HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL will not participate in 2018 Pyeongchang Olympic Games

Old
04-03-2017, 03:34 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Regardless of each user's opinion on the topic, we can probably agree on one thing :

The next year will be... extremely political.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:36 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
Do you really think people in this country (or several others) are really not going to watch Olympic Hockey just because Crosby, Getzlaf, Price, etc are not there? It is still Olympic hockey, and if you really want to get technical, the Olympics are supposed to be amateur athletes in the first place.

I am fine with this.
Actually, I'd probably watch my NHL instead of Team Canada, for many reasons...

Old
04-03-2017, 03:37 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
I was going to make a post about how this was all Eugene Melnyk's work because "something something Karlsson playing against Canada", but I'll digress from being stupid

But in all seriousness, the quote the op posted is 100% logically sound and accurate. Not really sure what all the fuss is about?
My fuss is they will go in 2022 in China. If there is no incentive for 2018 in South Korea, there is no incentive for 2022 in China but NHL already thinks there is incentive going to China and will absolutely go to China in 2022.

That's like saying there is incentive for them fighting to keep Coyotes in Arizona for 20 years but letting Carolina get relocated at the first opportunity they get. (I know this example is dumb, but illustrates perfectly everything that is wrong with this league).

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:37 PM
Spartachat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackandLube View Post
Did you even read? The NHL is the only major sports league that stops for the Olympics. The NHL is officially not participating but individual players are still contracted to their teams and their teams can give permission.

On the business side, there's a huge amount of insurance and revenue and legal work that needs to be done.

It's right for the NHL not to kowtow to the corrupt IOC. It's a greedy money-making organization filled with entitled bosses like FIFA. Last time around, the IOC agreed to help pay the insurance costs. This time it refused. They also refused any compromises the NHL asked for like buying a few home games or making the NHL an official sponsor like Coke/McDonalds which they also refused. Probably because the the NHL doesn't pay them 2 billion dollars like Coke/McDonalds do.
The IOC execs are greedy and corrupt. However, the IOC is still a non-profit organization as is the IIHF. The NHL is for-profit.

Spartachat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:38 PM
IME

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Canadian TV can not be thrilled either. CBC paid a lot of money for the Olympic rights based mainly on hockey.
On the other hand, the selection process for Team Canada's olympic team is going to be unreal. Theoretically they can choose from CHL, NCAA, Spengler Cup vets, and maybe the AHL. Canadian Media is going to eat that stuff up.

IME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:39 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

Ball's in IOC's court now, and they have grounds to actually do a radical move that could hurt the NHL and get much less fan backlash than would otherwise be the case.

Come out today or tomorrow and flat out say that you are disappointed in the NHL's decision and breaking the Olympic spirit of open competition and coming together, but that you understand from a business perspective. In that same vein however, the IOC has to take into account their own business connections and relationships with corporate sponsors, media partners, and event planners/hosts and don't want to have the next games get bogged down as well or leave anyone with the wrong impression of what an unreliable partner like the NHL will do. So, as a result of the NHL's decision to not stop for the 2018 games, active NHL players [in the 2021-22 season] are hereby barred from the 2022 Beijing games as well.

Bam, major broadside across the NHL's bows. They want to go to those games but figure that they can skip the games in South Korea, and you just added the extra doubt in players heads about if they want to actually play in the NHL for 2021-22, so don't be surprised if a load of European players decide to go back to leagues on that side of the Atlantic (or, for prospects, delay going over to the NHL) or even if some North Americans decide to forgo a year and play in some European league.

2010 - 2013 - 2015 Chicago Blackhawks | 2016 Chicago Cubs - EAMUS CATULI! AC0000000

Last edited by No Fun Shogun; 04-03-2017 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: added clarity
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:40 PM
Atticus Finch
pending

Good.

Atticus Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:41 PM
Zine

This is truly awful. However I wouldn't be half as livid if the NHL put forth a respectable best-v-best alternative. Unfortunately we fans were treated to a gimmicky Team Europe and Team Young Gunzzzz!!!!!

Screw you NHL.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:43 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Guessing the two bye weeks will be during the Olympics to reduce the impact of ratings lost from eyes watching figure skating, curling, luge, skelton, skiing, etc.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:43 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Ball's in IOC's court now, and they have grounds to actually do a radical move that could hurt the NHL and get much less fan backlash than would otherwise be the case.

Come out today or tomorrow and flat out say that you are disappointed in the NHL's decision and breaking the Olympic spirit of open competition and coming together, but that you understand from a business perspective. In that same vein however, the IOC has to take into account their own business connections and relationships with corporate sponsors, media partners, and event planners/hosts and don't want to have the next games get bogged down as well or leave anyone with the wrong impression of what an unreliable partner like the NHL will do. So, as a result of the NHL's decision to not stop for the 2018 games, active NHL players are hereby barred from the 2022 Beijing games as well.

Bam, major broadside across the NHL's bows. They want to go to those games but figure that they can skip the games in South Korea, and you just added the extra doubt in players heads about if they want to actually play in the NHL for 2021-22, so don't be surprised if a load of European players decide to go back to leagues on that side of the Atlantic (or, for prospects, delay going over to the NHL) or even if some North Americans decide to forgo a year and play in some European league.
I don't know, but my feeling is that, if the IOC does such a thing, they'll just **** of the federations and the IIHF for no good reasons.

Old
04-03-2017, 03:45 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death Arcana

vCash: 2626
Eat ****, NHL.

The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light. - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:47 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I don't know, but my feeling is that, if the IOC does such a thing, they'll just **** of the federations and the IIHF for no good reasons.
Everybody else but the NHL cooperates with the Olympics as it is, so I doubt it. And heck, if they have that strong of a ban, that could be a boon for the 2021-22 season with an influx of players that'd otherwise be in the NHL.

Only awkward for the NHL and maybe the American and Canadian Olympic committees.

Old
04-03-2017, 03:48 PM
CoryForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Quote:

Come out today or tomorrow and flat out say that you are disappointed in the NHL's decision and breaking the Olympic spirit of open competition and coming together, but that you understand from a business perspective. In that same vein however, the IOC has to take into account their own business connections and relationships with corporate sponsors, media partners, and event planners/hosts and don't want to have the next games get bogged down as well or leave anyone with the wrong impression of what an unreliable partner like the NHL will do. So, as a result of the NHL's decision to not stop for the 2018 games, active NHL players are hereby barred from the 2022 Beijing games as well.

But, here's the thing. That's poor business and a childish mentality. It's an awful argument. All parties aside from NHL owners are better off financially if the NHL competes in 2022. China and the IOC still want NHL players in 2022, unless they are being run by a scorned high school girl that got dumped the week before prom. This is business. And please, baring the complete collapse of the US economy, I find it very hard to believe players would even sacrifice a year to go play in leagues overseas. Nevermind multiple years. See: $$$$$

Although I hate this decision, I'm more worried about the CBA impact it is gonna have....

CoryForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Carolinas Identity*
#GoPERDS #win

Quote:
Actually, I'd probably watch my NHL instead of Team Canada, for many reasons...
If the Hurricanes played at the same time Team USA did, I probably would also, or maybe do PIP, of just follow the States on my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
My fuss is they will go in 2022 in China. If there is no incentive for 2018 in South Korea, there is no incentive for 2022 in China but NHL already thinks there is incentive going to China and will absolutely go to China in 2022.

That's like saying there is incentive for them fighting to keep Coyotes in Arizona for 20 years but letting Carolina get relocated at the first opportunity they get. (I know this example is dumb, but illustrates perfectly everything that is wrong with this league).
I respectfully disagree on both counts.

Carolinas Identity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

For comparison's sake, who covers insurance and other costs for the players on international teams in soccer?

Flyersfan1493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:50 PM
tony d
Irish Spring Soap

I agree with this 110%. Yeah I liked the NHL players in the Olympics as well but a 2 week break during an already long season was a but much. Also will be good to see amateurs play in the Olympics again. It worked great until 1994, don't see why it won't work now.

Celebrating 10 yrs. at hfboards today. Thanks everyone for making the past decade so memorable. Here's to 10 more years.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:51 PM
MXD

Quote:
Everybody else but the NHL cooperates with the Olympics as it is, so I doubt it. And heck, if they have that strong of a ban, that could be a boon for the 2021-22 season with an influx of players that'd otherwise be in the NHL.

Only awkward for the NHL and maybe the American and Canadian Olympic committees.
... I misunderstood your post.
I understood "Active NHL'er" as "meaning every player in the NHL for 16-17 and/or 17/18 would not be eligible to play at the 2022 Olympics".

Old
04-03-2017, 03:51 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I agree with this 110%. Yeah I liked the NHL players in the Olympics as well but a 2 week break during an already long season was a but much. Also will be good to see amateurs play in the Olympics again. It worked great until 1994, don't see why it won't work now.
Problem is it won't be amateur players. It will be KHL players vs the worst from the rest of the world.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:53 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
What if I told you millions upon millions of people will be watching your players, basically your product over the course of two weeks and all you have to do is let your players go play and take a break in the middle of the season? Sounds great, right? Nope, no thanks. We'll compete against something we have no chance of beating in the ratings.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:55 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryForVezina View Post
But, here's the thing. That's poor business and a childish mentality. It's an awful argument. All parties aside from NHL owners are better off financially if the NHL competes in 2022. China and the IOC still want NHL players in 2022, unless they are being run by a scorned high school girl that got dumped the week before prom. This is business. And please, baring the complete collapse of the US economy, I find it very hard to believe players would even sacrifice a year to go play in leagues overseas. Nevermind multiple years. See: $$$$$

Although I hate this decision, I'm more worried about the CBA impact it is gonna have....
I am still waiting for someone to provide concrete proof of why it is business wise important to go to China.

South Korea is to China what Canada is to the USA. Ignore one and you necessarily negatively impact the other one.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 03:57 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:

Another thing I've thought of.....the IOC passes the revenue from the Games onto the countries' IOCs. Those IOCs then distribute the money as they see fit.

Could the IOC ever stop money from trickling down to hockey the sport?

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:00 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Haven't heard from Hockey Canada and USA Hockey as to where they'll be getting their Olympic players from.

Will the IIHF ban any NHLers from participating with the league not in? Will the IIHF define where the players will come from, or leave it to each country's hockey federation?

Will the AHL be gutted? Will the NCAA, CHL?

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:00 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
Quote:

my guess is the chinese want the NHL there,and that will be the deciding factor.

I'm with the NHL on this one. Maybe if the IOC/IIHF let them use footage, they would go.

Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:01 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

Quote:
... I misunderstood your post.
I understood "Active NHL'er" as "meaning every player in the NHL for 16-17 and/or 17/18 would not be eligible to play at the 2022 Olympics".
Nope, sorry. Meant "active in the 2021-22 season."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Another thing I've thought of.....the IOC passes the revenue from the Games onto the countries' IOCs. Those IOCs then distribute the money as they see fit.

Could the IOC ever stop money from trickling down to hockey the sport?
Don't know, but considering that NBC is a principal contributor to the IOC's overall balance sheet, I somewhat doubt that they'd go down that stringent of a route to put the squeeze on the American Olympic Committee.

Old
04-03-2017, 04:01 PM
SCBlueLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Problem is it won't be amateur players. It will be KHL players vs the worst from the rest of the world.
That's why it would be a good idea for the IIHF and IOC to make it a U-20 tournament. World Juniors on the Olympic stage would be compelling and the marketing angle would be that this is a showcase of future stars, sell the youth angle, etc. More interesting than watching minor league all-star teams take the ice.

SCBlueLiner is offline   Reply With Quote