HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2016-17 General NHL Fan Talk - Part the Third (News n' Scores n' Stuff) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2017, 07:04 PM
CapsRuinedMySleep
Back for more!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaSemin28 View Post
Why? It completely ruins its global appeal. It's the problem with football in the Summer Olympics. The U23 rule completely neuters any interest in the sport globally. An U20 rule for hockey would just appeal to Canadians on the whole and that's it.
I don't think it ruins anything. Those U20 tournaments are some of the most thrilling hockey there is, you still get the nationalistic aspect but the outcome is very unpredictable. With pros you know Canada will win it 99% of the time unless someone upsets them. With teens you still get a high level but anything goes. Didn't Finland win a few years ago in OT? USA just won in a shootout. Russia pulled a comeback of all comebacks in Buffalo.

It would be like this but on a global level.

Old
04-03-2017, 07:04 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Pro's representing the US in the Olympics wore off for me after the Dream Team. Much rather have college kids back representing the US in hockey and basketball. Whatever the reason for his decision, I like what Bettman did.

Old
04-03-2017, 07:57 PM
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
I love Lars.

Sens losing 2-1 to the Wings after 2 periods. On the PP, though, to start the third.

Old
04-03-2017, 08:11 PM
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
I love Lars.

Erik, Son of Karl ties it up at 2-2. Detroit has just retaken the lead with 15 minutes to go.

Old
04-03-2017, 08:17 PM
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
I love Lars.

Ottawa goes down 4-2 then promptly scores 22 seconds later. Barn burner.

Old
04-03-2017, 08:27 PM
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
I love Lars.

Ottawa ties it up with 7 1/2 minutes to play. Quite a good game.

Old
04-03-2017, 08:41 PM
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
I love Lars.

Ottawa gets it to OT. Huge point for them, at the very least.

Toronto up 4-1 with 3 minutes to play. Huge win for them, likely.

Old
04-03-2017, 08:50 PM
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
I love Lars.

Toronto wins. Passes Boston in the standings and are 5 up on TBay.
Ottawa in the Bettmanout. Will be at least 4 up on TBay and maybe 5.

Edit: Ottawa loses in the Bettmanout.

Last edited by ALLCAPSALLTHETIME: 04-03-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old
04-03-2017, 10:15 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that if the Pens lose in regulation tomorrow and the Caps get any kind of win, they clinch the PT.

Old
04-03-2017, 10:17 PM
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
I love Lars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicapsfan View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that if the Pens lose in regulation tomorrow and the Caps get any kind of win, they clinch the PT.
I believe that is correct.

Old
04-04-2017, 12:32 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicapsfan View Post
Capitals only need 1 point. Pens OT/SO loss + Caps win works also.

Toronto and Boston games are still important, both are likely opponents in the first round, gotta destroy them, anything less than playoff hockey against either of these teams should be very concerning...

Yeah... Oops. Just noticed Columbus... You're correct.

Last edited by SimplySensational: 04-04-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old
04-04-2017, 09:08 AM
SashaSemin28
My Krasnaya Mashina

vCash: 833
Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsRuinedMySleep View Post
I don't think it ruins anything. Those U20 tournaments are some of the most thrilling hockey there is, you still get the nationalistic aspect but the outcome is very unpredictable. With pros you know Canada will win it 99% of the time unless someone upsets them. With teens you still get a high level but anything goes. Didn't Finland win a few years ago in OT? USA just won in a shootout. Russia pulled a comeback of all comebacks in Buffalo.

It would be like this but on a global level.
It wouldn't though. People watch Olympic hockey because its best on best. Each countries top talent. If we had another World Juniors, nobody is going to give a damn outside of pre existing hockey fans. Personally I enjoy the U20 for what it is, sloppy, exciting hockey. But having it as the format for the Olympics, it would end up like football in the Olympics, an interestless shell of a sport.

Old
04-04-2017, 11:00 AM
broad

Anyone but Tampa.

