HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

What should DT be doing right now?

View Poll Results: What should DT be doing right now?
Acquire veteran players to make a playoff run 14 40.00%
Acquire young players, prospects and picks for the future 13 37.14%
Do nothing -- everything's fine 0 0%
Wait until we get closer to the deadline to make a decision 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Game Misconduct

vCash: 500
What should DT be doing right now?

This poll is a spin-off from another thread where there was a disagreement about how the team should approach the rest of this season. I've made the poll options simple, but we can discuss specifics in the thread if you want, like what type of players and draft picks we should acquire and give up.

Old
02-09-2006, 09:05 PM
B-MEL

Dave should be shredding those bet slips he got fro Rick!

Sincerely,

Barry Melrose

Old
02-09-2006, 09:15 PM
kingsfan25

I'm voting for pickung up some vets...as long as they're the right vets.

And of course, the effectiveness of the acquisitions are contingent upon another, bigger fundamental shakeup.

Old
02-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
He should be on the phone with Andy asking him to his office so that he can let him and his staff go. Anything after that is just gravy.

There isn't anything that the Kings could acquire that would fix the team other than a system change and Andy is unwilling to adapt his system to the current NHL rules.

Old
02-09-2006, 09:21 PM
No One

Get younger.

I do not want this team to trade some picks and prospects for a team that is NOT going to win a cup this year. I am sick of squeaking into the 7th or 8th slot and getting bounced.

Get the pick and prospects, and once we get a team that is in a position like Carolina was, then trade some of them.

Old
02-09-2006, 09:23 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
None of these choices are even CLOSE to the answer to the question "What should DT be doing right now?"

The answer is: Waiting for the call from Tim Leiweke, thanking him for 8+ great years as a General Manager, but finding out that his services are no longer required and that _______________ will be taking his place, and installing a new coaching team in Los Angeles.

Old
02-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I'm ready to say screw this season if we don't get a new coach. I don't think we'll get a new coach until the offseason, so....lets get some more kids in here.

Miller, Army, Corvo, Belanger, Cowan, adios guys, it's been real!

Old
02-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Scottkmlps

I'm choosing neither. He should be taking a coaching clinic, and getting ready to take the reigns behind the bench, cause AM and his staff need to go.
This team IS a good team, AM has lost them, and he needs to go.

Old
02-09-2006, 09:27 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps
I'm choosing neither. He should be taking a coaching clinic, and getting ready to take the reigns behind the bench, cause AM and his staff need to go.
This team IS a good team, AM has lost them, and he needs to go.
I would be immensely happy to see DT behind the bench after the break.

Old
02-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One
Get the pick and prospects, and once we get a team that is in a position like Carolina was, then trade some of them.
That actually makes a bit of sense. Get picks and prospects this season so that, next season at this point, they can be dealt off for quality players (similar to Carolina getting Weight, as you mentioned) in an all-or-nothing drive. Of course, though, "all-or-nothing" is foreign language to the Kings and, next year, DT would probably just wait until the last minute again when the Weights and Sillingers are long gone and the Ronnings and Weinrichs are all that's left. Maybe it doesn't matter what DT does because it'll just be screwed up somewhere along the line by management's and/or coaching's ineptitudes.

Last edited by Osprey: 02-09-2006 at 09:35 PM.
Old
02-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
It is time for a coaching change.

Old
02-09-2006, 09:43 PM
GRuiz98

Send a message via AIM to GRuiz98
I'm not really in favor of moving players for mid to late picks. (except for dempsey, cowan, or those type of players) NO WAY do i take a midlevel pick for someone of matty or miller's calibre. there's a very small chance whoever we would draft would even see any time in an NHL game. But since we have a plethora of youngsters in our system, i think we can afford to package some picks for some proven talent that isn't all that up there in age(not sure who we'd be able to get though).

Old
02-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
He's come around! That's gotta be the death blow to AM!

Old
02-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Cosmos

This year theire is no present, there is only next year..... or more likely the possibility of something in a few years.

Frankly, this ownership, this management needs to quit straddling the middle of the road. In the pre-CBA days it was apparent that even though Staples sold out, ownership imposed a budget. Well here it is post CBA and we still seem to have a budget well below the cap.

I'm a loooooooong time fan that has tired of mediocre teams.

There needs to be a new vision for this organization, one that neither AEG/Liewike/DT/AM are either willing or able to provide.

I'm ready to blow this whole thing up and go real young, hope that some of the new kids and picks come thru. They'll be cheap, and if, ever, the young ones become good, maybe the new owners will spend the extra cap money on a vet or two.

What would it take to get AEG to go back to Colorado and sell this franchise to an owner with a vision that revolved around hockey and the L.A. Kings?

Old
02-09-2006, 09:48 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
He's come around! That's gotta be the death blow to AM!
I second that!

Now, if jt comes around, it's a done deal.......

Old
02-09-2006, 09:49 PM
No One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
(similar to Carolina getting Weight, as you mentioned) in an all-or-nothing drive.
Yep. I also think that Carolina didn't give up too much for Weight. The 2 4th round picks weren't theirs, and the 1st this year is going to be 24-30, in a draft (from the little that I have seen) that does not appear to be too deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Maybe it doesn't matter what DT does because it'll just be screwed up somewhere along the line by management's and/or coaching's ineptitudes.
Scary thought.

Old
02-09-2006, 09:52 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
I would be immensely happy to see DT behind the bench after the break.
How would that fix anything? DT has literally NO experience coaching

Old
02-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Kings have enough youth, and with what they have left on the current roster, I'm not expecting any more 'Smolinski for Gleason' type deals.

If the Kings are to acquire any more youth, they need to add more defensemen, but you'd be hard pressed to find a willing trade partner who is ready to move their D prospects or are willing to cough up a 1st or 2nd rounder.

If the bottom line is to compete and at the very least earn a playoff spot, don't expect another rebuild. It isn't happening. Look at how long the Rangers "rebuilding" took place. They just re-stocked talent and improved. Same goes with the Sabres after moving players like Hasek, Peca and letting Satan and Zhitnik walk.

It happened with the Sharks when they dealt Nolan and let Selanne and Damphousse walk. They all re-stocked on talent, they didn't blow everything up and rebuilt the team.

And it is time for a coaching change. I think Andy Murray will find another NHL job soon, but this particular group of players has grown tired of Andy and his words and methods of motivation.

Old
02-09-2006, 09:57 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
How would that fix anything? DT has literally NO experience coaching
A lack of AM?

Old
02-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
The Kings have enough youth, and with what they have left on the current roster, I'm not expecting any more 'Smolinski for Gleason' type deals.

If the Kings are to acquire any more youth, they need to add more defensemen, but you'd be hard pressed to find a willing trade partner who is ready to move their D prospects or are willing to cough up a 1st or 2nd rounder.

If the bottom line is to compete and at the very least earn a playoff spot, don't expect another rebuild. It isn't happening. Look at how long the Rangers "rebuilding" took place. They just re-stocked talent and improved. Same goes with the Sabres after moving players like Hasek, Peca and letting Satan and Zhitnik walk.

It happened with the Sharks when they dealt Nolan and let Selanne and Damphousse walk. They all re-stocked on talent, they didn't blow everything up and rebuilt the team.

And it is time for a coaching change. I think Andy Murray will find another NHL job soon, but this particular group of players has grown tired of Andy and his words and methods of motivation.
I'm all for dealing the necesary pieeces to keep teh team to gether and re-stock. Miller, Army, Corvo, Belanger and Cowan should do the job I think.

Old
02-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Goallum

Player personnel wise, there is no need for any drastic action. Depending on where we are come March 5th or so, he should play it by ear.

Now as for the coaching staff...

Old
02-09-2006, 11:49 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:

good post......and very true.

I still feel that our youth is being wasted on garbage play. our dump and chase is painful to watch.

Old
02-09-2006, 11:53 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:

Great post.

Old
02-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn

I didn't think I would ever see the day where kingsjohn would post this about Andy Murray.

Kudos to you KJ. That took alot of guts.

Old
02-10-2006, 02:39 AM
Osprey

I was waiting in line today when the Kings' theme song started playing on the radio. Of course, I'm referring to Tom Petty's Free Fallin' . It felt like the entire Kings team was right in line with me

Closed Thread