HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT 2.10.06 vs. Washington Capitals

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2006, 08:39 PM
DeleteThisAccount

vCash: 500
RICHARDS! Flyers win due to AWESOME killing! 5-4 Final.

Old
02-10-2006, 08:39 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1462
OK. A win

Old
02-10-2006, 08:40 PM
phlacheesesteak

beauty

Old
chthonic

what did pitkanen do to deserve all that abuse all game long?!

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
What the hell is everyone's problem with Pitkanen? At this rate, they're going to slash his tires before they leave.

Old
02-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Washington losing tonight wasn't enough for this Flyers fan.

Old
02-10-2006, 08:42 PM
erin07

we needed the two points but in this new nhl i will never understand how hitch manages a close game,with no hooking and holding you cant rely on stopping the AO'S or crosbys,jagrs why not play like we did in the 2nd none the less its a win

Old
02-10-2006, 08:44 PM
FlyersFanJS

10 PPs for WSH, how about a little discipline?

Old
02-10-2006, 08:44 PM
DeleteThisAccount

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
What the hell is everyone's problem with Pitkanen? At this rate, they're going to slash his tires before they leave.
That's the way Joni plays now. He was definitely egging on Pettinger, then (if JFF speaks the truth), stiff-armed him when he tried to get a lick in on Joni. Pitkanen has an edge to his game now, and this'll probably happen once in a while.

Last edited by DeleteThisAccount: 02-10-2006 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Hehehe... acronyms good.
Old
02-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

I don't care how smack Joni was talking. Our confused "enforcer" conveniently forgot how to protect ythe star player once again. This garbage is getting a little old.

Old
02-10-2006, 08:48 PM
John Flyers Fan

I wish we played the Caps again. More than a few Caps deserve a beating.

Old
02-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I wish we played the Caps again. More than a few Caps deserve a beating.
Wouldn't "Fridge" be nice right now?

Old
02-10-2006, 09:02 PM
DeleteThisAccount

Oooh, Hitch throwing out a bone for the reporters regarding goaltending.

"Is it fair to assume Niittymaki's playing tomorrow night?" "It's not fair to assume anything right now."

Old
02-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

The confidence that Richards and Carter have gained the past two games is HUGE for this team and for them. They finally, not that they didn't before, but they finally look like the future stars they are supposed to be.

I love how Pitkanen pisses people off. He doesn't have to give you a cheap shot, he just has to smile at you and he can draw penalties. Man, I love that face he gives guys.

The first two periods were good, it felt like the team was standing up for itself and then that fell apart when Washington started the cheap shots and no one did anything about it.

I think they'll probably lose to Ottawa tomorrow simply because of our missing talent, but there's more jump in everyone's step and that's a positive sign.

Old
02-10-2006, 09:04 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Wouldn't "Fridge" be nice right now?
Fridge would have given them another PP late in the 3rd period.

The problem was the sloppy defense made it a one goal game. If it stays a two or three goal game Brashear/Stevenson would have taken care of business.

Or if we had a 7+ point lead in the division.

Old
02-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Next Best Thing*

What happened to the physically dominant team the Flyers once were? I looked at the game stats for tonight and the hits were 15-9 for WAS? Or maybe this team doesn't need to play rough anymore having Forsberg and Gagne the magicians?

Old
02-10-2006, 09:14 PM
iceman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
One problem was the refs let it happen, did nothing to stop it or pull players apart at the end, awefully bad ref'd game both with the BS penalties and the cheap shots by the Caps.

Old
02-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing
What happened to the physically dominant team the Flyers once were? I looked at the game stats for tonight and the hits were 15-9 for WAS? Or maybe this team doesn't need to play rough anymore having Forsberg and Gagne the magicians?
It's a stereotype, that as a fan of this team I didn't want to see go, but it looks like it's gone. The game has changed, there's not AS MUCH physical play as there used to be, but a lot of physicality comes from desperation and desire, and the Flyers haven't been playing desperate for a while. I think once the playoffs get here, that'll change.

There's still a mis-perception about the size of the Flyers given their history. Yeah, there's some big guys, but there's little guys too. It's not as easy to be physically dominant because they're not as big as they used to be. The Caps announcer went on and on about how "big" the Flyers rookies were...well, Mike Richards is 5'11". Big? Not really. It's just a stereotype that will probably never die. The point is, this team is not physically dominant or as big as they used to be. Times have changed.

Old
02-10-2006, 10:43 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Decent game overall. Maybe a couple small arguments with Esche over the first couple goals, but his fantastic play over the course of the game more than made up for it. I think he plays better when there is competition for the starting goalie job.

I was really impressed with the rookies. I've defended Hitch a lot, especially with Carter, but he's done nothing but produce since Forsberg and Nedved went down. Although he only had 1 A tonight, he was everywhere on the ice and he generated several good chances. I also liked his overall hustle and attitude. I think he's proven that he deserves more minutes, preferably with more talented players. I'd like to see Carter playing with Nedved with Carter centering that line. He's just much more effective as a center.

Also very impressed with Richards. Did a great job in the last minute or so when the Caps had the 2-man advantage. He just shows good effort every night.

I think I've hit a conclusion about the team. What they need right now is a shutdown C. Ovechkin is Ovechkin, but he was really running rampant tonight. We've had trouble with opponents' top lines lately. I think either Handzus or Richards needs to be told that scoring isn't a priority for their line. Their job is to shut down the opposing team's top line. Once Forsberg and Nedved get back and maybe we trade for a winger, we'll have more than enough scoring talent. We need to shutdown opponents.

Pitkanen is better, but still doesn't quite look 100% to me, I'm glad he's not going to Torino. Rico is so huge to this team, I think he might be the difference between a Stanley Cup and a playoff exit. This scares me because he's made of glass.

Like I said, decent game, but we shouldn't be giving up 4 goals to the Capitals.

Old
02-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Pitkanen is better, but still doesn't quite look 100% to me, I'm glad he's not going to Torino. Rico is so huge to this team, I think he might be the difference between a Stanley Cup and a playoff exit. This scares me because he's made of glass.
I have to disagree about Pitkanen. I think he's pretty damn close to 100% because tonight was the first time since before the injury we saw him really pissing off players with that smile and little shoves after the whistle. He was doing a lot of that before the injury and hasn't done it since. I think it shows his confidence in his game and confidence that he's healthy enough to start doing all of the things he used to.

Old
02-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesthar
I swear he's gonna score a goal with his rebound sometime. I don't think Johnson could stop one of his rockets.

Old
02-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Does anyone know how many 1 goal wins the Flyers have this season? It has to be more than any other team this year.

Old
02-10-2006, 11:45 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
Does anyone know how many 1 goal wins the Flyers have this season? It has to be more than any other team this year.

From what I see, they are 20-11 in games decided by 1 goal and 13-13 in games decided by 2 or more goals.

Old
02-11-2006, 08:20 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
I have to disagree about Pitkanen. I think he's pretty damn close to 100% because tonight was the first time since before the injury we saw him really pissing off players with that smile and little shoves after the whistle. He was doing a lot of that before the injury and hasn't done it since. I think it shows his confidence in his game and confidence that he's healthy enough to start doing all of the things he used to.
I saw that, but his skating still doesn't quite look perfect to me, over the last couple games, he's been having some trouble receiving passes, especially ones in his skates. In fact, Washington's 2nd goal happened because he couldn't get the puck out of his skates and clear. Not bashing him though, he still played very well.

Old
02-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
From what I see, they are 20-11 in games decided by 1 goal and 13-13 in games decided by 2 or more goals.

Thank you for that information!

Closed Thread