HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL will not participate in 2018 Pyeongchang Olympic Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-03-2017, 05:15 PM
  #76
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey
 
mouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Mountain
Posts: 18,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
What?

Haven't you seen what has happened these past few months? The IOC have made concession after concession to the NHL, with the NHL then moving the goalposts, acting like the IOC had treated them poorly, and ranting in anger against the IOC.

The NHL negociated in bad faith, it's obvious they had made up their mind to not go long ago, and just wanted to not seem like complete ********. Well, most people completely see through their ****, and can clearly see that they are.

This is truly unforgivable in my opinion. I could not be more angry at the NHL.
What concessions have the IOC made?

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:18 PM
  #77
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron
 
wirelessflyingcord's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez Weber View Post
Absolutely disgusting decision from the owners.

Bettman has to be the worst comissioner ever. He gave us 3 lockouts and now he's not allowing the players of his league to participate in the olympics (is there any other sport league that does that? Doubt it).
I don't think there is a comparable league... either for those other leagues or individual sports Olympics ARE biggest and most important competition, so the Olympics are taken into account in the calendars or the league isn't playing during the Olympics (e.g. NBA).

Soccer doesn't count because the olympic rosters are restricted to young players.

wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:18 PM
  #78
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman
 
Acesolid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAUSA1 View Post
Players can still go if they get permission. The nhl is just not shutting down. What's the problem again?
Uhhhh, look at the exemple of MLB. Nobody will get ''permission''. Except maybe one or two superstars who threathen mutiny if they are not allowed to go. (AKA Russians)

This is such crap. It makes no sense for the NHL not to go. Hockey is not a North America / Japan centered Sport like Baseball. It's a global Sport. Like Basketball.

Could you imagine the NBA not allowing NBA players in the Olympics? There'd be player revolts!

Acesolid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:21 PM
  #79
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron
 
wirelessflyingcord's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackandLube View Post
It's right for the NHL not to kowtow to the corrupt IOC. It's a greedy money-making organization filled with entitled bosses like FIFA. Last time around, the IOC agreed to help pay the insurance costs. This time it refused. They also refused any compromises the NHL asked for like buying a few home games or making the NHL an official sponsor like Coke/McDonalds which they also refused. Probably because the the NHL doesn't pay them 2 billion dollars like Coke/McDonalds do.
Except that until last week the sticking point was the insurance... once IIHF agreed to pay it then NHL started making noises about the official sponsor status / other access.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ol...-idUSKBN1701CM

wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:23 PM
  #80
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
What concessions have the IOC made?
... as far as I know they havent made any. talking about 2 obstinate immovable greedy forces in the NHL & the IOC. its really a wonder the NHL ever went along with this in the first place however... an olive branch, fig leaf for the NHLPA..... and as much as I despise most of what the NHL does in this case Im behind them for purely business reasons.... in addition to being vehemently against pro's at that level in any team sport competing in the Olympic Games and that includes baseball, basketball & football (soccer).

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:24 PM
  #81
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Town NHL hates !
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessflyingcord View Post
Same reason why they just last week announced season starting games in Beijing.

However, IOC stance was that it is either both 2018 and 2022, no cherry picking.
Sorry but I disagree.

NHL sending pre-season or season openers in China, they can do it tomorrow morning for all I care, its their business. But what NHL players playing in 2022 Winter Olympics gives an incentive to the NHL ?
Nothing that NHL cannot accomplish by doing pre-season or even season games in China.

They don't wanna go to Olympics, fine, but they don't get to chose which games they go to and which games they don't.

I've said it before, if the games were in USA or Canada, there would never even be a question of NHL players going or not.

powerstuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:24 PM
  #82
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman
 
Acesolid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
What concessions have the IOC made?
The International Ice Hockey Federation made a deal with the IOC to raise the $10-million-plus needed to cover the travel and insurance costs that the International Olympic Committee had decided it would no longer pay for!

It was the reason the NHL said they wouldn't go!

It's after the IOC organised this fair deal that the NHL made up other reasons to not go. Like being allowed to screw the official Olympic broadcasters and get the rights to video and pictures of Olympic Hockey games. (a ridiculous idea)

The Austro-Hungarian Empire negociated in better faith with their Ultimatum to Serbia after the Assassination of Franz Ferdinand, then the NHL negociated with the IOC.

At least the Austro-Hungarians were clear with their impossible demands they knew could never be accepted. The NHL simply made new ones up once the IOC gave them what they asked!

