HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix CXXVI: Clowns to the left of me... jokers to the right...

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2017, 10:34 AM
Slashers98

vCash: 500
I don't see how building a new arena with the TS tribe is any better than remaining at GRA? In both scenarios, the clowns won't benefit from a hefty subsidy.

I don't understand how investing +$200M in a new building makes any sense at all. It doesn't guarantee IA will make any profit at all as a result of moving into a new facility. They could still lose millions of dollars annually if they don't bother improving the on-ice product...

Ice a competitive team and increase the marketing and you might be able to draw more fans and sell more merchandise!

Old
04-07-2017, 10:46 AM
offkilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... fantasy time huh?.... ok, I'll play...

a) yep, kiss & make-up with Glendale, give it 7yrs, squeeze AEG out & craft an equitable AMC with the COG.
b) seriously amp'd up marketing, promotion, cross-promotions, direct consumer & sponsorship sales.... Boiler Room included, and I mean Vipers. Alec Baldwin type in charge. You want Leads? Heres the phone book. Start dialing Slick.
c) no, just wait n' see on that one. and if that means waiting in vain or until he's a UFA so be it.
d) no, Sarver, the NBA = The Enemy. Game on Buddy. Goin after your sponsors, your bookings, bringing in House of Blues, LiveNation, all bolstered by my own in-house team.
e) yes, coordinate with Westgate & through negotiations with the COG pickup all the marbles Ellman dropped & start building again, including the revival of Sportsmans Park with the Bidwills & if they dont wanna play nice with us? So be it. You want a Parking War etc etc? Bring it. New Sheriff in town.
f) oh, all kinds of "other stuff".... Guerilla Marketing of the kind you dont acknowledge as having authored or approved. Full range of activities GS.

Totally embrace the State, City, Valley of the Sun on every level. Culturally, socially etc. Hire an offensively minded Coach & GM, ice a team with some Hot Tamale's and that would include a couple of Psych Jobs. On & on. Tell the public "look, weve got 5yrs to resurrect the patient, were working 24/7-365, you people need to step up to the plate & vote with your wallets" and set Goals for Seasons Tickets on a graduated scale, include Mini-Packs & so on & so forth, comfortable terms etc etc etc.
That's all well and good, but what happens when after spending all that time and effort when again as has happened in the past fans refuse to drive across town to see games and don't pay the ridiculously cheap price compared to most of the league for NHL hockey? What happens when the building again sits half empty? What happens when again the ownership is hemoraging cash?

In the end the cycle will just begin again.

Old
04-07-2017, 10:58 AM
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser

vCash: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
I don't see how building a new arena with the TS tribe is any better than remaining at GRA?
In terms of location, Salt River Fields is the best place the Coyotes could possibly hope for. It's not as centrally-located as the Tempe site was, but it IS the location of the Valley's best Spring Training facility. It already has plenty of existing infrastructure and it's right off the 101 Loop. But most critically, it's in the closest proximity to the most money in the Valley metro area. Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, Cave Creek, all of the East Side's toniest areas are within a five- to ten-minute drive of SRF. That means if the team ever gets successful, there is a lot of corporate and suite money ready to flow in.

The downsides: while there is a good hardy core of hockey fans in that area (including the rich families who are the driving force behind Arizona's grassroots programs), that area is also littered with the rich transplant fans whose loyalties are at best divided. Also, from what I understand the tribal group who runs SRF@TS already looked into getting subsidy money from the Indian Authority and were denied, so the only way this happens is if Coyotes ownership ponies up a substantial amount of dough. And if the arena deal goes through, the Coyotes ownership won't have control of any ancillary retail or hotel assets unless they develop it all themselves - which might be a hairy situation given that there is already plenty of shopping and hotel business at Salt River Fields.

To me personally, an arena at SRF is the only possible solution that might have any hope for the future; however, the success of such a venture presupposes behavior from the Coyotes that is definitely not in line with their behavior or philosophy to date. An owner with any financial wherewithal and business acumen would be able to take advantage of the situation - and moreover would want to because of the long-term benefits - but we're working with "clowns and jokers" here...

Old
04-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Slashers98

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Feckless Puck View Post
In terms of location, Salt River Fields is the best place the Coyotes could possibly hope for. It's not as centrally-located as the Tempe site was, but it IS the location of the Valley's best Spring Training facility. It already has plenty of existing infrastructure and it's right off the 101 Loop. But most critically, it's in the closest proximity to the most money in the Valley metro area. Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, Cave Creek, all of the East Side's toniest areas are within a five- to ten-minute drive of SRF. That means if the team ever gets successful, there is a lot of corporate and suite money ready to flow in.

