Notices

Jets At The World Hockey Championships 2017

Old
04-10-2017, 08:19 PM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
Yeah I can know that. Human body isn't magic. 72 hours tops, for recovery from physical exhaustion. Mentally he might feel drained but physically he is already recovered from the last games stress.

Let alone 3 weeks from now when the games start.

Physically there is no other excuse than injury and there's no indication of that either.
Please provide evidence for the 72 hour recovery period because I find that hard believe. There is a reason why they have extended off seasons in all major sports.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Please provide evidence for the 72 hour recovery period because I find that hard believe. There is a reason why they have extended off seasons in all major sports.
I've seen it reported that most hockey players lose weight during the season. Up to 10 lbs IIRC. This was reported the year Buff supposedly balooned to over 300lbs during the season and how hard that is for a player to do. Get heavier during the season.

Weight loss is mostly muscle mass. The offseason is when players build strength. IMO Laine has a "plan" He is going to be a "beast" next season.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Festinator

I don't see why it's so bad that an 18 year old wants to go home and spend time with his family and start training for the next season.

Maybe he's not going because he wants to start training sooner rather than later. He knows what he needs to work on, the WHC isn't going to help him with that.

I don't think it's that he's tired and wants to rest, I think he's just motivated to get better and wants to start asap. He'd rather spend that month training than at the WHC.

Festinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 12:03 AM
Zhamnov5GoalGame

Quote:
Yeah I can know that. Human body isn't magic. 72 hours tops, for recovery from physical exhaustion. Mentally he might feel drained but physically he is already recovered from the last games stress.

Physically there is no other excuse than injury and there's no indication of that either.
psycho_dad I've read hundreds of your posts and it's clear how passionate you are but in this case I think you are wrong.
I sit in at national level multi-sport coaching seminars and the science would not support your theory. Player development is done on annual and quadrennial stages. It's my understanding that he lost a recent off season to a major leg injury, then carried straight through the crazy last 18+ months of his rocket to teenage stardom.

He's never spent a summer training his body at the level an NHL player needs to. If he wants to be an elite top player he'll need to work on areas that he hasn't had the chance to before. His body will need rest from this season and that training.

Playing more hockey games this summer will have far less effect on his physical growth then a proper off season of training and rest.

Perhaps if he hadn't had the concussion he would feel differently?
But I think he has a drive to want to be the best and he knows he needs to train like he never has before. If he does anything even similar to what Scheifele has done we will see incredible gains in his first step, his core strength and ability to protect the puck and win board battles.

I know why you want to watch him play... and I get it.
But the best thing for LAINE is to not play.

Zhamnov5GoalGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 01:19 AM
JayJay

Quote:

Is there really need to look for excuses? If he doesn't feel he is ready to go it is his right to decline and everyone needs to respect that. You don't need to like the fact there is no Laine at the worlds but you need to respect his right to make that decision. He has his reasons but he doesn't need to give any explanations. It is his decision to make. There are several factors to take in the consideration not just if he'd like to wear the Team Finland jersey or not. I feel it is mature decision to go "against" the consensus and do what is best for him even with knowing what kind of storm it will raise. He has represented Finland in all possible levels and has stated several times that it is a privilege wear that jersey so it would be a bit hasty to say he is done with the national team. It might not have been an easy decision to make.

3 weeks break before whc will help with the recovery and could be enough to re-charge. But it might also be good time to start the off season training at that point. Going to WHC would postpone the start for 4 to 6 weeks which wouldn't be ideal. At this point of his career long and good summer will help more than playing against Slovenia at the worlds. As a 18 year old he doesn't have the same physical base to build on than a 25 - 30 yrs old has. He doesn't have enough training summers under his belt yet. He is still physically raw and this is the time to get stronger on that area. It might hurt Team Finland this year but in the long run also the national team will benefit better, stronger and physically more durable Laine. He will do this for himself but ultimately the teams he will represent in the future will all benefit from the results.

In order not to turn the jets at the world champs thread all into laine not at the wch thread; do you guys feel there is a chance Connor and/or Roslo might still be added to team USA roster?

JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 09:15 AM
psycho_dad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Is there really need to look for excuses? If he doesn't feel he is ready to go it is his right to decline and everyone needs to respect that. You don't need to like the fact there is no Laine at the worlds but you need to respect his right to make that decision. He has his reasons but he doesn't need to give any explanations. It is his decision to make.
There isn't need for that, but they offered the excuses anyway and those excuses do not fly.

And yes it's his right, I have stated that as well. I just also stated I don't have to like it. That's all.

psycho_dad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 09:21 AM
psycho_dad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov5GoalGame View Post
psycho_dad I've read hundreds of your posts and it's clear how passionate you are but in this case I think you are wrong.
I sit in at national level multi-sport coaching seminars and the science would not support your theory. Player development is done on annual and quadrennial stages. It's my understanding that he lost a recent off season to a major leg injury, then carried straight through the crazy last 18+ months of his rocket to teenage stardom.

He's never spent a summer training his body at the level an NHL player needs to. If he wants to be an elite top player he'll need to work on areas that he hasn't had the chance to before. His body will need rest from this season and that training.

Playing more hockey games this summer will have far less effect on his physical growth then a proper off season of training and rest.

Perhaps if he hadn't had the concussion he would feel differently?
But I think he has a drive to want to be the best and he knows he needs to train like he never has before. If he does anything even similar to what Scheifele has done we will see incredible gains in his first step, his core strength and ability to protect the puck and win board battles.

I know why you want to watch him play... and I get it.
But the best thing for LAINE is to not play.
On the physical side, had he ran 10 marathons in the last couple of weeks, he would probably require a good 3-4 days to recover physically to 100%. But human body doesn't need weeks or months for that, unless it's recovering from a major injury. Of course he would be physically rested when the games start.

And the rest we agree on. Yes it's probably better for him in the long run.

psycho_dad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Is there really need to look for excuses? If he doesn't feel he is ready to go it is his right to decline and everyone needs to respect that. You don't need to like the fact there is no Laine at the worlds but you need to respect his right to make that decision. He has his reasons but he doesn't need to give any explanations. It is his decision to make. There are several factors to take in the consideration not just if he'd like to wear the Team Finland jersey or not. I feel it is mature decision to go "against" the consensus and do what is best for him even with knowing what kind of storm it will raise. He has represented Finland in all possible levels and has stated several times that it is a privilege wear that jersey so it would be a bit hasty to say he is done with the national team. It might not have been an easy decision to make.

3 weeks break before whc will help with the recovery and could be enough to re-charge. But it might also be good time to start the off season training at that point. Going to WHC would postpone the start for 4 to 6 weeks which wouldn't be ideal. At this point of his career long and good summer will help more than playing against Slovenia at the worlds. As a 18 year old he doesn't have the same physical base to build on than a 25 - 30 yrs old has. He doesn't have enough training summers under his belt yet. He is still physically raw and this is the time to get stronger on that area. It might hurt Team Finland this year but in the long run also the national team will benefit better, stronger and physically more durable Laine. He will do this for himself but ultimately the teams he will represent in the future will all benefit from the results.

In order not to turn the jets at the world champs thread all into laine not at the wch thread; do you guys feel there is a chance Connor and/or Roslo might still be added to team USA roster?
If USA get their usual lukewam response from established NHL players I think they will be asked

Old
04-11-2017, 09:38 AM
djc

On That's Hockey this morning, 9 Winnipeg Jets have been invited to the WC. I can account for 6 or 7 names but not 9. Could we have a list of Jets players who have accepted an invitation to play?

djc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 09:43 AM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc View Post
On That's Hockey this morning, 9 Winnipeg Jets have been invited to the WC. I can account for 6 or 7 names but not 9. Could we have a list of Jets players who have accepted an invitation to play?
These are confirmed

Canada - Scheifele Morrissey
USA - Trouba Copp Helle
Denmark - Ehlers

Old
04-11-2017, 12:14 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
These are confirmed

USA - Trouba Copp Helle
Denmark - Ehlers

I thought I read somewhere that Kostalek had been invited to join the Czech team.

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 12:27 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
I thought I read somewhere that Kostalek had been invited to join the Czech team.
I saw that too but I think that's just a selection camp and it hasn't been officially confirmed yet AFAIK

Old
04-11-2017, 12:59 PM
buggs
nanoo nanoo

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
These are confirmed

USA - Trouba Copp Helle
Denmark - Ehlers

It will be interesting to watch Helle to see if he a. gets much playing time and b. if he plays better when uncoupled from Flaherty.

buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Maukkis
ScheifElite

I'm so, so glad that Laine refused to go, purely based on how Finnish media would go insane about it (and some fans, as this thread clearly shows).

I'm a bit surprised about Hellebuyck attending. Then again, it's good to have some Jets in the mix.

Maukkis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 01:12 PM
BB88

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhockeyfan View Post
I fully agree with psycho_dad on this matter. One thing I like about Ovechkin is how he values playing for Russia, never misses the WHC even after the disappointment of failing in the playoffs year after year and now he's so vocal about NHL's decision about the Olympics. I was hoping Laine would be like him.. Who knows when he will have this opportunity again if the Jets start making the playoffs.
Ovy didn't have to do what Laine has to do. Ovy was a beast when he came to NHL, Laine is raw as .....

Laine was the youngest player in the league, Laine suffered a concussion during the season, Laine suffered a knee injury at the Worlds last year which broke his offseason to 5 weeks.

But yeah let's see him hurt his development because of 1 tourney. I rather watch faster& stronger Laine next year competing for Rocket.

BB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 01:57 PM
ICdave

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 02:12 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

vCash: 50
Glad Morrissey is doing this I think it will be good for him.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 06:11 PM
JetsUK

What about Army Joe? Thought he'd get an invite on the basis of his highlight reel shorties alone.

JetsUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 09:30 PM
DeeQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsUK View Post
What about Army Joe? Thought he'd get an invite on the basis of his highlight reel shorties alone.
There's no info. I'm going to be pissed if he wasn't invited. Maybe he was playing through an injury since Maurice said some players did?

DeeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 09:43 PM
uTurris
We the True North

Thinking Laine is doing his military service.

uTurris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2017, 09:47 PM
DeeQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by uTurris View Post
Thinking Laine is doing his military service.
He has over 10 years of time to do that. Wouldn't it be stupid to do that right now?

Old
04-11-2017, 09:49 PM
flyingkiwi
Let's gone Jets

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
It will be interesting to watch Helle to see if he a. gets much playing time and b. if he plays better when uncoupled from Flaherty.
Definitely interested in the answer to b.

flyingkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2017, 02:58 AM
Lempo
I heart Toby Enström

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeQ View Post
He has over 10 years of time to do that. Wouldn't it be stupid to do that right now?
It would be done then, plus there'd be a lot of sports leave with his "hot right now" -status as long as he hangs around in the vicinity, and the army's going to be accommodating if they get a high-profile one to do it with somewhat proper appearances now in the aftermath of there being the ado about the curious service times of the previous NHLers.

If pumping the iron is what he's supposed to do now, he can easily do it in a green t-shirt.

Plus it's a long summer, unlike the next ones when he expects to be in the playoffs. It will also be great fun to see him publicly give that reason for not going to the WHCs. Oh the backlash the full service proponents are going to get.

He obviously can't tell now because all the damn cameramen would be there at the garrison gate on the first day.

Last edited by Lempo: 04-12-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Lempo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2017, 03:18 AM
DeeQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lempo View Post
It would be done then, plus there'd be a lot of sports leave with his "hot right now" -status as long as he hangs around in the vicinity, and the army's going to be accommodating if they get a high-profile one to do it with somewhat proper appearances now in the aftermath of there being the ado about the curious service times of the previous NHLers.

If pumping the iron is what he's supposed to do now, he can easily do it in a green t-shirt.

Plus it's a long summer, unlike the next ones when he expects to be in the playoffs. It will also be great fun to see him publicly give that reason for not going to the WHCs. Oh the backlash the full service proponents are going to get.

He obviously can't tell now because all the damn cameramen would be there at the garrison gate on the first day.
But then it makes no sense that he didn't join the WHC sqaud because doesn't that count as serving the army?

Old
04-12-2017, 06:26 AM
Lempo
I heart Toby Enström

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeQ View Post
But then it makes no sense that he didn't join the WHC sqaud because doesn't that count as serving the army?
Well it damn well should, and Koivu should've been promoted to captain.

Lempo is online now   Reply With Quote