Toronto would be great as I can attend two (and let's hope no more than that) games.

Just realised Tampa is playing Boston tonight. Biggest game of the season by far for both.

Old
04-04-2017, 11:36 AM
txpd

how does the league keep all their best players from going to the Olympics on their own? they enforce their contracts and punish them. I will just stop there.

Old
04-04-2017, 11:47 AM
twabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
how does the league keep all their best players from going to the Olympics on their own? they enforce their contracts and punish them. I will just stop there.
That would be a PR nightmare.

Old
04-04-2017, 11:59 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by twabby View Post
That would be a PR nightmare.
yea....on the other hand if individual players decide on their own, how many teams are effectively crippled for 10 games? Its not going to be just Ov going. If you paid full price for a ticket to see a game full of callups?

Old
04-04-2017, 12:13 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
yea....on the other hand if individual players decide on their own, how many teams are effectively crippled for 10 games? Its not going to be just Ov going. If you paid full price for a ticket to see a game full of callups?
I don't understand the logic behind the NHL. Their tactics and lines of thinking are completely delusional. Trying to strong arm the NHLPA into extending the current CBA, and thinking they deserve the same marketing rights as a company like Coke is off the scales nuts.

I understand you don't want to show weakness but they could be backing themselves into some really bad corners. They don't look good if players just leave. How do you punish them though? Voiding contracts and suspensions isn't going to look good even if they are justified in doing so. There could also be the on ice product issue which could lead to players having better leverage in CBA discussions.

Old
04-04-2017, 12:19 PM
twabby

Quote:
I'd be pissed at the NHL if they scheduled games during the Olympics and I was forced to watch a poor product.

Old
04-04-2017, 12:27 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Nothing wrong with using your better position to attempt to get the CBA past the opt-out issue. That's good business.

Bad business is sending a bunch of kids a only small section of the sporting world wouldn't mind seeing again. Everyone else wants best vs best.

Olympic hockey is the best in the world. It's a huge blunder for the NHL to lose this opportunity to market themselves. I also see no reason why a major professional sports league interrupting their season and risking the health of their best employees wouldn't be a tier 1 marketing partner. All sorts of dumb from both sides.

I grew up watching college kids playing, but I prefer the best talent in the world compete in the Olympic Games.

Old
04-04-2017, 12:27 PM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
The leagues marketing efforts and almost anything they do actually, is perplexing to say the least. They have a horrible PR team. They literally screw up everything they do. And the office of player safety kills me. Naming former players to run seems more a publicity stunt.

Old
04-04-2017, 12:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Pr stunt? Having a credible former player seems like something the NHLPA would want vs a suit who never played the game. It's pretty much a no brainer.

Gary just can't seem to get out of his own way. The Awkward Weasel.

Old
04-04-2017, 02:26 PM
txpd

Gary works for the owners. He does what the owners want on things like this. He is the mouthpiece.

Old
04-04-2017, 02:27 PM
hockeykicker

i love how the main board is full of people bashing ovechkin for saying he is going to olympics no matter what. if that was crosby they would be praising him

Old
04-04-2017, 04:19 PM
Brian23

I am curious if the NHL could institute some punishment like if a player goes to the Olympics, they're ineligible for the playoffs.

A few game suspension or fine isn't gonna stop Ovi, or anyone really, from going if they're a big name. If suddenly they can't play in the playoffs, even Leonsis might back track a bit. That'd be essentially a wasted year at that point.

Old
04-04-2017, 05:22 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
I am curious if the NHL could institute some punishment like if a player goes to the Olympics, they're ineligible for the playoffs.

A few game suspension or fine isn't gonna stop Ovi, or anyone really, from going if they're a big name. If suddenly they can't play in the playoffs, even Leonsis might back track a bit. That'd be essentially a wasted year at that point.
Hockey Central today suggested that the NHL might suspend any player that goes to the Olympics for the rest of the season

Closed Thread