall strength increase will impact the all other elements of his game more than his raw goal scoring and we will begin to see more Laine of the future which is a bit more puck dominant, heavier stick, more effective in battles, shielding better, more POWER to blend with his skill game.

Last season we saw every element to his game except experience and power and I think he will have more of both this year but I expect this to be a two to three season growth curve. I will be really interested to see how it will impact his skating?
Most forwards improve until they are 23 but you can definitely expect an improvement already next season.

Laine's shooting % MAY go down (tho 17% for Laine could just be his norm). What he may lose in personal accuracy and OiSH%, he will gain in shot generation (16% out of many shots is better than 17% out of few shots).

This season they had really bad possession numbers so imagine what it may look like when they have good ones. This is what Laine is capable of at his "worst". Imagine him at his best.

Fact of the matter is, Laine is REALLY UP THERE in terms of his 18yo and pre-NHL performances. And when I say up there, I mean really really up up there. And I'm willing to bet other 18 year-olds were more physically ready for the NHL, although I don't know for sure. Also, many of them didn't have to deal with the whole European "this rink is too small" schtick.

All aboard the Laine train. Destination: Best player in the NHL eventually. McDavid is a worthy final boss.

Last edited by grieves: 07-17-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old
07-17-2017, 01:22 PM
Narow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

We'll see a more net driving laine too... he did that last season too but we will see it more..

He rode that % while shooting top 3 (or 2?) Furthest from the net amongst all forwards....

Lets see what happends when that distance is closer

Closed Thread