HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Location and its role in attendance

Old
04-21-2017, 09:33 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFG View Post
I recently visited Tampa and what struck me was how great of a location Amalie Arena has. It reminded me of Nashville which I visited two years ago where Bridgestone Arena also has a fantastic downtown location. I've not visited any other of the soutern expansion team's arenas but my understanding is that many of their arenas are not located downtown in the same way.

My understanding is also that Tampa and Nashville are widely regarded as the most succesful of the southern teams, not in Stanley Cups won but more in how they have brought fans to their arenas.

My theory is that the arena location has played a big role in the market success of these franchises. Do you agree or are other factors much more important eg. team success, marketable players, owners etc.?
Merged with a thread in the Business forum which asked exactly the same question.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:22 AM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
Quote:
I recently visited Tampa and what struck me was how great of a location Amalie Arena has. It reminded me of Nashville which I visited two years ago where Bridgestone Arena also has a fantastic downtown location. I've not visited any other of the soutern expansion team's arenas but my understanding is that many of their arenas are not located downtown in the same way.

My understanding is also that Tampa and Nashville are widely regarded as the most succesful of the southern teams, not in Stanley Cups won but more in how they have brought fans to their arenas.

My theory is that the arena location has played a big role in the market success of these franchises. Do you agree or are other factors much more important eg. team success, marketable players, owners etc.?
Not sure if it is considered downtown, but Atlanta's arena was right near the Georgia Dome, the Coke Museum, Aquarium.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:24 AM
RicFlairWoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Not sure if it is considered downtown, but Atlanta's arena was right near the Georgia Dome, the Coke Museum, Aquarium.
Speaks to the fact that on-ice success is important too. Predators used to have pretty lousy attendance even with their supreme location.

RicFlairWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:18 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Atlanta's kind of a unique case among downtown districts, though, because of the way the city is laid out. It wasn't a bad location per se (I've seen that argument before and I disagree) but I wouldn't consider it to be primo real estate from a local citizen's point of view. It's more accessible to tourists in highrise hotels than it is to people who actually live there.

Old
04-21-2017, 12:57 PM
Elephant Igloo

Quote:
Nashville has very generous taxpayer subsidies. They shouldn't be mentioned alongside a real success like Tampa.

Elephant Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:01 PM
Gnashville
One and Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Igloo View Post
Nashville has very generous taxpayer subsidies. They shouldn't be mentioned alongside a real success like Tampa.
You mean like a 400+ million dollar taxpayer funded arena in Quebec?
Or 13 million dollar subsidies in Winnipeg. Are they a "real" success like Tampa??

Of course you know most of the "subsides" in Nashville come from taxes on ticket sales and that money is earmarked for arena upkeep.

Also to answer an earlier question the Predators ratings did a 6.9 last night with the 3rd period doing a 10.2

Last edited by Gnashville: 04-21-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:04 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Taxpayer subsidies don't increase attendance, which is what that post is referring to.

How about we not have ANOTHER thread derailed by this exact same topic AGAIN.

Old
04-21-2017, 02:02 PM
Ernie

If fans aren't having enough time to get to the arena after work because of the location, these teams should see a big bump in weekend games, when fans have time to get to the games and traffic isn't an issue. Any evidence of this?

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 07:40 AM
Mathers

It makes a huge difference. I believe it to be the most important factor, with a caveat:

Equally important is accessibility. Downtown location is ideal (for the simple reason that it is the focal point for populations living in all directions), but without requisite parking and public transport links, you won't maximize its potential.

Mathers is offline   Reply With Quote