HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Milano recalled

Old
04-03-2017, 05:01 PM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWennberg10 View Post
Ah jeez. D'Amigo, the Derek MacKenzie replacement.

Also Gibbons, who absolutely torched us in game 1 and 2 vs PIT (I think), absolutely awful here. Also had the personality of a sponge.
yeah Gibbs torched us in the playoffs, came here and had a multipoint game against New Jersey then proceeded to do jack s***

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:01 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
Disappointed no one brought up Darryl Boyce.

Glad to see Milano added. I'm not sure if he'll seize the opportunity like Bjork did, but his speed and skill will be a welcome addition.

I don't know what's going on with Saad. It grinds my gears to watch him continuously enter the zone then peel back and try to pass it while standing still. Cam does this too, so it's a systemic thing I guess, but I don't like it.

Old
04-03-2017, 05:22 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post

I don't know what's going on with Saad. It grinds my gears to watch him continuously enter the zone then peel back and try to pass it while standing still. Cam does this too, so it's a systemic thing I guess, but I don't like it.
Peeling back is the best bet if no one is entering the zone with them. That's the issue - not getting those three and four man rushes.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:48 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
Disappointed no one brought up Darryl Boyce.

Glad to see Milano added. I'm not sure if he'll seize the opportunity like Bjork did, but his speed and skill will be a welcome addition.

I'll do you 1 better. Tomi Kallio.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 07:00 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Peeling back is the best bet if no one is entering the zone with them. That's the issue - not getting those three and four man rushes.
That has been a Jacket trait for years. Guys heading into the zone and then having to dump it because no one is there with them.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Forepar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
That has been a Jacket trait for years. Guys heading into the zone and then having to dump it because no one is there with them.
Is it a function of system, or is it a function of too much focus on keeping shifts short? Or something else?

I get frustrated with the one-man forecheck, which I think I see all too often from us. But I realize, when watching on TV, I am going nuts about where the rest of the support is. However, when I'm at NWA, I see we are making a change, and the one man forechecking is there mostly to slow things down just enough to get a good change, not so much to force a turnover. Just seems we were forechecking in waves early in the year, and more of the constant line change the last 2 months. Maybe it's my imagination.

Forepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Double-Shift Lasse
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forepar View Post
Is it a function of system, or is it a function of too much focus on keeping shifts short? Or something else?

I get frustrated with the one-man forecheck, which I think I see all too often from us. But I realize, when watching on TV, I am going nuts about where the rest of the support is. However, when I'm at NWA, I see we are making a change, and the one man forechecking is there mostly to slow things down just enough to get a good change, not so much to force a turnover. Just seems we were forechecking in waves early in the year, and more of the constant line change the last 2 months. Maybe it's my imagination.
If it's your imagination, then it's mine, too. The forecheck seems to be content delaying instead of preventing the breakout pass/carry. Not sure if there's been a purposeful shift or if my recollection is broken.

Old
04-04-2017, 02:43 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Yep the one man forecheck is perplexing.. but as mentioned it is typically calvert or cam putting the press on to allow for a change.

I cannot wait to see Sonny Milano come up and contribute. I have been reading from everyone what a disappointment this kid is and realizing that he is all of about 21 years old I hope he comes up and shoves the puck in someones arse.. then stick handles it out for a back handed goal.

Last edited by LetsGOJackets!!: 04-04-2017 at 03:15 PM.
LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 03:11 PM
DarkandStormy

^So many "guarantees" from someone who can't guarantee anything. And sexism to boot.

DarkandStormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 03:16 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandStormy View Post
^So many "guarantees" from someone who can't guarantee anything. And sexism to boot.

your correct D&S.. it isn't my place to say anything. Let the players figure it out. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 03:23 PM
DarkandStormy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
your correct D&S.. it isn't my place to say anything. Let the players figure it out. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it
Hey, no worries. I understood where you were going with it, but it's also hard for us to know what it's like being in their shoes, errrr, skates. We've just got to trust the players and coaches that they'll figure it out here soon. I think we're all just yearning to see the 16-game-win-streak Jackets reappear.