Acesolid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:27 PM
  #83
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron
 
wirelessflyingcord's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
Do you really think people in this country (or several others) are really not going to watch Olympic Hockey just because Crosby, Getzlaf, Price, etc are not there? It is still Olympic hockey, and if you really want to get technical, the Olympics are supposed to be amateur athletes in the first place.

I am fine with this.
That's such a stupid cliche reasoning. Particularly in the Winter Olympics very few sports have amateurs on the top, a bit more in the Summer Olympics in the less physical sports (e.g. shooting). Not to mention that even if the rosters are full of KHL and Euro leagues, they still aren't amateurs.

wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:28 PM
  #84
killer1980
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Williams, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
If I was an owner I wouldn't do it.

Players with season ending injuries @ Sochi
John Tavares
Henrik Zetterberg (Returned for two games in the Stanley Cup Playoffs as the Red Wings lost to the Boston Bruins in five games in the Eastern Conference First Round.)
Aleksander Barkov
Tomas Kopecky.

Players who missed games because of injuries @ Sochi
Paul Martin (18)
Fedor Tyutin (8)
Mats Zuccarello (4)

killer1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:28 PM
  #85
MXD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hôlle
Posts: 33,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAUSA1 View Post
Players can still go if they get permission. The nhl is just not shutting down. What's the problem again?
Really?
(I'm not challenging your claim -- I'd just like to see some evidence of the door being opened for this)

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:37 PM
  #86
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessflyingcord View Post
That's such a stupid cliche reasoning. Particularly in the Winter Olympics very few sports have amateurs on the top, a bit more in the Summer Olympics in the less physical sports (e.g. shooting). Not to mention that even if the rosters are full of KHL and Euro leagues, they still aren't amateurs.
Yeah, and a big divide between North American sensibilities & objectives, entire business model to those of Finland, Sweden & Russia, Norway & elsewhere with their close ties to the IIHF & the Olympic Movement in general....
................ How about this instead.... rather than NHL Pro's, the teams that usually compete in the World Juniors attend the Olympics & represent their countries, dispense with the World Juniors every 4yrs?..........

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:38 PM
  #87
GordonGraham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,508
vCash: 500
Havent watched a singe game this season (still bitter about not getting an expansion team), this just cemented that i made the right decision

I sure hope when the games come back to the USA/Canada the IOC will tell the NHL to go **** themselves

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:43 PM
  #88
McJesu
Registered User
 
McJesu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
International hockey is in the worst state of the last 40 years or so right no. I feel for the generation of players like McDavid and Matthews that might miss out on meaningful international hockey for half or more of their careers. For shame NHL. For shame IOC. Way too much greed and idiocy on both sides. No one was willing to compromise for the greater good of the sport and their fans. Absolutely disgusting and despicable. I love Olympic best on best hockey but I'm not even sure if I want the NHL to go back for China. You can't pick and choose tournaments, it lessens the importance of the games if you show up when you like. It's a dark day for the game of hockey and can't understand the "hockey fans" that didn't really care if the NHL went or not.

McJesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:44 PM
  #89
Caeldan
Moderator
Whippet Whisperer
 
Caeldan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,455
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer1980 View Post
If I was an owner I wouldn't do it.

Players with season ending injuries @ Sochi
John Tavares
Henrik Zetterberg (Returned for two games in the Stanley Cup Playoffs as the Red Wings lost to the Boston Bruins in five games in the Eastern Conference First Round.)
Aleksander Barkov
Tomas Kopecky.

Players who missed games because of injuries @ Sochi
Paul Martin (18)
Fedor Tyutin (8)
Mats Zuccarello (4)
What about the players who missed games because of injuries at the WCoH?
Or ones that were off to slow starts because of injuries that didn't keep them out of games?
Or ones that didn't have chemistry with their teammates due to a new coach (and system) but didn't have the opportunity to participate in training camp, and they started the season on the road?
Or the ones who were injured due to the 7th 3 games in 4 nights thanks to the compressed schedule of WCoH and still having an ASG in the same year they introduce the 'bye week'?

