HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Flames will move without a new Arena

Old
04-01-2017, 10:02 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 500
Yeah....sure... go ahead.... Move where?

Right now there are 2 teams on the potential move list, Calgary would make 3. They all going to move to Quebec City? Because there is no where else.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 10:07 AM
USAUSA1

Someone mention this is all fake news. I guess until we get an official statement it's a rumor

USAUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Satan
a e s t h e t i c

vCash: 69
Back to Atlanta

Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 10:11 AM
cutchemist42

Interesting how a Canadian city handles this. I get the feeling a bigger percentage of American cities have been aaying no lately to the scam.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 10:14 AM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Yeah....sure... go ahead.... Move where?

Right now there are 2 teams on the potential move list, Calgary would make 3. They all going to move to Quebec City? Because there is no where else.
And even that, it only makes sense if they sell the Flames to Quebecor.

If even if they to pull that trigger, what will that do to all of the other properties? Stamps, Roughnecks and Hitmen. They'll be a massive season ticket revolt and sponsors lost with the rest of them.

I didn't get a chance to listen to the interview, but it sounds like King's response from Nenshi's 'it's dead' comment the other day.

With the team and city in the midst of looking at the Plan B, which the Flames are open to and plus the 2026 games still being looked at, it would be nice if both Nenshi and Bettman zip it and let this thing stay behind the scenes where it belongs until there is a real update to present.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 10:20 AM
iFan
Horvat to Virtanen

As a Calgary tax payer **** them! Why should tax money be used on this to make others rich

iFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 10:21 AM
Melrose Munch

To where?

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 10:26 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFan View Post
As a Calgary tax payer **** them! Why should tax money be used on this to make others rich
This is my attitude exactly. If the rich whiney billionaires want a new rink they can build it themselves. I've said as much in letters to both my local city councilor and the mayor's office.

If they want to turn their back on an extremely lucrative market then they should simply go. There must be an American desert jonesan for an NHL team - they can go there.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 10:27 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
To where?
Exactly. The City of Calgary (Council, staff, citizens, everybody) should call their bluff and hold the door open.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 10:30 AM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Taking the Katz approach to negotiations? Only, he's doing it in the middle of an oil price crash that's making debt pile up all over the place in gov't.

oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 10:35 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
It puts Bettman in an interesting situation.

His job here is to back the owner and push for a new building, including making threats like these.

But if the city calls his bluff, it would be beyond absurd for Bettman to back the owner in relocating the team. This isn't some toxic situation where the team can't survive if it stays. The whole idea of the Flames relocating is absurd, as they clearly are not a distressed franchise to begin with.

Could be interesting times ahead for Gary if push comes to shove.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 10:37 AM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

I actually really like how the Calgary people and government are standing up to the Flames and the NHL here. These major league sports organizations need to be told "no" when it comes to tax payer dollars subsidizing a new arena.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 10:48 AM
Nullus Reverentia

It's obviously an empty threat. The NHL won't let them move.

Also, arenas are public goods even if it's not an economically profitable venture for the city. I'm not a big fan of using the economics argument as a sweeping reason for no public funding for sports team. I understand if a city/state doesn't want to do it, but the taxpayer argument is garbage. Your taxes go to lots of things you won't like. Canada gives $4.3 billion in ODA, and there's a whole argument that ODA is useless, but no country is going to stop giving it. I don't really care about building a stadium, as long as the government partially controls revenue.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 10:55 AM
iFan
Horvat to Virtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullus Reverentia View Post

Also, arenas are public goods even if it's not an economically profitable venture for the city. I'm not a big fan of using the economics argument as a sweeping reason for no public funding for sports team. I understand if a city/state doesn't want to do it, but the taxpayer argument is garbage. Your taxes go to lots of things you won't like. Canada gives $4.3 billion in ODA, and there's a whole argument that ODA is useless, but no country is going to stop giving it. I don't really care about building a stadium, as long as the government partially controls revenue.
And this needs to stop, just because Canada is bleeding money to other countries, to CBC etc off the backs of tax payers, whose taxes just keep going up, doesn't mean it's ok to continue this practice.

Old
04-01-2017, 11:04 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETZZZ View Post
Its a shame that something that costs so much is never built to last
A building life is about 30 to 35 years, unless corners were cut. See the Metrodome in Minneapolis for an example. It opened in April 1982 and was demolished in January 2014. It was built on the cheap, had problems and surprised me by lasting that long in a relatively harsh climate.

You can renovate or tear it down depending on the design and costs for each.

On the other hand, you have the Colosseum in Rome. It took 8 years to build, opening in 80 AD. It is crumbling, but much of it still stands. It seated 50,000.

Didn't the current arena in Calgary get built for the Olympics in 1988? I heard that Calgary is trying to get the 2026 games, which should be announced in about 2 years. Can't they wait a few more seasons for the new arena, one way or another?

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 11:15 AM
shoop

vCash: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post
Typical stuff. Empty threats, but eventually the city will give money, happens everytime.
King is being shrewd. I suspect this is a plan to find an alternative candidate to run against Neshi in the fall.

It's tough timing with the economy in the sewer in Calgary. This is the Flames ever threatened to move so explicitly.

fwiw there are cities that could do it. KC has a rink. Seattle is a possibility. They would both be Western conference.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 11:16 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
This is my attitude exactly. If the rich whiney billionaires want a new rink they can build it themselves. I've said as much in letters to both my local city councilor and the mayor's office.

If they want to turn their back on an extremely lucrative market then they should simply go. There must be an American desert jonesan for an NHL team - they can go there.
In Milwaukee, the 3 billionaires that own the Bucks put up half of the cost for the new arena. But they are getting a sweetheart deal on parking lots, bars and restaurants near the arena site. It is kind of disgusting to me.

The Brewers paid $90 million out of $400 M for Miller Park, but they were nearly broke at the time. Miller Brewing is paying $2 M a year for 20 years of naming rights. That was $42 M of the $90 M. I had a stadium bond that was good for 13 years. I sold it for a profit to help pay for college for my kids. It was double tax free. Miller Park still isn't paid off after 16 years. It will be a few more years.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 11:18 AM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Quebec City has a new building...this could get interesting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Bean View Post
Maybe Atlanta can get it's team back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAUSA1 View Post
Quebec Flames , has a nice ring to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan View Post
Back to Atlanta
You guys already forgot how much the league doesn't like the current conference balance and needs to fix it right ?

I mean why would Flames move to Qc or Altlanta is Coyotes cannot move to Qc or Atlanta.

It's Seattle or bust.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 11:20 AM
snipetype

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
King is being shrewd. I suspect this is a plan to find an alternative candidate to run against Neshi in the fall.

It's tough timing with the economy in the sewer in Calgary. This is the Flames ever threatened to move so explicitly.

fwiw there are cities that could do it. KC has a rink. Seattle is a possibility. They would both be Western conference.
The Flames owner is greedy ****. There is no way he's going to spend hundreds of million of dollars to move to a market that might not make money, from a market that is profitable.

snipetype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 11:20 AM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFan View Post
And this needs to stop, just because Canada is bleeding money to other countries, to CBC etc off the backs of tax payers, whose taxes just keep going up, doesn't mean it's ok to continue this practice.
But it's not going to stop and there is nothing you can do to make them. Even Trump isn't cancelling foreign aid (he isn't cancelling or diminishing contributions to PEPFAR or the Global Fund for example) despite the rhetoric. At least funding stadium's gives you a tangible asset. If you team moves, the whole city has an awful feeling for years after. It's a happiness and pride factor, something which you can't quantify in monetary numbers.

I think everyone would like lower taxes, but if they don't fund the stadium they'll fund something else people won't like. I say my as well fund the stadium.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 11:21 AM
iFan
Horvat to Virtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post

The NHL won't let a huge market like Calgary go... not a chance, it's a horrible business move for the NHL. The NHL won't want to lose all the money, exposure, support, fans, the battle of Alberta marketing, how does moving the Flames out of Calgary benefit the league?

Old
04-01-2017, 11:21 AM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETZZZ View Post
Its a shame that something that costs so much is never built to last
That's not so much the case with more recent arenas. Back then arenas were pretty much just slabs of concrete with seats that were intended for you to come in, watch the game, then go home. Where as today they are built to be more like actual establishments. Rexall Place cost $17 million to build. At $83 million in 2017 dollars that's still incredibly cheap.

Reunion Arena in Dallas was demolished after only 29 years. That would be like, in only 6 years time the Canucks being told they need a new arena.

Today's arenas hold much more longevity than the ones from 40 years ago.

End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 11:25 AM
iFan
Horvat to Virtanen

Quote:
But it's not going to stop and there is nothing you can do to make them. Even Trump isn't cancelling foreign aid (he isn't cancelling or diminishing contributions to PEPFAR or the Global Fund for example) despite the rhetoric. At least funding stadium's gives you a tangible asset. If you team moves, the whole city has an awful feeling for years after. It's a happiness and pride factor, something which you can't quantify in monetary numbers.

I think everyone would like lower taxes, but if they don't fund the stadium they'll fund something else people won't like. I say my as well fund the stadium.
How does moving the Flames out of Calgary benefit the league?

Old
04-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Elephant Igloo

Quote:
The NHL is a copycat league, and if the NFL could have three teams move in just over a year, the NHL will happily let the Flames move to Seattle, Portland, Houston, or Atlanta to prove their gun is loaded too.

Elephant Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2017, 11:33 AM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show

This is going to become a bigger issue moving forward with a lot of cities. You can only squeeze the taxpayer so much and lot of them are saying "no thanks" to arenas.

Warden of the North is offline   Reply With Quote