The downsides: while there is a good hardy core of hockey fans in that area (including the rich families who are the driving force behind Arizona's grassroots programs), that area is also littered with the rich transplant fans whose loyalties are at best divided. Also, from what I understand the tribal group who runs SRF@TS already looked into getting subsidy money from the Indian Authority and were denied, so the only way this happens is if Coyotes ownership ponies up a substantial amount of dough. And if the arena deal goes through, the Coyotes ownership won't have control of any ancillary retail or hotel assets unless they develop it all themselves - which might be a hairy situation given that there is already plenty of shopping and hotel business at Salt River Fields.

To me personally, an arena at SRF is the only possible solution that might have any hope for the future; however, the success of such a venture presupposes behavior from the Coyotes that is definitely not in line with their behavior or philosophy to date. An owner with any financial wherewithal and business acumen would be able to take advantage of the situation - and moreover would want to because of the long-term benefits - but we're working with "clowns and jokers" here...
So as long as the clowns are in charge, they are doomed? They would play in downtown Toronto or New York and they would manage to fail at making any profits!

Old
04-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkilter View Post
That's all well and good, but what happens when after spending all that time and effort when again as has happened in the past fans refuse to drive across town to see games and don't pay the ridiculously cheap price compared to most of the league for NHL hockey? What happens when the building again sits half empty? What happens when again the ownership is hemoraging cash?

In the end the cycle will just begin again.
.... I have a lot more confidence & belief than that offkilter.... glass half full type.... this clubs never had decent ownership, in fact theyve had the worst kind of ownership you could ever have asked for.... combine that with the market crash, sub-prime mortgage meltdown.... not good.... but I do believe even still its a cycle that can be broken, call it hubris, arrogance or whatever but yes, could be saved... Will it?... highly unlikely. There just isnt the money nor the talent to go with.

Old
04-07-2017, 12:05 PM
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser

vCash: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
So as long as the clowns are in charge, they are doomed? They would play in downtown Toronto or New York and they would manage to fail at making any profits!
It's not as simple as that - if they were in Toronto, they could profit despite themselves, and they wouldn't be the first bunch of clowns to do it (I mean, come on - Harold Ballard?).

But in a situation where profits aren't guaranteed - where you need to have a good head for business as well as the ability to overcome your own innate greed to foster the greater good of your enterprise - clown behavior is a pejorative. And it's pretty obvious that this ownership group is catastrophically ill-suited to do what would be necessary to make hockey - or, indeed, ANY sport - work in Arizona.

Old
04-07-2017, 12:55 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
.. And it's pretty obvious that this ownership group is catastrophically ill-suited to do what would be necessary to make hockey - or, indeed, ANY sport - work in Arizona.
Right. And what I found so appalling was that it was so blatantly obvious from the get-go..... from 2009 through Ice~Hedge, in 2013 when LeBlanc resurfaced with Renaissance/IA... better the NHL should have cut bait & run then rather than getting all cute with this abomination... facilitating, enabling a group without a stitch of experience and short pockets... and who.. as impossible as it is to imagine have done even more harm to the market than the NHL, Moyes & Ellman combined.

Old
04-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Snarky Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
ok, here's a billion american dollars for you K, for free. only condition is that you have to buy the team and make a legitimate go of it there. let's say the NHL comes to their senses and wants $250M for it, all yours ... no clowns, no canadians with oil money, nobody else. so you have $750M mad money.

what do you do?

a) stay at GRA? for how long?
b) new marketing? like?
c) dig deep and buy Auston Matthews from the Leafs in a couple years?
d) play nice with Sarver?
e) coordinate with westgate
f) what else?

this is the sort of thing ive been hoping FOR YEARS would have actually happened ... to witness someone who knew what they were doing make a legitimate go. i thought it was actually possible with Jamison, but his pockets were a bit shallow and the league didnt seem all that serious with him for some reason.

Ok here goes ....... ( this may demonstrate why no one lets me invest a billion dollars)

