HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Acceptable Playoff Results

Old
03-31-2017, 08:52 AM
CarolinaBlueJacket

vCash: 500
Acceptable Playoff Results

Riding home last night after the 2-1 OT loss in Carolina my son and I were talking about what would be acceptable playoff results for the Jackets. We both agreed (mostly because I control his allowance) that the minimum result to make us happy would be a 1st round win and not be swept in the 2nd round. Anything more than that would be icing and anything less than that would be dog **** on top of the cake that has been this season
I am curious what you think would be acceptable playoff results this year?

CarolinaBlueJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 09:22 AM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBlueJacket View Post
Riding home last night after the 2-1 OT loss in Carolina my son and I were talking about what would be acceptable playoff results for the Jackets. We both agreed (mostly because I control his allowance) that the minimum result to make us happy would be a 1st round win and not be swept in the 2nd round. Anything more than that would be icing and anything less than that would be dog **** on top of the cake that has been this season
I am curious what you think would be acceptable playoff results this year?
Honestly, as long as they put up a helluva fight in the first round, that's acceptable for me. They may have a top-notch opponent.

But I really, really want them to win a round.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 09:34 AM
Heinze 57

Due to the incredibly dumb playoff format where we, the second best team in the NHL, will play the 3rd best team in the first round I will be fine if they're a tough out in the first round knowing that it should've been a second or third round matchup. I can't fault the team for the bad draw they're about to get. And because that's all I could've hoped for back in October. If they win in the first round I'll be thrilled.

If it were under the old playoff format I would not have been happy with a first round loss because that means we'd lose to an inferior team. Under the old playoff format this is at least a second round, maybe conference finalist squad, sucks we're potentially being robbed of a long playoff run because of this silly restructuring.

Heinze 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 09:46 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

Realistically, a team with the 2nd best record in the league should consider anything less than with the conference or Stanley Cup Finals a disappointment.

As a fan base, they just need to win a playoff series because we've never seen that before. I personally think they need to make it to the Eastern Conference Finals based on the standard they have played to most of the season.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 09:49 AM
Double-Shift Lasse
Just post better

The playoff format makes for an unfortunate situation in trying to answer this question, indeed.

That said, I'm not sure I can answer "acceptable." I'm not sure I'm down with drawing lines in the sand.

And that said, I will be disappointed if they lose, no matter what round it's in. I never got the people who were OK with the loss of the Pens last go round, mainly because they thought the team would be back and this was a good start and we won our first playoff game and the like. I was damned upset after game 6 and think a team should maximize every opportunity it gets.

Old
03-31-2017, 10:08 AM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
The playoff format makes for an unfortunate situation in trying to answer this question, indeed.

That said, I'm not sure I can answer "acceptable." I'm not sure I'm down with drawing lines in the sand.

And that said, I will be disappointed if they lose, no matter what round it's in. I never got the people who were OK with the loss of the Pens last go round, mainly because they thought the team would be back and this was a good start and we won our first playoff game and the like. I was damned upset after game 6 and think a team should maximize every opportunity it gets.
Well, as you've danced around here... this pretty quickly becomes a discussion of semantics. I was crushed by that loss too, but it was acceptable to me - if that makes sense, I dunno!

Expectations shift so quickly, too. This question would have received very different answers at the beginning of the season.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 10:11 AM
Matt Foley
Regular Season Stud

Win a round; everything else after that is gravy.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 10:21 AM
CPTN71
NO SPIN

vCash: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
The impatient side of me totally agrees with this...

Short story: we need to win and get out of the first round, and anything outside of that would seem to be a true accomplishment

Long story: I'll be pissed to the max if we crap the bed and get completely wiped out without making it a close series...

CPTN71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 10:25 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

I have settled for good showings my whole life.. always liked the Sharks and Sens.. but lately teams I root for Blackhawks (childhood team), Cavs and Cubs have become winners and frankly I will not be happy with anything short of the whole enchilada. I saw the Canes do it 05-06 - win the friggin SC Columbus!!!!!!!

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 10:30 AM
PanarinDangles9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Yeah, this.

It sucks that we won't be playing the #7 or 8 team in the East in the first round (Toronto or TB/BOS/CAR/etc), but I guess we have to accept reality. And honestly, I really do believe we can beat Pittsburgh in a 7 game series...even against a healthy Penguins squad.

PanarinDangles9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 10:35 AM
Double-Shift Lasse
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Well, as you've danced around here... this pretty quickly becomes a discussion of semantics.
Both of those are kind of my things.

If/when this team loses in the playoffs, I'll be angry and disappointed. If that means that was "unacceptable" to whomever, fine with me. I wouldn't.

Double-Shift Lasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 11:00 AM
CPTN71
NO SPIN

vCash: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDangles19 View Post
Yeah, this.

It sucks that we won't be playing the #7 or 8 team in the East in the first round (Toronto or TB/BOS/CAR/etc), but I guess we have to accept reality. And honestly, I really do believe we can beat Pittsburgh in a 7 game series...even against a healthy Penguins squad.
If we play them like we have each matchup this season.. yeah, for sure we can do it.

If we play them with the type of play we've had the past 10-15 games... night night!

CPTN71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 11:03 AM
db2011

The whole enchilada would definitely be acceptable.

If the Jackets lose in the first round, there will have been no improvement from the last 2 times they were in the playoffs. If they lose in the second round, it will feel like a missed opportunity and it will suck and not be acceptable, but it will be the logical next step in the progression.

db2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 11:25 AM
Jaxs

The past athlete in me says nothing but winning it all is acceptable. The long suffering fan in me says play your hearts out and let the chips fall where they may.

There are no participation trophies, just a champion.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 11:46 AM
CBJWennberg10
It's Playoff Time

This season was already gravy for me. But for the playoffs a hard fought (6 or 7 game series) first round loss is what I expect/would be OK with.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 11:55 AM
CarolinaBlueJacket

This question can also come from the other side. What is the earliest exit that will be considered a downer on the season? Of course any exit will be a disappointment even if its game 7 of the SCF but realistically it can't be the SCF or bust every year.
Like I mentioned earlier, if they win the 1st round and don't get smoked in the 2nd then although I will be disappointed I will view the season as a success. A couple of large steps will have been taken and a new culture put in place. If they get bounced in the 1st round then I will see that as failure and unsuccessful end to the season.

Old
03-31-2017, 12:04 PM
BobVEZINAsky 110

vCash: 50
It depends on the Pens team the CBJ face. The Pens are an injury disaster right now and facing the current Pens with home ice advantage should be a reasonable series win for CBJ. If Pens are dogging the injuries and end up with a few of their core guys like Malkin, Letang, Guentzel and Maatta back at near 100% by end of season, then I'd hope for just a hard series battle.

I really think it'll be the former. Pens may get a couple guys in the line-up, but doubt they're 100% and often other injuries come up from being pushed back to soon.

After 1st series win, anything else is just house money, especially vs Caps.

Just hard to be too disappointed if they lose to a healthy Pens team that won the Stanley Cup last year or a back-to-back President's Trophy winning Caps team. Just tough draws for first round. But what a statement it would be if they did make at least the ECFs over those two teams despite the Pens injuries.

Last edited by BobVEZINAsky 110: 03-31-2017 at 12:10 PM.
BobVEZINAsky 110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 12:16 PM
MoeBartoli
Chex-to-Jax

Anything less than a first round series win will be disappointing. But I'm sure the Pens fans are thinking the same.... Hence the problem with this format. One team will go home yet never should have been put in that position. As to likely facing the Pens inround one, someone on the main Board said life isn't fair; to which I replied "true", but that doesn't mean it should be led intentionally stupidly - and this format is stupid.

I will be disappointed if we don't win round one, yet will understand it if we don't. That said, let's get the Offense in gear so we're not competing with one armed tied behind our back.

MoeBartoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 12:34 PM
Cyclones Rock

After 16 years, 10 playoff games with only two wins, no divisional championships and only banner hanging in the rafters is that of the founder of the team, it's time to win a ****ing series.

People like to overvalue their team and think that some substantial "window" exists. The time is now. End of story.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 12:42 PM
Heinze 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
It depends on the Pens team the CBJ face. The Pens are an injury disaster right now and facing the current Pens with home ice advantage should be a reasonable series win for CBJ. If Pens are dogging the injuries and end up with a few of their core guys like Malkin, Letang, Guentzel and Maatta back at near 100% by end of season, then I'd hope for just a hard series battle.

I really think it'll be the former. Pens may get a couple guys in the line-up, but doubt they're 100% and often other injuries come up from being pushed back to soon.

Just hard to be too disappointed if they lose to a healthy Pens team that won the Stanley Cup last year or a back-to-back President's Trophy winning Caps team. Just tough draws for first round. But what a statement it would be if they did make at least the ECFs over those two teams despite the Pens injuries.
if they can get through both Pittsburgh and Washington I see no reason they can't win the whole damn thing. Those would be their two hardest series.

Heinze 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 01:30 PM
JacketsDavid

What I expect - first round win. Then leave it all out there vs Washington in 2nd round.
What would disappoint me - Losing in first round in 6 games or less.

Look I didn't expect us to make the playoffs. So I should be happy getting in. But with new seeding process we're going to be (likely) playing a experienced Pittsburgh team. If they are healthy they are likely better than us. But we typically play pretty good against them
I hate getting Washington in round 2. We don't match up well with them, especially with our offense struggling. Have to hope they somehow lose in round 1.

JacketsDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 01:32 PM
Geki

What!?! Guys, I don't know how to tell you this. But this team legit can beat anyone in the league. They know it, you should know it too. I know there's a lot of beaten dogs in here, who've been hurt before. But I'm telling you, these guys have something.

Geki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 01:42 PM
CarolinaBlueJacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geki View Post
What!?! Guys, I don't know how to tell you this. But this team legit can beat anyone in the league. They know it, you should know it too. I know there's a lot of beaten dogs in here, who've been hurt before. But I'm telling you, these guys have something.

I appreciate your optimism and you are right and I would agree with you if it were any team except the Jackets. I hope they do win the SC but years and years of beatings have given me abused wife syndrome.

Old
03-31-2017, 02:23 PM
The Wheelchair

Rational side of me says win a series and I'll look back on this season as a success, no matter how much it'll hurt to see them eliminated.

Emotional side says I want to see this team win the East and at least put up a fight in the Cup finals. I want all the eyes of the hockey world on this team, I want everyone to see what we've seen all year, I want them all to realize how wrong they were.

But I'm patient. I'll settle for a series win this time, and they can win the Cup next year.

The Wheelchair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 03:10 PM
major major

It's already been a great season. I wouldn't use the words acceptable/unacceptable - what are you going to do about it? Honestly it would have to go pretty terribly for me not to feel good about this team this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post

Malkin and Letang will very likely be back. Don't know about Maatta but he's not great in any case. I think the Pens could still be beat.

major major is online now   Reply With Quote