HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Flames will move without a new Arena

Old
04-14-2017, 01:11 PM
Roughneck

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
The stampede is the first week of july every year. They can't rebuild anything there. They couldn't start anything till august and where do the Flames play in the meantime?
I'm not sure what you're getting at.

They'll play in the Saddledome while a new one is being built.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 01:22 PM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAUSA1 View Post
Quebec Flames , has a nice ring to it.
Quebec LaFlames

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 01:37 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETZZZ View Post
Its a shame that something that costs so much is never built to last
Yep my house is 60 years old, sure it's had renovations but still in great shape.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 06:06 PM
aemoreira1981

If Calgary does move, to where it could it realistically locate? Going back to Atlanta (they played at the Omni for a while before the owner went bankrupt and sold the team to Calgary interests). Other possibilities include Kansas City, New Orleans and Oklahoma City. Two of the three cities have NBA teams already NBA teams...I would see Oklahoma City as the likely winner if Calgary does relocate as the Chesapeake Energy Center is already built to both NBA and NHL standards and that arena can host a relocated NHL team on a permanent basis. (OKC used to host the Oilers' AHL team until franchises were moved west to form a new AHL West division, although they didn't play in what was then the Ford Center.) Oklahoma City is far enough from Denver, Dallas, and St. Louis to not impede on any of those markets.

I notably did not include Houston, where the Rockets owner, Les Alexander, who manages the Toyota Center as the master leaseholder on that arena, evicted the Houston Aeros AHL team. I doubt that there could be NHL hockey there, even though the market is larger than any of those I mentioned.

aemoreira1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 06:18 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
If Calgary does move, to where it could it realistically locate? Going back to Atlanta (they played at the Omni for a while before the owner went bankrupt and sold the team to Calgary interests). Other possibilities include Kansas City, New Orleans and Oklahoma City. Two of the three cities have NBA teams already NBA teams...I would see Oklahoma City as the likely winner if Calgary does relocate as the Chesapeake Energy Center is already built to both NBA and NHL standards and that arena can host a relocated NHL team on a permanent basis. (OKC used to host the Oilers' AHL team until franchises were moved west to form a new AHL West division, although they didn't play in what was then the Ford Center.) Oklahoma City is far enough from Denver, Dallas, and St. Louis to not impede on any of those markets.

I notably did not include Houston, where the Rockets owner, Les Alexander, who manages the Toyota Center as the master leaseholder on that arena, evicted the Houston Aeros AHL team. I doubt that there could be NHL hockey there, even though the market is larger than any of those I mentioned.
If the flames do move for example its not going to be to a eastern conference location due to the imbalance issue.

gstommylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2017, 06:40 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post

it was Cox Convention Center aka the Myriad where the Barons and CHL Blazers played, I don't see Chesepeake accomodating an NHL tenant unless Bennett has a change of interest in adding a hockey team, hence why Cox Center remains standing in part due to the Thunder's exclusivity agreement at Chesepeake, if that's even feasible that would've occurred by now.

Kansas City we all know is a no, even despite the rumbling surrounding the Mavericks and a Blues affiliation.

New Orleans depends on whether Benson and successors want to add another franchise to their extensive holdings they have currently between the Pelicans and Saints or are they comfortable with the status quo.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 10:16 AM
Atticus Finch
Sun Belt Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
it was Cox Convention Center aka the Myriad where the Barons and CHL Blazers played, I don't see Chesepeake accomodating an NHL tenant unless Bennett has a change of interest in adding a hockey team, hence why Cox Center remains standing in part due to the Thunder's exclusivity agreement at Chesepeake, if that's even feasible that would've occurred by now.

Kansas City we all know is a no, even despite the rumbling surrounding the Mavericks and a Blues affiliation.

New Orleans depends on whether Benson and successors want to add another franchise to their extensive holdings they have currently between the Pelicans and Saints or are they comfortable with the status quo.
NOLA is much too small a market to support an other pro sports team, the Pelicans are already towards the bottom in NBA attendance. It's 46th largest metro would be only slightly more than Buffalo.

Atticus Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 04:34 PM
CorbeauNoir

The West needs an expansion team AND potentially a soft landing spot for Phoenix. If there was any tangible weight behind relocation threats they're not going East.

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 05:26 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I don't know why you'd go to NOLA when that seems like the least NHL-friendly market ever. Surely, you gotta go after all the white hipster cities first as those guys love the NHL these days.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2017, 08:10 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan79 View Post
A fair point, to the extent the basketball retrofit of Philips certainly suggests no interest by Ressler in having dual tenants. However, the Falcons and MLS's Atlanta United are staying downtown. The United games are entirely sold out and setting league records, and there's certainly a healthy crossover between that fan base and the old hockey fanbase (so much so that the "supporters" section of the stadium yell Thrashers-era chants during the national anthem).

As a point of minor clarification, the Braves moved to the northern suburbs, not southern, fwiw.
Has Ressler even been contacted by the NHL? It would make a big difference.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 07:02 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 50
I used to live in Calgary. No way are the Flames gonna move. Its the old "build it or we'll go"... all gesturing and posturing and hyperbole to get the City to do something.

Calgarians have heard this song and dance before.

roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Slush

I'll have to find a new team to cheer for if this happens.

Slush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 08:44 PM
bbud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
The city is going to cave sooner or later. Sad that they need taxpayer money to get this done. Oilers threatened and got their way as well.

Is there any team in the league that has built their rink without taxpayer money? I'd love to know the list.
It doesnt matter what should be getting done is the multi million dollar paid chairman should be doing his most dedicated hands on work to help ownership find a workable solution for the Flames instead of threats .
Calgary fans deserve at least that from the NHL and btw im a Canuck fan but also a Canadian fan .

bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:41 AM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Has Ressler even been contacted by the NHL? It would make a big difference.
At the time the league was anxiously solving two problems, no longer having the Atlanta Spirit Group as owners and putting a team back in Winnipeg, the rumor (not sure if there are any direct quotes) was that the NHL would not consider Atlanta again until there was an arena in "the northern suburbs." There won't likely be one of those anytime soon, because the Hawks have extended their lease to 2046 at Philips Arena.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:07 PM
Mightygoose

Plan B vision expected to be unveiled on Monday

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ncil-1.4079031

Apparently now to be call the 'Victoria Park Option'. Looking forward to hear the $$ plan and how the Flames responds unless they're already in talks for this.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:11 PM
viper0220

I think Victoria Park was the plan all long, CalgaryNext was hyped up by the Flames, so they could get a good deal on Victoria Park arena.

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 03:04 PM
flames12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post

Apparently now to be call the 'Victoria Park Option'. Looking forward to hear the $$ plan and how the Flames responds unless they're already in talks for this.
Ken King will ask the city to pay for 80% of the cost.

flames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 11:26 AM
Mightygoose

Some details on the Victoria Park plan including the location being looked at.

http://www.660news.com/2017/04/21/de...algary-flames/

Was hoping there was some details on even the estimate of the cost on the arena. The land is owned by the Stampede and apparently open with a land swap for the city in exchange with where the Saddledome sits.

Council to discuss on Monday to move forward to explore this.

Still think it's a intentional drawn out process until the city formally decides they're going for the 2026 games.

Old
04-22-2017, 01:52 PM
Roughneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
I think Victoria Park was the plan all long, CalgaryNext was hyped up by the Flames, so they could get a good deal on Victoria Park arena.
I think it was the acceptable fall back but they really wanted to get a stadium deal through as well.

CalgaryNEXT was their Hail Mary idea, but I think it did backfire quite a bit in that it probably meant they're not going to get as easy a deal as they might have had they done the Victoria Park process right and as the Plan A option. The public response wasn't what I think they thought it would be, and the city has the advantage now.

Certainly a lot more opportunities for overlapping various infrastructure spending than a West Village location ever offered.

Old
04-24-2017, 12:59 AM
Kumamon

it's just a scare tactics.

Kumamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 10:58 AM
Mightygoose

Yesterday council votes unanimously to continue to explore an arena plan at Victoria Park

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...rk-moves-ahead

A motion was failed to scrap CalgaryNEXT completely by a 12-3 margin and even Nenshi voted to keep it 'alive'.

King seems open to working with Victoria Park which is a positive but it looks like for now CalgaryNEXT is the new 'Plan B'.

Old
05-01-2017, 03:19 PM
Mightygoose

Calgary bid exploration committee gives an intern report in the feasibility of hosting the 2026 Winter Games.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ison-1.4093542

This may be OT......

Quote:
He said one area where the city couldn't skimp, however, is on arenas.

"You do require two full-sized arenas to host the games," Hanson said. "So that's just a fact."
....or maybe not.

Mentions on potential cost savings on having the events clustered close together. Having 2 full sized arena about half a kilometer apart will align with that...

Old
05-02-2017, 04:58 PM
Ballz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post

Looks like a reasonable plan/location. Big downside assumption; it removes the "community revitalization" aspect that many teams have been using to receive public funds.

Ballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 07:50 PM
The Messiah

vCash: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush View Post
I'll have to find a new team to cheer for if this happens.

Oilers are already preparing for this with the recent and upcoming jersey changes #conspiracytheory

The Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 07:51 PM
Roughneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz View Post
Looks like a reasonable plan/location. Big downside assumption; it removes the "community revitalization" aspect that many teams have been using to receive public funds.
The city wants it there because it works with ongoing revitalization projects in the East Village and Victoria Park. The CalgaryNEXT location would cannibalize that development which is one of the reasons the city didn't care for it.