HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL will not participate in 2018 Pyeongchang Olympic Games

Old
04-03-2017, 04:03 PM
Chez Weber
King of the North

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackandLube View Post
Did you even read? The NHL is the only major sports league that stops for the Olympics. The NHL is officially not participating but individual players are still contracted to their teams and their teams can give permission.

On the business side, there's a huge amount of insurance and revenue and legal work that needs to be done.

It's right for the NHL not to kowtow to the corrupt IOC. It's a greedy money-making organization filled with entitled bosses like FIFA. Last time around, the IOC agreed to help pay the insurance costs. This time it refused. They also refused any compromises the NHL asked for like buying a few home games or making the NHL an official sponsor like Coke/McDonalds which they also refused. Probably because the the NHL doesn't pay them 2 billion dollars like Coke/McDonalds do.
How much do you think it costs to host olympic games? If you allow the NHL to be a sponsor than you have to allow all leagues to be a sponsor. It really doesn't make any sense.. Just the prescence of the players promote the NHL because it's the league they play in.
The IIHF also made it clear it wasn't a money issue.

It's just Bettman and the greedy owners that want to act tough so they can fake a reputation of fierce negotiators. Meanwhile the fans, the ones that buy the game tickets and the hockey jerseys are getting nothing out of it.

Chez Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:04 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Another thing I've thought of.....the IOC passes the revenue from the Games onto the countries' IOCs. Those IOCs then distribute the money as they see fit.

Could the IOC ever stop money from trickling down to hockey the sport?
I thought the IOC took the whole pile of moola, covering (most) costs of running the games (to Korean OC), plus portion of funds to participating sports federations (e.g., IIHF, etc.).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:06 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBlueLiner View Post
That's why it would be a good idea for the IIHF and IOC to make it a U-20 tournament. World Juniors on the Olympic stage would be compelling and the marketing angle would be that this is a showcase of future stars, sell the youth angle, etc. More interesting than watching minor league all-star teams take the ice.
What prevents NHL from barring U-20's going to Olympics ? Most of the players are drafted before the age of 19-20 even tho they don't get in the league prior to that age.

powerstuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:08 PM
Carolinas Identity*
#GoPERDS #win

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez Weber View Post
How much do you think it costs to host olympic games? If you allow the NHL to be a sponsor than you have to allow all leagues to be a sponsor. It really doesn't make any sense.. Just the prescence of the players promote the NHL because it's the league they play in.
The IIHF also made it clear it wasn't a money issue.

It's just Bettman and the greedy owners that want to act tough so they can fake a reputation of fierce negotiators. Meanwhile the fans, the ones that buy the game tickets and the hockey jerseys are getting nothing out of it.
Why does everyone continually lump Bettman into this like he is equally to blame? If the owners were okay with it, he'd have announced that the players would be going, and most of the people here would still probably find something to complain about about him

Carolinas Identity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Spartachat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
I thought the IOC took the whole pile of moola, covering (most) costs of running the games (to Korean OC), plus portion of funds to participating sports federations (e.g., IIHF, etc.).
The host country will not be making a profit. Russia wasted billions on the Sochi Olympics. The Olympics is basically a large commercial for the host country.

Spartachat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:09 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Hmmm maybe I have it wrong, but I still feel confused from their website. Money gets distributed to the NOCs, but then also some goes to the sport federations. So the IIHF recieves direct money, and then Canada's IOC recieves money, but they have the freedom to choose how its distributed, is how I read it.

https://www.olympic.org/ioc-financin...s-distribution

Quote:
NATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEES (NOCS)

The NOCs receive financial support for the training and development of Olympic teams, Olympic athletes and Olympic hopefuls. The IOC distributes TOP programme revenue to each of the NOCs throughout the world. The IOC also contributes Olympic broadcast revenue to Olympic Solidarity, an IOC organisation that provides financial support to NOCs with the greatest need.

The continued success of the TOP programme and Olympic broadcast agreements has enabled the IOC to provide increased support for the NOCs with each Olympic quadrennium.

INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC SPORTS FEDERATIONS (IFS)

The IOC provides financial support from Olympic broadcast revenue to the IFs of Olympic summer and winter sports after the completion of the Olympic Games and the Olympic Winter Games.

The value of Olympic broadcast partnerships has enabled the IOC to deliver substantially increased financial support to the IFs with each successive Games.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:16 PM
SCBlueLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
What prevents NHL from barring U-20's going to Olympics ? Most of the players are drafted before the age of 19-20 even tho they don't get in the league prior to that age.
Why would you ban your draft picks who aren't even in the league yet? Those picks are currently playing in the NCAA,CHL, USHL, etc. and are regularly included on rosters for international competitions. Why would they do something so unnecessary? Just to be jerks?

SCBlueLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:17 PM
nickp91

Leave it to Bettman to ruin the best hockey tournament in the world

nickp91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:19 PM
Carolinas Identity*
#GoPERDS #win

Unless I am a complete idiot (which could theoretically be possible), did not the League offer the players the opportunity to go if they extended the CBA?

If I am right in my memory, then like 98% of the vitriol getting thrown around here should actually be directed at the PA no?

Old
04-03-2017, 04:19 PM
TopCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
Do you really think people in this country (or several others) are really not going to watch Olympic Hockey just because Crosby, Getzlaf, Price, etc are not there? It is still Olympic hockey, and if you really want to get technical, the Olympics are supposed to be amateur athletes in the first place.

I am fine with this.
17 million canadians tuned in for the gold medal games last olympics. Nowhere near that amount will tune in without nhl players, myself included

TopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
Quote:
Why does everyone continually lump Bettman into this like he is equally to blame? If the owners were okay with it, he'd have announced that the players would be going, and most of the people here would still probably find something to complain about about him
because he's a great commissioner.

Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:27 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan1493 View Post
For comparison's sake, who covers insurance and other costs for the players on international teams in soccer?
FIFA pays club teams if one of their players gets seriously injured during international matches. For example in the most recent World Cup qualifying an Irish defender (Seamus Coleman) broke his leg and will miss an entire year. FIFA will pay his club side, Everton, his weekly wages as long as he is injured

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:36 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

**** the NHL!

Seriously, this is such crap.

You know, between what happened last summer and this. I'll officially say it. I hope the NHL never comes back to Québec City. I don't want my money to go to these *******s.

Who knew a sport this fun to play could be ruined by *******s in costly suits?

The Montreal Expos can't return soon enough.

In the meantime, go Jays go!

Acesolid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:37 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Unless I am a complete idiot (which could theoretically be possible), did not the League offer the players the opportunity to go if they extended the CBA?

If I am right in my memory, then like 98% of the vitriol getting thrown around here should actually be directed at the PA no?
But why would the players agree to that? They want to change escrow in the next bargaining talks.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:37 PM
jigglysquishy

I'm not spending any money on the NHL next year. If they don't want me then **** them

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:38 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I want the NHL players to go, but, I can totally understand the NHL owners stance.

I blame the IOC.

They want to take the NHL's product and make money off it without allowing the NHL to use pictures and videos on NHL websites.

They want the NHL to cease operations in February when the NFL and MLB are not operating as well as incur the risk of their players being injured.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I want the NHL players to go, but, I can totally understand the NHL owners stance.

I blame the IOC.

They want to take the NHL's product and make money off it without allowing the NHL to use pictures and videos on NHL websites.

They want the NHL to cease operations in February when the NFL and MLB are not operating as well as incur the risk of their players being injured.
What?

Haven't you seen what has happened these past few months? The IOC have made concession after concession to the NHL, with the NHL then moving the goalposts, acting like the IOC had treated them poorly, and ranting in anger against the IOC.

The NHL negociated in bad faith, it's obvious they had made up their mind to not go long ago, and just wanted to not seem like complete ********. Well, most people completely see through their ****, and can clearly see that they are.

This is truly unforgivable in my opinion. I could not be more angry at the NHL.

Old
04-03-2017, 04:45 PM
Ingvar

I wonder how happy NBC is to hear that considering they just invested a lot into Olympic broadcasting rights and this is the last Olympics before their deal with NHL expires.

Ingvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:46 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Old
04-03-2017, 04:51 PM
kurt
the last emperor

I'm left with mixed feelings about this. The Olympics seem crooked as can be, but they do provide compelling entertainment. The World Cup of hockey was garbage, but can only get better I guess.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Carolinas Identity*
#GoPERDS #win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
But why would the players agree to that? They want to change escrow in the next bargaining talks.
because give and take?

the cba is/was fine at the time

players wanted something

owners said: "okay, we will give you this thing that you want but that potentially could be a huge liability for us if you get hurt, or w/e. but if we do, will you make one small concession?"

players said: "NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo"

Old
04-03-2017, 05:00 PM
madhi19
Just the tip!

The big sticking point was always marketing. If you can't use highlight and pictures of your own player to market the NHL participation, what was the point anyway? Everything else were minor annoyance, that was the big deal breaker and the IOC was not bugging on it.

madhi19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:10 PM
USAUSA1

Players can still go if they get permission. The nhl is just not shutting down. What's the problem again?

USAUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:13 PM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
What incentive is there to go 2022 in China ?

I as a leagues fan don't see a single dime.
Same reason why they just last week announced season starting games in Beijing.

However, IOC stance was that it is both 2018 and 2022 or neither, no cherry picking.

Last edited by wirelessflyingcord: 04-03-2017 at 05:38 PM.
wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:14 PM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAUSA1 View Post
Players can still go if they get permission. The nhl is just not shutting down. What's the problem again?
Unless you're a star player you aren't getting a permission.

wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote