HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL will not participate in 2018 Pyeongchang Olympic Games

Old
04-03-2017, 06:09 PM
killer1980

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKWeber View Post
You can get injured in practise or using your lawn mower. Remember Joe Sakic.
Some things you can not control like a freak injury or car accident but I would try my best to mitigate against an injury I can control.

Quote:
Hockey is a business - you are right. However, screwing over your two biggest business partners (NBC and CBC) and upsetting your fanbase is not so great for your business.
A valid point, but I'd rather have a healthy team, especially in a market that will abandon me if the team is lousy and devoid of its top player(s).

killer1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:11 PM
lomiller1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
What?

Haven't you seen what has happened these past few months? The IOC have made concession after concession to the NHL,

What on earth are you talking about. The IOC has offered nothing. The only thing that has happened is that the IIHF gave into IOC demands and agreed to divert money from youth hockey and use it to pay for the insurance on NHL players.

lomiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Spartachat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
I suggest a boycott of the NHL during the Olympics. Don't go to games. Don't watch them. Act as if the NHL doesn't exist. If enough people do it, then the owners will start taking what the people want seriously.
The casual hockey fan will just watch the Olympics. February is still early for playoff races. Hardcore fans might boycott out of principle, but most will probably watch.

Spartachat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Rocko604
Playoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
I suggest a boycott of the NHL during the Olympics. Don't go to games. Don't watch them. Act as if the NHL doesn't exist. If enough people do it, then the owners will start taking what the people want seriously.
We were supposed to boycott after 04/05 and 12/13. It didn't happen then, and it won't happen in 2018.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:24 PM
ThereIsOnlyOneKing

Hoping all my fellow swedes make a stand and go regardless of the choice from the NHL, every single swedish NHLer will want to go to the olympics and represent their country. **** all of NHL.

ThereIsOnlyOneKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:26 PM
USAUSA1

Do mlb stop for the Olympics?

USAUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:30 PM
crobro

I guess giving the hosts an outside chance at s medal would really push the game forward in Asia.

I recall during the 88 Olympics in Seoul that their were a lot of biased calls and scoring in favour of the hosts . Example Roy Jones Jr getting robbed .

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:39 PM
bluesfan94
#PetroforNorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAUSA1 View Post
No, they do not, but the MLB has never sent players to the Olympics and baseball wasn't even a sport at the recent Olympics.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:41 PM
Urbanskog
Platinum Member

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobro View Post
I guess giving the hosts an outside chance at s medal would really push the game forward in Asia.

I recall during the 88 Olympics in Seoul that their were a lot of biased calls and scoring in favour of the hosts . Example Roy Jones Jr getting robbed .
That's nonsense. South Korea has zero chance to win the event, with NHL participation or not.

Urbanskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Rob

Quote:
The casual hockey fan will just watch the Olympics. February is still early for playoff races. Hardcore fans might boycott out of principle, but most will probably watch.
Not in Canada. Even the casual fan will know about the NHL not participating.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:48 PM
USAUSA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
No, they do not, but the MLB has never sent players to the Olympics and baseball wasn't even a sport at the recent Olympics.
But in 2008 they were a sport and will return in 2020. I highly doubt mlb will stop.

At the end of the day, the owners were the only ones that try to compromise with all parties.

USAUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:49 PM
McDuul

vCash: 50
Time to sewer the NHL's world cup of hockey in response. Get the people running the countries teams to pick the worst possible rosters, or have all the players refuse to play in it. What a pathetic decision.

McDuul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:56 PM
gwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuul View Post
Time to sewer the NHL's world cup of hockey in response. Get the people running the countries teams to pick the worst possible rosters, or have all the players refuse to play in it. What a pathetic decision.
Personally I d think the European national associations will riot for the next games. That 45k USD or what ever they got didn't even pay for salaries and costs for the support staff for the duration of the tournament.

So in practice IIHF gave money through the national associations to NHL owners in order to make the joke cup happen. Kinda fair, take money from disabled and kid hockey programs and give it Melnyk.

Now that NHL is out both 2018 and 2022, Fasel can seriously go after the World Cup if he wants to.

gwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:57 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
because give and take?

the cba is/was fine at the time

players wanted something

owners said: "okay, we will give you this thing that you want but that potentially could be a huge liability for us if you get hurt, or w/e. but if we do, will you make one small concession?" Well the NHL should recognize "growing the game" means making it more popular worldwide.

players said: "NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo"
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer1980 View Post
If I was an owner I wouldn't do it.

Players with season ending injuries @ Sochi
John Tavares
Henrik Zetterberg (Returned for two games in the Stanley Cup Playoffs as the Red Wings lost to the Boston Bruins in five games in the Eastern Conference First Round.)
Aleksander Barkov
Tomas Kopecky.