Old
04-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Columbus Mike
2015-16 CBJ

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
If it's your imagination, then it's mine, too. The forecheck seems to be content delaying instead of preventing the breakout pass/carry. Not sure if there's been a purposeful shift or if my recollection is broken.
I think the biggest issue with this is it's taking us 30-40 seconds to clear our defensive zone, and we need to change rather than carry the puck in, or dump and aggressively forecheck. My memory is that when we were playing well, we were getting the puck out the first time, passing it to tape, rather than missing a pass or throwing it up the boards and hoping it found the right player.

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Forepar

Quote:
Hey, no worries. I understood where you were going with it, but it's also hard for us to know what it's like being in their shoes, errrr, skates. We've just got to trust the players and coaches that they'll figure it out here soon. I think we're all just yearning to see the 16-game-win-streak Jackets reappear.
Yearning for 4 out of every 7 starting April 12 or so.
And a win tonight!

Forepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 04:44 PM
WubbaLubbaDubDub

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
I think the biggest issue with this is it's taking us 30-40 seconds to clear our defensive zone, and we need to change rather than carry the puck in, or dump and aggressively forecheck. My memory is that when we were playing well, we were getting the puck out the first time, passing it to tape, rather than missing a pass or throwing it up the boards and hoping it found the right player.
This. The reason we have a one man forcheck is because we have to change when its time to attack, so instead of giving the puck over abs giving them 3/4 of the ice to do whatever one man dumps and chases to apply pressure and allow the other 3-4 players to change.

We need to tighten up defensively and crispen our passes to make for a more efficient forcheck. Also we need Jones and Werenski to join the rush or lead the forcheck occasionally as it forces the opposition to defend differently. Just doing it a few times will make them adjust and respect it when those 2 are out there.

WubbaLubbaDubDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 07:27 PM
Double-Shift Lasse
Just post better

Quote:
Good call.

Double-Shift Lasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 09:00 PM
major major

Quote:
I don't think the zone time has been that one sided. The team D doesn't look bad to me. It's all the forwards.

My guess is that the forwards are in a sort of collective slump - they're not supporting each other and they're dragging each other down. So we end up with a lot of one man efforts.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2017, 12:20 AM
PanarinBagel
Playoff bound

vCash: 1356
Send a message via AIM to PanarinBagel
I thought Milano looked incredibly average last night, not very good passes or stick handling from him. I will give him credit for one very good pass from behind the net to jack Johnson that did not connect though.

PanarinBagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2017, 04:53 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeezy View Post
I thought Milano looked incredibly average last night, not very good passes or stick handling from him. I will give him credit for one very good pass from behind the net to jack Johnson that did not connect though.
I call that a win given how anemic this offense looks.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2017, 10:31 AM
EDM

Disagree about Sonny. He was fighting near teh net the whole game. He looked good with Anderson and Jenner.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2017, 11:33 AM
JKinCLE
killing time @ work

I thought he looked pretty good out there. Hope he gets another chance. Nobody on the team is an offensive threat currently, so let him have his shot.

JKinCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2017, 02:24 PM
hardkorejackets

vCash: 678
I thought he looked alright overall in a positive sense.. I seen him fall down a couple times (probably strength related). But, he had some nice speed, made a couple good reads on passes to make that just failed to connect, and would go to the front of the net. He wasn't overly impressive/but better than Korpikoski.

I hate taking away Milano from Cleveland as they are fighting for the last playoff spot, but.. I'd give him another game or two with Boone and Anderson to see if he has anything more to offer.

hardkorejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2017, 07:36 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but I'm genuinely shocked to see him sent down today. I figured he would get a longer look.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2017, 07:34 AM
DarkandStormy

Team struggling to score goals sends offensive-minded prospect back to AHL after one game. Amazing.

Old
04-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Xoggz22

Likely a reward for his solid play in Cleveland recently. I think Columbus wants him in a top 6 role ultimately and if he deserved a call up, give it to him and let him know his effort is recognized. He was unlikely to play in the playoffs unless there was an injury problem.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2017, 02:00 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Team struggling to score goals sends offensive-minded prospect back to AHL after one game. Amazing.
What offense has he ever provided against NHL competition?

I get that he has skill, and I'd like to see more of him at some point, but he hasn't done much with the opportunities he's been given. 1 assist in 6 games. Even Hannikainen managed a goal.

I'm sure he's among the primary considerations for a call-up if a F gets injured. Maybe the one game was to just get out the butterflies or something.

TBH, I wouldn't mind seeing what Zaar could do before the season is over.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote