HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phaneuf - How Much is Too Much?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2006, 01:05 AM
  #51
Rudolf Yaber
Registered User
 
Rudolf Yaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers
How about Henrik Lundqvist?

Personally I'm not too sure the Rangers would do this but its interesting. A franchise d-man for a franchise goalie.
Calgary wouldn't do it either. They already have their goalie.

Rudolf Yaber is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 01:06 AM
  #52
Rudolf Yaber
Registered User
 
Rudolf Yaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote
So you'd rather have a worse player??

Rudolf Yaber is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 01:09 AM
  #53
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 30,940
vCash: 500
There are at least three players on the Pens right now that I would not trade for him. I suspect that there are one or two on most teams that the same could be said about. So there is a start to answering your question.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 01:27 AM
  #54
Hawker14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
There are at least three players on the Pens right now that I would not trade for him. I suspect that there are one or two on most teams that the same could be said about. So there is a start to answering your question.
do you really think so ?

15+ teams have one player they wouldn't trade for phaneuf ? possibly. that makes him a top 15 player in the league.

at least three players on the pens right now ... ok, crosby i can see. fleury ? orpik, malone, whitney, recchi, leclair ?

who are three players you wouldn't trade for him ?

Hawker14 is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 01:32 AM
  #55
jiggyman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
Dion Phaneuf is very proper, good at what he does, modest, and his hobbies include amateur carpentry

If only he was from Arlen, Texas.. I'd think he was Hank Hill. They even look alike.


haha very proper? you really don't know the guy do you?

btw you used to play gw didn't you? srry no one of the forums gonna know what im talking about but kmad

jiggyman is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 01:35 AM
  #56
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 30,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker14
do you really think so ?

15+ teams have one player they wouldn't trade for phaneuf ? possibly. that makes him a top 15 player in the league.

at least three players on the pens right now ... ok, crosby i can see. fleury ? orpik, malone, whitney, recchi, leclair ?

who are three players you wouldn't trade for him ?
On the Pens right now was slightly wrong. Crosby, Fleury and Malkin are the three, and no, I would not trade one of them for Phaneuf. Phaneuf is a great player, but there are others of similar, or better, pedigree out there. He is worth about as much as any of those, meaning virtually untouchable by any trade that would reasonably be offered. This thread is just a major stroke my player sort of exercise, is it not?

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 01:46 AM
  #57
Phanuthier*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murder capital (Edm)
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmans Domain
that's why i'd love to see him in st. louis.....size, toughness & potential.

St. Louis' 1st in '06
Barrett Jackman (to compensate for the loss of a D-man, THIS year)
and ?????? what more???

Calgary fans.....I want to hear...from You....
Honestly, there's no reason to deal him.

I don't think St Louis has anything overly interesting that I'd be interested in. Right now, I don't think anyone does. I'd be tempted to say maybe Lehtonen or Lundquist, but the Flames are ok with Kiprusoff.

Phanuthier* is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 01:47 AM
  #58
Hawker14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
On the Pens right now was slightly wrong. Crosby, Fleury and Malkin are the three, and no, I would not trade one of them for Phaneuf. Phaneuf is a great player, but there are others of similar, or better, pedigree out there. He is worth about as much as any of those, meaning virtually untouchable by any trade that would reasonably be offered. This thread is just a major stroke my player sort of exercise, is it not?
i'd trade fleury or malkin for phaneuf in a heartbeat. and i'm not a fan of either team. just my opinion.

of course, i called martin st.louis a one year wonder last year, so what do i know.

(nothing, except i was right about st.louis)

i

Hawker14 is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 01:48 AM
  #59
Phanuthier*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murder capital (Edm)
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attica
Phaneuf doesn't touch Crosby or Ovechkin's value. Get over yourself.

2 names come to mind.

Evgeny Malkin, Marek Svatos, these are the only 2 players i can think of with a potential like Phaneufs.

Phaneuf is not, and never will be the greatest player in the game, Ovechkin and Crosby have that potential.

Having said that, there's no way I trade him, Malkin isn't a sutter player, and neither is Svatos. It doesn't make sense.

Phaneuf, as much as you want him to be, is not a franchise player, and hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell at the Calder when Crosby and Ovechkin are already franchise players in their FIRST year.

Evgeny Malkin for Dion Phaneuf would be a decent trade.
Maybe to you, but I'd pass. I take top defenseman over top forwards any day, and top goalies over top defenseman any day. Like I said above, I'd take Lundquist and Lehtonen over Phaneuf, but we are already ok in net with Kiprusoff.

Phanuthier* is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 01:57 AM
  #60
Hawker14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier
Maybe to you, but I'd pass. I take top defenseman over top forwards any day, and top goalies over top defenseman any day. Like I said above, I'd take Lundquist and Lehtonen over Phaneuf, but we are already ok in net with Kiprusoff.
then you'd be making a huge mistake. goalies have historically matured in their mid to late 20's ... and late round draft picks are just as likely to be stars as first rounders.

trading phaneuf for either lundqvist or lehtonen (even if the flames didn't have kiprusoff) would be a joke.

goalies are too tough to gauge to trade a top tier talent. just look at ryan miller and kiprusoff's draft positions. and how theodore was an elite goalie. they're too flaky.

phaneuf for a goalie will never happen, even if red light racicot is in net.

Hawker14 is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 02:13 AM
  #61
Phanuthier*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murder capital (Edm)
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker14
then you'd be making a huge mistake. goalies have historically matured in their mid to late 20's ... and late round draft picks are just as likely to be stars as first rounders.
I would have totally agreed with you 2 years ago, but not anymore. Especially not in a year when 3 rookies are top 15 in scoring (2 of them rookies), when a 20 year old can lead the league in goals (Rick Nash) and STILL go back to junior the next year, when you can have almost top snipers (Svatos, Prusha) as rookies, top defenseman (Phaneuf, Seabrock, ect) at the tender age of 20 doing... well what they're doing now, and young 23 year old goalies like Lundquist doing what he's doing right now.

Kids coming into the NHL these days are insane. They used to come in smaller, slower and need time to adjust to the new environment. Now? They just step and and not even miss a beat. It's rediculous, really, how fast the game has evolved in the past couple years.

Phanuthier* is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 02:45 AM
  #62
Hawker14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier
I would have totally agreed with you 2 years ago, but not anymore. Especially not in a year when 3 rookies are top 15 in scoring (2 of them rookies), when a 20 year old can lead the league in goals (Rick Nash) and STILL go back to junior the next year, when you can have almost top snipers (Svatos, Prusha) as rookies, top defenseman (Phaneuf, Seabrock, ect) at the tender age of 20 doing... well what they're doing now, and young 23 year old goalies like Lundquist doing what he's doing right now.

Kids coming into the NHL these days are insane. They used to come in smaller, slower and need time to adjust to the new environment. Now? They just step and and not even miss a beat. It's rediculous, really, how fast the game has evolved in the past couple years.
what are you talking about. was this a regurgitated post from two years ago ?

what the heck is three rookies top 15 in scoring ( two of them rookies ) ? rick nash can go back to junior next year ?

you're a fool.

Hawker14 is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 02:48 AM
  #63
Phanuthier*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murder capital (Edm)
Posts: 10,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker14
what are you talking about. was this a regurgitated post from two years ago ?

what the heck is three rookies top 15 in scoring ( two of them rookies ) ? rick nash can go back to junior next year ?

you're a fool.
Sorry, 3 young players (Staal, Ovechkin, Crosby), 2 of them rookies. Rick Nash could have played junior last year.

My bad

Phanuthier* is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 03:32 AM
  #64
melubsdonna
Registered User
 
melubsdonna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
malkin, crosby, ovechkin, lundqvist > Phaneuf.

Malkin is a star outside of NHL. Crosby, Ovechkin and Lundqvist are stars in the NHL. Phaneuf is a good player so far. I wouldnt do Phaneuf for Malkin no way.

melubsdonna is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 09:36 AM
  #65
HellsBells
Registered User
 
HellsBells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by melubsdonna
malkin, crosby, ovechkin, lundqvist > Phaneuf.

Malkin is a star outside of NHL. Crosby, Ovechkin and Lundqvist are stars in the NHL. Phaneuf is a good player so far. I wouldnt do Phaneuf for Malkin no way.
Phaneuf is every bit the star as the others on your list. Do you know what defencemen are ??

Ovechkin, Phaneuf & Lundqvist have all played better this year than Crosby. Its all hype with Crosby or he wouldn't even be a Calder nominee right now.

HellsBells is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 09:57 AM
  #66
guzzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier
Too much

Why trade him?

Oh yeah, I guess apperently there's 50 players better then him, including Paul Mara, Vishnovski, Kariya, Boyle, Kaberle, McCabe, ect ect are all worth more.
Not only better but franchise players according to the guy who posted it previously.

guzzy is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 10:47 AM
  #67
MakoSlade
Registered User
 
MakoSlade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MakoSlade Send a message via MSN to MakoSlade Send a message via Yahoo to MakoSlade
From what I hear about him, anyone would have to be crazy to trade a guy like Phaneuf. End of story.

If he is as similar to Scott Stevens as many people say, he can not be traded by a sane person. Not for Crosby, not for Ovechkin, not for anyone. Not that ayone would trade either of those for Phaneuf, of course, but when you get a guy like that you build around him.

MakoSlade is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 11:17 AM
  #68
kimzey59
Registered User
 
kimzey59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoSLade
From what I hear about him, anyone would have to be crazy to trade a guy like Phaneuf. End of story.

If he is as similar to Scott Stevens as many people say, he can not be traded by a sane person. Not for Crosby, not for Ovechkin, not for anyone. Not that ayone would trade either of those for Phaneuf, of course, but when you get a guy like that you build around him.

Stevens is a poor comparison. Phaneuf has offensive abilities Stevens couldn't touch. IMO Phaneuf is the next Rob Blake(right down to his nasty edge and booming point shot).

kimzey59 is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 11:24 AM
  #69
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59
Stevens is a poor comparison. Phaneuf has offensive abilities Stevens couldn't touch. IMO Phaneuf is the next Rob Blake(right down to his nasty edge and booming point shot).
Actually at the same age as Dion, Stevens put up 65 points, more than Phaneuf is projected to get... I think Stevens offensive output was hugely underrated early in his career.

oil slick is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 11:29 AM
  #70
JonQuixote
Registered User
 
JonQuixote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59
Stevens is a poor comparison. Phaneuf has offensive abilities Stevens couldn't touch. IMO Phaneuf is the next Rob Blake(right down to his nasty edge and booming point shot).
That's not really true. For the first dozen years or so of his career, Stevens was a 15-45-60 defenseman. His career high in points in a season (78) eclipses Blake's by about 10.

We just tend to remember Stevens better from the last 10 years of his career, when the Devils went all Neutral Zone trap and Stevens became a poster boy for the dump, chase, check system and Scott Neidermeyer took over Primary Blue-Line Offense duties.

Stevens remains an excellent comparison, imo. He'll play in all situations and eventually 30 minutes a night, he'll man the point on the Power Play, he'll move the puck out of the zone, he won't be beat one on one, and if you're not paying attention, he'll put you into a coma.

JonQuixote is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 11:30 AM
  #71
JonQuixote
Registered User
 
JonQuixote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick
Actually at the same age as Dion, Stevens put up 65 points, more than Phaneuf is projected to get... I think Stevens offensive output was hugely underrated early in his career.
Ha. Great minds.

JonQuixote is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 12:09 PM
  #72
melubsdonna
Registered User
 
melubsdonna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
You wouldnt trade phaneuf for ovechkin? you are crazy. ovechkin will be the most dominant player in the NHL for they next 15-20 years IMO. will phaneuf be the most dominant defenceman in the net 15-20 years? maybe...

melubsdonna is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 12:26 PM
  #73
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by melubsdonna
You wouldnt trade phaneuf for ovechkin? you are crazy. ovechkin will be the most dominant player in the NHL for they next 15-20 years IMO. will phaneuf be the most dominant defenceman in the net 15-20 years? maybe...
no i wouldnt trade Phaneuf for Ovechkin... I would much rather have a home grown player who was only born 3 hours away... a guy who grew up understanding and loving the battle of alberta... the guy has been a comsumate winner (memorial cup, WJC gold & silver)... in teh gold medal win he dominated the tournement... a tournement that Ovechkin left the gold medal game because of a minor "injury"...

Ovechkin will be another Pavel Bure... great player, flashy... but will never win the big one... and with his excessive goal celebrations after every single goal... its only a matter of time before someone takes a run at him sometimetime after he "taunts" them...

plus a franchise defenseman is more important than a flashy forward... no matter how dominant

Lunatik* is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 12:35 PM
  #74
TribalPhoenix
HFBoards Sponsor
 
TribalPhoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,324
vCash: 506
ONly deal I could see is :

TO PITTSBURGH :

Dion Phaneuf

TO CALGARY :

Evgeni Malkin
Ryan Whitney
1st Round Pick 2006
1st Round Pick 2007

TribalPhoenix is offline  
Old
02-11-2006, 12:37 PM
  #75
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalPhoenix
ONly deal I could see is :

TO PITTSBURGH :

Dion Phaneuf

TO CALGARY :

Evgeni Malkin
Ryan Whitney
1st Round Pick 2006
1st Round Pick 2007
Where's the puking icon?
The Calgary side looks extremely light there.

trentmccleary is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.