Nearly every argument you try to apply about injuries in the Olympics can apply back on the WCoH (the only one is that the timing of the injury can be a bit more inconvenient due to the Olympics being later in the season/less time to recover prior to playoffs), but because the NHL tried to make some money off the latter - it never comes up as an 'issue'.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:45 PM
  #90
Caeldan
Moderator
Whippet Whisperer
 
Caeldan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,455
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Really?
(I'm not challenging your claim -- I'd just like to see some evidence of the door being opened for this)
Leonsis I believe is on record saying he'll allow Ovechkin to compete.
Melnyk has pretty much stated he wouldn't allow Karlsson to go.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:45 PM
  #91
killer1980
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Williams, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
How about this instead.... rather than NHL Pro's, the teams that usually compete in the World Juniors attend the Olympics & represent their countries, dispense with the World Juniors every 4yrs?..........
If my number 1 pick and hope for the future ended his career or got a delbilating injury in the Olympics, I'd be furious. As an owner, not hockey fan, I wouldn't let it happen. Like it or not, hockey is a business. I'd do all I could to stop any of my players from participating.

killer1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:50 PM
  #92
killer1980
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Williams, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
What about the players who missed games because of injuries at the WCoH?
Same thing, I wouldn't let them compete in any other hockey period. Some athletes have it in their contracts that the can't ride motorcycles or go surfing. It is a multi-million dollar business. Having your top players performing to their maximum can be the difference between success and failure.

killer1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:51 PM
  #93
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer1980 View Post
If my number 1 pick and hope for the future ended his career or got a delbilating injury in the Olympics, I'd be furious. As an owner, not hockey fan, I wouldn't let it happen. Like it or not, hockey is a business. I'd do all I could to stop any of my players from participating.
But the same thing could happen in the World Junior's so whats the difference?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:51 PM
  #94
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Just off 75
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,940
vCash: 949
my guess is its all about the advertising rights

Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:57 PM
  #95
Spartachat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer1980 View Post
If my number 1 pick and hope for the future ended his career or got a delbilating injury in the Olympics, I'd be furious. As an owner, not hockey fan, I wouldn't let it happen. Like it or not, hockey is a business. I'd do all I could to stop any of my players from participating.
You can get injured in practise or using your lawn mower. Remember Joe Sakic. Hockey is a business - you are right. However, screwing over your two biggest business partners (NBC and CBC) and upsetting your fanbase is not so great for your business.

Spartachat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 05:59 PM
  #96
LPHabsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
But the same thing could happen in the World Junior's so whats the difference?
When was the last time a top pick like that was released to their countries WJC team.

A few things are missing from the overall conversation. The fact that the games will be televised overnight for the most part including I believe the Gold medal game. I'm sure those ratings that most people are talking about are going to be super. I'd love to see what the ratings were in Nagano.

The amount of travel that would be required for the players and their families. I believe it's been a nightmare in the past and I'm sure it would be the same for 2018. There's a reason they were trying to get the IOC to consider a different location for the hockey portion. Along with this are the accommodations. May not be up to NHL player standards.

The insurance is a minor issue in comparison. Yes it's a lot but if they were able to benefit from the tournament it wouldn't be a problem. Why does the NHL care about creating another TJ Sochi when all they can do is talk about it and maybe show a couple of still photographs. I saw an earlier comment about the NHL not continuing the momentum created by the Olympics. That's absolutely correct but the reason is because they can't. They don't have access to that footage and I believe is one of the biggest issues. If they were able to profit from it afterwards they would.

LPHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:00 PM
  #97
killer1980
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Williams, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
But the same thing could happen in the World Junior's so whats the difference?
I don't believe the NHL owners can call the shots at the World Junior's.

killer1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:02 PM
  #98
Rocko604
Playoffs?
 
Rocko604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I'm left with mixed feelings about this. The Olympics seem crooked as can be, but they do provide compelling entertainment. The World Cup of hockey was garbage, but can only get better I guess.
That's pretty much my take on it. 2020 is supposedly going to be less gimmicky (no U23 or Team Europe) and not 100% based in Toronto. Hope they at least spread it around North America or even do what they did in 2004 and have a Group B based in Europe. Mind you, I can't see the NHL putting any games in Europe while giving no concessions back to the Euro federations.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:05 PM
  #99
chriscarr99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 229
vCash: 500
honestly who cares. we all know canada would win anyway. why would the NHL allow players to leave during the season and make less money by that happening?

chriscarr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:05 PM
  #100
Kevin8se7en
Ooohhh can do!
 
Kevin8se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
I suggest a boycott of the NHL during the Olympics. Don't go to games. Don't watch them. Act as if the NHL doesn't exist. If enough people do it, then the owners will start taking what the people want seriously.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.