HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Question about NHL TV

Old
04-03-2017, 01:58 PM
hansomreiste

vCash: 500
Question about NHL TV

Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry if this is wrong place to ask - to me it looked like this suits the most. The thing is, I wish to subscribe on NHL TV to watch Stanley Cup playoffs. However, I keep seeing various packages with different prices. When I send customer support e-mail, they reply the same way all the time: "No info available about Stanley Cup packages, please wait until regular season has ended".

Though in one of those packages, whose shot is below, it clearly says "through the playoffs". However, when I click on the link, it directly takes me to billing part, without telling me about terms & conditions, so I can't make sure if it really includes play-offs.

So my question is... if I buy this thing now, can I watch whole play-off?

I'm a student on budget, from a country where USD is "too valuable", so I would like to get it as cheap and as soon as possible! Last year, I paid 25 USD, so it looks highly unlikely to me that they would sell a whole play-off package for 4 USD, but I'm not sure... Since there is no NHL broadcast in my country, I don't give a damn about blackout and restrictions - all games are available once I have the subscription.

So, long story short... I would like to buy a subscription to watch Stanley Cup playoffs yet I'm very confused with the way NHL TV works. I am not in a position to waste 4 USD for nothing; yet I don't want to pay 25 USD for something I can buy for 4 USD either.

Can anyone help me understand this situation?

hansomreiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 02:25 PM
IME

vCash: 50
NHL.tv usually blacks out playoff games in the US and Canada. I don't think it blacks it out overseas.

IME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 02:38 PM
hansomreiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by IME View Post
NHL.tv usually blacks out playoff games in the US and Canada. I don't think it blacks it out overseas.
Yes but my main concern is... Does that 3.99 USD package include play-offs? Customer support just won't tell me anything - no "yes", no "no", they just keep asking me to wait; yet here I see a subscription package which says "through playoffs". If it was some lousy organization from another country, I'd be fine with it... But as far as I know, Americans are very very serious about "terms and conditions", so having such vague offers is quite interesting for me. I can't even get to learn what I will have or not by buying this subscription. Or maybe I just can't find the information. Down below they say something, but again, there is no hint about play-off. Nothing significant.

Old
04-03-2017, 03:28 PM
ardsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by IME View Post
Canada is blackout free for the last two years. All playoff games are considered national in Canada and there is no blackout of national games.

ardsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:33 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

I would suggest waiting it out till playoffs are scheduled to start. If they do still sell this package, go for it, if not, you avoided getting scammed for $4 USD.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 10:28 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
My guess is that price is through the end of the regular season. Doubt they would sell the entire playoffs for $4.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 09:39 AM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
My guess is that price is through the end of the regular season. Doubt they would sell the entire playoffs for $4.
Then their advertissement is misleading to say the least.

Quote:
through
THro͞o/Valider
preposition & adverb
moving in one side and out of the other side of (an opening, channel, or location).
"stepping boldly through the doorway"
synonyms: into and out of, to the other side of, to the far side of, from one side to the other of More
continuing in time toward completion of (a process or period).
"he showed up halfway through the second act"

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 11:16 AM
IME

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardsa View Post
Canada is blackout free for the last two years. All playoff games are considered national in Canada and there is no blackout of national games.
Interesting. I guess I haven't been back in a couple of years.

IME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 03:49 PM
hansomreiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Then their advertissement is misleading to say the least.
That's what got me confused. I mean, the land of the free is a place where you can sue people saying "My coffee was very hot but I was not warned about it" and actually get compensation; so I'd be really surprised if an organization such as NHL doesn't care about what they write on their ads. That's totally misleading and people may actually buy this to watch play-off hockey, only to realize that all they're given is finger.

On the other hand, 4 USD for play-off hockey is unfairly cheap and looks highly unrealistic. I guess I'll wait it out and just hope that this subscription doesn't include play-off.