a) stay at GRA? for how long? Offer 100 million for the arena in Westgate. Give city 72 hours to make a decision and promise that we would never ask for another dime, also deny entrance to any present COG member. If Glendale doesn't like it, I will take $300 million and develop my own stadium, in a true public private no money up front partnership. I figure I can get a city to play ball with a $300,000,000 check. Prefer downtown phoenix and or a site on the 101/202 intersection
b) new marketing? Not a huge believer in traditional marketing, do a few billboards and such, but have a very talented creative and twisted social media types and market to the younger set, its all about building the pipe for the next 30 years. I would be controversial and outspoken, think like the lovechild of Mark Cuban and the Kings twitter account. I would hire Jeremy Roenick as a consultant for how to be a star player and make publicity work for you and your team. Take care of my season ticket holders, private entrances, refill cups, make sure everyone has a jersey in the lower bowl as part of the package and fans only section, no alcohol sections, and making sure that the home team is valued. Make it an unbelievable experience to be a fan, have players or coaches deliver tickets, have reasonably priced edible food.
c) dig deep and buy Auston Matthews from the Leafs in a couple years? I don't think he would be affordable, because what I would need to trade right now would be devastating. Maybe have my twitter black ops team run a bring Austin home viral umm unofficially of course but would move heaven and earth to get a top 1c player, knowing that it is going to leave a mark with the cost if he comes in a trade. Preferably breaking the bank in the offseason through FA but if not making the best trade I could.
d) play nice with Sarver? No as a matter of fact I would play dirty, 1st thing I do is offer the arena manager working at Sarver's place 2 million a year to manage my barn. (People don't really understand how small the concert circle is with promoters and managers. Reputation is everything, and location a close second) I would go after every dog and pony show, every 20 year old pop tart and established bands with angst. I would spend 30 million to upgrade my arena to state of the art conditions and make sure that we could compete for every act that is coming to town. We also would compete for every sponsor that is currently in a professional sports relationship.
e) coordinate with Westgate If I get my arena bid and own it, sure, possibly even build up the area. If I am moving based on the COG they would be competition.
f) what else? Ice a steady improving team over the next few years and once stability has been universally acknowledged start adding the pieces we are lacking and compete for the cup. Keep supporting youth hockey, No more cheap tickets hours before the game no more cheesy upgrades. Put a good product on the ice and charge a fair price. Allow the fans to show up, and have players with personality our building their brand and our brand in the community. Give it 6 years with decent ownership and review the balance sheet keeping in mind people don't usually make money in sports, they make money when they cash out their team. If it doesn't work I guess its time to start working on my French.

Money
Plan a (stay in Glendale)
100 mill to plan the arena
30 mill to upgrade electronics
10 mill redo the outside fascia (cosmetics)
up to 50 million to expand lower level concourses, improve eating and drinking, add 2 mid to high end restaurants/clubs.
10 million for arena management team ( includes sponsorships and ticket sales)
(200 mill spent)

Team (assuming the team is losing 35 million a year, and running 20 million under the cap)

1st year - subtract 40 million gm has a real budget of 5m over the cap
2nd year - subtract 40 million gm has a real budget of 5m over the cap
3rd year - ELC contracts start to come due, we made the playoffs in year 2 losses down to 20 million payroll up to 10 million over the cap - subtract 30 million
4th year - More elc contracts up, make hard choices and get rid of any tweeners and 3rd/4th line players that cost too much. Trade several to get the missing pieces, advance to 2nd or 3rd round losses 15 million payroll 15 million subtract 30 million
5th year - Sponsorships advance, ticket prices rise and attendance is way up lose 5 million - were spending 5 mill from cap, and aggressively signing free agents that can push us over. subtract 15 million
Year 6 - we are cup contenders, light rail is extended to arena we go 4 rounds in the playoffs - subtract 10 million

Total cost of losses/increase of payroll 165 million. I am comfortable with losing 10 million a year, as franchise value should greatly exceed that as equity builds.

So 250 million for the team. 200 million on the arena and 165 million on operations and payroll losses totals 615 million - plenty of spare change left for a generational contract or that lacrosse franchise to fill those empty dates. I can also develop vacant land at westgate for profit if its beneficial to me.

Plan B - New Barn
Basically the same except 300 million out of the gate for a new barn.
No need to improve the new arena ( or the old one at that point.)
Sill going to need 10 million up front to get the right arena management team.
Going with the same payroll structure for losses, even though I think a new arena would help year 3 while we are building and year 4 would be a lot better form there
So
310 million on arena
165 million for payroll and losses
30 million for eastside practice facility (also a moneymaker)
total 505 million - lots left over for that generational talent contract, real estate side deals and buying out Tippets contract.

I even have money available if the losses are greater.

Old
04-07-2017, 01:39 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Rumor Friday...

Apparently, with the shake-up at the top, and Andrew Barroway taking charge (maybe)...there has been talk recently that the last and final option in the Valley is with the Talking Stick tribe...

There is some...some movement in that the Coyotes would 'manage' a new arena...if the funding for it comes through with an additional partner (Frankel)...but the sticking point seems to be the surrounding revenue aspect in that the tribe wants to 'share' in the ownership of the new arena...and not give it all to the Coyotes...which number-wise...will not work...unless Frankel, or another Balkan-type player, gets involved...

