HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acceptable Playoff Results

Old
03-31-2017, 04:28 PM
WerenskiRules

vCash: 500
The Jackets, Really...Really, badly need to hold on to second and have home ice against the Pingions....the fifth line is more important than ever before this playoff run

WerenskiRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 06:33 PM
CBJfan44

For me, the fact we are going to the playoffs are a bonus. Jackets were 27th overall last year, with minimal additions to that roster, no one gave them a shot a the playoffs before the season. They've gone on to have the best season in franchise history.

When I look at it at the context of what they've accomplished this season, regardless of what "they should have been" in the preseason it's winning a first round series. If they have home ice as the 2nd seed in the Metro, they should by format, be the team that wins. If they have to face the best team in the NHL in the 2nd round, and they bow out, so be it.

At the end of the day, I'm happy with this Jackets team because the best is yet to come regardless of how this season ends.

CBJfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 07:10 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinze 57 View Post
Due to the incredibly dumb playoff format where we, the second best team in the NHL, will play the 3rd best team in the first round I will be fine if they're a tough out in the first round knowing that it should've been a second or third round matchup. I can't fault the team for the bad draw they're about to get. And because that's all I could've hoped for back in October. If they win in the first round I'll be thrilled.

If it were under the old playoff format I would not have been happy with a first round loss because that means we'd lose to an inferior team. Under the old playoff format this is at least a second round, maybe conference finalist squad, sucks we're potentially being robbed of a long playoff run because of this silly restructuring.
I pretty much agree with this.

Before the season started, I was hoping we'd make the playoffs. Given the performance of the Jackets, it would be nice to make the 2nd or 3rd round. But given their opponent (likely Pittsburgh or Washington), it's tough to say that I would expect it in the same way as I would if they were playing a bubble team.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 08:02 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Meh...I love hockey and have thoroughly enjoyed this season to date. The Jackets have already exceeded my expectations for the year. I thought they would be competing for a wild card berth and maybe make it in, maybe not. If they play their game and stay resilient I'll be happy. If they lose a series no matter when, I'll be disappointed and yet thrilled with the season itself.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2017, 08:55 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

If we don't make it into this thing, I'm rooting for you guys.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Malkin and Letang will very likely be back. Don't know about Maatta but he's not great in any case. I think the Pens could still be beat.
I'm not sold on Letang being back. We've heard so little about his injury. Aside from a little blurb on the radio a few days ago in PA that said it was a back problem, I haven't really heard anything other than "progressing."

I expect Malkin, Daley and Maatta to be back. Guentzel and Hainsey played tonight.

I think the Pens' effectiveness will be determined on how they can move the puck without Letang and whether or not Malkin is at 100%. I don't really expect either to be the case, and even if they are both healthy, I expect each game to be a toss-up.

I think you guys are going to take this one. The Pens aren't going to beat you guys up, so even if it's a long series it shouldn't be too punishing for the Jackets. The Penguins on the other hand.. Washington after you guys would be rough. I think Washington is looming in the backs of all our minds.

I'm happy to see playoff hockey again in Columbus. The city is excited. I hope you guys do well if you beat the Pens even though I know many of you hate hearing it. Sorry.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 12:30 AM
hardkorejackets

vCash: 678
I would accept a 6-7 game hard fought series vs Pittsburgh where we came to play every night and battled, but just ended up falling a bit short.

I would love to advance onto the 2nd round of the playoffs and get to probably face the Caps. I think that would be a very nice building block for the future of this franchise.. Setting expectations, good playoff experience, and hopefully helping increasing the fan base.

But, I'm thankful for the Jacket's season.. It got me back to really enjoying watching hockey games once again frequently.. About to go to my 15th game of the year living 2+ hours away. A number of times (especially early/middle of the season) I was actually pretty proud of this team and kept saying "This team is different"... My girlfriend who never heard of the Blue Jackets or probably the NHL for that matter some 1.5 years ago living in Indiana is about to go to her 4th hockey game of the year with me, routinely scoreboard watches every Jacket's game now, and knows several player's names on this team.

It's been a good year. I'd just like to see this team fight tooth and nail.

hardkorejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Proutfan

Prout's gone so its a disappointing season no matter what they do in the playoffs.

Proutfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 10:32 PM
CarolinaBlueJacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proutfan View Post
Prout's gone so its a disappointing season no matter what they do in the playoffs.
I believe you are more likely to find a serial killer nun on here than you are to find another member who agrees with you.

CarolinaBlueJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2017, 07:40 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
I'd be very unhappy if the Jackets come up against Lucic in the playoffs without Prout to intimidate him.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2017, 08:29 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
I'd be very unhappy if the Jackets come up against Lucic in the playoffs without Prout to intimidate him.
I'd be very happy if the Jackets come up against Lucic in the playoffs.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2017, 09:24 AM
leesmith
Still in.

Win at least one playoff series. Period.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2017, 09:25 AM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3074326 View Post
I'm not sold on Letang being back. We've heard so little about his injury. Aside from a little blurb on the radio a few days ago in PA that said it was a back problem, I haven't really heard anything other than "progressing."

I expect Malkin, Daley and Maatta to be back. Guentzel and Hainsey played tonight.

I think the Pens' effectiveness will be determined on how they can move the puck without Letang and whether or not Malkin is at 100%. I don't really expect either to be the case, and even if they are both healthy, I expect each game to be a toss-up.

I think you guys are going to take this one. The Pens aren't going to beat you guys up, so even if it's a long series it shouldn't be too punishing for the Jackets. The Penguins on the other hand.. Washington after you guys would be rough. I think Washington is looming in the backs of all our minds.

I'm happy to see playoff hockey again in Columbus. The city is excited. I hope you guys do well if you beat the Pens even though I know many of you hate hearing it. Sorry.
Washington is a steamroller. We can only hope their recent history of playoff ineptitude continues.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2017, 12:39 PM
CPTN71
NO SPIN

vCash: 50
Quote:
Lol!! Love the loyalty, seriously.

CPTN71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2017, 02:45 PM
blahblah

Is there really anything unacceptable? The clock kind of reset since our last playoff visit, we have a lot of different players in key roles.

This is hopefully our feel out year in our "window".

Whoever comes out of the Metro is likely to have been through the ringer.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2017, 09:51 PM
We Want Two
Gameday Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Is there really anything unacceptable? The clock kind of reset since our last playoff visit, we have a lot of different players in key roles.

This is hopefully our feel out year in our "window".

Whoever comes out of the Metro is likely to have been through the ringer.
Getting swept would suck. It would bring out of the woodwork all the "told ya so" yahoo's on the mains. And probably some here.

I'd personally like to win a round. It'd be great to get some playoff experience and since it looks like we will be playing the Pens it kind of kills two birds with one stone.

We Want Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2017, 09:56 PM
CarolinaBlueJacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
If we don't make it into this thing, I'm rooting for you guys.
Thanks for beating the Jackets and losing to the Pens this week. That has cost the CBJ home ice. Yes, I am holding you personally responsible.

CarolinaBlueJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:00 AM
The Old Guy
Who Are Those Guys?

vCash: 50
I have really enjoyed this season. The Blue Jackets have failed to follow the script.

As for playoffs: this time next week, everybody is going to write their script about how the 16 teams are going to fare in the playoffs.

Whatever that is, just don't follow script. I don't care who the CBJ play. I don't care where the game is. Continue to surprise. Don't follow the script.

The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 01:04 PM
General Saad

Personally, I think we beat Pittsburgh in a 7 game series, and then Washington beats us. Having said that, give me competitive playoff hockey. We were one of the worst teams in the nhl last year, added 5 rookies and Gagner to roster, and have the 4th best record in Nhl, within a game or so of second best. Thats all you could ever ask , realistically for this season. How will our rookies respond to their first playoff series ? Usually you see young teams have to take steps. Playoff experience matters, and Washington, and Pitt have consistently made it deep into playoffs, every year.

Now, the Nhl playoff seeding is an absolute joke . To have to face Pittsburgh, then Washington, while teams that squeak in playoffs can play middle of the road teams , and advance , is a joke. Should always be 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc .

General Saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Playoff seeding was done to reinforce divisional rivalries. It has proven to be a catastrophe this year. But the only way to even get the league to consider a change is if the Jackets knock off both the Pens and Caps. I'm pretty sure the league's media partners would take note of a situation in which those teams were out of the broadcast picture but didn't have to be. It'd be nice to think "unfairness" to the CBJ would make a difference but I doubt it.

Old
04-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Cyclones Rock

I'm indifferent toward the playoff formatting. I'd just chalk up this season's Metro Divison's dominance and the subsequent "unfair" early opponents to statistical anomaly. To win the Stanley Cup, one has to beat the best. If they come early, then it's a "just deal with it" proposition.

The CBJ current goal scoring drought aside, they still rank 6th in the league in goals scored. They're 2nd in the league in goals differential as well. The hope is that the last 10 or so games is nothing more than the typical scoring lulls that most teams go through in a long season in a league where scoring isn't very high to begin with.

That being said, Hartnell's 30 game goal less streak, Saad's less than stellar last 40 or so games, Werenski's possible playoff miss due to injury and Wennberg's recent disappearing act aren't very reassuring. No matter how good one's defense/goaltending is, or whether one has home ice advantage or not, a 2 goals per game scoring average is going to spell a round 1 defeat against Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 04-03-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I'm indifferent toward the playoff formatting. I'd just chalk up this season's Metro Divison's dominance and the subsequent "unfair" early opponents to statistical anomaly. To win the Stanley Cup, one has to beat the best. If they come early, then it's a "just deal with it" proposition.
To be clear, I share this approach. Every year the sports punditry complains about NFL playoff berths and seeding. Eff that.

I was simply addressing what I think would need to happen to effect change.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 01:46 PM
Proutfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBlueJacket View Post
I believe you are more likely to find a serial killer nun on here than you are to find another member who agrees with you.
Agreed. But did you realize April fools?

Proutfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 02:06 PM
txpd

you get your second round series in the first round.
you get your third round series in the second round.
you get your first round series in the third round(if you make it that far)

it doesn't seem right.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:05 PM
General Saad

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
you get your second round series in the first round.
you get your third round series in the second round.
you get your first round series in the third round(if you make it that far)

it doesn't seem right.
Theres no doubt. Common sense went out the window.If you have to have a gimmick to force division rivalries, I would suggest there are bigger issues. What good does it do to have a really good regular season , come a few points from the presidents cup, and 2 of the top 3 teams in the league, meet in the first round ? Is there another league that has used, or currently uses this stupid format ?

General Saad is offline   Reply With Quote