Old
04-04-2017, 05:23 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

In US, all playoff games are broadcast on NBC network somewhere. So unless there's blackout issues, you'll just need NBC, CNBC, MSNBC, NBCSN, NHL Network. Center ice really not needed.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 06:58 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
In US, all playoff games are broadcast on NBC network somewhere. So unless there's blackout issues, you'll just need NBC, CNBC, MSNBC, NBCSN, NHL Network. Center ice really not needed.
Kinda doubt NBC and the NHL Network are broadcast in Istanbul.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 11:26 PM
Mr. Fancy Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansomreiste View Post
When I send customer support e-mail, they reply the same way all the time: "No info available about Stanley Cup packages, please wait until regular season has ended".
From the banner you posted it sure makes it sound like they are offering that for the playoffs.

In my experience, the support people that I've talked with by email or chat have all been morons who don't really know anything about the product. I've had better luck calling the support phone number and actually getting someone with a brain. You might want to try calling.

EDIT: I just logged into a VPN in Turkey and it does say $3.99. I've bought NHL.tv in the past and it's always continued on for the playoffs so I wouldn't imagine they would stop it. Although MLB.tv might have separate packages if I remember.

According to their refund policy - https://www.nhl.com/faq/billing#refundpolicy - you can get a refund within 5 days of purchase. So maybe wait until Saturday to buy it and then you'll be able to know if you can watch the first playoff game. If not, you can ask for a refund.

Last edited by Mr. Fancy Pants: 04-04-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Mr. Fancy Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2017, 11:10 AM
hansomreiste

So I could not keep patient and bought the thing for 4 USD. The e-mail they sent me says that this is a yearly subscription which is supposed to be renewed at then-current price on September 1, 2017. As far as I know, "yearly subscription", which was sold at 140 USD when the season began IIRC, covers play-off as well (and this is also what's said on advertisement) so under normal circumstances, I must be able to enjoy play-off hockey. I'll have an update here come play-off time, because the whole thing looks too strange and fantastic to me. I can't understand how they could possibly offer play-off hockey for only 4 USD yet at the same time, they say they do... Let's wait and see.

Last edited by hansomreiste: 04-06-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old
04-06-2017, 01:14 PM
RedBruin

It includes the playoffs. There is no package without playoffs, infact there is only one package as far as I know, with different payment options.

RedBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Car2014

I've heard from users that mlb.tv, which is run by the same guys, had offers like that for years which include the playoffs.

I used their Halloween offer and that one also includes the playoffs, even though their text back then was misleading at best (as was the one they tend to use for their regular offer).

Car2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2017, 02:33 PM
hansomreiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car2014 View Post
I've heard from users that mlb.tv, which is run by the same guys, had offers like that for years which include the playoffs.

I used their Halloween offer and that one also includes the playoffs, even though their text back then was misleading at best (as was the one they tend to use for their regular offer).
The thing I don't understand is that last year, I paid 25 USD for play-off subscription. It was a separately-sold one. Now, while my 4 USD subscription includes play-off according to you guys, there is another 5 USD offer which is only valid for regular season, haha. It simply makes no sense at all and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it will all unravel.

I know that NHL offers full season subscriptions - this is what I bought, I assume. When the season starts, it goes at around 140 USD. When it's halfway through the season, the price drops to 70 USD. Later, with or without some discounts, you can get it as cheap as 20 USD. But 4? I've never ever seen such a thing. Wow.

Old
04-06-2017, 02:38 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardsa View Post
That's blackout-free on tv/cable. If you want to watch SC playoff games on your Gamecentre subscription you'll find they're not available.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Car2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansomreiste View Post
The thing I don't understand is that last year, I paid 25 USD for play-off subscription. It was a separately-sold one. Now, while my 4 USD subscription includes play-off according to you guys, there is another 5 USD offer which is only valid for regular season, haha. It simply makes no sense at all and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it will all unravel.

I know that NHL offers full season subscriptions - this is what I bought, I assume. When the season starts, it goes at around 140 USD. When it's halfway through the season, the price drops to 70 USD. Later, with or without some discounts, you can get it as cheap as 20 USD. But 4? I've never ever seen such a thing. Wow.
I know, it's confusing as hell and I also had to ask a couple of questions before I signed up. Two years ago, it was $49 just for the playoffs, I think.

This is the same league that has Halloween and Black Friday offers but then takes months before the regular price is lowered to the same level again. The difference between their January and their February (?) price also made no sense whatsoever. I just don't see any logic and they fail to communicate things clearly. E.g. one of the things I had to ask other users is if we have blackouts here. Other leagues manage to communicate that quite clearly on their websites.

Car2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 12:48 AM
ardsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
That's blackout-free on tv/cable. If you want to watch SC playoff games on your Gamecentre subscription you'll find they're not available.
This is not true. Ever since Rogers took over the national broadcast deal (this is year 3) all playoff games have been available on Gamecentre (NHL.TV) in Canada. This has been true for all national broadcast games in the regular season as well during this time.

They are selling a package right now if you want to buy it:
https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/en/

The only reason for cable in Canada for NHL is if you want to watch your local teams local broadcast games.

ardsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 07:17 AM
KahunWOW

I just signed up for this deal $3.99 deal. It said veteran/student at the top of the billing page though. But there was no option to change this...

KahunWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 07:32 AM
KahunWOW

Man, I just got the confirmation email and there it says "regular season"...

And the veteran/student thing is apparently only an additional option to save even more. Sorry about that, I am not used to this.

Old
04-07-2017, 12:48 PM
vdB

Sounds like you got a good deal hansin. Enjoy!

vdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2017, 06:45 PM
hansomreiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunWOW View Post
Man, I just got the confirmation email and there it says "regular season"...

And the veteran/student thing is apparently only an additional option to save even more. Sorry about that, I am not used to this.
Can you share it? Because the confirmation mail I got says it would be renewed in September 2017 and until then, I'm eligible to watch all hockey they have to offer. Or at least, that's what I think they mean. It doesn't mention regular season at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdB View Post
Sounds like you got a good deal hansin. Enjoy!
Hopefully, so. Thank you. Will find out on April 12th. I'll start liking NHL way more if I can really watch play-off with this subscription. What a "nice" joke. Perks of living in third world.

Old
04-08-2017, 01:06 AM
KahunWOW

Dear KahunWOW,

WELCOME TO NHL.TV™. Watch every out-of-market regular season NHL game LIVE or on demand. Watch online or on supported smartphones, tablets and connected devices.

2016 - 2017 NHL.TV™ Yearly
$ 3.99

Sales Tax: $ 0.76
--------------------------------
Total: $ 4.75

PAYMENT: The payment card you have on file with us has been charged the amount shown above. Your subscription lasts until September 1, 2017.

AUTOMATIC RENEWAL: Your NHL.TV™ Yearly subscription will automatically renew annually at the then current year's regular full yearly price. You may cancel your subscription by contacting us at 800-559-2333 (US) or e-mail customersupport@web.nhl.com (International Customers please call 1-412-386-2646). Cancellation is effective at the end of your current billing cycle (September 1, 2017). No partial refunds will be given. For more information about your subscription, including cancellation and refund policies, see the FAQs.

NHL.TV™ FEATURES: Watch every out-of-market regular season NHL game LIVE and on-demand. Watch on your supported smartphone, tablet or connected device. For a full list of supported devices, click here. Choose home or away feeds and listen to your favorite announcers. DVR functionality lets you pause and rewind LIVE games. Multiple viewing options lets you choose how you want to watch. Watch up to four games at once. Watch on demand with full game archives the next day, or 48 hours later for in market games.

BLACKOUT RESTRICTIONS: All live games are subject to blackout and other restrictions. Blackout restrictions subject to change. Please click here to learn more.

2016-2017 NHL SCHEDULE: For the latest schedule of games, and to watch LIVE or on demand online, click here. Click on the game that you would like to watch. Enter your NHL.comŽ user name and password to log-in and watch.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: If you have any questions about your subscription please call 800-559-2333 (US) or e-mail customersupport@web.nhl.com (International Customers please call 1-412-386-2646).

Please keep this e-mail for future reference.

The NHL.comŽ Terms of Service and the terms of this e-mail govern your use of NHL.TV™.

Old
04-08-2017, 12:28 PM
flooredaccord

id buy it to watch games at work but no point if its blacked out. if its on tv and im not near a tv too bad for ....but im glad a fan in istanbul can watch. no sarcasm its great to expand the game

flooredaccord is offline   Reply With Quote