Players who missed games because of injuries @ Sochi
Paul Martin (18)
Fedor Tyutin (8)
Mats Zuccarello (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
What about the players who missed games because of injuries at the WCoH?
Or ones that were off to slow starts because of injuries that didn't keep them out of games?
Or ones that didn't have chemistry with their teammates due to a new coach (and system) but didn't have the opportunity to participate in training camp, and they started the season on the road?
Or the ones who were injured due to the 7th 3 games in 4 nights thanks to the compressed schedule of WCoH and still having an ASG in the same year they introduce the 'bye week'?

Nearly every argument you try to apply about injuries in the Olympics can apply back on the WCoH (the only one is that the timing of the injury can be a bit more inconvenient due to the Olympics being later in the season/less time to recover prior to playoffs), but because the NHL tried to make some money off the latter - it never comes up as an 'issue'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
Leonsis I believe is on record saying he'll allow Ovechkin to compete.
Melnyk has pretty much stated he wouldn't allow Karlsson to go.
I agree Caeldan. If that is the case, why play any good players the last 10 games of a season, they might get hurt!

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 06:59 PM
varsaku

vCash: 480
I still feel that the decision was made not to go so that they can increase the value in the world cup of hockey. They are using the excuse of injuries and money loss as a cover to their real intention. After the spectacular fail of a world cup, they are trying to save face and are trying to forceably improve the importance of the world cup of hockey.

varsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 07:04 PM
Keystone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBlueLiner View Post
I hope this means the IOC or IIHF makes a rule that nations use their U-20 teams. I really want to see the World Juniors replicated on the Olympic stage. It would be a great event, close games, and its still a high quality of hockey.

It's about the crest on the front of the jersey and representing your country.
100% this

Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 07:08 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
What?

Haven't you seen what has happened these past few months? The IOC have made concession after concession to the NHL, with the NHL then moving the goalposts, acting like the IOC had treated them poorly, and ranting in anger against the IOC.

The NHL negociated in bad faith, it's obvious they had made up their mind to not go long ago, and just wanted to not seem like complete ********. Well, most people completely see through their ****, and can clearly see that they are.

This is truly unforgivable in my opinion. I could not be more angry at the NHL.
I stand by what I said.

Let me give you an example.

We all know how Sidney Crosby scored the Golden Goal in 2010.

You cannot find that highlight on any NHL platform or on Sportsnet because the TV rights holder is CTV/TSN.

It's the NHL's players, playing on an NHL rink, in a NHL city and the NHL cannot show the highlight.

Meanwhile, the NHL has ceased playing for two weeks, and they are risking their players.

The IOC needs to stop being so arrogant and greedy and negotiate in good faith.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 07:12 PM
varsaku

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I stand by what I said.

You cannot find that highlight on any NHL platform or on Sportsnet because the TV rights holder is CTV/TSN.

It's the NHL's players, playing on an NHL rink, in a NHL city and the NHL cannot show the highlight.

Meanwhile, the NHL has ceased playing for two weeks, and they are risking their players.

The IOC is the much bigger organization and has all the bargaining power. NHL can only decide to go or not.

varsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 07:12 PM
gwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAUSA1 View Post
KHL stops for the olympics.

gwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 07:15 PM
Ernie

The ball is in the players' court now. If enough of them state they will defy the ban and go to the games anyhow, they can blow this thing open. Which they should do, if they care about this as much as they claim to.

Are owners really going to suspend their star players, or terminate their contracts, after losing them for two weeks already? Yeah.. I don't think so.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 07:16 PM
NEPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Canadian TV can not be thrilled either. CBC paid a lot of money for the Olympic rights based mainly on hockey.
With the comment about NBC being angry. I'm hoping this creates a door for FOX to swoop in for the next TV deal.

NEPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 07:31 PM
crobro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanskog View Post
That's nonsense. South Korea has zero chance to win the event, with NHL participation or not.
They are nationalizing players as we speak

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 07:34 PM
Siludin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I stand by what I said.

I have questions about this because NHL and NA writers have given their two cents on the matter in spades but I am guessing that is because they have better access to NHL owners and NHL organization members than they do to IOC negotiating officials. Do we really know what the IOC offered? Has the IOC actually come out and said, "we offered zero concessions in negotiations"? Because otherwise, we are only hearing the NHL's side of the story or at least only hearing about the NHL's demands.

Siludin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 07:49 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Some baseball people think they will for the LA Olympics.

They agreed to have MLB players during the Chicago bid to save baseballs funding but that didnt happen.

NPB does and that league does serious business.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2017, 07:52 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... as far as I know they havent made any. talking about 2 obstinate immovable greedy forces in the NHL & the IOC. its really a wonder the NHL ever went along with this in the first place however... an olive branch, fig leaf for the NHLPA..... and as much as I despise most of what the NHL does in this case Im behind them for purely business reasons.... in addition to being vehemently against pro's at that level in any team sport competing in the Olympic Games and that includes baseball, basketball & football (soccer).
Im all for the Olympics basically being track swimming and biking and other individ. sports. Personally think team sports should handle their own tournies, but some sports see their wealth is bigger by being part of a bigger Olympics pid.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote