Jets At The World Hockey Championships 2017

Old
04-10-2017, 03:03 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
What olympics are they going to?

And no, WCOH was destroyed last time with the induction of show teams. Has no validity anymore like it used to when it was national teams.
Beijing? Calgary? Just because they don't go this time doesn't mean they never will.

So he will tell Finland the NHLPA and the NHL to pound sand for the next World Cup? Because of fake teams?

The poster was implying he would never play for his country again

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 03:03 PM
psycho_dad*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I think he's earned the right to take a breather if that's how he truly feels.
Of course. I'm not him, I can't know how broken up he is after the season but considering he played the end of the season he isn't totally destroyed. He would have had 3 weeks before the games start and months after the games are done.

It's his right, it's probably best for him and the Jets.

I do not have to like it.

psycho_dad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 03:04 PM
surixon

Quote:
When his teammates show that the season wasn't too much for them to handle, they can still represent their country. I'd be ashamed to decline the opportunity if I had no injuries. Was kinda hoping it would also deter Laine from saying no, but obviously not.

I remember Teemu went to Italy in 1992 or 1993 with a cast on his leg just to do commentary on TV when he could not participate in the actual tournament due to his achilles injury.

Yeah I get why Jets fans welcome this decision. Why aren't they demanding for Schef and Ehlers to bail out like a weasel too though?

Matthews is continuing games, I guess he isn't too tired
Probably because all of the other players going have played multiple seasons in the NA pro environment and are used to the grind. Many of which also where regularly playing 80 plus games of junior hockey a year prior to playing pro as well.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 03:06 PM
psycho_dad*

Quote:
Probably because all of the other players going have played multiple seasons in the NA pro environment and are used to the grind. Many of which also where regularly playing 80 plus games of junior hockey a year prior to playing pro as well.
Yeah Laine played 100+ games last season including two world championships (WJC and WHC) and a world cup.

This time he just needed to do WHC. Too much.

Old
tbcwpg

Quote:
When his teammates show that the season wasn't too much for them to handle, they can still represent their country. I'd be ashamed to decline the opportunity if I had no injuries. Was kinda hoping it would also deter Laine from saying no, but obviously not.

I remember Teemu went to Italy in 1992 or 1993 with a cast on his leg just to do commentary on TV when he could not participate in the actual tournament due to his achilles injury.

Yeah I get why Jets fans welcome this decision. Why aren't they demanding for Schef and Ehlers to bail out like a weasel too though?

Matthews is continuing games, I guess he isn't too tired
Scheifele and Ehlers didn't have the year and a bit that Laine had. Finnish league to the finals, World Championships, World Cup, full 82 game season when you aren't used to it. That's a long year.

Scheifele had no playoffs last year, and played the worlds (I think) and world cup. He's also much more used to the NHL style. Ehlers played even less. Mainly, they didn't look like they were getting tired at the end of the season, and Laine did.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DeeQ

Quote:
To me that sounds like he is done representing his country and will represent himself from now on.

Go ahead Finnish media, he deserves the ripping. I know the guy will be one of the greatest hockey players ever in the history of the sport but I truly dislike his decision. This is like when Kiprusoff was the best goalie in the world and never wanted to represent his country.

Yes Patrik, it does look like you will become the best player in the world soon enough, and I support the idea of dedicating all your time to practice for that goal....but this is still a low blow and I am disappointed. Not on board with this decision, but it's not mine to make.
I understand you. We Finns think that joining the WHC squad is some kind of national duty like joining the army And I like that, it's a part of our culture and I would never change that. It's what makes us a great hockeynation.
BUT I can make an exception here. Laine has played a lot in the past year. He hasn't had a healthy off season in a long time, this could be really important for his future. If he wants to be one of the top players in the league he should be a bit selfish.

DeeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 03:09 PM
psycho_dad*

None of this "reasoning" will convince me this was cool.

A chink in his armor for sure.

And this is not coming from some borderline Laine hater with an agenda. If anything, I'm one of the most outspoken reverends of Church of Laine.

Old
04-10-2017, 03:12 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
None of this "reasoning" will convince me this was cool.

A chink in his armor for sure.

And this is not coming from some borderline Laine hater with an agenda. If anything, I'm one of the most outspoken reverends of Church of Laine.
Maybe you can adopt a Canadian attitude about the World Championships and just not really care about them

Old
04-10-2017, 03:17 PM
psycho_dad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
Scheifele and Ehlers didn't have the year and a bit that Laine had. Finnish league to the finals, World Championships, World Cup, full 82 game season when you aren't used to it. That's a long year.
It is. There is no denying that.

And then looking at human anatomy, about a weeks rest would restore him fully if no injuries looming.

We can all talk about fatigue and wear and tear, but realistically a human body doesn't need months and months to rejuvenate after physical strain. If Laine laid in bed for a week, he'd be physically as rested as he could ever be after a few days and the rest of it would just be killing time.

Physically there isn't an argument to be made here. Mental fatigue could be one thing, but that's not even suggested.

As kunekune earlier suggested (not directly, but I pick up what you're throwing down), this is a decision made by his employer and unfortunately an 18 year old doesn't always understand that he can actually talk back and say "no", especially when you are THE product that they will rely on to sell for the next 10-20 years.

He doesn't understand that Jets have no way of stopping him from doing this.

Or he just doesn't want to, which is the option I don't like to assume.

Old
04-10-2017, 03:18 PM
psycho_dad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
Maybe you can adopt a Canadian attitude about the World Championships and just not really care about them
I live in Canada, now I do have to adopt that attitude. Unfortunately my Canadian friends won't do that, they actually care about it despite the stereotype

Old
04-10-2017, 03:19 PM
randomhockeyfan

I fully agree with psycho_dad on this matter. One thing I like about Ovechkin is how he values playing for Russia, never misses the WHC even after the disappointment of failing in the playoffs year after year and now he's so vocal about NHL's decision about the Olympics. I was hoping Laine would be like him.. Who knows when he will have this opportunity again if the Jets start making the playoffs.

randomhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 03:20 PM
antiqueslivers

I am under the impression that it was probably a decision he and his family made. Like Aavco said its as if he isn't going to being playing for Finland again. This year and a bit in particular has been a crazy a load for any seasoned professional not to mention a 18yr old. Guy is a kid and is still physically and mentally developing and we've all been told or heard how important rest is. If that was my 18yr old son, hell ya I would be telling him to skip this year. (lets not forget he is still recovering from a concussion)

antiqueslivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 03:21 PM
surixon

Quote:
I live in Canada, now I do have to adopt that attitude. Unfortunately my Canadian friends won't do that, they actually care about it despite the stereotype
I actually think it has a pretty big following in Canada. Not as big as in Europe no doubt but I do think we generally cheer and want to win. I think we are a bit more forgiving of players who elect not to partake though.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 03:21 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Haha well the NHL playoffs are more popular but I guess I should amend my stereotypes then. I will watch the finals maybe if Canada and/or Jets players are in it.

Old
04-10-2017, 03:28 PM
psycho_dad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhockeyfan View Post
Who knows when he will have this opportunity again if the Jets start making the playoffs.
Considering how great he is at 18, he won't be available for WHC much if at all in the next 10 years or more. He will always be playing playoffs and going deep in them. Winning a few conn smythes in the process. That is seriously what I anticipate here. If Olympics are not in the NHL's schedule, he could be done with the national team for 10+ years.

He doesn't owe Finland or the fans anything. It's his life, his career. As my opinion is mine to own.

I understand a lot of you don't want to criticize him, and I don't want to do that either unless there is a damn good reason. But as much as I am and will remain a total fan of this incredibly talented hockey player, I will not respect this decision.

Injuries are one thing, if your season just ended (like when players exit on first round of NHL playoffs and just don't want to jump on the plane to get in mid WHC) is another thing. This kid has 3+ weeks before the games even start and NHL season starts in what, 5 months.

Old
04-10-2017, 03:41 PM
psycho_dad*

Quote:
I think we are a bit more forgiving of players who elect not to partake though.
Understandably so because WJC seems to be a bigger deal in NA than WHC is. WHC is considered to be like a "go if you feel like it after a disappointing season for your team, who cares" tournament to most here.

Old
04-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Trilliann

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilliann View Post
that we crazy Finns won't crucify him for declining
I'll take that back..

Trilliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 03:56 PM
kxx
formerly 'fkdog'

vCash: 5797
Quote:
Considering how great he is at 18, he won't be available for WHC much if at all in the next 10 years or more. He will always be playing playoffs and going deep in them. Winning a few conn smythes in the process. That is seriously what I anticipate here. If Olympics are not in the NHL's schedule, he could be done with the national team for 10+ years.
I love your optimism ! And hope you're right !

kxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 03:59 PM
psycho_dad*

Quote:
I'll take that back..
Well you said that we should help Maurice by standing by his suggestions of not having Laine go to the WHC.

I will personally help Maurice in one thing and one thing only. If he needs help packing his ****, or a drive to the airport after he is fired. At that point, I'll pay for his Uber to the airport if he messages me here, because I don't live close enough to do it myself.

Laine deserves all the credit for being the player he is.

But he is not without flaws, and this is one (sure there are good sounding reasons for anyone to pick from). I will criticize him for this, just like I rained down on Kipper back in the day. The fact that I like Laine and think he is the best thing since Lemieux (NHL's version of sliced bread) won't stop me from calling him out when he does things I can't agree with.

Old
04-10-2017, 04:00 PM
JetsFan815
It can't be done :(

Quote:
It is. There is no denying that.

And then looking at human anatomy, about a weeks rest would restore him fully if no injuries looming.

We can all talk about fatigue and wear and tear, but realistically a human body doesn't need months and months to rejuvenate after physical strain. If Laine laid in bed for a week, he'd be physically as rested as he could ever be after a few days and the rest of it would just be killing time.

Physically there isn't an argument to be made here. Mental fatigue could be one thing, but that's not even suggested.
So wait a second, you are suggesting that you- some guy watching the games, sitting in front of his tv, drinking a beer, knows what Laine's body needs to recover better than Laine himself? I just wanna clarify that that is your position on this topic.

Quote:
As kunekune earlier suggested (not directly, but I pick up what you're throwing down), this is a decision made by his employer and unfortunately an 18 year old doesn't always understand that he can actually talk back and say "no", especially when you are THE product that they will rely on to sell for the next 10-20 years.

He doesn't understand that Jets have no way of stopping him from doing this.

kunekune has zero credibility. This same poster had us all fooled claiming that he was getting updates from someone close to Laine when Laine was concussed. Many of us were fooled for a while but those updates were proven to be categorically incorrect once more details emerged. I would not put any stock in any of his posts where he implies he has some kind of insider knowledge, he does not. I have no particular love for the Jets management but I don't think they'll ever stop a player from playing in the World Championships, they never have in the past. The most they could have done is a gentle suggestion but at the end of the day if Laine wanted to he'd be allowed to go.

My guess is that his decision to skip is a mixture of tiredness and wanting to have a healthy summer to train. Last year during the World Championships he hurt his knee which put back his programme even more.

JetsFan815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 04:14 PM
psycho_dad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
So wait a second, you are suggesting that you- some guy watching the games, sitting in front of his tv, drinking a beer, knows what Laine's body needs to recover better than Laine himself? I just wanna clarify that that is your position on this topic.
Laine was able to play ice hockey professionally against the best players in the world until like couple of days ago and he himself said he has no injuries other than a few bruises. You can't play against the best players in the world, unless you are almost 100% physically.

You don't need to be a hockey professional to know how long it takes a human body to recover from extreme physical fatigue. It's not weeks. There are athletes who push themselves waaaaay further than hockey players do over a course of a season, and those people don't need weeks to recharge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
kunekune has zero credibility. This same poster had us all fooled claiming that he was getting updates from someone close to Laine when Laine was concussed. Many of us were fooled for a while but those updates were proven to be categorically incorrect once more details emerged. I would not put any stock in any of his posts where he implies he has some kind of insider knowledge, he does not. I have no particular love for the Jets management but I don't think they'll ever stop a player from playing in the World Championships, they never have in the past. The most they could have done is a gentle suggestion but at the end of the day if Laine wanted to he'd be allowed to go.

My guess is that his decision to skip is a mixture of tiredness and wanting to have a healthy summer to train. Last year during the World Championships he hurt his knee which put back programme even more.
First of all, kunekune did not suggest it was coaching or GM or anyone like that, that was my interpretation, so don't drag his credibility through mud because of what I read out of it.

He hinted that it was not Patrik's personal decision. It was my guess, that this personal decision would have been GM or coach, because his parents have seen him with longer seasons and they are also Finns (close to my age group too) so they would know that it's sort of a privilege and a right, rather than a task or a chore.

And that some people WILL treat the refusal as I have done. PoMo would not have any of such restrictions or thoughts because to him that **** means nothing of course. He has different priorities.

So yeah, I don't think it was parents....could have been but less likely. Management might have said "don't go" because that's pretty much what Maurice said in the media. But it's not managements fault. Laine did not need to listen to them. It's his choice, this is not on PoMo or Chevy even if they heavily influenced it.

Old
04-10-2017, 04:45 PM
sashalaine

Skipping was what I hoped, so I'm very happy with the decision. Sure, short term it's a blow for Team Finland, but long term the long summer will be the best for Laine, for the Jets and for Finnish hockey. Also, how much would it hurt to see him get injured by a coreyperry at WHC?

sashalaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 04:49 PM
JayJay

Quote:

Physically there isn't an argument to be made here.
Mental fatigue could be one thing, but that's not even suggested.

Well you can't know that. Only Laine himself knows how his body feels. He just finished a very long and demanding firts season in the NHL after a pretty short summer so it wouldn't be surprising if he is both physically and mentally exchausted. If that is the case who would benefit if he gets dragged to worlds tired and over pushes it? If there isn't anything left in the tank the player (who ever it is) should sit instead of going to the WHC. We have seen in the past NHLers coming to worlds tired and not really bringing whole lot to the table. If you can't get the best out of you it might be better to decline and let someone else get a chance represent your country. Players should be honest to themselves and to the national team management. If you are all worn out then you need admit it.
Missing one tournament and having some extra rest and good long summer instead might help all the parties in the future. Not just Laine and Jets but also the Finnish national team. You want him to develop and become the best possible player he can be so why not allowing him to have the time out if that helps him to get there? Pushing it too far when tired could mean a need for even longer pause to recover. And that could mean even shorter summer and that wont be ideal for the development. No, I don't know that for sure but I would trust Laine knowing when he needs a break. Probably not a easy decision to make for a young player but if he feels he needs a breather then it is the right decision to make. That doesn't mean he doesn't want to go or wouldn't be honored to represent his country.

JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 04:55 PM
JayJay

Quote:
I'll take that back..

JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 08:09 PM
psycho_dad*

Yeah I can know that. Human body isn't magic. 72 hours tops, for recovery from physical exhaustion. Mentally he might feel drained but physically he is already recovered from the last games stress.

Let alone 3 weeks from now when the games start.

Physically there is no other excuse than injury and there's no indication of that either.