Jets At The World Hockey Championships 2017

Old
04-10-2017, 10:44 AM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Now Morrissey confirmed

Congrats to JoMo. Should be a good experience.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 11:09 AM
psycho_dad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbraunm View Post
I really hope Laine takes a pass this year. He needs to take a well deserved rest.
I really don't see how he needs all this time to rest. It's not like he is an old person, or even injured.

Would be nice for him to maybe win something this year too. I'm looking forward to seeing him in the WHC and I'd expect seeing Scheifele and Ehlers go would motivate him too.

He can get 2-3 weeks of rest before the WHC even starts. And after that a couple of months.

I really hope he makes the right choice and joins the team.

psycho_dad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 11:10 AM
psycho_dad*

More and more of Jets are lining up to play there. I don't know how Laine could say no.

Old
04-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Aavco Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 01:00 PM
JetsFan815
It can't be done :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
More and more of Jets are lining up to play there. I don't know how Laine could say no.
What does other Jets playing there have to do with Laine?

Quote:
Good. He needs to rest and recover after a gruelling 18 months or so of hockey he's had.

Smart and mature decision by him. Taking the rest of April and all of May off to rest up and recharge your batteries and training in June and July seems like the best course of action for him

JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 01:12 PM
kxx
formerly 'fkdog'

vCash: 5797
Wonder if Pulju suits up for Finland this year.

kxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Now Morrissey confirmed

I'm happy Morrissey will play for Canada!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 01:15 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkdog View Post
Edmonton might keep him around as a black ace. Depends how far the Oilers go

Old
04-10-2017, 01:16 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Not shocked, Maurice said at his news conference today that he thought Laine has played enough hockey in the past 18 months.

Old
04-10-2017, 01:17 PM
kxx
formerly 'fkdog'

vCash: 5797
Quote:
Edmonton might keep him around as a black ace. Depends how far the Oilers go
oh god i totally forgot oilers were in the playoffs.

yeah i'd say he was similar to Connor was this year - had some chops but needed to hone the game. Wouldn't hurt to have him nearby.

kxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 01:31 PM
DeeQ

Good for Laine. He said to the finnish media that he will get 1,5 months more training time when he skips the WHC and that his priority is that next year this time he won't even have to think about the WHC, that they should be in the playoffs. I just hope the finnish media won't rip him apart... They can be brutal.

DeeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 01:45 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeQ View Post
Good for Laine. He said to the finnish media that he will get 1,5 months more training time when he skips the WHC and that his priority is that next year this time he won't even have to think about the WHC, that they should be in the playoffs. I just hope the finnish media won't rip him apart... They can be brutal.
Thanks for that.

Old
04-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Trilliann

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkdog View Post
Very unlikely, they'll take the NHL players they can get and the rest will be KHL-vets and a couple of studs from the Finnish league.

Trilliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 01:55 PM
Trilliann

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Not shocked, Maurice said at his news conference today that he thought Laine has played enough hockey in the past 18 months.
Ya. Laine has sounded just exhausted lately & when asked about WC.
It felt like Maurice was trying to help the poor kid by (uncharacteristically) telling everyone "I don't want him to go, I'd hate to see him there..". And by helping I mean that we crazy Finns won't crucify him for declining

Trilliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 02:13 PM
surixon

Yeah it's probably the correct call for Laine to skip and recharge.

I remeber a story about Paul Kariya back when he was coming back from his first u20 and Lindros told him to recharge, Kariya didn't listen and went and caught something g which kept him out for 2 months. Sometimes the best thing for a person is rest.

Old
04-10-2017, 02:30 PM
psycho_dad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeQ View Post
To me that sounds like he is done representing his country and will represent himself from now on.

Go ahead Finnish media, he deserves the ripping. I know the guy will be one of the greatest hockey players ever in the history of the sport but I truly dislike his decision. This is like when Kiprusoff was the best goalie in the world and never wanted to represent his country.

Yes Patrik, it does look like you will become the best player in the world soon enough, and I support the idea of dedicating all your time to practice for that goal....but this is still a low blow and I am disappointed. Not on board with this decision, but it's not mine to make.

Old
04-10-2017, 02:37 PM
kunekune

Quote:
To me that sounds like he is done representing his country and will represent himself from now on.

Go ahead Finnish media, he deserves the ripping. I know the guy will be one of the greatest hockey players ever in the history of the sport but I truly dislike his decision. This is like when Kiprusoff was the best goalie in the world and never wanted to represent his country.

Yes Patrik, it does look like you will become the best player in the world soon enough, and I support the idea of dedicating all your time to practice for that goal....but this is still a low blow and I am disappointed. Not on board with this decision, but it's not mine to make.
All I can say about this that it was not his dedication. He wanted to play but certain people didn't want it.

Hopefully this will grant him 1st PP time next year.

I'm sure he will play for Finland next time it is possible.

kunekune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 02:40 PM
flyingjay

vCash: 50
As much as I'd love to watch him play in the WC, I'm very glad he's taking the time off. The kid has barely had an off season since the start of the 2015 season. He deserves the rest.

flyingjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Puckatron 3000
Glitchy Prototype

vCash: 50
I strongly support Laine's decision, because it is best for the Jets. And maybe even Laine's overall career - the more you stress your body, the more you risk injury. I can understand why Finns feel differently.

Puckatron 3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 02:50 PM
irunthepeg
Mark ScheifELITE

vCash: 69
Quote:

your name is fitting. The kid is 18, just finished his first full NHL season. If he wants to take a bit of time off, he's entitled to it. He made it to the final of the WHC last year, plus the WCOH this year. He doesn't owe the national team any appearances. He has a job and is getting paid to be the best for that company. If the Jets want him to stay back and focus on off-season training, he'd be best to listen to them, not what Finnish hockey fans want. Even if I wanted to see him, Scheifs, Ehlers or whoever at the WHC, they don't owe me a damn thing. Only the company that pays them.

Plus, he probably doesn't want to play on any team his bro Ehlers isn't on

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 02:51 PM
psycho_dad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunekune View Post
All I can say about this that it was not his dedication. He wanted to play but certain people didn't want it.
He is a fan of Alexander Ovechkin. How about taking a page out of his book. Ovechkin will tell his GM and his coach "**** off" if they want to stop him from representing Russia.

Yeah, he's a kid, I get that. Yeah, it's his career and his life, I get that too. I don't have to respect this decision, even if I respect his incredible talent.

Old
04-10-2017, 02:58 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:

You don't think he'd agree to go to the Olympics? Or the next WCOH?

Old
04-10-2017, 02:59 PM
surixon

Quote:
He is a fan of Alexander Ovechkin. How about taking a page out of his book. Ovechkin will tell his GM and his coach "**** off" if they want to stop him from representing Russia.

Yeah, he's a kid, I get that. Yeah, it's his career and his life, I get that too. I don't have to respect this decision, even if I respect his incredible talent.
Burn out is a very real thing, sometimes the best thing is to recover and not push when your worn out. I get why your pissed at this but he's represented you guys faithfully in the past and will no doubt represent you in the future. I think he's earned the right to take a breather if that's how he truly feels. Your comments are overly harsh on him given what he's done for you guys already.

Old
04-10-2017, 03:00 PM
psycho_dad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
What does other Jets playing there have to do with Laine?
When his teammates show that the season wasn't too much for them to handle, they can still represent their country. I'd be ashamed to decline the opportunity if I had no injuries. Was kinda hoping it would also deter Laine from saying no, but obviously not.

I remember Teemu went to Italy in 1992 or 1993 with a cast on his leg just to do commentary on TV when he could not participate in the actual tournament due to his achilles injury.

Yeah I get why Jets fans welcome this decision. Why aren't they demanding for Schef and Ehlers to bail out like a weasel too though?

Matthews is continuing games, I guess he isn't too tired

Old
04-10-2017, 03:01 PM
psycho_dad*

Quote:
You don't think he'd agree to go to the Olympics? Or the next WCOH?
What olympics are they going to?

And no, WCOH was destroyed last time with the induction of show teams. Has no validity anymore like it used to when it was national teams.