Still...any new arena, with split ownership (Coyotes and Tribe), is still near dead...just like the bill in the legislation...which is just five days from ending...

Clowns to the left of me...jokers to the right...

Perusing Twitter again I see.....

I was just briefly discussing this there yesterday with krux and one other person.

Old
04-07-2017, 01:59 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:

the real clown and joker will always be Jerry Moyes in the history of pro sports ownership, TFP, who was the the one who forced the NHL to fight to keep that piece of League constitution alive deeming where a member club can play, it's not IA, IMHO, because they weren't the ones who put this club into BK, THEY'RE JUST DOING what should've been done when the League ran the Coyotes, just as Golisano did in Buffalo, after Rigas.

Old
04-07-2017, 03:00 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Seems about right...

Old
04-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
PAINT LIVES!

vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
ok, here's a billion american dollars for you K, for free. only condition is that you have to buy the team and make a legitimate go of it there. let's say the NHL comes to their senses and wants $250M for it, all yours ... no clowns, no canadians with oil money, nobody else. so you have $750M mad money.

what do you do?

a) stay at GRA? for how long?
b) new marketing? like?
c) dig deep and buy Auston Matthews from the Leafs in a couple years?
d) play nice with Sarver?
e) coordinate with westgate
f) what else?

this is the sort of thing ive been hoping FOR YEARS would have actually happened ... to witness someone who knew what they were doing make a legitimate go. i thought it was actually possible with Jamison, but his pockets were a bit shallow and the league didnt seem all that serious with him for some reason.
I think the market pre-bankruptcy could have been saved. The Balsillie baggage put a major damper on the whole thing, but I guess it was still possible.

Now?

I think the market is too far away, both on ice, and off.

Old
04-07-2017, 03:37 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
the real clown and joker will always be Jerry Moyes in the history of pro sports ownership, TFP, who was the the one who forced the NHL to fight to keep that piece of League constitution alive deeming where a member club can play, it's not IA, IMHO, because they weren't the ones who put this club into BK, THEY'RE JUST DOING what should've been done when the League ran the Coyotes, just as Golisano did in Buffalo, after Rigas.
Can`t agree with you Hutch, they should have seriously considered moving the team at that point in time. The NHL by buying the team and failing to procure a legitimate ownership group compounded the issue. The IA debacle falls firmly on GB and the NHL.Sure Moyes was jerk, but the moves made by the NHL since his move are far more egregious IMHO!

Old
04-07-2017, 03:43 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Seems about right...
The only thing they can do to thank the very group they have shafted the last many years! Why put money into crappy little giveaways? The money should be spent on the product, something this dollar short group of owners have failed to recognize since day one when they began finding ways to cut salary. I seem to recall when IA was put in charge Tony was out front talking about all of the money they were going to put into the on ice product, blah, blah, blah. The first of their deceptions. Now the fan appreciation night? Right, what bunch of frauds!!!!

Old
04-07-2017, 03:46 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
The only thing they can do to thank the very group they have shafted the last many years! Why put money into crappy little giveaways? The money should be spent on the product, something this dollar short group of owners have failed to recognize since day one when they began finding ways to cut salary. I seem to recall when IA was put in charge Tony was out front talking about all of the money they were going to put into the on ice product, blah, blah, blah. The first of their deceptions. Now the fan appreciation night? Right, what bunch of frauds!!!!
Maybe...they will giveaway 'ownership' shares, too...

Old
04-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Roadrage

Quote:
Maybe...they will giveaway 'ownership' shares, too...
How much is it worth? Or will the winner owe $$ because of a cash call?

Old
04-07-2017, 04:51 PM
varano

This has to be the last year... Especially with the preemptive tarping of whatever arena they play in.

Old
04-07-2017, 05:07 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
... calm down mesa.... look, those giveaways are about 90% sponsored including the posters with the sticky coupons so c'mon here. Same sort of thing most Quebec Midget AAA, Major Junior & minor-pro clubs do. Its not like their going out & dropping a fortune on VIP Swag Bags like they do with the Grammys, Oscars etc. All in they might be dropping 10 grand if that. IA probably dropping less than a buck per patron. So if you wanna take issue with them for doing this then take issue with them for being so cheap about it. Considering what theyve put everyone through & what theyve robbed from the public purse, they should be spending like Grammy or Oscar event organizers on every single soul who walks through the turnstyles. Jersey, cap, watch, license plate frame, full team signed mini-sticks etc etc etc.... sheet sets... towels... mug & glass sets... key chains... wall clocks.... t-shirts.... those fuzzy warmer thingee's... team jackets.... inner tubes & floatation devices for the swimming pool.... you name it.... load them up with so much Swag they can barely carry it all.

Old
04-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post
How much is it worth?
Only worth what it cost in paper and ink...

Quote:
Or will the winner owe $$ because of a cash call?
Exactly...that part is in the very, very fine print on the 'ownership' share certificate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by varano View Post
This has to be the last year... Especially with the preemptive tarping of whatever arena they play in.
Tarping...the final frontier...

Old
04-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Llama19

Quote:
... calm down mesa.... look, those giveaways are about 90% sponsored including the posters with the sticky coupons so c'mon here. Same sort of thing most Quebec Midget AAA, Major Junior & minor-pro clubs do. Its not like their going out & dropping a fortune on VIP Swag Bags like they do with the Grammys, Oscars etc. All in they might be dropping 10 grand if that. IA probably dropping less than a buck per patron. So if you wanna take issue with them for doing this then take issue with them for being so cheap about it. Considering what theyve put everyone through & what theyve robbed from the public purse, they should be spending like Grammy or Oscar event organizers on every single soul who walks through the turnstyles. Jersey, cap, watch, license plate frame, full team signed mini-sticks etc etc etc.... sheet sets... towels... mug & glass sets... key chains... wall clocks.... t-shirts.... those fuzzy warmer thingee's... team jackets.... inner tubes & floatation devices for the swimming pool.... you name it.... load them up with so much Swag they can barely carry it all.
Well...the discounting has begun...

Old
04-07-2017, 05:24 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Exactly...that part is in the very, very fine print on the 'ownership' share certificate...
... yeah... reminds of a "certificate" and "honor" I once received from the Jack Daniels Distillery having done some work with them years ago.... so one day I receive in the mail this package from them, Lynchburg Tennessee, containing expensive glasswear & other goodies, a letter on bonded paper written in a flourishing script telling me I'd been made an "Honorary Tennessee Squire", a Certificate suitable for wall mounting & sealed wallet card with my name on it for "identification purposes" & so on and... they Deeded me a plot of Land in Moore County that was "presently unregistered but for a nominal fee we can register it for you"... WOW!... ok, Im in.... so I pay the fee, Registered.... awesome... own land in Tennessee, just like Elvis..... but whats this arriving every year thereafter?... Tax Assessment.... and were talkin $1000's Man.

Old
04-07-2017, 05:34 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well...the discounting has begun...
Yep. I stumbled upon a website about a year back, a family discount store chain similar to WalMart in New Zealand that had somehow, from some wholesale jobber I guess acquired Coyotes teamwear. Hoodies, jackets, t-shirts etc. It was the older stuff, before they changed the jerseys, colors. And absolutely dirt cheap. Like $4.99 for a hoodie. NHL Merch Inc clearly taking one Hell of a bath on those togs... But thats what all the leagues do. Loser Stanley Cup, Superbowl teams etc, blow all their items off, selling for nickels on the dollar to the other side the planet. 3rd world countries in some cases.

Old
04-07-2017, 06:19 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Better yet, a new Tesla for all! Payback for the miles driven to and from the East Valley

Old
04-07-2017, 07:07 PM
Llama19

Quote:
Better yet, a new Tesla for all! Payback for the miles driven to and from the East Valley
You need to think BIGGER!

What LeBlanc and company needs is one of those Adopt-a-Highway programs where they do an Adopt-a-Monorail, instead!

That's IT!!

All it takes is for each season ticket holder, to sponsor a section, just a small section mind you...and then they 'maintain' it through a 'licensing' agreement!

BRILLIANT!

Should be easy to build a 20 mile monorail from somewhere downtown, near an existing light rail station!

Old
04-07-2017, 07:37 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
... they Deeded me a plot of Land in Moore County that was "presently unregistered but for a nominal fee we can register it for you"... WOW!... ok, Im in.... so I pay the fee, Registered.... awesome... own land in Tennessee, just like Elvis..... but whats this arriving every year thereafter?... Tax Assessment.... and were talkin $1000's Man.
Well, now you know just how Elaine Scruggs felt, K. Offered a major league team for the nominal fee of donating a plot of land and putting an arena on it . . . awesome . . . now her town owns the heritage of a team that had Hull, Selanne, Roenick. But what's this arriving every year thereafter? "Insurance" payments, AMF fees, mounting debt . . . and we're talkin $1,000,000s, Man! She wasn't laughing, though, nope, not like the laugh emoticon you're able to post after all these years . . . water under the bridge for you, maybe. But not for her. Woman Scorned. Even Bettman and Daly no longer a match for that Anger. Burned.

Last edited by WildGopher: 04-07-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Closed Thread